It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to remove harmonic damper?
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:33 am 
Neon Enthusiast

Trying to replace the timing belt on my 95 SOHC.

I spent all day yesterday trying to remove the crank pulley so I could get the timing cover off. It WOULD NOT BUDGE!.

I soaked it heavily with PB Blaster, tapped it a lot with a rubber mallet, and destroyed two gear pullers in the process.

Are there any tricks to this, or could I possibly be doing something wrong? This is the first time I've ever attempted to do this. I'm trying to replace the head, head gasket, timing belt and water pump all in one shot. I've got everything apart, but can't get the head off because I can't get the damn harmonic balancer to budge! Please help!

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:44 am 
Neon Enthusiast

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=237728

3.0 Intake, Flowmaster Exhaust, MPx Underdrive Pulley, Suspension Techniques Sway Bars, Prothane Sway Bar bushings and endlinks, Depo Diamond Clear Headlights and Turn Signals, Prothane Lower Control Arm Bushings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:46 am 
Neon Enthusiast

Yep. When I did my timing belt/water pump/tensioner I broke 2 also. I finally bought a 3rd one at a different store and it worked fine.
I bought my first ones at Murray's Discount Auto Parts. I bought the 3rd at Autozone. It worked much better.

Good luck.

Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:30 am 
Neon Enthusiast

chrysler harmonic balancer puller

ask for it by name at autozone

I am part of the .1% of the population to have finished a marathon. Isaiah 40:31 is the only thing that got me through it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:49 pm 
Global Moderator

BigEfries wrote:
chrysler harmonic balancer puller

ask for it by name at autozone

what he said use it all the time never had one problem getting a pulley off on all of the neons I owned which was a lot of em. Only bad thing is the stupid insert they give you is short. I have a square head bit for my drill that I toss in the bolt hole on the large bolt then put the insert in which gives me enough room to pull it all the way. No idea why it's like maybe 1/2 inch short.

But with this and the insert you shouldn't have a issue.

Air tools are a major plus too. If you were pushing against the pulley then that's why you can't do that as the center part is not the crankshaft it's the actual pulley which is why alot of people have issues. remove the bolt toss the insert in and push against the insert.

Lorenzo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:59 pm 
New

I too had serious difficulty trying to remove the crank pulley, and eventually had to give up and put everything back together again! I'm ready to give it another go once I have a good plan. Before, I was using a generic puller, and it would either slip off my ghetto insert, or I would be cranking so hard with the pry bar that I simply couldn't tighten the puller anymore. I was also starting to damage the inner timing belt cover with the prybar I was using to wedge the pulley from turning.

Sounds like the combo of the Autozone special tool and having somebody stand on the brakes while in 5th should do the trick!

Thanks for the post and the replies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:40 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

I would suggest AIR if you have access to it.
Makes life much much easier..
S

viewtopic.php?p=1833564#1833564

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:41 am 
Global Moderator

Air makes it a simple job. Also about the wedging part. Have someone get in the car and stand on the brakes while you do it. Or if you have a crappy screwdriver shove it in the veins of the rotor which will then rest on the knuckle and hold everything from turning. This will also hold it still.

Then for the install heat it up so the metal expands and you can pretty much slide it all the way down on the crank till it bottoms out then just a quick tigthen of the bolt and your good.

Then once it cools put the belts on and finish the job up.

This is another job that air tools make life so much easier. One reason I am glad I bit the bullet and bought my compressor.

Lorenzo

Post subject: Sears sells a good three legged puller
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:40 am 
Neon Enthusiast

I had to improvise an insert that was an old nut with a washer made onto it. I've changed timing belts on two of my four neons with this rig, no compress air yet.

The problem I've had is the cover is so dang fragile. I broke the first trying to wedge the crank, the second trying to get the motor mount off but forgot the remove the tailpipe where the motor couldn't move enough. At least they are only about $40...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:19 pm 
New

Puller and torch. Thats how I got mine off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:28 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

The chrysler puller is all but indestructable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:16 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

I bought a Harbor Freight puller set a few years ago. When I went to pull my front pulley/balancer, I had to assemble a good puller from parts of two of the set of three. Buy good tools!

Post subject: Re: How to remove harmonic damper?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:19 pm 
New

I'm kinda doing the same thing the original poster is doing... my neon's water pump seized and the timing belt shredded, got a DOHC, and a bent valve or two.. *sigh*.. but anyways, I can't seem to understand how to get the damper/harmonic balancer off. Okay so when I look at it, what I see is a big pulley (that's the damper also, right?) and a big bolt in the center holding it in place.
I have the Chilton book, and it says to loosen that bolt, but not remove it, and then use a suitable 3-jawed puller.

