It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2004 dodge neon has only second gear and speedometer at zero
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:35 pm 
New

I have a 2004 dodge neon that only stays in second gear and speedometer does not work or the odometer. I did have a speed sensor fault. I changed both of the speed sensors in the tranny and also the engine control module. Now I do not get the speed sensor fault, but still it does not work. I am getting three codes. Dont have them with me but they were tranny shift problems. There are no faults about speed sensor. Does this car have a vehicle speed sensor and does it relate to the transmission problem? I am new to the dodge and am not sure what to do next. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: 2004 dodge neon has only second gear and speedometer at zero
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:14 am 
Neon Enthusiast

Sounds like the speedometer problem is directly related to your trans. issue
since it runs off the trans. i'm assuming its an auto transmission, have you checked the fluid level and condition? and that there are no loose conections or lines.

2004 SXT SOHC : Turbocharged and intercooled, Greddy E-manage, Innovate wideband, CAI, Crane Cam and springs, Port and polished head and intake , Greddy Profec B boost controller, HUGE front mont oil cooler, Apexi 2 chamber BOV, Apexi turbo timer, unorthidox UDP, Saches stage 2 clutch, Short shifter, SRT-4 Borla dual exhaust, ACR rear swaybar, Shroth 4pt harness, 5 fuel injectors, (New home depo lip) and racing stripes complimenting the 17" http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2433252

Post subject: Re: 2004 dodge neon has only second gear and speedometer at zero
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:56 pm 
New

Sounds like you have 2 separate problems, a transmission problem and a faulty gauge cluster since the speed sensors did not correct the issue. You changed both input and output? Also, does the car start out in 1st gear then shifts to 2nd, or stuck in 2nd at all times? Sounds like the transmission is in a fail safe/limp mode to help prevent further damage.

With respect to the transmission problem, I would try replacing the solenoid block. Be sure to get brand new, not rebuilt/refurbished. The solenoid block is the "brain" of the transmission and sits right on top. It can cause a transmission not to shift gears. Should run $200 bucks or so.