It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trouble codes... Im new to my Neon
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:23 am 
New

Well hello readers, Im new to my neon but first time for everything. Any way here is a quick rundown of the car, and my dilemma and i hope to receive so insight.

I bought a 2000 Neon automatic (3 SPEED) with 166,000 miles from my step sister who has had it for 5 years.

For 5 years the check engine light has been on and I finally took it (now that it's mine) to be tested.

I went to 3 different places to see if the results would change. Here is the results of my stops.

1.autozone trouble codes were (P0743,P0137)
2. superlube trouble codes were (P0743,P0137)
3.discount auto trouble codes were (P0743,P0137,P1899)

I bought a Haynes repair manual and here is what I know...

P0743=Open or shorted condition detected in torque converter clutch solenoid control circuit
P0137=Downstream oxygen sensor input voltage below normal operating range.
P1899 is not in the Haynes manual so I don't know what that is. I only got that code once.

Ive seen forum posts about the TCC solenoid and I will check the plug-in condition first.

I suppose my main question is are the two common codes (p0743 and p0137) related?...should I spend the money and replace the 2nd oxygen sensor? I planned on spending $135.00 at a mechanic to have them run a full computer test to locate the source of the "open or shorted" circuit. They said it could be a frayed wire or the parts could actually be bad themselves....anyone have suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Trouble codes... Im new to my Neon
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:31 am 
Neon Enthusiast

I just fixed my 2001 with a P0743 code and after 2 new solenoids and about a week of working on it I found a bad wire in the harness. Be sure to check wires carefully before dumping parts into these cars!!!

95 sohc atx circle track and fig 8 car (totaled)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:27 am 
New

Yeah I don't want to over look the small things...Im taking it to Aamco in about an hour to have them pin point the cause. It's either a bad wire or the solenoid itself. I'll repost when I find out. Thanks for your reply

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:05 pm 
New

So it has been 6 days since I last replied...Sorry about the time for those who were interested in reading sooner. Fortunately I used the time to continue my research through many different sites, forums, youtube videos and my Haynes manual.

I am super stoked to say that I fixed the problem all on my own without dropping any money at Aamco, orf on any parts.

I read in several different places about checking the plug on the TCM (transmission control module) after I learned how to locate it, and access it, I went and bought some electronics cleaner from autozone. I unplugged the plug, sprayed it, let it dry put everything back together, replaced my battery and battery terminals so naturally it cleared the codes, and BAM no more check engine light!!!!! the problem was the plug in was infact not plugged all the way in and it was dirty...quick fix, and I saved myself $135 instead of paying Aamco to do what I was able to do myself.

Thanks for reading.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:16 pm 
Site Supporter

your rear o2 sensor will likely throw a code again. disconnect the plug from the computer and from the o2 sensor, ohm out the wires. DO NOT DO THIS WITH THE COMPUTER CONNECTED OR WITH THE O2 SENSOR CONNECTED. you can, and likely will damage both

98 r/t sedan with a 2006 pt 2.4(stock pcm btw). she ran... then the tranny gave up on me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:38 pm 
New

You know I was actually wondering that....The light is completely out now and I have only driven a couple of miles since fixing it. I dont know what computer you are referring too, or how to "ohm out" the wires...can you elaborate in detail so that if the light comes back on and its the same oxygen sensor code I can trouble shoot it?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:22 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Give it another day or two, and the 'Check Engine' light will come on again, this time because of the faulty O2 sensor. Definitely need a new one.

'98 DOHC ITB Plymouth Neon ACR Coupe - sadly, gone to car heaven :'(
'98 DOHC ITB Dodge Neon R/T Coupe
'98 DOHC ITB Dodge Neon R/T Coupe winter car with 239,000 miles (385,001 km's)
Looking for a clean Alpine Green with fogs. Coupe or sedan!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:31 pm 
New

If I were to take it to run another OBD II test now with the check engine light OFF would the code show up? Or do I simply wait it out to see if it comes back?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:05 pm 
Neon Mechanic

You dont even need a scanner with a Neon.
Do the "Key dance" in my sig to get codes for your car in the comfort of your own driveway.

