It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 97 sohc starts then inmediately dies
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:58 am 
New

My auto 97 sohc neon starts fine but immediately shuts off. If I keep my foot on the gas it will keep running forever until I let off. No check engine light on. Its possible the bulb burned out though. What do u guys think as to why it turns off? No overheating problems at all. A couple days ago it was doing this. I reconnected a few wires to an unknown relay attached to the side of the fuse box under the hood. After I did that it ran fine till this morning. Does anyone know what relay this is?

Post subject: Re: 97 sohc starts then inmediately dies
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:05 am 
Site Supporter

Pics of said "relay"?

Get your hands on a good code tool.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:11 am 
New

I don't have a pic right now. It looks like a custom job. Its screwed into the plastic fuse box. All I know is it has maybe 4 wires hooked to it and a resistor connected to two of thosr wires.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:29 am 
Site Supporter

I wonder if it is one of those "Performance Chips" sold by con artists on eBay?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:33 am 
Site Supporter

apparently they turn your car into a high performance paperweight

98 r/t sedan with a 2006 pt 2.4(stock pcm btw). she ran... then the tranny gave up on me

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:51 am 
New

Maybe. Have no idea what its for. If its not that relay, any other ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:58 am 
Site Supporter

follow those wires to wherever they lead, and see if theyre spliced in, if they are, take it out and fix the wires. thats where you should start. (also, if it worked with the wires hooked up, make sure they stayed connected and that none of them broke, especially if they were spliced on. never know what quality work the guy that installed it actually does)

98 r/t sedan with a 2006 pt 2.4(stock pcm btw). she ran... then the tranny gave up on me

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:04 am 
Site Supporter

awwmd88 wrote:
Maybe. Have no idea what its for. If its not that relay, any other ideas?
Listen to SNS or chipdogg.

Electrical or fuel problem?

Ahhh - never let off the gas? BTW - how far down do you have to hold the gas pedal to keep it running? Just curious. Throttle position sensor, IAC, MAP sensor - too many to hazard a guess at without some more details.

Get some CODES. If there are any.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:14 am 
New

I can barely touch the gas and it will run. Also once I follow the wires how would I know where to reconnect them to ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:17 am 
Site Supporter

when you first turn the key to on, no need to start, do you see a check engine light turn on? its supposed to, its a self test for the light, and to tell you the computers got juice(with the fuel pump fuse out or blown, it wont turn on) thats step ONE. make sure ur light works, so you know if your pcm is getting power. after that, check those wires like i said. if all of that checks out, buy rent borrow or steal an obd2 scanner and see if it pulls anything(engine off key on) then check your idle air control, and vacuum lines(read ohios sig, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS do visual inspection first, you dont want to dink with things that are fine.

but if you cant find a true purpose for that *relay* ur talking about, i would remove it if possible. these cars run fine on their own, no need for the ebay scam chip. if you want better mileage, let off the gas...once you get it running.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:20 am 
Site Supporter

follow the wires, most likely the person simply cut them, and spliced the ends to this new relay(putting it in series, vs parallel) you simply cut the wires(from the relays extra wiring so you have enough to work with) and solder them back together(use adhesive line shrink tube) i personally wont solder alone, ill use a crimp splice, cut the sleeve off, throw in one wire, slide the shrink tube over the other, slide the other into the splice, crimp it, then run solder through it(overkill, but i hate doing the job twice...)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:21 am 
Site Supporter

just follow the wires, youll see the OEM wiring where its spliced, and you can just go with the colors. red to red, blue to blue, purple to purple, etc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:24 am 
Neon Mechanic

The first thing you do is fix the check engine light.

Then you fix the car every time the light comes on.

Then you don't have to make posts asking why your car does not run.

Which leads us back to the first sentence in this post.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:27 am 
New

Thanks everyone and sns I'm going to work on it when I get home from work. This is a great forum

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:30 am 
New

RicksNeon wrote:
The first thing you do is fix the check engine light.

Then you fix the car every time the light comes on.

Then you don't have to make posts asking why your car does not run.

Which leads us back to the first sentence in this post.

If u actually read my post u would know that what u said makes no sense whatsoever

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:35 am 
Site Supporter

people are just trying to get help, and trying to offer it, no need to get leaf spring juice. lets stop that there guys

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:38 am 
Global Moderator

If when you turn the key to where the dash lights up and the yellow check engine light does not go on, the bulb is burned or someone took it out. If you are afraid to pull the cluster out, at least take the car to a parts sore that will check the codes with a code reader. Most do that service for free to sell parts. Don't buy any parts until you let us know what codes are being set. The codes should start with the letter P followed by 4 digits.
Sounds like someone put in one of those junk worthless eBay resistors and messed up the wiring doing so. Should be possible to fix.

98 Sport Coupe Alpine Green ATX stock
98 Sport Coupe Amethyst ATX to MTX swap (son's)
97 Expresso Coupe Black ATX stock (daughter's)
97 Sport Coupe Magenta ATX stock (wife's)
95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored to stock)
03 Dakota QC 4.7 4x4 ATX Patriot Blue stock

Can your key can be made from one of the free keys?
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=402268

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:54 pm 
New

Ok guys. Need ur help on this one. I cleaned the throttle body, egr valve, iac valve, and replaced some vac lines I broke. Put it all back together and it started after the second time. It ran great, idled strong. Also the wires to tjat relay go directly into the fuse box. None of the wires would pair up theyre all different. Twenty min later, I went to try and start it and it wouldnt start. I just hear a clicking sound coming from the inside of the cars fuse box that's under the dashboard. The car wasn't cranking at all. Then all i did was disconnect the positive batt cable and reconnect it and it started. Whats going on here?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:28 pm 
Site Supporter

guessing here... asd relay or starter relay. swap starter relay with a known working one and see what happens. also, is it the relays you hear ticking? or the starter?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:13 pm 
Global Moderator

It's starting to sound like that there is some kind of anti-theft system in the car. Look under the dash, by the steering column, if there is an alarm or starter kill system, you'll see a box with a bunch of wiring in there. Most aftermarket systems are spliced into the car's wiring, and have fuseholders in their wiring. That relay on your PDC could be for the anti-theft system. Can you post a pic of the relay and the PDC?