It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2001 Dodge Neon SE - Code P1390 ?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:38 pm 
New

I just bought a manual transmission 2001 Dodge Neon SE 4-door with 139,000 miles. About 15 min after driving it off the lot the check oil light came on. Shortly after, if not at the same time, the check engine light came on. The car sounded and felt like it was running fine. I checked the oil which looked clean and at the appropriate levels. The engine was clean with no obvious signs of leakage. No puddle of fluids under the car. When I checked the codes with my OBD2 scanner I got the following message:

P1390 - Manufacturer Contrl. Ignition System or Misfire

I have no idea what this means or where to start. I checked the FAQ section on this website, but the codes and the error messages don't seem to match what I'm seeing on my scanner. Hopefully one of you kind souls can help me with this issue before I end up taking the car to some dishonest mechanic who'll try to charge $200 for refilling "blinker fluid" to the proper levels. :scratch:

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: 2001 Dodge Neon SE - Code P1390 ?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:03 am 
Global Moderator

According to Chrysler's tech info, P1390 is "Timing belt skipped 1 tooth or more".
The first thing the diagnostic procedure says to do is to check the valve timing; that is to check the timing belt, make sure that the belt hasn't skipped, that the cam and the crank timing marks are in alignment. If the cam and crank timing is good, the diag. procedure then says to perform the cam/crank relearn with the DRB3.
At 139,000 miles, that would be way past the timing belt change interval, as it is supposed to be changed about every 105,000 miles. Check to see if the belt has been changed. If you do have to change it, replace the water pump at the same time, as the water pump seems to have roughly the same service life as the t-belt. Make sure that you find out about the t-belt, as the engine is an interference design, if the belt breaks, or it skips more than 1 tooth, the valves will meet the pistons, and there will be expensive damage.
As far as the oil light goes, most likely the oil pressure sending unit is bad. It is on the back of the engine, with a green connector. I would recommend the Chrysler part over the aftermarket ones, they seem to last longer w/o leaking.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:28 am 
Site Supporter

adamfsu wrote:
I just bought a manual transmission 2001 Dodge Neon SE 4-door with 139,000 miles. About 15 min after driving it off the lot the check oil light came on. Shortly after, if not at the same time, the check engine light came on. The car sounded and felt like it was running fine. I checked the oil which looked clean and at the appropriate levels. The engine was clean with no obvious signs of leakage. No puddle of fluids under the car.
When was the timing belt changed? It is IMPERATIVE that you determine if or when the timing belt, the timing belt tensioner and the water pump was replaced. If it has not been serviced recently, you run the danger of breaking or stripping teeth off of the timing belt - thus causing some bent valves and a expensive repair.

Clear the codes and drive the car to see if the code returns within a few miles or minutes.

Read the FIRST line in my sig...

adamfsu wrote:
When I checked the codes with my OBD2 scanner I got the following message: - - - - - P1390 - Manufacturer Contrl. Ignition System or Misfire - - - - I have no idea what this means or where to start.Thanks!
That particular explanation of the P1390 code is not a Chrysler definition. It is a poor generic attempt to tell you that there has been a fault with the cam position signal.

That (or those) generic fault codes could include - but not be limited to - these Dodge / Plymouth / Chrysler specific code definitions:

P1390 Timing belt skipped 1 tooth or more. (sometimes called "Code 11" on the 1st gen cars)
or
P1391 Intermittent loss of CMP (CaM Position sensor) or CKP (CranK Position sensor) During Cranking
or
No crank reference signal @ PCM
or
P3298 Misfire adaptive numerator at limit - CKP sensor target windows have too much variation.

My sneaking suspicion is one of two things:
1. The timing belt was replaced and the CEL was thrown because the new cam position was not within the allowed range (too much variation) from the position of the worn belt.

If you clear the code and it does not return SOON - you can pretty much discard #1 as a factor - not totally discard, but there is a high probability that it is not the problem.

2. OR - the more likely scenario - and the reason for a THOROUGH VISUAL INSPECTION - - The mere fact that the oil pressure light has come on for no apparent reason - and the loss of CMP at the "same" time - but the engine continues to run well - makes me think that there is a intermittent wiring issue in that area of the harness. This is not unusual on the 1st gen cars. Is it also a problem on the 2nd gen cars? I do not know. Someone on this board will know....

Do a thorough visiual inspection of the engine harness in the area of the cam sensor, the coolant temp sensor and the oil pressure sensor. This area of the harness is most likely to suffer damage where it goes around the rear corner of the head on the drivers side of the head.

Real hot rods don't have valve covers.

Speed costs money ... How fast do you want to go? - or, in MY case - How fast CAN you AFFORD to go?

There is NO substitute for cubic inches, a blower and a bottle....

The worst suggestion of your lifetime may be the catalyst to the grandest idea of the century, never let suggestions go unsaid nor fail to listen to them. Author unknown - at least to me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:03 pm 
New

Thanks for the replies... I'm not much of a mechanic, so I'm still spending some time googling and researching parts of your answers that I don't understand. I cleared the code, drove it for 5 minutes and the same code returned. I bought the car from a used car dealership, so I have no idea whether or not the timing belt, water pump, or anything has ever been replaced. I'll post updates once I'm able to understand and visually inspect other things you mentioned in your posts. If you have more input to offer, I'll be checking this thread. Thanks again.