It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Car broke down yet again! Stalls after warms up and.....
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:38 pm 
Global Moderator

The car starts runs fine drives fine warms up and about 5 miles into the drive it stalls out tach jumps backfires a bit and shuts off. Wait 5-10 min and starts right back up runs fine for another 1-2 miles then does it again.

Now I did test fuel pressure when this happens as I did run the car once with the gauge hooked up and it didn't drop when it shut off so I don't think it's fuel related. It has to have a broken wire somewhere that when the car warms up it causes this. I have tried new cam and crank sensors as well as a map sensor and it doesn't make a difference.

I am at a loss other then a wire harness problem.

So probably will start looking for a wire harness to see if it is the problem. So if anyone reads this and has a good 97-99 wire harness that's not cut and in good shape off a good running car please let me know I will have a WTB post up in a few min.

Thanks,
Lorenzo

Post subject: Re: Car broke down yet again! Stalls after warms up and.....
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:52 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Shame, I just sold my Harness :sad:

Are any of your wires rubbing against the big engine ground that goes from the head to the chassis? That'd fock things up pretty good, especially if its the ASD wire....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:54 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

everytime i hear this issue it has to with the crank sensor somehow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:54 pm 
Global Moderator

Well I don't see any issues that are visible. I ripped up the area by the driver side of the head to see if any in that bundle are messed up and they weren't either. I have put 3-4 different crank sensors in the car that I had from my other cars which worked fine on them as well as a brand new one I bought just in case. No difference still shuts off when warmed up.

I am at a total loss right now I know it has to be electrical something had to get pinched somewhere or a wire damaged but finding it is horrible I have no CEL light at all just car stalls wait 5-10 min and starts again. Like one person said crank sensors are known for this but I have changed them with multiple units and still does same thing.

I just don't know what to do.

Lorenzo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:55 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Lorenzo wrote:
I just don't know what to do

Sure you do....find a cliff, push problem over the side :grin:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:58 am 
New

Have you tried swapping out the ecm or the coil pack with known good ones?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:08 pm 
Global Moderator

Yes, I have done that as well this is what I have done since I have so many neon parts from parting cars out over the years that it's nice in a way when it comes to this stuff.

But I have tried swapping coil packs with one that works and no good on it. I have swapped a mopar performance computer in as well and it still does the same thing. I have changed cam sensor multiple times with multiple ones I have same goes for crank sensor. I have swapped brand new map sensor in as well for leaf spring juice and giggles and still same thing. I have tried using my plug wires from my SRT since they are he only spare ones I had of those to see if a wire was just crapping out or something same thing. I have changed the injectors with known working ones as well as even swapped out the wiring because I had a few clips busted so figured maybe they got loose causing it and that didn't help. I swear the only 2 things left I can possibly think of are the wiring harness or the fuel pump. EVEN though fuel pressure didn't drop on my gauge when it went which I have a new fuel pump so might just do that for the hell of it. It's not that hard to swap them out 2 bolts and the clamp around the filler neck and disconnect the fuel line and it's out. Then will just remove it while the tank is out of the car makes for getting that ring off easier and no mess with fuel since I can stand the tank up.

Then will swap in a new pump and go from there.

Anyways I have no clue I figure if I can find a engine harness somewhere on here reasonable and swap the fuel pump and it still doesn't work only thing I have left to do is take it to the dealership and see if they can figure it out because I totally exhausted myself of what it could be.

Lorenzo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:26 am 
Neon Enthusiast

A friend of mine was just having a similar problem with his 95 dohc. It would run great from start up and for about 10-15 minutes. It would then stumble and die. Turns out he didnt have his downstream O2 sensor plugged in after the engine was dropped in. Bad O2 sensor maybe?

95 red sport coupe. Passed on to a good friend.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:16 pm 
Global Moderator

I dunno it's plugged in for sure I know that is a definate. But with the mopar PCM I know on the 95's it doesn't read the downstream O2 I believe not sure about the 97-99's though

But just changed fuel pump for the hell of it as I had a spare here which was brand new and does the same thing fired the car up just now ran for 27 min before it started to stumble and studder then ultimately die. It's really driving me for a loop on this one. I have a wire harness that's supposed to ship out today and be here wed if it was shipped priority mail so will see if that does anything. Guess if that doesn't work I will drive it to the dealership and see what they say if anything. Because I am running out of choices on what it could be and it's really driving me nuts.

