It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2000 Neon wont start!Please help!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:57 pm 
New

Hi this is my first post, I have a 2000 LX neon, with a 2001 motor, im trying to get the car on the road, but im having a problems. i finished putting a new motor in it and it started revved up to 5000 rpm then died, i fixed the air intake hose from the throttle body to the intake, since I've had that problem before with a 2001 neon i had, and i put a new exhaust gasket in this morning, and i was so happy that it should run fine now, but i go to start it, and the starter just wouldn't kick in, i changed the relay about 4 times and it just didn't work, so i ran a jumper wire from the battery to the starter Solenoid, (which i have also done before and worked.) but it just wont start. i don''t know why this just randomly decided to break within 3 min, does anyone know what it could be the issue, i know its still getting fuel, and it should be getting air, but i don't know about spark. and now im looking for any suggestions... please help thanks in advance
Dillon :ireful:

Post subject: Re: 2000 Neon wont start!Please help!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:59 pm 
Sponsoring Dealer

So when you put the jumper right to the starter solenoid does it crank or no? Got the grounds hooked up? Make sure your connections at the battery are good and clean/tight.

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=409775

PM me for T-350 transmission parts, rebuilds, and modified OBX diffs and shorter shift arms!

Now making no-90 intakes, battery trays, and cables!

https://www.facebook.com/KinnetticKreations

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:10 pm 
New

oh yeah it was firing about 10 min before i fixed the hose from the throttle body to the intake then it just stoped working. when i put the jumper it cranks but it doesn't run. it just keeps cranking. so I've lost spark. i don't know how...

Last edited by PurplePerkin on Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:14 pm 
Sponsoring Dealer

Fix the problem with it not cranking without the jumper first, that may or may not fix your other no-spark problem. Find out why it won't crank without help.

You're getting fuel? As in fuel pressure or your injectors are firing? There's a big difference in what people say as "getting fuel".

PM me for T-350 transmission parts, rebuilds, and modified OBX diffs and shorter shift arms!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:23 pm 
New

well that's what i have been trying to do, but see i had this problem with my old neon which i took the computer from, could it be in the computer? the only thing is, that it did work for a while but it just stoped for what seems no reason. i traced the solenoid wire back to the relay center soon, but i know that power is going to the relay and coming out of the relay but I've changed the relay about 3 times but if i don't have a jumper it doesn't even crank. it worked 10 min ago, could it possibly be a loose connection to the throttle body that's causing the issue?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:25 pm 
New

oh and yeah the fuel pump is kicking in, and its has pressure and the injectors are firing but just no spark.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:27 pm 
Sponsoring Dealer

That's not why it isn't cranking, you need to fix that. The relay only turns on the solenoid, power to crank over the engine comes from the big cable on the battery that goes straight to the starter. Fix the obvious problem first, the cranking circuit is easy. If you have power coming from the relay to the solenoid, it should at least click, does it? If so, you don't have enough juice to crank it over. That's the fat wire going from the battery to the big stud on the starter, which is probably the one you jumped your jumper to.

If the injectors are firing, then your cam and crank sensors should be working, coil pack plugged in?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:35 pm 
New

no the power wire is fine. its the solenoid wire i took the little green solenoid wire out and used an old one i had and just ran a wire straight to the battery. the actual power to the starter is good, it just wont engage, and the relay doesn't click, and i replaced it, still nothing. so it seems like the relay is gone but i changed it,

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:48 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

grab a wireing diagram check for power constant with key on at the inj, n coil. should be the only wire they have in common n then check the grounds. do you have all the grounds on the engine? they are super sensitive so lack of grounds. also check the two connectors that go from engine harrness to body the gray n black one. could be a probablem there.

98 neon mtx- d.d. right now. gonna be big when it happens.

**"Why wont u race my neon??" - "Cause, i dont want to lose to a neon..."**

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:49 pm 
New

solved the relay problem...sorta, now the car cranks over, is getting spark and fuel, plenty of compression at the intake and exhaust but still no start... im thinking possibly bad plugs or clogged injectors, cant really think of anything else, anybody else have some ideas?

Dillon
... I love Neon's.... when they run...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:17 pm 
Sponsoring Dealer

Double check timing? Got a spare set of injectors from other car?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:23 pm 
New

do you know an easier way to check the timing without having to take the harmonic balancer off again?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:41 pm 
Sponsoring Dealer

Yes, pull spark plug out of cylinder 1. Get a long wooden dowel that will fit in the hole and stick it in there. Slowly rotate engine until the dowel "peaks" and starts to go back down. The point when it's at it's highest is top dead center, your mark on the crank should be lined up now. Look at the mark on the cam gear. If it's not there, rotate engine 180 degrees since you may be at TDC of the wrong stroke.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:10 pm 
New

checked timing, seems fine. but i think it might be my injectors. i took the throttle body hose off, sprayed a little gas into the intake and i got some sputter, so i put good ones in. but still no sputter now... could it be the computers fault or a sensor telling the injectors not to fire?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:17 pm 
New

Figured it out, since the computer was from another car, the key and the immobilizer didn't match the computer so when i was trying with my original key it was telling the computer that this is the wrong key... so i took the tumbler and the immobilizer out of the car where i got the computer from and now it starts fine, no bypassing of the starter relay or anything... only thing i have to do now is change all the door tumblers and or carry 2 keys... i don't really care, no big deal to me, as long as its running. thanks everyone for your help much appreciated. hope this helps anyone who reads this. thanks again

Much appreciated
Dillon