www.neons.org

Home of the Neon Enthusiast
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Strange smell when ac turns off
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:06 pm 
New

Question 1 - Whenever my ac turns off (either by itself, or if I switch to Fan Only), there is a strange smell for a few minutes. It may be that I am getting used to that smell, or it could be that the smell is really going away. I had tested the ac lines (Except inside the firewall) using a soap spray. It could be that, but its been 3-4 hot days, I assume everything should vaporize by now. The smell is not a bad one. Its somewhat "pleasant". Could I be smelling the R134a? The ac has been working reasonably well for 1 week after I had fixed a small leak by simply tightening a bolt at the condenser.

Can the refrigerant leak at the evaporator only when the compressor is turned off and suddenly the pressure increases in a particular portion of the line?

Question 2 - I have some stuck leaves inside somewhere inside the fan. Sometimes things fly out of the vent on the dash, sometimes the fan is not blowing with the usual force.

The vehicle is a 97 Neon.

Post subject: Re: Strange smell when ac turns off
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:27 am 
Neon Enthusiast

githin wrote:
Question 2 - I have some stuck leaves inside somewhere inside the fan. Sometimes things fly out of the vent on the dash, sometimes the fan is not blowing with the usual force.

I have this same problem with my '98 highline. Every time I first start the fan I hear debris moving around. Then it must get stuck somewhere because it doesn't exit at the vents. Fan is also weaker than it should be.

Anyone know the best way to find the restriction?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:36 am 
Site Supporter

Check two things.
If the smell is coming from inside while using recirculating air, its inside of the car.
If its only when using outside air, it might be in your air intake, just below your wiper's.

If its both, its defiantly inside of the car but has nothing to do this the air intake, but possible part of that air cooler. Its just like a small radiator and unless its outside of that device, its inside of your air duct system.

If its in the air duct system, then you need to let it run in some sort of cleaner, such as air control agents. No amount of smell will cover mold or mildew. The air intake for the cab of the car is the grill below the wind shield wiper's.

If its only when outside air is present, its probilily under your wipers, in the air intake system.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:51 am 
Global Moderator

Chances are, the debris is trapped in the hvac box right in front of the evaporator. Open the glovebox, take a look behind it, there might be a small access plug in the hvac box, pull it out, you may be able to see into the box, and stick a vacuum cleaner nozzle in there to clean out the debris. That was what i did with my 95. Also, the blower is on the bottom of the hvac box, it's held in with 3-4 screws. Pull the blower out, you'll be able to clean out the debris from there, too.
It is not unusual to see debris in the hvac box, the intake is in the cowl, right below the right side wiper. That large plastic screen does'nt do much to keep the debris out. If you really want to, you could rig something like window screen to do a better job of keeping the debris out, while still letting air thru.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:30 am 
New

Thanks. I pulled the plug (even without removing the glove box) and turned ON and OFF the fan a couple of times. This removed most of the leaves and bits of junk stuck in there. Now the blower blows with so much more force. At this point, this seems to work. I will do a more detailed cleaning if I feel that there is still stuff left inside.

Another question: Where exactly is the air intake for the fan when its in the recirculating mode?

Its funny that there is not a filter for air intake (both from the outside and the inside). I guess they imagined that most car owners would find a covered parking place for their car. I park my car in front of my apartment, sometimes under a tree, and something gets inside the air intake every now and then.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:18 pm 
Global Moderator

The air intake in recirc mode is right there, under the dash.