It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Downstream O2 sensor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:03 am 
Neon Enthusiast

Good morning all,

So, ever since I've added my pacesetter header and vibrant cat I have had an intermittent CEL for the downstream sensor. This mainly comes on when I am really romping on it for 5- 10 minutes or when I am on the highway doing above 50 for an extended period. I see that Modern now has this little J-tube that is suppoed to correct this problem. I can't decide though whether to replace the sensor or get this tube?

On a side note - If I get the sensor, do I have to buy the $50 one they show as a direct replacement or can I get any O2 and splice the wires?

Thanks

03' SXT MT - Crushed 1/9/10
97' Expresso MT - New Toy

Post subject: Re: Downstream O2 sensor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:13 am 
Neon Enthusiast

Quote:
If I get the sensor, do I have to buy the $50 one they show as a direct replacement or can I get any O2 and splice the wires?

I don't think I would splice the wires, since o2 connector wires have hi-temp insulation and whatever you use to splice them will not be rated for the same temp. (butt connectors, shrink tubing, etc)

Quote:
I can't decide though whether to replace the sensor or get this tube?

A quick easy way to figure out if the non fouler tube will work is to go to the parts store and get a spark plug non fouler from the HELP section and test it out... they're like 5 bucks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:59 am 
Neon Enthusiast

O2's do not use copper wiring.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:44 pm 
Site Supporter

The downstream splice and fit, DOES work if you want to splice it. Been there, done that for over a year. The non-fouler mod also works fine. Been there and done that for three months.

I've even done the non-fouler with an SRT-4, which is far more sensitive than the First Gen with emissions monitoring.

Six of one, half dozen of the other. Stick with what makes you happy.

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:51 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

The only difference between the upstream and downstream sensor is insulation and wire length. Upstream is on the header so it sees more heat that is why it is fatter from what I understand. Splice if ya want.

Daily driver:96 SOHC. Magnum head,crane #14 & springs,fidanza cam gear,24lb.injectors,AEM wideband,AFC neo and 5v relay mod(needed for 96 only),mpx udp ,iceman,60mm tb,short tube header,cat delete,downstream o2 delete,side exit exaust,egr delete,AFX race ecu, with no CEL's

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:05 am 
Neon Enthusiast

http://www.o2simulator.com/ - these work on neons, i think they are rated for only off road use though. do you rally cross your neon?

99 Dodge neon highline 2dr coupe >>K&N CAI, High flow Cat + Muffler setup, Nology Hot Wires, Front upper strut brace. >>17" 5lug 7 spoke, 205/40/R17 >>Custom audio install (all speakers upgraded) +mp3 >>Rear sway bar From a ACR // Custom front engine mount >>Replaced both rear struts- twice.. thanks pot holes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:57 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Go to radio shack get a 1/4 watt 1 megaohm resistor. A 5 pack is 99 cents. Remove your downstream o2 pull back the sheething that covers the 4 wires. Cut the black wire and soulder in your resistor. Shrink tube (make sure you slide it over first ;). Let the black sheething slide back and cover up your handy work. Reinstall your o2 no codes works great and will pass visual and obd2 emissions diag. I have photos if you need more info. Goodluck

rear disc, lowered, 17s, dohc swap, crane 18s, spoolboy mod, lorenzo fuel rail, -6an lines, 620CC modded injectors, begi rrfpr, big fmic, turbo xs rfl, aem wideband, unorthodox udp, fidanza cam gears, 3 inch turbo back, sohc mpp computer, h
Je pistons, eagle rods, no check engine light, passes emissions :) oh yea AEM FIC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:56 am 
Neon Enthusiast

Just an FYI. Did the resistor trick and so far so good. I had codes 12 and 21 come back like 3 days after doing it but have not come back on since. I took a long 6+ hour trip on the highway with some period thrashing and still nothing. Thanks for the help!

03' SXT MT - Crushed 1/9/10
97' Expresso MT - New Toy