www.neons.org

Home of the Neon Enthusiast
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1997 plymouth neon 2.0l 16v DOHC timeing belt change?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:09 am 
Neon Enthusiast

hey. i have a 1997 plymouth neon 4d. with a 2.0l 16v DOHC engine in it. and i need to change the timing belt and water pump. i am having trouble figuring out how to do it step by step. i need help! can someone please give me the assisstance i need and reply with step by step directions. i love this car and i would hate to mess up and have to junk the engine. thanks< Shawn

Post subject: Re: 1997 plymouth neon 2.0l 16v DOHC timeing belt change?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:20 am 
Neon Enthusiast

Link to a SOHC Timing belt change, with lots of pictures:
http://jball.neons.org/howto/timing_belt/howto.html

Should be similar to DOHC. If your timing is still good, mark everything with white-out or paint pen, transfer marks to new belt and then line them up.

A few tips:
- Don't forget to modify the inner timing cover if you're using a new mechanical style tensioner.
- Pay attention to the puller needed to remove the Harmonic Balancer. You must use one with a rod long enough to bottom out on the crank bolt hole. Always a 3-jaw and never a 2-jaw.
- Replace the water pump with a NEW one, not reman. Less problems have been reported with them, and you're already in there to change the belt.
- Change the cam seals and make sure you torque the cam pulley bolts correctly afterwards. Too loose and the pulley can slip, shearing the pin and throwing timing off.
- Inspect your engine side mounts and front mount. Again, you'll be taking them out doing the job - a good time to replace them if necessary.
- Replace the accessory belts, unless they are recent.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:18 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

thank you for your info. this will save me a boat load of research and my engine. another question for you though. will the timing belt be the cause of the engine running rich? and the engine to vibrate randomly for about 2 secounds while driving? and also will it be the cause of the load squealing noise when turning if the power steering is full with new fluid? i know for sure the timing is off bad. and the belt is really bad also!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:29 pm 
Site Supporter

the squeel when you turn is a thing chrysler power steering pumps have done since... well since forever. (about the 80s really) not a big deal, it dies down after a while, may still have air trapped in the line that would make it sound worse, but itll get better. just keep checking it to make sure as the air comes out, your fluid level doesnt get low.

98 r/t sedan with a 2005 pt 2.4 on the way. hopefully will be done by quatro de mayo (im white...)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:48 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Ok thank you for the info. Glad to hear its not something more major .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:58 pm 
Site Supporter

mines done it from day one. i think my pops threw some slick 50 in there... he put something in there, and it got a little quieter. but id be careful doing that. hes old school, and doesnt ask before he screws with my car...

98 r/t sedan with a 2005 pt 2.4 on the way. hopefully will be done by quatro de mayo (im white...)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:34 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Ha lmao that's funny ya I don't let anyone work on my cars besides me I don't trust most of the shops around were I live . But anyways this is my first neon and first front wheel drive and first 4cylnder so I am iffy on how to do everthing buts thanks for the info

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:49 pm 
Site Supporter

just remember its an interferance engine, if you go rotating the crank without the timing belt attached, you risk hitting valves, and depending on how quick your doing it you may bend a valve or dent a piston. ive got a sohc, i havent touched a dohc yet. but i pop off the valve cover, loosen the bolts on the rocker shafts so the valves arent being touched. remove the spark plugs, then line up my marks. mark the old belt, mark the new belt. slip it on, adjust the tensioner, rotate the crank a couple times, make sure theyre still lined up. then put it all back together. its excessive, but id rather pay a few bucks for a new valve cover gasket and maybe a few bucks for plugs(which prolly should be changed while ur at it anyways) than for new valves, head gasket, possible machine work, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:28 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

If you should happen to get the timing out, DO NOT use the stock marks on the cam sprockets. Remove the valvecover and use 1/4" extensions (or wooden dowels that fit snug) to get holes in cams straight up. The holes are between cyls. 1 and 2 (closest to passenger side). They are in time when you can lay a flat edge across the extensions or dowels and it lays flat. If you use stock marks, your timing will probably be off when you go to start it.

98 R/T Black/silver....gone to scrapper
99 RT Red/silver (SRT'd 2.0) 54K miles since turbo and still going strong.....
04 Bought it with 80K actual miles
05 SRT4 Flame red (sold)
98 IB Sport Sedan (new toy)

07 Honda Foreman 500 2" lift kit, 27" ITP Swamplites (my mud machine)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:39 pm 
Site Supporter

I've been wondering with this timing method. How would u do this with stock gears? Wouldn't it just let them rotate back to where the timing belt would have them located? Versus where the dowels have them?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:07 am 
Neon Enthusiast

I've done 2 belts using the cam gear timing marks. Had them lined up perfectly with each other and both times car ran like crap and got code for being 1 tooth off (exhaust was off both times). When I started using the dowel/extension method, the marks weren't exactly lined up but timing was spot on, cars ran perfectly. There's a couple of really good "how-to's" on using the holes for timing. Just posting what I've experienced, I'm no expert on the subject. But that's a heckuva lotta work to have to go back and do over. Several people on here that I trust use the hole method.

