www.neons.org

Home of the Neon Enthusiast
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: any way to hop up a sohc 2.0?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:08 am 
New

Hi, I'm new to this site..I was wondering is there way to hop up a sock 2.o? also when you hit the throtle when you take off has a slight bog to it,is there any way to fix it?

Post subject: Re: any way to hop up a sohc 2.0?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:19 am 
Neon Enthusiast

You must be driving an automatic transmission.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

97 Plymouth Neon coupe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:25 am 
New

PensacolaRebel wrote:
You must be driving an automatic transmission.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

yes,but out of 3 cars we have with 2.0 this one is really spunky. car has 103.000 on it..we have a 98 neon with a Dohc and a 98 breeze with a SOHC..yes thats 3 cars that are 2.0's in them..the take off is snapy ,but I can hear alittle bog to it on the takeoff. Like I said would like to do a few tricks to this 2.0..before I do a big major mod to this car if things go wright..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:48 am 
Site Supporter

1st of all Welcome to the ORG :) 2ndly familiarize yourself w/ the search function, it'll save us all time.

3rd start w/ all the little things like maintenance items and so forth. Check compression (even across all cylinders?), fuel pressure, fluid levels (leaks?), vacuum leaks, ect - you'll have a better idea of where some of that power is being lost.

If you do not have the tools or aptitude to use one I suggest picking up a manual and spending more time gettin dirty! Neons are very easy cars to work on :good:

FEEDBACK http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=382473&p=3192373#p3192373

Anonymous wrote:
Imperfections on a neon are fine, so long as it's quick. Slowness only accentuates aesthetic flaws.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:41 pm 
New

Theneonix wrote:
1st of all Welcome to the ORG :) 2ndly familiarize yourself w/ the search function, it'll save us all time.

3rd start w/ all the little things like maintenance items and so forth. Check compression (even across all cylinders?), fuel pressure, fluid levels (leaks?), vacuum leaks, ect - you'll have a better idea of where some of that power is being lost.

If you do not have the tools or aptitude to use one I suggest picking up a manual and spending more time gettin dirty! Neons are very easy cars to work on :good:

easy to work on?? the second isnt.. they made it worse .timming belts and altunator and powerstearing belt isnt fun to change.. 1 first gen are alot easyer because the fron end is 3 wider then second gens. I dont mind getting dirty,thats in my blood.. Been doing autobodywork for 30+ years..ill look into what you said..it does rip the tires thow.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:01 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

1) Remove any aftermarket intake system - revert to stock.
2) Check for vacuum leaks within the intake manifold, and from the brake booster.
3) Clean throttle body.
4) Reset ECU by pulling its fuse for 5 min.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:56 pm 
Neon Mechanic

2nd gen Neon is very easy to work on compared to a lot of new cars out there.
If you are changing those belts that much you either put a TON of miles on the car or something is wrong.
Im on the same belts from 04 (AC and PS) and I just changed my timing belt/water pump at 105k. Heck I still got the stock clutch and rotors from 04 and I have almost 150k now.

Click me for the "Key Dance" instructions

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:05 am 
New

Floyd wrote:
2nd gen Neon is very easy to work on compared to a lot of new cars out there.
If you are changing those belts that much you either put a TON of miles on the car or something is wrong.
Im on the same belts from 04 (AC and PS) and I just changed my timing belt/water pump at 105k. Heck I still got the stock clutch and rotors from 04 and I have almost 150k now.

I don't put many miles on my cars.. I'm old school.. I change my timming belt at 50.000 to 60.000 miles! I'm not going to risk F ingup my valves train=costly repairs to replace them over not changing a simple 23.00-35.00 timming belt..automatic trans fluid and filter change at 54.000..other belts if they show any cracks there going to be replaced. Tuneup's every 2 years or 24.000miles..first gen theres more room between the timming cover side to the frame.. second gen less room like 1 inc..you have to jackup the motor to clear to remove idler tention/side motor mount and remove other stuff. All I wanted to know is there any simple ways to hop a 2.0 alittle bit,like what cams would you sudjest and other things..This motor and tranny will proubley be going the wife.. Im going to find a neon with a junk motor to throw it in and give it to the wife..Like I'd said before if thing go wright with me,I'm planning to prostreet my neon. yes prostreet it..This would be my 3rd prostreet car I'd built.. I have the motor for it too,5.7 HEMI! :grin: Im tired of seeing Hondas and other rice burnners running around thinking there hot. :negative: .Theres only 3 SRT4 in the tri state area..Im not trying to start a fight or war on this site. :sorry: .I'd never monkey around a 4 cyclender engines that much. Im more of a V8 guy. :grin:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:14 am 
Neon Mechanic

Going from a v8 to a Neon you are about to be seriously, seriously disappointed my friend.
Stick with the v8s and be happy.

Click me for the "Key Dance" instructions