It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil light keeps coming on?
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:55 pm 
New

About a month ago, the check oil light came on. Worried i immediately checked the oil and there was plenty of oil. Since then the oil bell will not stop chiming and there's always plenty of oil. Its driving me nuts. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, please help point me in the right direction. Thanks a bunch.

Post subject: Re: Oil light keeps coming on?
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:20 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Bad oil pressure sender switch or you have an oil pressure problem. Given you've been driving it for as long as you have with the oil pressure light illuminating I would bank on it being a bad sender.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:22 pm 
Neon Genius

Two ways to handle this.

1) Change the oil pressure sending unit. Hope that it is defective and that it is causing the problem. This is the cheap and easy (cheating) way. It will not tell you actual oil pressure or engine condition. If you have low oil pressure or a wiring issue the light might still be on and you won't know why.

2) Check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge to verify actual pressure. Then from the results of that, replace sender, fix wiring issues, or replace engine.

niceguy wrote:
Jerk

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:17 pm 
Global Moderator

jimbo in MI wrote:
Two ways to handle this.

1) Change the oil pressure sending unit. Hope that it is defective and that it is causing the problem. This is the cheap and easy (cheating) way. It will not tell you actual oil pressure or engine condition. If you have low oil pressure or a wiring issue the light might still be on and you won't know why.

2) Check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge to verify actual pressure. Then from the results of that, replace sender, fix wiring issues, or replace engine.

That should be the first thing to do, even though the sending units are fairly cheap. It is better from the standpoint of knowing what is going on with the oil pressure. Even if you wind up needing only to replace the sending unit, it is beneficial. Also, get the Mopar unit, they seem to be of a better quality than the aftermarket ones.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:34 pm 
New

Ok thanks for sending me in the right direction fellas, u guys are apperciated! Now I got to find where this sending unit is?

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:57 pm 
Global Moderator

Back side, near the bellhousing end. It is right above the rightside driveshaft. It may have a green connector, if it is not green, it is a single wire connector.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:41 am 
New

You guys were right! I swapped out the oil pressure sending switch and it stopped coming on! You guys are awesome thanks for help! Much appreciated!