Lorenzo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:50 pm 
Global Moderator

Well got a wire harness today installed it and same thing this time it lasted 31 minutes before it shut off at idle sitting in my garage.

I have no freaking clue what to do and what is causing this now. It's really starting to leaf spring juice me off!

Lorenzo :ireful: :mad:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:09 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Water temp sensor....f'd up and when car gets to operating temp goes into limp-pen0r mode and shuts down? :dunno:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:39 pm 
Global Moderator

Mike_44_NJ_Devils wrote:
Water temp sensor....f'd up and when car gets to operating temp goes into limp-pen0r mode and shuts down? :dunno:

Will a water temp sensor cause a car to shut down? I mean the car is still warn and after it shuts down if I wait a bit the car will start again even when warm. It's really strange just won't last a long when it's warm. I didn't think a temp sensor will cause a car to shut down I know it will cause it to show overheating etc. I dunno never tried to even start the car without the temp sensor hooked up to see what it would do.

Lorenzo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:05 pm 
Yellow Cake

Fuel Filter.

First Generation Part Numbers

Feedback Thread

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:10 am 
Global Moderator

I have 49 PSI at the fuel rail at all times even after it shuts off. I never dropped on the gauge till a bit later after shut down and it bleeds off. So don't think it's fuel related at all.

I have a feeling whatever is causing it is causing a spark issue or something I know I had issues getting spark only on 2 of the coils not too long ago for some reason figured the wire harness would fix the issue since I changed about everything else in the darn car.

Lorenzo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:57 am 
New

Mike_44_NJ_Devils wrote:

Mike, is that a guess, or have you heard of that happening. At this point, I would be willing to try anything.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:15 pm 
New

you still haveing a prob. i have run across this in my 98 rt, last week. it would start up warm up and drive acouple of miles and it would just shut off... it blew the eng/ing feed (coil) fuse. so i looked at modernperf. and they have a coil/plug heat shealdfor like 18.oo. just maid my own and have not had it shut off yet.. to make long story short my msd coil was getting to hot and it auto/shutdown befor it did any damage..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:38 pm 
Global Moderator

I tried changing the coil if the coil couldn't take the heat then the coil is probably bad. I tried putting another one and it's not like this is a turbo car with a big turbo making gobs of heat back there. I can see this on a srt turbo setup or anything that can make a ton of heat. I just have a megan racing manifold on it since my stock one cracked. But it's basically like a stock neon for me as it's only a daily driver bit.

Just can't see putting a shield on the coil making it stop doing this. Hell I run the car with the hood open too so there is no way the heat from the exhaust manifold is causing it to shut down.

Lorenzo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:26 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

sensors are a likely cause but it could also be a clogged catalytic converter i had this happen on one of my neons. junk in the converter would clog the exhaust flow and cause the car to randomly stall out took forever to figure out the problem.

as far as sensors go a 97-99 will start and run without the cam sensor plugged in it just cranks a little longer than usual, i would unplug that so you know its not the problem. if you already changed crank sensors i guess thats not the problem try changing 02 sensors and try the temp sensor, never heard of that causing the car to die though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:33 pm 
Global Moderator

I knew about the cam sensor bit figured that out years and years ago think I was the first person to post that ages ago when I had one fail on me and just tried it for the hell of it and it started with it unplugged but wouldn't when plugged in. I was shocked when it did that hell I didn't even live on my own at the time was living with my parents when that happened.

But I know a CTS can cause crazy things but didn't know if it would cause it to stall or not. I don't think O2's will either had plenty of bad O2s will make car run like crap but never had one do this after warming up....

I have some spare CTS's so will try to change that out since it's not really hard to do.

I guess I can try unplugging it again hell I can do that after I change the coolant temp sensor if it stays running then will plug it back in and test it again for the hell of it to know if it was the CTS or cam sensor but if it stalls then I know for sure neither were the issue.

Someone did mention about the cat being plugged up sucks as I have a spare but the problem is I have a megan racing exhaust so had to cut and weld the one I have on it to try the spare out. I guess if worse case comes I can do that really didn't want to as it will be a pain to do it again but guess it won't hurt. I don't smell anything smelly though and it seems exhaust comes out fine stalls out both at idle and driving too and right around the 30 min mark every time.

