It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replaced fuel pump, now no power! 98 neon SOHC
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:39 pm 
New

I replaced my fuel pump, started right up, but now no power, like it just stops getting fuel for maybe 10 seconds, then slowly gets power back, then repeats and looses all its power again. I only replaced the pump, not the resevoir. I did break a little rubber grommet around the 2 wires going into the reservoir to the pump (+ / - wires), so I left that out. Could that possibly be the problem? Starts OK, idles OK, just under load, losses power for period of time and as long as you have foot on the pedal, the engine won't rev. Identical to a flooding out condition on a carburated engine. Any advise on this one? I'm stumped. Fuel rail seems to have pressure.

Post subject: Shifting too!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:23 pm 
New

Also, to add to the above, now seems like it doesn't want to shift from 2nd to 3rd. Really have to play with the gas to get it to shift, most times it won't go into third.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:27 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

what year car
that should throw a CEL (check engine light)
code like TPS most likely - before you change the TPS -unplug it -i know its tight in there but look at the connector to make sure the male or female pins are not corroded also the clamp on throttle body usually heat up insulation on the TPS wires and short sensor and sometimes break the wire
next it could be the coil pack shorted internally - ohms should be @ 11- 13 .. also make sure that plug is not corroded and plugged in all the way
PCV vacuum leak can cause the map sensor to give bad readings and create the same symptoms
well good luck hope this helps

Swiff Ride Space

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:56 pm 
New

i had something like that happen to me it sounds like you have vapor lock if it has a schrader valve on the line than turn the key untill you hear the pump turn on and just push in the middle part (be prepared to have gas sprayed at you) there should be a little air come out before the gas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:54 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

your fuel filter could be bad also what is the reading of the fuel pressure it might not be getting the right ammount of pressure to the injectors

99 DOHC Sport MXT:Mopar FMM, F&R Strut Bars, BC Coils, 16MM Swaybar, AF/X UDP, NG Bobble Strut, Race MMI, EGR Block off Plate, AEM Short Ram Intake, Mopar Performance 2G Muffler, P&P Intake Manifold, 60mm TB, TB & Plenum Spacers, MSD Super Conductors, Accel 19lbs Fuel Injectors, Power Slot Sloted Rotors, HP+ Brake Pads,CM Stage 3 clutch, Booger Bushings,6000K H.I.D,Depo Stealth Black Headlights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:05 pm 
New

It's a 98 SOHC. It feels like a vapor lock. Although makes sense it is TPS. Will check it out this weeKend. No CEL and no codes found. Here's another hting i noticed tonight when I tested it again, when the car is in 1st gear, the gas pedal has a real hard feeling - like a brake that is overpumped. In 2nd gear, a little less hard feel. In drive, it feels nromal. might be TPS overrifing the Cruise Control? This is freakin' me out. I'll check the fuel pressure, but don't thisnk that's it. It has plenty of squirt at the rail, idles fine and rev's up fine in park and in neuteral. Only looses power under load condition. thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:51 pm 
New

OK, checked the ohms on teh TPS and they are fine. Also adjusted the throttle tension cable from the ARX, shifts OK now. Checked the fuel pump and am getting 49 PSI at the FI rail also replaced my batt to bock negative ground cable. Still have the dead spot when I drive this thing. Push it to the floor and it will die momentarily (like 5 seconds), then it comes back to power. I think I must have something wrong when I replaced the fuel pump. It's like under load, starving for fuel. At idle, I can rev it and it's fine, but under load in gear, it dies off. Maybe the el cheapo fuel pump I bought on ebay for $40 is just junk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:32 am 
Global Moderator

spankster wrote:
Maybe the el cheapo fuel pump I bought on ebay for $40 is just junk?

Could be... $40 sounds supsiciously cheap.

You can get a brand new Walbro from Modern Performance for about $100 (plus shipping).

As far as the "missing" grommet goes, I don't think that it would cause your problem.
However, if you are concerned about it, I would go to the junkyard, pull the fuel pump module out of another car, and either take the whole thing or just cannibalize it for parts.