Click me for the "Key Dance" instructions

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:56 pm 
New

I actually stumbled upon the "Key dance" on youtube about an hour before you posted...so freaking awesome that I dont have to use a scanner.. The only code I get when I do the key dance is p1684 which means the battery was disconnected within the last 50 starts. Which makes sense because I replaced my battery and battery terminals today....No more codes to worry about....at the moment anyway...now my next major issue....Ill start a new thread.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:49 am 
Site Supporter

the computer i was referring to is the PCM for the vehicle. ohming is checking the resistance/continuity of the wires. basically checking for a break in the wire. if you know the specific resistance of each wire, you can also tell if its got partial breaks (a few strands broken but not the whole wire) or if there is any corrosion. you use a volt meter, set to the omega symbol (little upside down horseshoe) and probe each wire, one at each end. if its open, the wire is broken. you cannot do this with an o2 sensor.

to test the o2, the safest way is with an obd2 scanner, it will show the voltages of each o2 sensor. but if the wires are bad, you wont get an accurate reading. which will throw the check engine light, and make you go spend 50 bucks on a new o2, when it couldve just been 2 bucks worth of wires that needed replacing

98 r/t sedan with a 2006 pt 2.4(stock pcm btw). she ran... then the tranny gave up on me

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:55 am 
New

I spoke with a highly trained transmission mechanic at Aamco about this today. I was under the impression that the two codes were separate issues but I learned that they were from the same problem, which was a wire fully seated on my transmission.

The way he explained it was like this, when the torque converter control solenoid aka the Lockup solenoid is activated usually around 40-50MPH and it "locks up", the motor changes the air to fuel ratio needed for optimum performance. Because the transmission wire was not fully seated, my transmission was was not geting a full "lock",(at least electronically)... therefore the optimum air to fuel ratio was not properly met which brings us to the o2 sensor doing its job going "hey your exhaust is too lean/rich, im going to let the check engine light know..." That is why I received the trouble code for the o2 sensor...fix the transmission circuit, and the exhaust circuit is fixed. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:45 pm 
New

Well oddly enough...despite the well spoken professional I spoke to at Aamco...my check engine light came back on tonight...did the key dance trouble code check and my code p0137 came back...Looks like Dual_ACRs and sparkysneonsport was right....Not sure if a test needs to be done, or if I should just replace the O2 sensor.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:35 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

At the very least crawl under the car and check the wiring harness. Neons are really, REally, REALLY bad about having shorted, melted, broken wires in the harness.
If you want to you can go ahead and spend $70 or so for the sensor but the code may still come back because the wiring is bad.
Just for a frame of reference, the last three times mine threw codes it was a wiring harness issue each and every time! And two of those times the issue seriously affected the engines operation and mimiked exactly sensor failure...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:19 pm 
New

What wiring harness am I looking for? where is the general location? engine compartment, or near the O2 sensor? you have any pictures for reference?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:05 pm 
Global Moderator

A couple of points here; That trans. tech is partially correct. When the TCC locks up, the result is the rpm of the engine drops about 500, and the pcm does work to optimize the air/fuel mixture. But that is a normal condition, it will not cause a code to be set. Now, a common problem is the connector of the TCC solenoid not being seated all the way on the solenoid, that creates a loose/bad connection in the circuit, and will set a code. Check the connector, push it hard enough to make sure that it's seated all the way on. (the rubber may be hard, due to age and the thermal cycles.)
As far as the O2 sensor code goes, it is common for the wiring to be damaged in one way or another. The two most common causes are; 1-Heat, from the exhaust, there have been many reports of the wiring cooking inside the harnesses, you have to take the harness apart to find the damage. 2; Chafing, from the harness being improperly positioned or just moving around. Look in the area over the passenger side axle, they sometimes fall down and rub thru on the axle, which can create wiring problems. Look at where the wiring harness wraps around the corner of the cylinder head, they sometimes rub thru in that spot. Just follow the wiring from the sensors.
NeonNoob, if you don't have access to a lift, get a pair of ramps. Having the front end up higher will give you plenty of room to look over the wiring from below, as well as to be able to do routine maintenance, like oil changes.