05 SRT4 Flame red (sold)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:26 am 
Neon Enthusiast

ok thank you for the info on that but im new to cars like my neon. i want it right the first time can you possably tell me how to do that ca dowle thing step by step? and if you can thow in some pics of what your talking about so i know its right i really dont wanna waist money or time that is not need you know.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:41 am 
Neon Enthusiast

never mind i noticed in a earlyer message you posted how to do it if you have anymore information please let me know. i also found out the not just my timing belt is shot but also the other belts near the timing belt are slit in half. will this do any damage to the engine being like this? i am going to replace them just dont know it it could have caused damage neons are really confusiong and so small i dont know were to being with this. seems like its problem after problem and i just bought the car 3 days ago. dont get me rong i love the car i see potentiol i just dont wanna blow through all my money if everything imma do wont help anything.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:16 am 
Site Supporter

every neon has its bastard child stage. once you get past that, the right way, theyre great cars. the other messed up belts wont mess up the engin, youll just at some point on a hot day, enjoying the ability for a normal sized person to turn the car, with air conditioning and a stereo... then have to become the hulk in a now mute car thats just turned into an oven. your there already, the alternator belt is a little bit of a pain, just change the belts while your there. and the timing method is documented on these forums pretty extensively, with pictures, and other random suggestions that may or may not make life easier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:30 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Do a search using phrases like "dohc timing belt change" or something similiar to that. There are several great threads with plenty of pics.

05 SRT4 Flame red (sold)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:01 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

I missed that timing was off. Thread here:

HOW-TO: Time Engine DOHC 2.0/2.4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:55 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Thanks every one for all you helo that last message with the pics helped. A lot. Now I know how to do it once I complete the timing belt and oil leak ill but another post with pics and show you my results all your info has been great thank you

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:06 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

I don't think timing was off, I was just throwing the dowel method out there in case it did get off during belt change (easy to do). The hardest part of it (for me anyways) was getting mount off front of motor. You'll have to jack motor up pretty high to get all the bolts out. They are fairly long. Also as advised, use the proper puller on the pulley or you'll end up screwing it up. I just run to autozone and rent their Chrysler damper puller. It has everything you need and works like a charm. Don't skimp on parts! Don't buy the cheapest timing belt they have. Most people prefer Gates (including me). Someone mentioned getting a good pump...great advice. It's gonna hurt the wallet a little to buy good parts, but it's better than having the pump lock up, ruin your belt, and pulling the head to see all those cute little bent valves staring back at you. Now is NOT the time to be cheap.

05 SRT4 Flame red (sold)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:23 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Ok. Thanks and ya I know its not time to be cheap lol I don't wanna see any bent valves . But ya my timing is off the guy at auto zone tested it and it came up saying its off 1 or more tooths . Is there anyrhing else I should watch out for wile doing this? Or anything you recommend changing since I'm there anyways?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:31 pm 
Site Supporter

this is actually why i loosen the rockers, and remove the plugs, so theres nothing to turn the crank, or the cams. no compression cuz the plugs are out, and no spring tension cuz the rockers are basically off. make sure when you get the water pump, its NEW, not rebuilt/remanufactured. otherwise you risk the issues that the last person had and that the shop overlooked when they *fixed* it :nea:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:28 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Thanks ya I can get a new water pump for 38 dollors at auto zone imma that

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:57 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

38 seems a little high for a pump. Check RockAuto.com for good Gates components at great prices.

If you want to be thorough and do everything, this would be my list:

- Timing Belt
- Idler pulley
- NEW Tensioner w/pulley
- Water pump
- Cam seals
- Alternator & PS/AC belts
- Valve cover gasket set (because you'll be removing to set timing)

Also: Make sure you modify the rear cover if you use a new mechanical-style tensioner. If using a new mechanical-style tensioner, you set the tension on the belt by lining up the spring tang with a window in the tensioner and then tightening the bolt (instructions are not included or in Haynes). Have an impact wrench handy to re-install the harmonic balancer. It CAN be done by hand, and there will be people claiming they have, but it's a doddle with any impact wrench - the one I bought was under $40 at Autozone and electric.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:15 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

You bought the impact wretch at auto zone for 40$? Or the tensioner, ? I was looking for a tensioner and it was saying its like a 100 bucks is this accurate or is it cheaper then that?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:16 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

The older hydraulic-style tensioners are around 100, but the newer mechanical ones should be much lower.

Yes, the impact was around 40 I believe. I'd look up a price now but their site is down.