-Nick

-2000 Ply.LX with MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; Magnaflow muffler

-1971 Ply.Scamp SL6cyl. (TRADED for '83 Ddg.Rampage)
-1968 Chry.300 w/440 V8 (sold)
"MoPar or No Car"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:28 pm 
New

thanks. I'm begining to think it is the fuel pressure regulator / filter. When I replaced the pump, I had 49 PSI at the rail just fine, but it would bog down from time to time, like a carburated engine flooding out. Except this is not flooding, it's starving, plugs are white. Compression is OK. So when it died yesterday, brought it into the garage and no pressure at rail, but could hear the pump prime. Let it sit for 1 day, starts right up and runs fine. I'm begining to suspect that the fuel regulator is sticking (check valve?) and causing it to dump fuel back into the tank and not push it up the fuel line to the rail. I've ordered a regulator as this is all I can think it could be because I'm not getting any codes and have good spark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:06 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

pump not sitting properly in module / hose came off / sock came off -- you will have to remove pump and either replace it or open the module and check the internals

Swiff Ride Space

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:34 pm 
New

Swiff, yep, thought that too and already took it aprt a 2nd time. Sock OK, everything appeared to be fine in the module. But maybe it is sloppy in there and it is losing it's vacuum. Will try the regulator and if that isnt it, then a 12 guage pump. That always seems to work on gas tanks...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:06 am 
Neon Enthusiast

I'm having the very same problem with my '98. I know exactly what you mean. I was leaning toward the press. reg./filter myself. It is definatly starving for fuel. I bought the same $40 pump you did so if I figure it out I'll let you know and if you find anything out let me know.........thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:11 am 
New

Hey doubletrouble... maybe the $40 part is only good for 40 minutes of fuel. Come to think of it, I haven't got to 40 minutes yet b4 it dies. I'll try the $27 pressure regulator....wierd thing is, let sit for a while and it will start and run just fine....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:53 am 
Neon Enthusiast

I went to dodge today and got the pres. reg/filter and installed it. STILL does it. doesn't seem as bad but maybe linkr/t has the right idea. I'm gonna go try it in a few minutes, I'll get back to you on that. Any luck on yours?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:29 am 
Neon Enthusiast

Ok, just went out and tried to purge the air from the fuel rail via the shrader valve and still no change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:39 am 
New

Haven't changed it out yet. I ordered the part and should be here today or 'morrow. How much fuel did you put back in after you changed the pump? Somewhere I thought I read you needed like min 4 gals to get the pump to prime properly. I think I put in just about that much.....Maybe if you change air fresheners?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:27 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

And so it continues.
I have a 95' mtx. Died on me on the interstate. Thought I ran out of fuel. Was able to coast it off the ramp, and actually right up to a gas pump. How lucky is that???
Only took 7.5 gallons to fill up, so I know I wasn't empty. Got a ride, and replaced fuel filter. Nope.
I did swap the fuse, and the relay, still no luck.
Where on the car is the fuel pressure regulator???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:29 am 
Neon Enthusiast

I put about 8 gallons back in when I swapped it out . Oh, the air freshener is new........lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:36 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

fuel pressure regulator is in the gas tank, check your wiring harness next to the drivers side strut tower. I had the same problem and it turned out my hood release cable had rubbed/worn a hole into the wiring harness and shorted a wire that killed the fuel pump. Its a red/white wire just so u know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:39 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

I'm gonna try one more thing either fri or sat. If that don't work then I'm just gonna order the walbro and get this over with. I noticed a considerable difference in the p/u screens when I changed the pump. I wonder if that may have anything to do with it? I will swap them an double check that the pump is seated at both ends and try one last time.
And Keppy, the pres reg is on the outside of the pump module. You have to push a tab down to twist it out and reverse to install. Only takes 5 minutes to change it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:44 am 
New