Lorenzo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:53 am 
Neon Enthusiast

just read your post, having any luck??

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:54 pm 
Neon Mechanic

I know you replaced the engine harness, but my buddy doug has a similar problem,

Doug95Neon wrote:
This post originally posted 3 days ago:
I thought I didn't have my hands full enough as it was so I started another project on the car before finishing the last one. For this one I REALLY have to turn back time and refresh some memories.

I bought the car for $300.00 because of numerous problems of which a no-start condition was one of them. The factory harness had melted together due to oil saturation from the head gasket leak. A new crank sensor and a quick wiring repair put the car back in the driveable condition though the headgasket was still leaking. After doing a bunch of other stuff to it over the next couple of months I developed an injector wiring issue. I again patched the harness and went on my marry way. Well, one thing led to another and I ended up needing a different injector wiring repair and decided I had patched things together one too many times and I'd just get a new harness.

As most of you know I'm pretty thorough and try to do right, the first time, so as not to have to do over later. Well... I'm doing over. In my quest for speed I upgraded to a second generation neon exhaust manifold. Longer runners, better flowing and bolts right up to the SRT-4 cat and cat-back. In my haste for speed I didn't put any heat shields back on it. After a couple of years my NEW harness now behaves like the old. The car cuts out from time to time, lights kinda flicker and well, it's all but impossible to pin point what's going on but when you see a problem you fix it.

I had noticed a few weeks ago that the section of wiring on the back side of the block wasn't looking so swift. I already had a number of plans in the works and thought I could get through those before addressing the wiring. After the suspension work this week the neon became more and more difficult to keep running, stalling out at stop lights and foot-off-throttle conditions, headlights flickering and finally it popped my 100 amp circuit breaker at the battery. Enough is enough, another brand new harness came in today and the old is off the car.

Even Dakota isn't happy with my laziness:

In the section of wiring that's partially fused together is the crank sensor circuitry, altenator circuitry including large gauge wire leading to battery +, both o2 sensors, oil pressure sending unit and the vehicle speed sensor. Basically, a lot of stuff that can directly affect keeping the car running.

I'll swap out some connectors on the new harness tomorrow (some newer sensors required a connector upgrade) and hopefully be back on the road tomorrow night.
Doug

Feedback: http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=382275

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:54 pm 
Global Moderator

Mine runs fine though for 30 min then shuts off like clockwork every time after 30 min of running. I sit and let it cool down a bit then boom fires up perfectly again runs idles perfectly fine and then does it all over again. Took me a while to get it home the first time as they said the tow company was extremely back logged and it would be a while before they got to me. So told them I am going to try over and over till I get home and to call me when they are ready. Needless to say I got it home 2 hours later and they called for the tow part as I was not even a min from my house and told them forget it I am pulling down the road now to my house.

The last few times I got it towed as it was faster. 15 min and they were there hooking me up.

That's what is driving me nuts it so seems like a crank sensor issue. I honestly am lost. No new news on this yet I will be taking it to the dealership though on wed. I will drop it off tues night as it's only a 7-8 min ride from my house so I will be able to drive it there without it breaking down on me to drop it off then pray whatever wiring or sensor wiring or sensor period is messing up they hopefully will be able to see it with the scan tool when it does act up then I will just have to go from there.

Lorenzo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:23 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

coconut711v wrote:
Mike_44_NJ_Devils wrote:

Mike, is that a guess, or have you heard of that happening. At this point, I would be willing to try anything.

I'll read the rest of this thread in a second.

No, I've not heard of this happening, however a fairly modded DOHC made about 80 HP on a dyno with a bad water temp sensor.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:47 pm 
Global Moderator

It's official dropped it off at the dealership tonight so they can look at it tomorrow. Didn't feel like finding a ride as my wife works till 5 so figured best to drop it off today and toss keys in drop box for em. So crossing my fingers they can figure it out and see what is going on or at least why it's shutting off. Praying the scanner tool they have will see what sensor or whatever is causing it malfunction and shut down.

I hope they figure it out can't stand not having the car and my wife is sick of spending 2 times the amount in fuel to get to work with her SUV.

If they don't I have no clue what I am going to do.

