It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TRANSPONDER CHIP IGNITION KEY
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:56 pm 
New

Hi all, I have a 2005 SXT that when I bought it the previous owner gave me some keys that are not original, I have seen on Ebay that there is a orginal remote (FCC ID: GQ43VT9T) I have understood that some Neons came with the system opening factory remote and some not ... How I can know if my Neon came with that system or not? Do I have to buy the key with chip? I hope you can help me, because I want putting on the remote system to make it more practical. Greetings!

Post subject: Re: TRANSPONDER CHIP IGNITION KEY
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:37 pm 
Site Supporter

since you have an 05 your key must have a chip in it. If you don't have a keyless entry fob you can get one and have it programmed. I believe most were equipped with keyless entry but to check you can pop up the dash and look for a black box in the middle of the top of the dash

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=354472

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:08 am 
Global Moderator

If you have one of the original keys to the car, look at it. Cars with the SKIS have a fat gray head on the key. I can't remember atm when Chrysler made the SKIS standard, but i think it was 2003. In any case, your 05 should have the SKIS. One easy way to tell if you don't have any original keys is to take the column covers off and look. With the SKIS, there will be a small black box right behind the ignition key cylinder, with a loop around the key cylinder.
As srt4eh said, it is easy to see if your car has the RKE system, the module for it is in the middle of the dash, right behind/above the center vents. Pop the top dash panel off, (two screws in the windshield defrost grille, and one screw at each end, on the side of the dash.) you'll be able to see it.
I also would recommend going to your local dealer's parts dept and have them print out the build sheet. You may have to show proof that it is your car. That sheet has all the info on it as to what the car was built with. It should be free.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:49 pm 
New

Thanks for the information, now disarmed the center of the board, for lack of time I could not find the RKE module, but could not find a key lined with black electrical tape, it caught my attention, I upload the photo here ...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:36 am 
Global Moderator

That means either there is an aftermarket alarm/remote start system in the car, or somebody decided that they did'nt want to spend some money for a transponder key. Some alarm system installers put an extra key that is programmed into the SKIS right next to the SKIM, to allow the aftermarket alarm system/remote start to work. One installer i knew would put one that was uncut, but programmed in right next to the SKIM with a ziptie. I'm not a fan of stashing a key in the column. It creates a weak link in the security of the car. If the car thief finds the key, he can just pop the key cylinder and put his own in, and would be able to start the car and drive it away.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:01 pm 
New

Thank you very much for answering MichNeon, do everything possible to get the original sisteme be more confident in my Neon, will keep you posted, Greetings from Peru!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:15 pm 
Global Moderator

You're welcome. :good:
Good luck. I understand that it is difficult and expensive to get parts in South America.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:50 am 
Neon Enthusiast

To add to this, you do not need SKIS/SKIM to have RKE. RKE is a totally separate system.

Depending on the trim level/option will determine if it was factory installed. Or looking under the dash pad, but that doesn't guarantee someone didn't pull the module. You need to verify there is at least a module, before spending money on a FOB. If there is a connector for one, you may be able to get a used/new module, and FOBs, but IIRC, a dealer will need to program everything to make it work. It isn't as simple as programming an additional FOB if it is already functioning, but it can be done, provided the dealer knows what they are doing...

Michneon is correct that SKIM was standard, and not a choice, beginning in 2003. In previous years (2000 to 2002) it was an option.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:39 pm 
Neon Mechanic

Its also a possibility that the key cylinder was faulty or broken so the previous owner got a new key tumbler with keys and installed that instead of swapping the tumbler to match the original key. So he taped the old key to the column to allow the new key to work with a SKIM key

Feedback: http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=382275

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:54 pm 
New

So you see whatever it says wickedgoodneon ... this is the current cylinder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:29 pm 
Neon Mechanic

The only way I tell would be to compare your keys with the taped in key

Feedback: http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=382275