It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Heater Core Replacement How-To
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:58 am 
Neon Enthusiast

Last week my dad and I replaced the heater core in my 98. However, prior to starting, I had a hard time finding any thorough documentation on performing this not-so-enjoyable job. So after taking the heater core out using a combination of a Haynes manual, pages from AllData, and this helpful post made by tgrudzin (http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=386128&hilit=heater+core), I thought I would take some pictures while putting it back in to try and make a How-To. Please feel free to make any corrections or suggestions on how to do this replacement more efficiently or safely so the job is as easy as possible for anyone else planning to do it. This was my first time replacing the heater core and I’m writing this mostly out of memory, so I’m sure there will be at least a few mistakes that will need revising. I strongly advise that you use as many different sources as possible, including, at the very least, a Haynes/Chiltons manual and tgrudzin's post.

Disclaimer: I am in no way responsible for any damage, whether physical or mental, that you might incur on your vehicle, yourself, or others while attempting to replace your heater core. :bye:

Socket Sizes Needed: M13, M10, M8, T27

Second Set of Hands Recommended

Overview:
A. Disconnect negative battery cable.
B. Remove plastic dash trim pieces
C. Disconnect wiring connectors
D. Disconnect AC/Heater control cables and vacuum lines
E. Remove dash bolts
F. Drop down dash
G. Drain coolant
H. Remove HVAC box
I. Remove heater core
J. Reverse to install

A) Disconnect battery ground cable.

Option (courtesy of bobbyrandall): To create more room for yourself, consider removing the front seats. Doing so will make many steps of this process easier, including removing the dash to body bolts around the steering column, dropping and reinstalling the dash, and removing and reinstalling the HVAC box. It will also prevent the possibility of damaging the seats. If I were to do this job again, I would take the time and effort to remove them. However, doing so isn't necessary, and doesn't allow you to sit in the seats while removing some of the plastic dash covers and dash bolts.

B) Remove plastic dash trim pieces

For a few helpful pictures of removing some of the dash pieces, as well as a couple very clear pictures of the dash-to-body bolts around the steering column, take a look at the beginning of w103rtm's Trans Swap How-To: http://w103rtm.freevar.com

1. Remove the top dash cover. There are just two clips from the center to the passenger side that can easily be popped out from that side. Then there are four around the gauge cluster. Pop these out by pushing up with both hands on the bezel where it overhangs the gauges. There’s also one clip on the far driver’s side.

2. Remove the passenger side dash piece that surrounds the airbag. It goes from the right side all the way to the steering wheel and is held in by six screws. Before pulling this out disconnect the fog lights and rear defroster switches (if applicable).

3. Remove the driver’s side dash piece by removing the three screws.

4. Remove the plastic steering column cover. It’s attached with three screws along the bottom and a clip on either side of the steering column at the top.

5. Remove the metal steering column cover by taking out the two screws at the top.

6. Remove the glovebox. It’s held in with three screws along the bottom and then can be pulled out.

7. Remove the center console. There are two screws under small plastic caps by the cup holders and four screws in the bottom of the console.

8. Remove the driver’s and passenger’s side kick panel covers. These are each held in by two clips.

9. Remove the center air duct piece. Snap each side clip out and pull.

C) Disconnect wiring connectors

1. Disconnect the large blue, tan, and black connectors behind the gauge cluster close to the windshield.

2. Disconnect the blue connector behind the passenger side airbag.

3. Disconnect the antenna connector that’s located under the dash on the passenger’s side.

One bundle of wires goes from the dash through the firewall to the windshield wiper motor and the blower motor resistor. To access these, the cowl needs to be removed, which means removing the windshield wipers.

Time Saving Option (Courtesy of Uptown Sport): Skip steps C-4 and C-5 (removing the wipers). After removing the screws in step C-6, you can squeeze your hands under the cowl and disconnect the two connectors. This will save you the time and hassle of removing the wiper arms, however, it might make it more difficult to release the connectors.

4. Remove the plastic covers on the wipers. A screwdriver might chew up these caps. I used a knife to carefully remove them.

5. Remove the wiper nuts (13mm). Make a mark between the stud and wiper arm to ensure proper alignment on reinstallation. Remove wipers (may require some “wiggling and jiggling”, to be technical).

6. Remove the 5 screws holding the cowl in place and pull it off to expose the connectors. Disconnect the connectors and the plastic grating, then pull the wires through the firewall.