Lorenzo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:57 am 
Global Moderator

Lorenzo wrote:
I hope they figure it out can't stand not having the car and my wife is sick of spending 2 times the amount in fuel to get to work with her SUV.

Lorenzo

Hey, look at the BRIGHT side..... It's an EXCUSE to trade-in the SUV. :grin:

- Nick

-2000 Ply.LX with MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; Magnaflow muffler

-1971 Ply.Scamp SL6cyl. (TRADED for '83 Ddg.Rampage)
-1968 Chry.300 w/440 V8 (sold)
"MoPar or No Car"

Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:32 pm 
Global Moderator

NickKo wrote:
Lorenzo wrote:

Lorenzo

Hey, look at the BRIGHT side..... It's an EXCUSE to trade-in the SUV. :grin:

- Nick

She just got the thing cause we needed a bigger car because of our child. Can't have just the neons... Anyways it's just a crossover the mazda CX7 turbo it's nice I like it alot just sucks for gas milage.

But anyways car is still at the dealership they didn't figure it out today they said it's a loosing spark and had me drop off some things which I don't think are going to help as I have already done the same thing but hey who knows. But will see went out and bought brand new parts though instead of giving them used ones I had just in case something is wrong with them. But regardless hopefully they will figure it out tomorrow if so great if not will keep waiting as I gave up days ago and it's been sitting since.

As soon as they figure it out I will update the post for sure cause it truly boggled my mind as well as many other people in this town.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:35 pm 
Global Moderator

Well confused dealership today but ended up figuring it out. They thought for sure it was cam sensor because of what he saw on his scanner how the signals dropped off when it was ready to stall. So they changed it I brought them down one to install and it didn't help. So tried it again and decided they were going to change the crank sensor. Cleaned the connector plug up as it had a bit of oil pulled the BRAND NEW crank sensor out and the connector part was FULL OF OIL. Put new sensor in and car runs perfectly FINE!

I am like what I put a bunch of sensors in it changed everything in the world never changed the new sensor after I installed it!

I am so leaf spring juice it's not even funny.

Good part they charged me 40 bucks to do it. Then 40 bucks a few weeks ago when I brought it in to see what the deal was but I fixed that problem and then had this problem still.

So 80 bucks and a new crank sensor and cam sensor I bought locally 100 bucks total 180 bucks it's fixed and running. Going to be driving it locally for a few days before I take it anywhere far or my wife drives it to pittsburgh for work that way I know it's not going to crap out on her causing her to break down and be on the side of the road.

Lorenzo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:49 pm 
Global Moderator

Just curious, what brand crankshaft position sensor was that?

98 Sport Coupe Alpine Green ATX stock
98 Sport Coupe Amethyst ATX to MTX swap (son's)
97 Expresso Coupe Black ATX stock (daughter's)
97 Sport Coupe Magenta ATX stock (wife's)
95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored to stock)
03 Dakota QC 4.7 4x4 ATX Patriot Blue stock

Can your key can be made from one of the free keys?
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=402268

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:10 pm 
Global Moderator

JUNK BRAND! LOL bought it on e-bay for 20 bucks serves me right was a brand new sensor too I have no clue what brand it was didn't come in a box just a small baggie I am sure CHINA sweat box crap!

Lorenzo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:37 pm 
Global Moderator

Sorry Lorenzo, not rubbing it in. Yes, Mopar is almost 4 times what you paid for that pos sensor. Just in case anyone else is thinking about replacing a crankshaft position sensor:
5269703 $106.00 list $77.88 net
Electrical - Powertrain control - Crankshaft position sensor
Crankshaft position sensor, all models, 2.0l, 2.4l 1998 - 2000
DiscountedMoparParts.com
MoparPartsAmerica.com
(Compare prices from both sites for the best deal)
(Prices listed are a guide if you go to a local dealer. If you use the online site, shipping and handling are added.)
Crankshaft position sensor should be one of the first things to be replaced when a Neon dies for no reason as it warms up.