Two issues:
I can't get the bolt to loosen at all. Everything just starts turning and I don't know of a safe way to stop the engine from moving. Can't do the 5th gear trick since I have an automatic, and no matter what gear I put the automatic in, everything still spins like there's no difference. I read that I could stop the flywheel around the starter, but it seems like it will be a pain to get to there. I think I'll just borrow an impact wrench.... it's just annoying because in the book, they show a picture of someone with a ratchet, making it appear effortless to remove that damn bolt.

Also, I don't understand how you can leave the bolt on, and then use the puller. It doesn't make sense to me. Is the book lying to me? Because yeah, I don't see how it's possible with the bolt on there.

Also also, I just want to be sure, because I've seen so many mess-ups on this forum and I don't want to add to it... you turn it counter-clockwise like any other bolt, right?

By the way, I do have the "Chrysler Harmonic Damper Puller"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:07 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

SirTobias224 wrote:
Two issues:
I can't get the bolt to loosen at all. Everything just starts turning and I don't know of a safe way to stop the engine from moving. Can't do the 5th gear trick since I have an automatic, and no matter what gear I put the automatic in, everything still spins like there's no difference.

You need to stick a very large screwdriver or prybar through one of the large holes toward the outside of the harmonic balancer and wedge the screwdriver/prybar between the balancer and the bottom flange of the oil pump housing. Look for the 8mm bolt holding the timing cover on to the left of the crankshaft and stick the screwdriver/prybar in to the right of that, resting against the flange below it. DO NOT put pressure onto the plastic timing cover.

You'll need to hold the screwdriver/prybar firmly in place to prevent the harmonic balancer/crankshaft from turning while you or a helper turn the puller bolt.

1997 Plymouth neon expresso
1988 Dodge Power Ram
1984 Dodge RamCharger
1996 Jeep Cherokee
1999 Jeep Cherokee

And the people bowed and prayed to the neon god they made.
-Simon and Garfunkel, "The Sound of Silence"

Last edited by sandstone on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:13 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

SirTobias224 wrote:

Also, I don't understand how you can leave the bolt on, and then use the puller. It doesn't make sense to me. Is the book lying to me? Because yeah, I don't see how it's possible with the bolt on there.

Some people just tighten the puller against the loosened bolt and then loosen the bolt some more as the damper gradually comes off.

I've got the Miller tool and insert and these are worth their weight in gold. If you intend to keep your neon on get more neons, then get the Miller tool.

1988 Dodge Power Ram
1984 Dodge RamCharger
1996 Jeep Cherokee
1999 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:15 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

SirTobias224 wrote:

Also also, I just want to be sure, because I've seen so many mess-ups on this forum and I don't want to add to it... you turn it counter-clockwise like any other bolt, right?

By the way, I do have the "Chrysler Harmonic Damper Puller"

To remove the bolt holding the damper to the crankshaft, you turn the bolt counter-clockwise. To pull the damper off of the crankshaft, you turn the puller bolt clockwise.

1988 Dodge Power Ram
1984 Dodge RamCharger
1996 Jeep Cherokee
1999 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:35 pm 
New

Got it off! Thank you for helping me out

I used a giant prybar where you said, and got it loose pretty quick by using a breaker bar + many extensions + big block of wood for a stand. It was amazing.

I did run into trouble with the puller I had. First of all, I decided that using the crankshaft bolt instead of an insert could ruin stuff. So yeah, the longest insert just wasn't long enough... of course I started to get creative and searched around the garage for anything to put into the puller bolt to make the insert stick out further... I didn't even want to think about trying to put something in the crankshaft area to make it work... I've heard bad things on these forums....
but anyways, with putting stuff in the puller bolt, I found out putting a smaller bolt inside is a terrible idea......... I even tried using a washer and carefully balancing everything, but that proved stupid and I stopped before any damage was done. Yeah call me stupid for trying to be resourceful... BUT I did find something that worked really well, a socket for a small ratchet! Just set it in the puller bolt... worked perfectly and nothing was bent!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:34 pm 
Global Moderator

Where to safely wedge a large screwdriver to loosen or tighten the crankbolt.

Another safe place:

Old head bolt with threads ground off for an insert:

98 Sport Coupe Alpine Green ATX stock
98 Sport Coupe Amethyst ATX to MTX swap (son's)
97 Expresso Coupe Black ATX stock (daughter's)
97 Sport Coupe Magenta ATX stock (wife's)
95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored to stock)
03 Dakota QC 4.7 4x4 ATX Patriot Blue stock

Can your key can be made from one of the free keys?
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=402268