www.neons.org

Home of the Neon Enthusiast
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 99 dodge neon sounds weak when cranking
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:58 pm 
New

Hi, I have a 99 dodge neon with SOHC engine. Recently, my car sounds weak when cranking. My battery is about 4.5 years old. It is a 610 CCA battery. and I had the battery tested and shown 534 CCA left. The battery voltage was 12.54V. Time for cranking is 1.2 s. The meter indicated that the battery need to be replaced soon though I think 534 CCA is considerable amount left. Some new battery is only 550 CCA. so I think 534 CCA should be fine with my car. not sure the meter made the decision basing on the life of the battery or the status of battery.

I replaced a secondary starter in 2009. At that time, my car didn't crank.

For the situation now, my car cranked weakly when first I started it on the first ignition place. I turned the key more to the end, the car crank stronger and vibrated.

can anyone suggest it is more likely to be a battery problem or starter problem? thanks a lot

Post subject: Re: 99 dodge neon sounds weak when cranking
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:31 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

4.5 years is about all you can expect from a good battery. I replaced mine a few months back and it was about that old. I suggest replacing it. If the car is able to crank with the current battery, the starter is fine. The cold cranking amps may be fairly high when measured but the battery may quickly lose power due to age.

1998 Dodge Neon Sport Coupe DOHC MTX, Platinum Color (228,000+ miles): Booger Bushings, Magnaflow Muffler, K&N Filter, 22mm/16mm Sway Bars, Prothane bushings/front MM inserts, AC Delete, BT Trunk lighting

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:49 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

I have observed two situations where the aftermarket starter was not as "strong" as the OEM starter.
Or in other words, more crank time was required to get the engine started. Even though the engine, fuel, timing, etc - was all OK.
Maybe your starter is getting a little tired.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:45 am 
New

If you got the cheapest reman at an autoparts store our rebuilders just replace what is broken. High end remands like Ultima replace everything. New is best but with aftermarket parts you really do get what you pay for.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:43 am 
Neon Mechanic

Take the car to a starter/alternator repair shop. They have the equipment and the expertise to diagnose the battery, starter, and alternator. If the starter is worn, it can be drawing too much amperage, dragging the battery down in the process. These shops can rebuild the starter for less than a new one at the parts stores. I have'nt bought a new starter in many years for this reason, have a friend who owns one of these shops.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:25 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Try jump starting it when it is cold. If it starts better/easier then get a new battery. 12.54 is marginal have you load tested this battery?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:15 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

MichNeon wrote:
Take the car to a starter/alternator repair shop. They have the equipment and the expertise to diagnose the battery, starter, and alternator. If the starter is worn, it can be drawing too much amperage, dragging the battery down in the process. These shops can rebuild the starter for less than a new one at the parts stores. I have'nt bought a new starter in many years for this reason, have a friend who owns one of these shops.

This is what I like to hear. Rebuild the quality of the OEM equipment instead of "outsourcing" to abused kids in Brazil.

Kragen, AutoZone, Napa etc - it's just all remanufactured to "minimum" standards. Three or 4 years - then dead.