D) Disconnect AC/Heater control cables and vacuum lines

1. Remove the black and red vacuum lines from AC/Heater controls. (Removing these hoses and the cables may be easier after removing the AC/Heater control bezel, but it’s possible leaving it intact).

2. Be careful here or you might break an AC/Heater control lever like I did. First, you need to remove the metal clips holding the cables in position. Be careful not to drop them. To remove the air location knob cable, turn the knob all the way clockwise to give yourself as much slack as possible in the cable. It attaches similar to the throttle cable. The cable needs to rotate counter clockwise until it is aligned with the slot and can be pulled upwards and be disconnected. Then again, maybe you shouldn’t be taking my advice, because clearly it didn’t work out too well for me. I pulled up when the cable wasn’t lined up, and I ended up breaking off the top half of the lever. If you do break it, make a fix for it and test it before putting everything back together (obviously).

3. Remove the metal clip holding the black box with the vacuum lines attached to it. Turn the temperature control knob all the way clockwise to give as much slack as possible in the cable. Pull cable counter clockwise while pulling down to remove. This one wasn’t easy; again, be careful.

E) Remove dash bolts

1. Remove the pinch bolt connecting the steering column to the steering shaft. First, turn the steering wheel counter clockwise until it locks. This position provides good placement of the nut to get a socket on it, and locking it prevents the steering wheel from freely spinning after the bolt is removed. If the wheel was to be turned an excessive amount of turns while freely spinning, the clock spring would break and you would lose power to the airbag, the horn, and cruise control. To be safe, you can also tie or tape the steering wheel in position to manually prevent it from spinning.

The (out of focus) picture shows the steering wheel straight, where removal of the nut would be difficult due to interference with the brake pedal arm.

Reinstallation note: The torque for this bolt/nut is only 250 inch pounds.

2. Remove the four bolts around the steering column connecting the dash to the body (13mm). Leave the four nuts, these just connect the column to the dash. In this (terribly out of focus) picture, you can see the two bolts on the passenger’s side of the steering column. The other two are in similar positions on the driver’s side of the steering column.

3. Remove the 4 nuts across the top of the dash (10mm).

4. Remove the 4 bolts attaching the center of the dash to floor (two on each side, 13mm).

5. Before removing more bolts, place something under the dash in the center t to keep it supported. I just used a couple of beach towels. (The ash tray wasn’t in when I did this; I assume it would be fine if was left in, but I’m not sure whether keeping it in might damage it due to the weight of the dash. You may want to take it out anyways to create a slot that will keep the dash steady when lowered down.) Here’s what the dash will look like after removing the bolts in steps E-6, E-7, and F-1.

6. Remove the driver’s side lower bolt near the hood release that was under the trim (13mm).

7. Remove the passenger’s side lower bolt (13mm).

F) Drop down dash

1. Remove the upper driver’s and passenger’s side upper dash bolts (13mm). There's two on the driver's side and just one on the passenger's side. Slowly lower the dash down onto the towels (this is easier with two people).

2. Cut the zip tie holding this wire bundle (which is behind the glovebox) in place so that you can pull the dash out further to provide as much room as possible for removing/installing the HVAC box (HVAC box has already been removed in these pictures).

3. If you want more room to remove the HVAC assembly, follow these wires as they go under the dash. The connector for it should be near where the radio antennae cable goes through the body. Disconnecting this will allow you to pull the dash out further and prop it up over the passenger's seat. (Thank you MichNeon).

G) Drain coolant from the radiator petcock.

H) Remove HVAC box

1. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core.

2. Remove the coolant overflow bottle (if using stock bottle).

3. Remove the air filter box (if running stock intake).

4. Remove the rubber condensation drain tube.

5. If you have AC and it’s still hooked up, discharge the system. Then remove the AC lines going into it (refrigerant line-sealing plate assembly). Then remove the expansion valve by removing the two T27 torx screws.

6. Remove the vacuum line going to the brake booster.

7. Remove the three nuts on the studs coming out of the firewall in the engine compartment.

8. Remove the nut and screw holding the HVAC box in on the inside.

9. At this point, the HVAC box is free, but will still be stuck in place. It helps here to have a friend or relative so that you can be pulling the box out on both ends. It’s awkward pulling the driver’s side end of the box because the dash is very much in your way. Cover your seats or take off your shoes, crawl in the car, reach over the dash, and without smashing your head into the rear view mirror, pull on the box. The foam on the top of the passenger’s-side-most vent may be melted to the foam above it. Use a knife to cut between the foam and remove the HVAC assembly.

Here you can see the stains from the heater core leaking.

