It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cleaning heater core?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:29 pm 
New

2000 Neon, blows hot for a couple seconds, then blows cold. I checked the blend door (thank you all for that) all checks good.

Tstat and cap new. Engine gets up to temp, just like always, fan comes on/off.

Both heater hoses very hot, same as radiator hose.

I cut into the heater hoses, installed a clear hose. When I bypass the heater core (just circulating through the block/radiator, I have great flow. I can see it.

When I connect the supply to the heater core, and put the clear tube in the return, I have practically no flow. I put some Prestone radiator flush in it, ran it about half an hour. Now, it blows warm all the time, lots better, just not hot.

I put some radiator flush in just the heater core and will let it sit overnight.

Am I on the right track? Sound 'bout right? Any pointers?

Post subject: Re: Cleaning heater core?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:46 am 
Neon Enthusiast

I would be interested in knowing how this works out for you. I'm having the same problem with my '00 Neon. I've replaced the t-stat and checked the blend door. Engine comes up to temp but the heat is only luke warm. I haven't tried cleaning or flushing the heater core.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:00 am 
Neon Enthusiast

mabey cause u both live in a place where ur car cant produce enough heat for the temp. :grin: :rofl: just joking i had this problem too but came to find out it was low coolant issue. mabey u could have air in the system, but u said u flushed it and it got warmer if i were u i would flush it again with the prestone stuff then flush with only water about 5 times. When ever i clean my system once a year i always flush the system at the least 5 times in a row with water. Leave the radiator cap off get one of those long plastic funnels for oil and cut it just so it fits in the radiator cap hole, then fill the car with water only and run it (IT MAY BOIL OVER IM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT) u will see the water flowing into the funnel, when u see it start to get any color other than the water ur putting in it, pull the bottom radiator hose ITS GOING TO BE EXTREMLY HOT SO WATCH OUT! then put it back on and repeat 5 times. BTW run ur heat full blast hot while doing this...

Iceman CAI w/ Indy intake and 55mm TB
Long tube headers-no cat-cherry bomb-thrush welded
2004 Dodge SRT4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNXGmWA5wz8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:19 pm 
ORG'N Donator

I think you're on the right track in trying to soak the heater core with cleaner and get the gunk out. At least you're trying to take care of it before it completely freezes up...

What I've always wanted to try is hooking up a pump to one of the lines and have it drain into a bucket on the other line. Then pump parts cleaner through the heater core for an hour or so. I'd have no idea which pump to use, and I have no idea how good parts cleaner is at getting that gunk out of there. Maybe if you have an old fuel pump sitting around or something, try using that.

My car is about the same as yours though, it blows fairly warm, just not hot. If it's above 30 degrees or so outside, it's pretty good, but with the negative temps we had here last week, I was nearly to work before the car was warm enough to shut the heat off (18 mile trip).

Let me know what you do, and the effectiveness of it. I'd like to have a shoe-melting heater in my car!

85 300ZXT, 74 260Z

Minnesota Neons

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:43 am 
Global Moderator

Guys,

I will recommend taking the car to a good Radiator Shop (one with the proper equipment), and ask for a power back-flush of the cooling system.

With a power back-flush, the thermostat is temporarily removed & the cooling system is power-flushed 'backwards', which removes a lot of crud and buildup that a normal flush won't.

I had this done on one of my old MoPars, and it was AMAZING what a difference it made.
It used to run too HOT in summer, and TOO COLD in the winter.
After the power-back flush, not only did the engine run cooler in summertime, BUT it also ran HOTTER in winter !! ( As verified by the temp gauge, AND the volume of heat coming out of the heater core. )

Disclaimer:
To perform a power back-flush, the rest of your cooling system (such as radiator and hoses) should be "up to snuff", so the radiator shop may have to replace any items that are about to fail.
So, if your radiator or hoses are rotted, be ready to replace those, if these have not been done already.

- Nick

-2000 Ply.LX with MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; Magnaflow muffler

-1971 Ply.Scamp SL6cyl. (TRADED for '83 Ddg.Rampage)
-1968 Chry.300 w/440 V8 (sold)
"MoPar or No Car"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:34 am 
ORG'N Donator

NickKo wrote:
I will recommend taking the car to a good Radiator Shop (one with the proper equipment), and ask for a power back-flush of the cooling system.

WHAT?!? And spend money?? That's blasphemous to a Neon owner...though this would probably give the best results and it'll definitely keep your fingernails clean.

85 300ZXT, 74 260Z

Minnesota Neons

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:36 am 
Global Moderator

bust0023 wrote:
NickKo wrote:

WHAT?!? And spend money?? That's blasphemous to a Neon owner...though this would probably give the best results and it'll definitely keep your fingernails clean.

This is not horribly expensive, at least not at the shop that I go to.

I am planning on having this done on my 2000 Neon, I might wait until spring.

- Nick

-2000 Ply.LX with MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; Magnaflow muffler

-1971 Ply.Scamp SL6cyl. (TRADED for '83 Ddg.Rampage)
-1968 Chry.300 w/440 V8 (sold)
"MoPar or No Car"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:13 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

NickKo wrote:
bust0023 wrote:
NickKo wrote:

This is not horribly expensive, at least not at the shop that I go to.

I am planning on having this done on my 2000 Neon, I might wait until spring.

- Nick

unless u have a very good relationship with ur mechanic its gonna cost u at least 200, assuming all needs to be done.

Iceman CAI w/ Indy intake and 55mm TB
Long tube headers-no cat-cherry bomb-thrush welded
2004 Dodge SRT4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNXGmWA5wz8