It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: have a question about ny state inspection
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:37 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

i cant seem to get the code for a misfire cleared on my car it doesnt say wich cylinder just misfire will my car be able to pass inspection with this code ?

Post subject: Re: have a question about ny state inspection
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:22 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Not if they do the OBD Diagnostics. If they only do a sniffer test, maybe. I know if your check engine light is on in PA we would've just laughed at you and said thanks for the 38 bucks.

2008 PT Cruiser
2.4 N/A Family Car

I just got released after 4 years of fun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:29 am 
Neon Enthusiast

nope. pretty much no cel allowed. i live in buffalo. im buying an inspected coupe to throw my turbo motor into

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:01 am 
Neon Enthusiast

You are out of luck. NYS Inspection pretty much fully computerized with data sent directly to Albany.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:24 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

that sucks now i have to figure out someway to get my light off its been having this misfire for a crazy long time and i cant figure out why so now the car sits.idk the day before i went to bring it to get inspected i put a big thing of iso heat in the tank took the code away all the way untill i got to the inspection station then the code came back on. leaf spring juice sucks i cleared the code not knowing that they could see that

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:41 pm 
Neon Genius

hifonics10 wrote:
i cant seem to get the code for a misfire cleared on my car it doesnt say wich cylinder just misfire will my car be able to pass inspection with this code ?

With a code reader you should be able to get a "P" code. It should say something like P0304, which would be cyl 4 misfire, for example. Autozone and other parts stores or repair facilities should be able to read these for you. The check engine light codes are not specific enough for us to use.

There are many possibilities for a misfire. Anything that causes poor combustion, and a lack of power from a cylinder will be read as misfire by the computer. This could include, but it not limited to poor spark, fuel mixture troubles, low compression, and electrical issues. Do not just throw parts at it without some testing.

See if you can get the code read, report back, and we will try to help.

niceguy wrote:
Jerk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:49 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

You may want to simply check the plugs and wires. It maybe something as simple as an improperly seated sparkplug, oil on plug, or loose wiring.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:33 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

this is what has been done to the car and we have an obII reader ill go get a code here in a sec the battery in the car is dead from sitting so i cant check the code to easy but ill do it in a sec

new coil pack
new wires
new plugs
plugs are gapped to what that engine calls for
new cat
no leaking pipes all the way to the end of the car

no muffler atm-code was happening before the muffler came off so thats not it

but im gona get all bundled up and see if i cant go get you guys the exact code

well went outside hooked up my dads truck waited for the code to come on then when i went to check it my reader doesnt work :sad:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:08 am 
Neon Enthusiast

turn key in run position.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:38 am 
Neon Enthusiast

i dont remember if i did that or not im gona feel stupid if i didnt its 2:37am right now ill do it in the morning

wow indeed i am stupid that was my problem

code:p1390

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:43 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

looked up p codes in engine performance and it said timing belt skipped a tooth. so i think tomaro im gona try and tighten that up and see if that takes care of the problem

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:36 am 
Neon Enthusiast

No clue about NY but in PA it depends on what county you're cars registered in. Lancaster county was a beotch had to have no cel and all the diagnostics complete. If you reset the ecu u'd have to drive a few hundred miles to run all the cycles and what not. Any cel would fail.
In luzerne county you're just supposed to have all the emissions stuff on the car cat,evap,egr and pass some gas cap test. And the shop i goto always passes me without any emissions stuff on my car lol. And in wyoming county there is not any emissions test at all just the safety inspection. Good luck in NY i bet its tougher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:51 am 
Neon Enthusiast

That code can come from a problem with the crank or cam sensor or their wiring. PCM just knows that something was wrong with the timing of those signals. You might search on those sensors. I think neither is expensive or hard to replace, but wiring can be the problem also.
Jerry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:52 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

couldnt i unplug each sensor then start the car after to see what happends and if it is one of the sensors the orignal code i had should go away and i should get something differnt?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:20 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

if the car doesn't have a crank signal it wont start, i'm not sure about cam but i'm guessing it would be the same, check the resistance between the two orange wires on the cam and crank sensors and see if its within 4 ohms(i'm pretty sure that was the spec but there should be continutity either way), try pulling your fuel pump fuse for 30 seconds to reset the pcm and see if your code comes back after you start the car again

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:58 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

i have a scanner so i can reset the pcm but the code comes back on how do i check the wire? i have a dimm but im not sure how to check them with the car running off? how do u check them with a regular dimm?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:56 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

you just set it to ohms, i'll try and find the shopkey document on how to test it, on the connectors you will have 3 wires, 1 should be orange on each connector, its kind of hard to reach both of them at the same time but i somehow managed to do it

the orange wire is your power supply to the crank and cam sensors and i think there are 2 others on there too i think vehicle speed and another one,

one wire is the ground on each sensor and another is the signal wire to the pcm

test the for continuity between the orange wire on both connectors using the ohmmeter, if thats not there theres a problem with that wire, you can also check for voltage with the key on engine off between the orange and the ground (cant remember what the colour was)

since you got the actual "P" codes you timing belt might have actually skipped a tooth if your sensors are working properly, your tensioner could be bad. Has it been running rough or anything?

The reason i said reset the pcm is because it measures the cam angle in reference to the crank angle while the car is running and if it changes from the initial learned value thats when it sets the code. if you reset the pcm and the code comes up again you might have a bad sensor that isnt reading the cam or crank angle properly.

hope this helps! i got the same code a while ago because one of my crank sensor wires shorted out and the car wouldnt start, i took the whole thing out and ran new wires with the diagram from shopkey, never had a problem since

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:57 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

the car runs fine and doesnt get the code instantly at idle but if u get on it while driving it comes up pretty fast over all it always comes back after i reset it so ill test what you said tomaro and see what i get

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:34 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

ohh so it only happens when your hard on the throttle? if thats the case you probably have a problem with your t-belt tensioner. if your car has alot of k on it and you've never replaced the timing belt it might be a good time to do so before it actually breaks and ruins your head

heres a good post to look into viewtopic.php?f=22&t=276308
and http://jball.neons.org//howto/timing_belt/howto.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:59 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

seems as thought i should just wait untill i have everything ready to rebuild the car then pull the engine and do everything all at once. planning to rebuild the engine and trans for the summer its not like i need the car its been sitting for 4 months now. guess ill just give it a break this winter yank everything out once i have everything i need then do that

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:07 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

http://www.flatlanderracing.com/rebuildkitschrys.html

what to you guys think of that site thinking about going with the master kit just using differnt pistons

does anyone else know of any kits like this or better for under 800 that site looks a little iffy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:57 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

well if your going to do a big rebuild i'd suggest doing it all at once, timing belt is half the work for a headgasket

best site for neons would definitely be www.modernperformance.com or www.howellautomotive.com they have the best parts you can find on there and pretty good prices i find

i bought a headgasket set off ebay but only time will tell if it lasts or not

i'd suggest doing a compression test before you rebuild the bottom end, especially if you just want a stock daily driver. if your rings are good it would be a lot easier to just do the headgasket and timing belt instead of ripping apart the block and would save you a lot of time

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:50 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

so i replaced the cam sensor and its still getting the same code im kinda skeptical about getting the crank sensor becouse if thats the problem the car should start right? a while back when i was trying to get the car to pass inspection i put a large amount of iso heat and i didnt get the code for quit a while could it be possible that im just getting this code becouse of moisture in my gas tank? im planning to take off the tank next weekend cause i gotta get straps be rocking only 1 tank strap for quit a while