EDIT: Rockauto shows a DOHC timing kit, P/N Gates TCKWP246A for 134.79. That includes Idler Pulley, Tensioner, Water Pump and Belt.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:20 pm 
Site Supporter

darn you sopa!!

Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:25 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Ok. And cool that save me some money ill have to check that out and see how much shipping is I live in florida so idk. Shouldn't be to much. But one thing how much modifying do I have to do if I use the newer style tensiner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:29 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Not much. You just need to cut out some round holes in the rear cover so that the tensioner sits flush against the block instead of against the plastic cover (which makes the belt deflect). You can use some of those hole cutting drill bits, a dremel, a hacksaw, a hungry hamster... whatever you have you can probably do it. Doesn't have to be pretty just have to hold together and not have any pieces that could be knocked off or damage the belt. You'll see where to cut when you have the cover off.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:52 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Ok cool thanks a lot all this info is reallygoing to help me out a lot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:57 pm 
Global Moderator

There is an archived posts forum with a wealth of information. I'm surprised no one posted this link:
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=276308

98 Sport Coupe Alpine Green ATX stock
98 Sport Coupe Amethyst ATX to MTX swap (son's)
97 Expresso Coupe Black ATX stock (daughter's)
97 Sport Coupe Magenta ATX stock (wife's)
95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored to stock)
03 Dakota QC 4.7 4x4 ATX Patriot Blue stock

Can your key can be made from one of the free keys?
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=402268

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:04 pm 
Site Supporter

ugh, that post with all the arguing over the *knockoff* litens tensioners, and removing/not removing the bushing... the post came down to, you use the litens, but one of the bolt holes has a bushing in it. youll have to read that post and decide for yourself what your gonna do about that

some people remove it and dont seem to have any issues (that they notice) others just shave off the back side so it sits flat(helps to keep the bolt centered and the tensioner from shifting)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:10 pm 
Global Moderator

When that post was written there were only Litens tensioners from Mopar and they all had the bushing because they were meant for 2nd gens. The last post in that thread describes the current Gates version that does not have the bushing.
What is relevant about that post is the part about modifying the inner timing cover.

Unless I am doing something major like the headgasket at the same time as the timing belt and water pump, I find it isn't necessary to remove the valve cover. The marks on the gears have never given me any problem. The main reason for using the holes in the cams came about because of 2.4 swaps where the marks on the gears will confuse you. If it's a stock 2.0 routine timing belt change, you should be able to get it right with the marks. The problem people have using the marks is that they just eyeball it instead of using a straight edge through the centerline of the cam gear bolts. Just eyeballing it can get the marks to appear to line up either above or below the centerline. If you want to replace the valve cover gasket, spark plug seals, and bolts grommets then you can verify the timing with the holes in the cams.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:42 am 
Neon Enthusiast

ok now im confused again should i take the valve cover over off or leave it on? what is the best way to do this? i am really starting to not like front wheel drive cars lmao. i love my neon but not the front wheel drive part lol. but again should i leave the valve cover on or off? its a 2.0 dohc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:51 am 
Neon Enthusiast

im pretty sure i have to change the valve cover gasket anyways because i have a oil leak. were the front of the the engine is covered with oil. and the bottom of the oil pan is covered as well. along with the filter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:59 am 
Global Moderator

Since you have oil leaks, go ahead and replace the valve cover gasket, spark plug seals and bolt grommets. You will probably find more leaks from the cam seals and maybe even the front main seal. Fix them as you find them. You really should have a FSM (factory service manual). Find one for your year on eBay or Amazon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:00 am 
Neon Enthusiast

It won't hurt to remove the valve cover and use pins to verify that the timing marks on the gears give you accurate timing. Especially if you are sure you have a leaky gasket.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:20 am 
Neon Enthusiast

ok thanks. for the help

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:35 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

ok i have another issue i am looking for the tensioner for the 1997 plymouth 2.0l 16v dohc and the one i found is this http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/ ... 7/image/4/ is this right or am i looking at the wrong thing?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:50 pm 
Global Moderator

Ah, the hydraulic tensioner. Mine still has it's original. It's really your preference whether you want to use that or to put in a mechanical tensioner. I would recommend that you do a search on tensioners, there are a lot of threads that discuss the differences, and a lot of arguments for each type. i guarantee that you're gonna hear at least several opinions about them.
Btw, they both work good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:00 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Ok ill do some research on that. But the only thing is I don't know where to find the mechanical style one. I heard its much cheaper the one I just posted is like 120 bucks I believe I just don't see the need to sopend so much on such a small part but then again it dose alot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:12 pm 
Global Moderator

Browno wrote:
The older hydraulic-style tensioners are around 100, but the newer mechanical ones should be much lower.

Yes, the impact was around 40 I believe. I'd look up a price now but their site is down.

EDIT: Rockauto shows a DOHC timing kit, P/N Gates TCKWP246A for 134.79. That includes Idler Pulley, Tensioner, Water Pump and Belt.