I) Remove heater core

1. Separate the two halves of the HVAC box held together by four 8mm screws (and don’t mind my bicycle helmet padding plus glue gun foam replacement job).

2. Separate the halves of the heater core box by removing the screws and retaining clips (careful, clips will fly 5 feet into the air [if their progress isn’t impeded by your eyeball] if not removed mindfully; and don’t forget about this sneaky one…)

3. Just one last step. (At this point, feel free to yell at your heater core, “We know you’re in there,” followed by a “You can run but you can’t hide.” You’ve earned it). If your foam is deteriorated just pull it off and replace it. If it’s still good, slit it along the seams and pull the box apart.

4. Remove the heater core and replace with your new one.

5. If you have AC and are uninstalling it, or have already removed all of the underhood AC components, replace the AC section with a non-AC section if you want to save about eight pounds.

J) Reverse to install

1. Reverse steps A-I. Have fun and enjoy your heat. :good:

Last edited by RT_Rob on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Heater Core Replacement How-To (56K: Warning)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:00 am 
Site Supporter

I vote for a sticky.

Very nice job.

The For-Sale Thread. CHEAP PARTS!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:54 pm 
Global Moderator

X2 on the vote for sticky. Good writeup, Rob! :good:
One thing to note, is that you can pull the right side of the dash back and prop it up over the passenger seat. That will give you more room to pull the hvac box.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:26 am 
Neon Enthusiast

Nice job, thanks for taking the time to make the thread.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:00 am 
Neon Enthusiast

i will be referencing this post for my replacment, stupid clogged heater core, oh well!! sticky please

95 nyg sport coupe, 2.4 swapped...amm no 90, p@p upper intake, accel 24# injectors, tti long tube header, trubenz 2.5 mandrel bent piping, bbk vari tune muffler, p@p head, crower stage 4's crower springs,fidanza cam gears, centerforce dual friction clutch, aem wideband, safc 2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:39 am 
Global Moderator

I did my heater core last summer and this is exactly how I did it. Great howto!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:34 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback, it took a little while to write up so the compliments are much appreciated. I'm glad you'll be able to use it neonhybrid.

MichNeon wrote:
One thing to note, is that you can pull the right side of the dash back and prop it up over the passenger seat. That will give you more room to pull the hvac box.

Thanks for the tip, I'll add this in. To do that, I assume you have to disconnect the wires going to the door? We were planning to disconnect them but after not knowing exactly where the connector was, not really feeling like dealing with another connector, and noticing that the gap we had seemed to be big enough, we decided just to go for it. But some more room definitely would have been beneficial.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:51 pm 
Global Moderator

There should be a big connector in the wiring, follow the wiring, you should be able to find it. There are several main wiring disconnects. The connector may be right next to the door. (near where your radio antennae cable goes thru the body.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:17 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Wow, sounds pretty easy...well, I guess I know for the next time. I'll add it in and try to get a picture of the connector. Thanks for the information MichNeon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:18 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Edited this in:

RT_Rob wrote:

F) Drop down dash

3. If you want more room to remove the HVAC assembly, follow these wires as they go under the dash. The connector for it should be near where the radio antennae cable goes through the body. Disconnecting this will allow you to pull the dash out further and prop it up over the passenger's seat. (Thank you MichNeon).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:15 am 
Global Moderator

You're Welcome! :grin:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:46 pm 
Site Supporter

Thanks for mentioning that t27 Torx for the AC block removal. I had to travel to the store for that. Your in Santa Barbara...didn't the heater just die because of lack of use?

Last edited by tgrudzin on Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:16 pm 
Neon Mechanic

While you're in there, you can replace the AC section with a non-AC section, save lotso weight.
I'm sure you can find my e-bay 4 sale thread somewhere if you're interested.

And I've squeezed my hands under the cowl cover to disconnect WW and resistor block wiring before-

Saves some time.

My self worth is not the size of my thighs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:50 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

tgrudzin wrote:
Your in Santa Barbara...didn't the heater just die because of lack of use?

Oh no, sometimes it gets REALLY cold here, you know, like 40 degrees. I bet it never even gets close to such an absolutely freezing temperature like that in Chicago... :grin:

UptownSport wrote:
While you're in there, you can replace the AC section with a non-AC section, save lotso weight.
I'm sure you can find my e-bay 4 sale thread somewhere if you're interested.

I considered doing that, but due to the chance that I might want AC again, I decided to leave it in. I'll add something like this into the How-To though: I) ... 5. If you have AC and are uninstalling it, or have already removed all of the underhood AC components, replace the AC section with a non-AC section for additional weight savings and a complete AC delete.

