www.neons.org

Home of the Neon Enthusiast
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: attempting to fix lifter tick
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:59 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

so ive got the infamous lifter tick. would i be able to swap lifters from a dohc motor and put them in my sohc? if so you guys think this will fix the tick?

97 dohc expresso atx
Scrapped.
97 sohc coupe mtx
Sold
1999 R/T
Going all motor 2.0!
96 magenta sport coupe
Sold

Post subject: Re: attempting to fix lifter tick
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm 
Site Supporter

Dohc lash adjusters will not work in a sohc.

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:33 pm 
Global Moderator

You'll have to replace the whole rocker with a SOHC rocker. Once that lash adjuster pops off, the rocker's done for.

You dont want to ignore it because letting the problem linger on, you'll go metal to metal and that will decrease the valve lift. You'll foul up that cylinder for one thing, and WILL have to replace the valve in the future.

Hit up the local junkyard for a SOHC with low mileage (if possible) and snag all the intake rockers off of it. That way you have spares in the future (LoL!) trust me, you'll need em. :pardon:

Project: Sparky - The 2.4L summer swap Edition
Project: 162hp SOHC
Neons 2011 Bracket Race Champion.

Buddy wrote:
Sparkys going to leave it for the week of and then spend 3 all-nighters getting it together so the day after he can rest and then the next day he'll be ready... That's how he rolls.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:42 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

would it only be the intake rockers? and should i replace them all right away or how do i know which ones to replace?

97 dohc expresso atx
Scrapped.
97 sohc coupe mtx
Sold
1999 R/T
Going all motor 2.0!
96 magenta sport coupe
Sold

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:49 pm 
Global Moderator

From my experiences, its usually cylinder 4, the left-side intake rocker. Checking it isnt hard at all. Take the valve cover off, remover the Intake rocker assembly and you'll notice immediately which one it is by looking at them all. The one missing the orange or yellow piece with the solid flat metal face is your culprit.

Buddy wrote:
Sparkys going to leave it for the week of and then spend 3 all-nighters getting it together so the day after he can rest and then the next day he'll be ready... That's how he rolls.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:52 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

alright but itsnt cylinder 4 on the right side?

97 dohc expresso atx
Scrapped.
97 sohc coupe mtx
Sold
1999 R/T
Going all motor 2.0!
96 magenta sport coupe
Sold

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:55 pm 
Global Moderator

Yes, but you have TWO intake valves per cylinder (left-side valve of the two)

Buddy wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:57 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

o alright. thanks for all the info

97 dohc expresso atx
Scrapped.
97 sohc coupe mtx
Sold
1999 R/T
Going all motor 2.0!
96 magenta sport coupe
Sold

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:33 am 
Neon Enthusiast

Sparky98Neon wrote:
You'll have to replace the whole rocker with a SOHC rocker. Once that lash adjuster pops off, the rocker's done for...

Are you saying you can't take the lifters/lash adjusters apart on the SOHC rocker? -OR- you saying a lash adjuster can come apart and cause the lifter tic?

As well, can't the lifter tic just be gummed up lash adjusters? OR is the busted lifter the biggest common cause for the SOHC lifter tic?

I had lifter tic in a high mileage SOHC 3.0L V6 Mitsu. I took the rockers off, during a valve stem seal change, and while they were off, I pulled the lash adjusters in the ends of the rockers apart and cleaned them up. Just rubbed the parts down with a clean rag and some solvent, like brake cleaner. Gummed up with varnish, like most lifter do. BTW, one at time to make sure all the original parts went back together in their original location. It solved the lifter tic. The 3.0L Mitsu has the small lash adjuster in the tip of the rockers, like the SOHC, that's why I bring it up.

I've got a DOHC, lash adjuster and valve train are totally different BTW, nothing is remotely interchangeable, sorry if the total speculation is way off, you want to trust the word of the more experienced SOHC owners posting here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:00 am 
Neon Enthusiast

Sparky98Neon wrote:
you want to trust the word of the more experienced SOHC owners posting here.

i was never arguing the fact of putting doch lash adjusters (rockers) into a sohc i just asked and got my answer

97 dohc expresso atx
Scrapped.
97 sohc coupe mtx
Sold
1999 R/T
Going all motor 2.0!
96 magenta sport coupe
Sold

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:03 am 
Neon Enthusiast

You misunderstood me, as well, I could have been more clear. I was throwing out a lot of speculation over what you might be able to do, BUT I've never done it myself, nor do I own a SOHC myself.

When I said, "you want to trust the word of the more experienced SOHC owners posting here" I meant take their advice over mine.

Basically, I'm "guessing" you could take apart and clean the lash adjusters and reduce that tic, because I have done it on other engines, BUT I've never done it on a Neon SOHC. I could be very wrong.

Yea, I tacked it on the end of the sentence about how swapping valvetrain parts between SOHC/DOHC is impossible; sorry I probably made it sound totally different then I intended.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:44 am 
Neon Enthusiast

oh alright yea i miss interpreted that. thank you for clarification

97 dohc expresso atx
Scrapped.
97 sohc coupe mtx
Sold
1999 R/T
Going all motor 2.0!
96 magenta sport coupe
Sold

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:44 am 
Neon Enthusiast

I've tried countless times to disassemble a lash adjuster on these rockers... I have been unable to do it. There is no tool or good way to disassemble them, and if you try any harder than I have (I've spent hours trying), you will probably just ruin either the rocker body or the hardened lash adjuster.

