www.neons.org

Home of the Neon Enthusiast
It is currently Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dangerous to drive with a bad strut mount?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:20 am 
Neon Enthusiast

Mine has been bad for quite sometime now, and the reason for this is not because I don't want to change it. Nobody knew what is was, not even the dealer.

But I've (think) I've figured it out now. But the shops all have vacation and don't have time before 1½ weeks. It sounds very bad, is it dangerous like e.g the wheel falling off? 8O

Thanks a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:39 am 
Neon Enthusiast

sounds like every shop you have been dealing with has no business working on cars

ben wrote:
chipdogg wrote:
Wait, why can't the all-knowing Tom do his own headgasket? :?

They don't come in leopard print

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:54 am 
Neon Enthusiast

It could cause you some problems in an bad situation with a bump or hard braking, since the wheel might not be in contact with the road all the time. Plus it should feel the the car is skipping across the road when you hit a bump, especially in a turn.

I'd replace it if the car is worth it. Mine isnt so 4 blown struts and mounts it is!

2003 Dodge SX 2.0 5 Speed
1996 Dodge Intrepid
1995 Plymouth Neon
1995 Dodge Neon
1995 Dodge Neon Sport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:25 am 
Neon Enthusiast

shizzy wrote:
sounds like every shop you have been dealing with has no business working on cars

Yep :roll:

I had to figure it myself with the help of the board..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:26 am 
Neon Enthusiast

kaj27 wrote:
It could cause you some problems in an bad situation with a bump or hard braking, since the wheel might not be in contact with the road all the time. Plus it should feel the the car is skipping across the road when you hit a bump, especially in a turn.

I'd replace it if the car is worth it. Mine isnt so 4 blown struts and mounts it is!

If thats it it aint so bad.. I was scared the suspension would come down, like my friends Renault both sides AT THE SAME TIME!!!! 8O 8O 8O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:34 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Location: For shipping quotes, Porters Lake NS, Canada, B3E 1K3
it is more likely that you have excess play in the mount, rather than a possibility of the strut coming free from it...though it is a possibility.

Are you sure it's the upper mount, and not the spring perch or strut bearing?

1995 Dodge NYG ACR Coupe FOR SALE
1998 Amethyst Dodge DOHC ATX Coupe. Power everything w/ sunroof. Dead parts car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:18 am 
Neon Enthusiast

theCOOP wrote:
it is more likely that you have excess play in the mount, rather than a possibility of the strut coming free from it...though it is a possibility.

Are you sure it's the upper mount, and not the spring perch or strut bearing?

Its not the spring.. But I bought everything (bearing, upper spring seat and strut mount)
seen on this picture:
http://www.neons.org/neontsb/TSB/02/ima ... 98fig2.gif

So I will change everything..

Is a bad bearing dangerous?

Thanks..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:14 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Anything wrong with the suspension is considered dangerous, since it could cause you to lose control of the vehicle.

Just like brakes, if they are not in perfect working order you can argue that your less likely to avoid an accident, thus its dangerous.

Insepct the bad mount, does it look like the top of the strut can pull out of the mount or punch thru it. I'd think it would be almost impossible, but rubber can rip apart and tear away completely, so its possible although I doubt anyone as every seen one that bad. You'd have to go over some pretty extreme bumps or handling at the edge of the envelope to pull the top of the strut out of the mount.

Drive extremely carefully, yea a bad strut mount could cause some extremely surprising responses in handling, not exactly a good combination with speed and cornering. I'd avoid driving, not only for safety but to prevent more damage, if I was too drive, it would be like a little old lady.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:49 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

While were at it... I just bought new struts & springs.

My neon has 95k on it and with my subs in my trunk i have fishtailed around a hard corner. My suspension also bangs if i hit a bump. Does this sound like a topmount issue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:01 am 
Neon Enthusiast

I apologize for my hyjacking of this thread, but I have a relevent question. I get a clunking/clinking noise over bumps that comes from all four corners, but most commonly the front. Its not severe, but you can hear it. Sounds like it is comeing from the wheelwells somewhere. Had balljoints, tie rod ends, and CV joints checked, all were fine. Wheel bearings seem fine. I had always thought upper stut mounts, but the noise is exactly the same pitch as if i tap the strut perch thingy (where the spring sits) with a wrench. Could my springs just be rotating/grinding against the plate making noise? Handles fine, absolutely NO indication anything is wrong by the way it drives, and it has been making these noised for a year now. Will also emmit a noise of the same pitch but not quite as loud when i let the car down from a jack quickly. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:21 am 
Neon Enthusiast

Rick '99 Flame Red R/T wrote:
Anything wrong with the suspension is considered dangerous, since it could cause you to lose control of the vehicle.

Just like brakes, if they are not in perfect working order you can argue that your less likely to avoid an accident, thus its dangerous.

Insepct the bad mount, does it look like the top of the strut can pull out of the mount or punch thru it. I'd think it would be almost impossible, but rubber can rip apart and tear away completely, so its possible although I doubt anyone as every seen one that bad. You'd have to go over some pretty extreme bumps or handling at the edge of the envelope to pull the top of the strut out of the mount.

Drive extremely carefully, yea a bad strut mount could cause some extremely surprising responses in handling, not exactly a good combination with speed and cornering. I'd avoid driving, not only for safety but to prevent more damage, if I was too drive, it would be like a little old lady.

Well everything actually sits pretty tight where it should be, nothing is loose or have play in it.. Thats why it took so long figuring it out. I accidentaly found out by kicking on the wheel and the sound was audiable.
I do drive like an old lady now since I dont want something to happen.
But I'm hopefully getting it fixed this week.

Thanks a lot
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:05 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Location: For shipping quotes, Porters Lake NS, Canada, B3E 1K3
Felikz and blackbeast, both your symptoms (especially noises in the back) sounds like bad upper strut mounts.

When the front upper mounts in the gf's car were bad, it was more of a squishy sound...kinda.

1995 Dodge NYG ACR Coupe FOR SALE
1998 Amethyst Dodge DOHC ATX Coupe. Power everything w/ sunroof. Dead parts car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:36 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

So are upper strut mounts a life threatening issue? The car handles fine, just makes noise, been like this for a year... I wont have the cash to do anything about for at least another month. Thanks for the advice.