I got the FP reg yesterday, but no time to install. Will try it tonight - DBL, I noticed the same thing on the sock, but I think I threw my old one away. Let me know if that works for you and I'll put a crew neck on mine. Anyways, I'll try the reg and if that doesn't work try again one more time to pry that plastic jug apart. Now I did notice that you are supposed to disassemble the wires at the connector. I never did; just disconnected with wires on the connector. For that reason I had a helluva time getting the pump back in there and sitting what I thought was correct. Check out this link - explians it pretty well.

http://www.angelfire.com/space/neon/fuelpump.html

I did clean the car out inside after 4 years of my daughters trash inside. found $.26 and 5 cd's, but all that didn't help it run any better. Ain't gonna get an air freshener until it runs again - car is on probation for now.... :wall:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:20 am 
Neon Enthusiast

I looked at the link and that is for a walbro pump. The one I've got ( and probably the one you have ) installs with the factory wires. You just slip on the spade connectors to the tabs. I may not get out to mess with mine again til saturday but I'll get back to you as soon as I do with any results, good I hope.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:44 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

I finally got out to the garage today and took it all apart again. Then after reassembling everything I was sure the pump was seated on both ends and I used the factory screen and after all of this no change! I would have to say the cheap-o pump is the problem. I'll be ordering a walbro soon. I looked at the original pump and it was also a walbro so, had I seen that first I probably would have went that way in the begining. I guess this was a lesson on you get what you pay for. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:32 pm 
New

Yep, I came to same conclusion. Went to pick a part bought a whole used assy for $20. Put it in and car runs great! I bought that cjheapo pump on ebay from global automotive for $34.95 + $7 for shipping. I'm going to ask for my money back or give them bad feedback. What a piece of junk! Like u said, lesson learned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:39 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Made in China FTW!!!

2004 BMW 325i no sunroof and 5sp. 3.46 diff

Sponsor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:16 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

wow, I called a local salvage yard around here and they wanted $85 for a pump module with 88,000 miles on it (supposedly). With the new reg/filter already instelled in mine I'm just gonna get the walbro from Modern Performance and be done with it. I got the same cheap POS you did from global. Let me know what they have to say. I'm gonna look there phone# up and call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:28 am 
Neon Enthusiast

I finally have this all sorted out ! I have installed the walbro pump and all is well in the fuel system now. No more cheap-o pump and problem solved. I did contact Global Automotive and was told my $$ would be refunded.

Post subject: Re: Replaced fuel pump, now no power! 98 neon SOHC
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:34 am 
Neon Enthusiast

WOW ! I wish I had read this post a couple of weeks ago. It should be a sticky.

I bought one of those pumps (Thinking I was getting a good deal) from Global Automotive via eBAy "buy it now" for $34.95 plus $7.05 shipping and it stopped delivering fuel with 3 gallons of gasoline in the tank! Above 1/2 tank eveything is fine. Between 1/2 and 1/4 tank the engine hessitates sometimes. The closer to 1/4 the more it acts up. The pump was NOT a good deal at all !

Where did you get the Walbro pump ? Did you get a refund check yet from Global Automotive. Do you still have their telephone number ? Who did you talk to at Global ?

According to the warranty I read they will only replace the pump with another one IF I pay shipping to send the old one back and also pay shipping to send a replacement to me. Not much of a warranty if I get another pump that doesn't work right with less than 1/2 tankful of gas. SEP is the brand name stamped into the pump body.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:39 am 
Global Moderator

JUST BUY THE WALBRO PUMP FROM MODERN PERFORMANCE, FER CHRISSAKES and get it over with !! :yes:

http://www.modernperformance.com/produc ... ts_id=1192

AVOID cheap JUNK that is MADE IN CHINA !!!

GO USA !! :good:

- Nick

-2000 Ply.LX with MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; Magnaflow muffler

-1971 Ply.Scamp SL6cyl. (TRADED for '83 Ddg.Rampage)
-1968 Chry.300 w/440 V8 (sold)
"MoPar or No Car"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:44 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

I ordered the Walbro from modern performance yesterday. It should be here by this weekend.

Thanks for the advice everyone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:25 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

The Walbro pump from modernperformance did the trick just as everyone told me it would. Thank you. Now for my next catastrope check my other postings ... bad head gasket ! UGGH !