If you have an idea of how much weight it saves I'll add that in too.

UptownSport wrote:
And I've squeezed my hands under the cowl cover to disconnect WW and resistor block wiring before-

Saves some time.

Interesting, so all you have to do is remove the five cowl screws? How does this sound:

RT_Rob wrote:

One bundle of wires goes from the dash through the firewall to the windshield wiper motor and the blower motor resistor. To access these, the cowl needs to be removed, which means removing the windshield wipers.

Time Saving Option (Courtesy of Uptown Sport): Skip steps C-4 and C-5 (removing the wipers). After removing the screws in step C-6, you can squeeze your hands under the cowl and disconnect the two connectors. This will save you the time and hassle of removing the wiper arms, however, it might make it more difficult to release the connectors.

4. Remove the plastic covers on the wipers. A screwdriver might chew up these caps. I used a knife to carefully remove them.

5. Remove the wiper nuts (13mm). Make a mark between the stud and wiper arm to ensure proper alignment on reinstallation. Remove wipers (may require some “wiggling and jiggling”, to be technical).

6. Remove the 5 screws holding the cowl in place and pull it off to expose the connectors. Disconnect the connectors and the plastic grating, then pull the wires through the firewall.

Thanks for the tips, Uptown.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:49 pm 
Neon Mechanic

And thanks for such a great How-To- Makes a daunting task seem simple.

IIRC, 8lbs is savings. You could prolly remove condensor and patch holes, but non-AC blower is smaller and lighter.
It's good for MegaSquirt as you can mount the controller where airbag is and route wiring thru condensor hole.

40° for a low? Mini skirts year around???? You suck.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:22 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

How-To edited:

RT_Rob wrote:

I) Remove heater core

5. If you have AC and are uninstalling it, or have already removed all of the underhood AC components, replace the AC section with a non-AC section if you want to save about eight pounds.

J) Reverse to install

1. Reverse steps A-I. Have fun and enjoy your heat. :good:

UptownSport wrote:
40° for a low? Mini skirts year around???? You suck.

No, I still just wear my mini skirt in the summer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:40 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Thanks for the write-up, RT_Rob !

1997 Plymouth neon expresso
1988 Dodge Power Ram
1984 Dodge RamCharger
1996 Jeep Cherokee
1999 Jeep Cherokee

And the people bowed and prayed to the neon god they made.
-Simon and Garfunkel, "The Sound of Silence"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:49 pm 
Neon Mechanic

Funny guy, too!

Here's couple photo's you might find helpful, maybe not.
First explains how you can have an unclogged, non-leaking core and not have heat:
(Went directly from 'in' to 'out' because septum gasket has failed)

Second shows the flow arrow on core, when there's no specific in or out in FSM:

Last edited by UptownSport on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:46 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

sandstone wrote:
Thanks for the write-up, RT_Rob !

You're welcome!

Interesting pictures Uptown, thanks for putting those up. I'm sure that first one will be of use to someone diagnosing a lack of heat problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:33 pm 
Neon Genius

Looks like it was heating about what -3 tubes or so?

It sure looks pretty bad inside!

niceguy wrote:
Jerk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:34 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Deff will be using this in the next month or so. Buddy of mine has a leaking core as well.

Silver 98 ATX DOHC = other daily

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:29 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Mine is still good, (hopefully it never goes out!!!!) but if it ever does I'll cut it out through the engine compartment, looks like the absolute worst job you could do on a car and I'd rather pull the motor out BY HAND than do this silly heater core job.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:47 pm 
Neon Mechanic

Cutting out firewall would be next to impossible-
You'd need to remove an immense section up into the plenum and powertrain is then in way.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:22 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Hi, everyone. I'm new to the .org but have been a long time lurker. I wanted to say thank you to RT_Rob for this great walk-through. I just completed this on the 98 I am rebuilding. I have another wrecked 96 that I'm using for parts. I took out the core in the 96 using only the Haynes manual and there are many things that can be skipped over. I replaced the broken (snapped the inlet tube getting the old heater hoses off) heater core in the 98 using mostly this write up. It turned out great. Was simpler than removing all the stuff the Haynes manual tells you to take out.

I wanted to say that not EVERY neon actually has a plug that you can get to on the passenger side near the blower motor. Mine (98 Plymouth Expresso, Belvedere Built) actually had a plug that went through the metal behind the fender and was clipped there, so you had to remove the entire dash just to get to it anyway. I couldn't figure out how to unplug it, so I used RT_Rob's method and just pulled off the wire mounts to get more space. Also, I did the A/C evap delete as well and covered the hole in my HVAC box with a scrap of Dynamat.. Seems to work fine..