98 Sport Coupe Alpine Green ATX stock
98 Sport Coupe Amethyst ATX to MTX swap (son's)
97 Expresso Coupe Black ATX stock (daughter's)
97 Sport Coupe Magenta ATX stock (wife's)
95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored to stock)
03 Dakota QC 4.7 4x4 ATX Patriot Blue stock

Can your key can be made from one of the free keys?
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=402268

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:16 am 
Global Moderator

alpinegreenneon wrote:
Sorry Lorenzo, not rubbing it in. Yes, Mopar is almost 4 times what you paid for that pos sensor. Just in case anyone else is thinking about replacing a crankshaft position sensor:
5269703 $106.00 list $77.88 net
Electrical - Powertrain control - Crankshaft position sensor
Crankshaft position sensor, all models, 2.0l, 2.4l 1998 - 2000
DiscountedMoparParts.com
MoparPartsAmerica.com
(Compare prices from both sites for the best deal)
(Prices listed are a guide if you go to a local dealer. If you use the online site, shipping and handling are added.)
Crankshaft position sensor should be one of the first things to be replaced when a Neon dies for no reason as it warms up.

And I blame one company for why I did what I did. and it's MOPAR DC or whatever you want to call them! That's because they shut down every damn dealership in my area. I normally got parts at 10 percent over cost at the dealership I took my car into but now since they lost their mopar sponsorship or whatever you want to call it they don't sell mopar parts and I figured what the hell 20 bucks shipped can't beat it should work fine etc etc. Boy was I wrong not only cost me a month without driving the car and my wife spending 200 bucks more on fuel because she wasn't driving it but another 100 getting the parts locally at just normal advance auto as well as 84 bucks to the dealership to tell me a sensor that I replaced with a brand new one because that was the FIRST thing I thought this problem was as well as buying a wire harness from someone on here a new computer from someone on here as well as who knows how many hours working in the garage stressing out etc etc over this car.

Yeah kinda leaf spring juice off I never used anything other then OEM stuff on my cars because most of the time I could get it cheaper then the part stores had it for because of my discounts. But now because they dont sell mopar parts anymore I am stuck with a hour drive or so to the dealership or by getting aftermarket parts.

Yeah I am not to thrilled over this but only good thing at least the damn thing is running I hope it doesn't break again.

Lorenzo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:09 am 
New

Lorenzo,

I'm from Panama City, Panama. My 95 SOHC is having the same problem + the intake was hitting the wire that plugs into the coil. I'm gonna fix that and a friend is borrowing me a MOPAR CPS. It's being installed today July 18th. I'ma try that to see how it goes 'cause dammn this problem sucks...

Peace,

Javier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:14 am 
Global Moderator

Lorenzo wrote:
Well confused dealership today but ended up figuring it out. They thought for sure it was cam sensor because of what he saw on his scanner how the signals dropped off when it was ready to stall. So they changed it I brought them down one to install and it didn't help. So tried it again and decided they were going to change the crank sensor. Cleaned the connector plug up as it had a bit of oil pulled the BRAND NEW crank sensor out and the connector part was FULL OF OIL. Put new sensor in and car runs perfectly FINE!

I am like what I put a bunch of sensors in it changed everything in the world never changed the new sensor after I installed it!

I am so !Muffler Belts! it's not even funny.

Good part they charged me 40 bucks to do it. Then 40 bucks a few weeks ago when I brought it in to see what the deal was but I fixed that problem and then had this problem still.

So 80 bucks and a new crank sensor and cam sensor I bought locally 100 bucks total 180 bucks it's fixed and running. Going to be driving it locally for a few days before I take it anywhere far or my wife drives it to pittsburgh for work that way I know it's not going to crap out on her causing her to break down and be on the side of the road.

Lorenzo

I'm glad to see that at least it's been figured out !! :good:

- Nick

-2000 Ply.LX with MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; Magnaflow muffler

-1971 Ply.Scamp SL6cyl. (TRADED for '83 Ddg.Rampage)
-1968 Chry.300 w/440 V8 (sold)
"MoPar or No Car"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:02 pm 
Global Moderator

NickKo wrote:
Lorenzo wrote:

I am so !Muffler Belts! it's not even funny.

Lorenzo

I'm glad to see that at least it's been figured out !! :good:

- Nick

Yeah me to drove it all day today and yesterday went about 150 miles on it today alone and never had one problem. So think it's good now. Hope it stays that way and whatever reason oil was getting into the connector stops and I don't have any issues again. But at least now the wife can take it to work and save a ton on gas only thing I have to do is swap out the mopar pcm and put a stock one in it. Only have regular in the car now but ran fine with it but still want to put the stocker back in.

Lorenzo