I would just go to a junk yard and pull both rocker shafts with the rockers from a 2nd Gen Neon (the rockers are the same) which will probably have lower mileage than a 1st Gen. Then just swap the shafts and rockers from your car. If the "new" rockers tick, you can try pouring a quart of ATF in with the engine oil. ATF has more detergents and cleaning ability than engine oil.

3.0 Intake, Flowmaster Exhaust, MPx Underdrive Pulley, Suspension Techniques Sway Bars, Prothane Sway Bar bushings and endlinks, Depo Diamond Clear Headlights and Turn Signals, Prothane Lower Control Arm Bushings.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:47 am 
Neon Enthusiast

so the rockers from a sohc 2gn are identical? will they cost more? and direct swap or will i have to take the rockers off the shafts and put them on 1gn shaft?

97 dohc expresso atx
Scrapped.
97 sohc coupe mtx
Sold
1999 R/T
Going all motor 2.0!
96 magenta sport coupe
Sold

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:23 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Direct swap. No need to swap the shaft. At a junk yard they wont know the difference. They will cost the same getting them new or from a junk yard.

3.0 Intake, Flowmaster Exhaust, MPx Underdrive Pulley, Suspension Techniques Sway Bars, Prothane Sway Bar bushings and endlinks, Depo Diamond Clear Headlights and Turn Signals, Prothane Lower Control Arm Bushings.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:47 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

well then is there a difference in the magnum rocker assymblies? when i had my 01 rt we built the head and during the teardown we took the lash adjusters out of the rockers and soaked them in oil. so a standard sohc the lash adjusters wont come out of the rockers? :dunno:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:53 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

I was pulling on a junk one with vice grips and I couldn't get it to budge. I took the plastic cap off with the metal pivot, and pulled the hell out of the adjuster and could not get it to come out.

If you got em all out, please let the secret out cause I sure cant figure it out...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:09 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

when we pulled the ones from my mag motor thet just slid out. no big deal. also i know there is somewhere that says when you disassymble the top end for an extended period of time to take the lash adjusters out and soak them in oil to prime them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:30 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

abrjoh61 wrote:
They will cost the same getting them new or from a junk yard.

so your saying its probaly better to buy them new? less miles and longer life

97 dohc expresso atx
Scrapped.
97 sohc coupe mtx
Sold
1999 R/T
Going all motor 2.0!
96 magenta sport coupe
Sold

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:01 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Sorry. What I meant by that was that the first gen lifters will cost the same as second gen lifters if you get them from a junk yard. Getting them from the junk yard will be cheaper than getting them new. But brand new lifters will be the same price for a first gen or a second gen.

I got my rocker assemblies for 22.22 at a pull a part. New rockers costs close to $700 for all of the rockers. 54.something for a single intake rocker, 75.something for an exhaust lifter.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:20 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

o dam! well ill just go to a local jy. it kinda sucks not having a pull a part cuz their prices sound awesome. i have a feeling itll be 40 or 60 for new rockers

97 dohc expresso atx
Scrapped.
97 sohc coupe mtx
Sold
1999 R/T
Going all motor 2.0!
96 magenta sport coupe
Sold

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:33 pm 
Site Supporter

So, is it as easy to swap this stuff on a DOHC neon?

Any procedure anywhere? Jw, cause mines gettin bad, and I dont wanna ruin it...

~Nate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:04 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

my guess is it is just as easy.all you gotta do is take off the valve cover and take off the pieces holding the rocker shafts on ( remember where the holders go) and when replacing the rockers use the ones that were in the same spot.

97 dohc expresso atx
Scrapped.
97 sohc coupe mtx
Sold
1999 R/T
Going all motor 2.0!
96 magenta sport coupe
Sold

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:37 pm 
Global Moderator

Take your time on the dissasembly process. That way you dont mix parts up, though its not a complicated process. Just remember to properly torque the rocker shaft bolts.

Anyhow, heres the aftermath of a recent lash adjuster collapse I experienced on Intake #3, right side:

the rockers flipped upside down, the piece on the bottom left is the tappet which fell apart and was floating around in the head.

Its kind of hard to see (camera phone pic) but the right side valve has that "ring" appearance on top of the valve, versus the left side is flat and shiny in the pic:

The groove wasnt caused by the tappet falling off this time around, this is the second time that particular rocker has done that to me. I think MY fix for this is I'm going to have to switch to a thicker oil, I'm currently using 10w-30 at the mment.

Buddy wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:45 am 
Neon Enthusiast

My low milage 99 coupe with SOHC has the same problem. I even bought the entire set of rockers new and the tick is still there. Its not rods, wrist pins or piston slap. Its lifters ! But mine only tick after warm up at idle. Cold start is Rolls Royce quiet as well as highway speeds. I suspect a weak oil pump or the pressure bypass valve in the pump is bad. I just bought a performance oil pump with more pressure and volume ( 15 to 20 percent increase ) and am about to install it. I'll let you guys know if the tick goes away or not. If not, I'll suspect something in the head. Maybe worn cam or something. But if thats the case, I'll opt to locate the 01 Magnum head and install that as an upgrade.

BTW, .org member PurpleNeon pointed out that there is an oil restrictor plug in the head and even sent me a pic of it ! Ha! If my pump is getting weak, that little restrictor could prevent enough oil from keeping the lifters quiet and happy. We'll see.

1999 Dodge Neon Coupe, Pewter Silver, 2.0 SOHC, A670 ATX, Cold Air Intake, Megan Stainless ' Shorty' Header, FlowMaster High Flow Cat, Turbo Muffler, 10mm OBX performace wires, Accell coil pack, Optima Gel Battery, Performance silicone coolant hoses, Fairbanks street/strip shift kit, American Racing 'Aero' 14" 5 spoke rims.

Sponsor