It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Put my gas gauge to the test
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:57 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

If your crazy like me, and don't like the fact that neon's have small fuel tanks you might be interested in this.

On my 04 the gas reserve light will go off reading an 1/8 of a tank (you likely knew that). Depending on hwy or city you can easy go another 80 to 120 km's.
Keep driving and the reserve light will flash and you will hear some chimes.
I drove another 22 km or 14 miles before the car started to sputter (at which point today I pulled over and poured some gas in that I had in a can in the trunk)

I then went immediately and filled up, putting 46 liters or 11.5 gallons in. Add in the half of gallon I added from my can and you get 12 gallons (12 gallon tank).

But here is the thing, to get the full 12 gallons in, you need to find a pump where you can place the front wheels of the car slightly down hill,, even ever so slightly will help. When the pump clicks off, pull the nozzle out a little and you can add 5 liters or 1.25 gallons without spilling a drop, add any more and it will overfill. You have to take your time and add the last 1.25 gallons super slowly.

I once got 840 km's or 525 miles on a tank. Believe me or not, I know its true. I had a full 12 gallons to start with. It was all highway driving at 62 miles an hour (less or more on hills), but I will also hyper mileing like mad, I was by myself with no extra weight in the car, and had a slight tail wind on the way home. I never shifted about 3000 rpm. When I pulled in the station with the gas light flashing,, you guess it,, 12 gallons on the money.

Why is this information useful? You never know when you might find yourself in a jam and don't have time to stop,, or you may know that gas is far cheaper in the next town in your route 10 miles away.

I just add a disclaimer. If you try this without a jerry can with you and run out,, don't blame me. Okay, yes, there is an adventurous crazy side of me,, let the comments fly :shout:

Post subject: Re: Put my gas gauge to the test
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:41 am 
Neon Mechanic

fredge wrote:
...without a jerry can...

lol yea your not from the USA.
We just call them gas cans. Who is jerry and why does he have a can? lol

When I fill up I normally put 8-9 gallons in. Im not worried about sniffing out the last drops of gas.

Click me for the "Key Dance" instructions

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:20 am 
Neon Enthusiast

when I had a 100km commute each way to work i found the same, if the light came on near to my destination, I could comfortbly make the whole other trip. Just had a look at my old mpg spreadsheet and I had a 638km (~400miles) and only put in 41litres, another fill up was 46.02L, that could have been 700km, never saw 800 (but I didn't hypermile).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:06 am 
Neon Enthusiast

Jerry can is the magical man in your trunk, usually red in colour, who provides you with gas at the side of the road to get your sorry @ss home because you tried to stretch every last kilometer out of the tank. :grin:

OK all jokes aside, I have also learned the same fueling tricks to get every drop you can into the tank. My favorite gas station has a slight slope on one pump that I usually use. So far my best mileage was during my trip to BC this past summer.

I was able to go 659km on 39L of premium with two adults in the car and well over 300lbs of gear. This was from Winnipeg to Moose Jaw. Being the 3.94 final drive trans with a .72 fifth gear, this was amazing.

Fredge - 840km to a tank is not hard to believe at all. My friend has a 3-spd auto trans and regularly gets 700+km to a tank on regular. I called BS but its true. Granted, this is all highway mileage as he lives in the sticks.

Another reason I can see you getting that kind of mileage is your transmission gearing. You have the best of both worlds with the 3.55 final drive and .72 fifth gear.

Filling your tank that extra 5L or so after it clicks off is definitely a big factor in mileage per tank.

All I do is phawk'n party

My Feedback - http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=387949

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:43 pm 
Global Moderator

Floyd wrote:
fredge wrote:
...without a jerry can...

lol yea your not from the USA.
We just call them gas cans. Who is jerry and why does he have a can? lol

When I fill up I normally put 8-9 gallons in. Im not worried about sniffing out the last drops of gas.

Floyd, the term 'Jerry Can' came from the military. They were designed and used by the Germans before WW2. During WW2, the British and the U.S. militaries saw them, and nicknamed them jerrycans, because the term jerry was used as an disparaging name for the Germans.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:30 am 
Neon Enthusiast

Floyd wrote:
Im not worried about sniffing out the last drops of gas.

It just ends up down the fuel neck vent and into the charcoal canister anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:02 pm 
Global Moderator

I just did a little math.... I average a little over 1200 miles a month, go thru about 50 gallons of gas, with an average fuel mileage in the mid 20's. My low fuel light comes on at about 1/8th of the tank, and it does a chime when it first comes on. I know my fuel mileage should be better, but considering that i have a daily commute on a jammed up freeway (about 250 miles a week), and all the running around many nights when i get home and the general condition of the drivetrain, i would say that it's decent enough for me. It actually gets better fuel mileage than the last two cars i had. :grin:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:36 pm 
Retired Moderator

So exactly why do 15 extra miles per tank matter when the overall mileage remains the same? More distance on more gas is NOT more MPG.

Also, running low-no fuel means the fuel pump has no cooling. Have fun dropping your tank when it burns up. 32mpg is 32mpg wheter you put in 9 gallons or 12.75.

So, when your Mexican motor explodes, will candy come out? -Reed
Less is more, and the big things are often the little things that someone would overlook. -Roysneon
Sometimes I feel like I'm reading what 800 monkeys wrote before they stumbled onto Shakespeare. -Me
Awesome, you figured out the keyboard. Now you can arrange letters to make words. -Ben
My sauce is awesome because I innovate. Your sauce is weak because you replicate. -Me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:02 am 
Global Moderator

Damnit, Laverty wrote:
So exactly why do 15 extra miles per tank matter when the overall mileage remains the same? More distance on more gas is NOT more MPG.

Also, running low-no fuel means the fuel pump has no cooling. Have fun dropping your tank when it burns up. 32mpg is 32mpg wheter you put in 9 gallons or 12.75.

That's right, running the fuel pump w/o fuel can kill it prematurely. The pump uses the fuel for cooling, and running it out or very low can overheat it. I've told my family that, never to let the level get below 1/8 tank. It's also the same for diesel equipped cars and trucks. There is one extra problem with diesels, if you run out of fuel, the system has to be primed manually to get it running. That's about an extra $100 to get it primed. (deisel fuel systems cannot prime with air in the system.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:50 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies and comments. I will let you know if I ever replace my fuel pump. Your right, more miles on a tank will not result in better mpg. Its just how I am, I need to put things to the test.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:39 am 
Retired Moderator

fredge wrote:
Thanks for all the replies and comments. I will let you know if I ever replace my fuel pump. Your right, more miles on a tank will not result in better mpg. Its just how I am, I need to put things to the test.

:good: :good: :good:

So, when your Mexican motor explodes, will candy come out? -Reed
Less is more, and the big things are often the little things that someone would overlook. -Roysneon
Sometimes I feel like I'm reading what 800 monkeys wrote before they stumbled onto Shakespeare. -Me
Awesome, you figured out the keyboard. Now you can arrange letters to make words. -Ben
My sauce is awesome because I innovate. Your sauce is weak because you replicate. -Me