It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FUSE displayed on the Odometer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:30 am 
Neon Enthusiast

I have a 00 Neon and when I start it the word FUSE displays alternating the odometer milage. I have checked all the fuses in the car and under the hood. They all look good. Could this be an in-line fuse somewhere? I figure it must be pretty important if the computer is designed to display this error on the odometer.

Post subject: Re: FUSE displayed on the Odometer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:36 am 
Neon Mechanic

Check the fuse in the power distribution unit (PDU) under the hood that has the little tongs on it already for you to lift it out. That fuse should be the one.

Click me for the "Key Dance" instructions

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:38 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Does your dome light come on when you open the door? Sounds dumb I know but I have heard that a bad dome light could cause "FUSE" to show up in the odometer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:31 pm 
New

Quote:
Does your dome light come on when you open the door? Sounds dumb I know but I have heard that a bad dome light could cause "FUSE" to show up in the odometer.

Happened to me....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:49 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

No Dome light! I don't think the dome light has ever worked since I have had this car (only 6 months of fixer upper time). This FUSE problem comes andd goes. Just now checking the dome light I checked and the FUSE error was gone. So it's something flaky.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:57 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

It's a loose connection at the IOD fuse in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) under the hood.

'04 R/T Black - Best Stock 2gn N2K13 Best Stock 2gn N2K14
'99 Wrangler Sport (4.0L 5spd)
'97 2dr Black (inheirited from Mom) <Wrecked 01 July 2011>
'93 Cherokee Country <Sold 08 November 2013>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:06 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

I have check all my fuses inside and under the hood. The fuse under the hood makes good connection. Do you know what color wire this would be in the harness? Can I check resistance between the fuse box and another spot inside the car, like the dome light? Althought the dome light wouldn't be the correct spot since the light doesn't work, so there is a short somewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:28 am 
New

the problem is yrou IOD fuse. i am a chysler mechanc for 20 yrs. the iod fuse typically # 18 or 17 in PDC *the one under the hood* if the only fuse that can turn on that warning in yoru dash. it will also caused dome lights to non op. replace and probelm solved

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:00 pm 
New

what happens when this "fuse" light comes on? what is it for? will the car start? :dunno:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:45 am 
Neon Enthusiast

Shellboy, it's not a fuse light. It's the word FUSE displayed where the milage is usually. The car starts and runs fine. I have some power issues inside the cabin, probably because it's not getting the power for this circuit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:34 am 
Neon Enthusiast

dabuhone wrote:
Quote:

Happened to me....

Me 2 lol
Thank god for a cheap repair. Wish all problems were that simple.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:16 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

I've already posted the answer to this earlier in the post and batchelar said it too. It's in the owners, manual, the factory shop manuals along with Chilton's, etc., and here in the FAQ section.

FUSE in the odometer window means the IOD (Ignition-Off Draw) fuse in the Power Distribution Center under the hood is blown, removed, or has a failure in the wiring.

This fuse is removed during long-term storage on the dealer lot before the car is originally sold to keep the battery from being drained by dome lights left on, radio memory, etc. It has a yellow holder around it for quick identification. EVERY Neon built has one of these fuses; and every Chrysler product has one dating back to probably the original LH cars in '93.

I've been a tech in the Chrysler stores from '76-'87, an instructor in the state's tech college system from '87-'95, and finally an instructor at the Chrysler Cincinnati Regional Training Center from '95-'00 and finished out with a short curriculum development job into '01.

Add that to the 2yrs as a student in the tech school where I went back to be an instructor and I have 27yrs in the automotive service business before I went from volunteer Fire/EMS to career Fire/EMS.

'04 R/T Black - Best Stock 2gn N2K13 Best Stock 2gn N2K14
'99 Wrangler Sport (4.0L 5spd)
'97 2dr Black (inheirited from Mom) <Wrecked 01 July 2011>
'93 Cherokee Country <Sold 08 November 2013>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:18 am 
Neon Enthusiast

JonJon wrote:
I've already posted the answer to this earlier in the post and batchelar said it too. It's in the owners, manual, the factory shop manuals along with Chilton's, etc., and here in the FAQ section.