Thanks again for taking the time to type this all up, RT_Rob!!
:good:
-Gary

#1 - '95 Ply Highline Sedan SOHC MTX- Traded in '08
#2 - '96 Dodge Sport Sedan SOHC ATX- Totaled in '11 (used for parts)
#3 - '97 Ply "Expresso" Sedan SOHC MTX- Headed to crusher after stripped for coupe project
#4 - '98 Dodge Sport Coupe DOHC MTX- Saved from crusher, gathering parts to put her back together

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:28 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Awesome, glad to hear it helped you out.
I agree, the Haynes manual definitely tells you to take out more than you actually need to.

Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:46 am 
New

Very well written and posted, congratulations.....hope it never comes to this for me.....one thing I thought is that I would remove the front seats, a quick job that will give you lots more space and avoid getting them damaged.......

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:43 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

bobbyrandall wrote:
Very well written and posted, congratulations.....hope it never comes to this for me.....one thing I thought is that I would remove the front seats, a quick job that will give you lots more space and avoid getting them damaged.......

Thank you...Yeah, removing them would definitely help, in my opinion. Maybe someone else can chime in on that, especially if you've done the job with and without the seats in. I edited this into the How-To:

RT_Rob wrote:
A) Disconnect battery ground cable.

Option (courtesy of bobbyrandall): To create more room for yourself, consider removing the front seats. Doing so will make many steps of this process easier, including removing the dash to body bolts around the steering column, dropping and reinstalling the dash, and removing and reinstalling the HVAC box. It will also prevent the possibility of damaging the seats. If I were to do this job again, I would take the time and effort to remove them. However, doing so isn't necessary, and doesn't allow you to sit in the seats while removing some of the plastic dash covers and dash bolts.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:09 pm 
Global Moderator

Bobby has a good point, when you have the time to do so. For many dealer techs, they don't have the time to be pulling the front seats, and are not getting paid to r&r the seats as part of the procedure. Which is why i made the point about pulling the dash back. That can be a timesaver, if one does not want to bother with pulling the front seats.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:04 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing MichNeon. Thanks again for your knowledgeable input.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:41 am 
New

Thank you. Good step by step explanation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:41 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Nice How-to Rob! this is exactly how I got to and replaced my evaporator core as well. It is a time consuming job especially when you document it, that's for sure. It will be much appreciated for a long time to come for those who perform this replacement. :good:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:36 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

superlearner wrote:
Thank you. Good step by step explanation.

You're welcome and thank you.

w103rtm wrote:
Nice How-to Rob! this is exactly how I got to and replaced my evaporator core as well. It is a time consuming job especially when you document it, that's for sure. It will be much appreciated for a long time to come for those who perform this replacement. :good:

Thanks. I came across your awesome Trans-Swap How-To when I was searching on how to take the dash apart, and some of those pictures you had were pretty helpful. If you don't mind I think I'll edit-in your link so people can look at pictures of where some of the screws are for the dash pieces.

And yes, as you would know, it definitely is time consuming. Took me a lot longer that I thought, but in the end it's worth it. Like you say, it's nice to know that you'll be helping out fellow Neon enthusiasts for the life of the site. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:07 am 
Neon Enthusiast

RT_Rob wrote:

Thanks. I came across your awesome Trans-Swap How-To when I was searching on how to take the dash apart, and some of those pictures you had were pretty helpful. If you don't mind I think I'll edit-in your link so people can look at pictures of where some of the screws are for the dash pieces.

And yes, as you would know, it definitely is time consuming. Took me a lot longer that I thought, but in the end it's worth it. Like you say, it's nice to know that you'll be helping out fellow Neon enthusiasts for the life of the site. :wink:

No problem, feel free to use my link! Glad a few of the tranny swap steps could help :grin:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:30 am 
Neon Enthusiast

Edited:

RT_Rob wrote:

For a few helpful pictures of removing some of the dash pieces, as well as a couple very clear pictures of the dash-to-body bolts around the steering column, take a look at the beginning of w103rtm's Trans Swap How-To: http://w103rtm.freevar.com

1. Remove the top dash cover. There are just two clips from the center to the passenger side that can easily be popped out from that side. Then there are four around the gauge cluster. Pop these out by pushing up with both hands on the bezel where it overhangs the gauges. There’s also one clip on the far driver’s side.