FUSE in the odometer window means the IOD (Ignition-Off Draw) fuse in the Power Distribution Center under the hood is blown, removed, or has a failure in the wiring.

This fuse is removed during long-term storage on the dealer lot before the car is originally sold to keep the battery from being drained by dome lights left on, radio memory, etc. It has a yellow holder around it for quick identification. EVERY Neon built has one of these fuses; and every Chrysler product has one dating back to probably the original LH cars in '93.

I've been a tech in the Chrysler stores from '76-'87, an instructor in the state's tech college system from '87-'95, and finally an instructor at the Chrysler Cincinnati Regional Training Center from '95-'00 and finished out with a short curriculum development job into '01.

Add that to the 2yrs as a student in the tech school where I went back to be an instructor and I have 27yrs in the automotive service business before I went from volunteer Fire/EMS to career Fire/EMS.

Well then I guess you learned something new today also. There is more than 1 reason for the light.
It said FUSE on mine in the same spot. At the same time the dome light went out. It was like that for a couple days. I bought a new bulb, put it in and what do you know? The word FUSE went away.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:04 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Neon in VT, I will replace the bulb. It's an easy try. I have already replaced the fuse and that didn't fix it. I'll try the bulb. If that doesn't work, it has to be in the wiring.

Does anyone know if there are any connectors between the PCM and the dome light? Maybe one came lose, or not plugged correctly. I say this because I believe a new nose has been put on this car and it I don't believe they knew what they were doing. I had a hard error and just ad to reconnect a plug to the transmission to fix it. I also had a loose transmission cooling line. A botched fender installation and no wheel well. Just my humble opinion.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:11 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

OK! I'm back. I had to work on m sons 94 F150.

Soooo, to recap:

It's a loose connection at the IOD fuse in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) under the hood.

I have checked every fuse in the engine fuse box as well the the box inside the car. They all check out. I saw a previous post were they stated the IOD is always a 20Amp fuse. I tried a 20 and there is no difference. The IOD as described here, encompassed by the yellow fuse puller, is fuse #13 labelled 15Amp Int/Lmp on the cover. I started the car with NO fuse with the same result, so the fuse isn't affecting the outcome. So back to my last question:

Does anyone know if there are any connectors between the PCM and the dome light? Maybe one came lose, or not plugged correctly.

I pulled the air filter box and trottle body to get a better look at the wiring. The wiring harness looks undamaged, but that section of the harness is going the wrong way anyways. The wires going to the cab looks good under the hood. Most go to connectors to the left of the brake booster.

Any ideas of how to trouble shoot a possible wiring problem?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:16 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Try replacing the dome light bulb...

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:29 am 
Neon Enthusiast

Sorry for not including this in my summation. I tried different dome light bulbs last night. No change. I started pulling my dash appart following the wires looking for possible breaks or problems. I didn't see anything obvious.

The only other thing I found that might be related, but not a fix; when I have the door open and the key in the ignition a bell is supposed to ding. Taking my dash apart I noticed that when I move the steering wheel up and down (the adjustment), I can get it to go on and off. It stays off if I unplug one of the wiring harnesses from the column, but that's probably because the harness is controlling that functionality.

Another thing I forgot to ask is if anyone knows the color of the wire responsible for the IOD circuit? That would help be. I would be able to follow the wire througout the circuit and maybe bypass if necessary.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:40 am 
Neon Enthusiast

Thirdly, what is the bulb number? When I purchased a new bulb, we couldn't read the old one and the parts guy guessed by the size and shape of the old bulb.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:28 am 
New

ok so i have a 2001 Dodge Neon and my car will not start. Yet, this is the first time i have ever seen the 'Fuse' warning. Could that be the reason why my car wont start?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:36 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

No. My problem was the wire going to the dpme light. It was shorting.