www.neons.org

Home of the Neon Enthusiast
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shadow Brake Upgrade vs Spirit, Sundance, Acclaim?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:39 pm 
Sponsoring Dealer

I'm having trouble finding Shadows in our local junk yards, but there are a bunch of other similar '91+ Chrysler cars. Is there any easy way to confirm casting numbers or cross-reference chart to see what else is available? Should I simply take a tape measure/micrometer to confirm dimensions? Does anyone have a spare set available? I can take an '01 knuckle for comparison as well, but I'm not sure how much help it will be, so?

I would like to find a 10" version so I can use the stock Neon caliper and rotor, but convert to a bolt-on hub and avoid machining a second gen strut clevis for 1st gen coilovers. This would let me run my 13" rims until I can upgrade to an 11" brake 15" rim combo...

Post subject: Re: Shadow Brake Upgrade vs Spirit, Sundance, Acclaim?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:47 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

There are a couple in the local Take a part I could pull.

1997 Volvo 850 Turbo
2005 Volvo S40 T5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:58 pm 
Neon Genius

All K base cars are the same, that includes Spirit, Acclaim, LeBaron, Shadow, Sundance, Daytona, Dynasty, Imperial, 5th Ave, New Yorker.

The 91 and up are the desirable knuckles. Most of these have bolt on caliper adapters, those are the ones you want. I believe some Imperial and 5th Ave have a cast in caliper bracket, those are not the correct ones.

The only difference between all these knuckles are the caliper brackets. I don't know the dimensions, but you should be able to take a tape measure in the center of the hub and see what the clearance to the caliper bracket is. There should be nearly 1" difference between 10" and 11" in the distance from the center of the hub to the ear of the caliper bracket.

The early ones (82-90) are similar to 1st gen Neon. Most of them have a cast in caliper bracket, press in wheel bearing, and are "shorter" from balljoint to strut. They bolt to Neon, but there is no advantage to using them. In fact, you would have to change from Kelsey Hayes (Neon style) calipers to Teves or ATE if you get the wrong knuckles. I think the earlier ones (pre 86?) have the oddball brakes. In any case, avoid these.

niceguy wrote:
Jerk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:04 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

I haven't looked for shadow/sundances in our yards for a long time but my sister owns a 91 we had to put a used engine in after the old one with about 105k on it completely ate the head gasket then scored the block between a couple of cylinders. I sure don't see a lot of them driving around anymore, or for sale on Craigs list.
Unfortunately right after the very overpriced used engine install all the windows stopped working and so did the heat, then the trans started slipping.
Too bad it was a nice comfy 2 door one, and one of the few I ever heard that didn't have piston slap, the replaced engine does of course.
We might try servicing the trans seeing how maybe it just needs fresh fluid and a band adjustment for low/reverse, the other things are a bit more involved.
So whats special about their brakes, I seem to recall it did stop well enough but never thought it was special.
It may be for sale cheap as she may get a 99 300 from lil sis kinda soon.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:09 pm 
Sponsoring Dealer

Awesome Jimbo, you know I almost just sent you a PM asking about it so I really appreciate the quick reply...

This is a 50% off weekend so I need to take advantage of it while I can. Already got spare axles for MiniMe, two 2nd gen rear sways (three more in the yards so I may just get their bracketry), three "2.0L 16 Valve" Injector covers and there's an '01 PT with my name on it. Just wish it wasn't going to hit 90 tomorrow or 95 on Sunday...

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:17 pm 
Sponsoring Dealer

69Dartman wrote:
So whats special about their brakes, I seem to recall it did stop well enough but never thought it was special.
It may be for sale cheap as she may get a 99 300 from lil sis kinda soon.

The hub bearing is a bolt-in setup which makes servicing them much better or at least I would assume based on the current press-in configuration. The caliper has an intermediary bracket between it and the knuckle which allows for a swap between 10" and 11" brakes. They have the same strut setup as 1st gen strut and wider bearings like a second gen as well as allowing the use of upgraded 26 spline axles...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:29 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Well maybe I should just pull the system outa the shadow and let some yard come get it if she gets the other, better car, thanks. Haven't had to do pads or shoes yet on mine so no clue how easy or hard it is to deal with though the rear setup looks a bit tight and overly done seeing how I have had to replace both wheel cylinders now.
Hate to just give away 1900 bucks worth of 96 2.5 engine though but she OK'd the work without checking with me first and now owns a car that she'll be lucky to get 500 out of.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:49 pm 
Neon Genius

The Shadow has better suspension geometry. The ability to change caliper brackets and use larger rotors opens the door for lots of things. (Brembo or other aftermarket brakes) The bolt in wheel bearing is so nice. And last, you can run larger axles for durability. I am using Caravan CV outer CV joints, they must be double the size of 1st gen.

niceguy wrote:
Jerk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:28 am 
Neon Enthusiast

Is it just me or are the steering arms longer on the shadow knuckles?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:26 am 
Site Supporter

Looks that way. Get shadow 14:1 rack too to compensate?

Event News: Auto-X and Track Events with Motorsports Northeast.
http://motorsportsne.com/

Offset tension rods - $99 + shipping - get 'em before they are all gone.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:41 pm 
New

Can the shadow knuckles directly replace a 1st gen knuckle with no modifcataions? Im looking for a more robust wheel bearing for road racing and heard that P body knuckles were better. Just wondering how interchangebale they are.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:30 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Quote:
Shadow
These have 26 spline hubs
Will require an axle swap on first gen
They directly bolt onto to first gen
1991 and up are the best ones. Older ones may fit (unconfirmed)
They have a bolt-in wheel bearing assembly
Most are 100mm bolt pattern but there are Caravan hubs which are 5x114.3
Brake caliper bracket bolts on
Allows use of larger brakes or stock Neon brakes with proper caliper bracket
Clevis width approximately 0.970"
Caution*** must use larger knuckle specific ball joint pinch bolt***

See the last post here...
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=381582

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:37 pm 
Site Supporter

They bolt right in. But if you do install them your will have alot of toe in. So you need to do an alignment. When i did the swap the car felt more stable at speed, no bump steer. I was very happy.

99 intense blue sedan-built 2.4l,arp fastners,je 8.5:1 and eagle rods,street/strip ported avenger head,garrett T67R,crane 16s, treadstone BFMIC,megasquirt,1000cc inj.,OBX 420a intake mani,built atx trans,custom race udp, 10.53 at 131mph on 21psi boost.

Post subject: Using alternate knuckles
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:56 pm 
New

I was wondering if anyone knew about running P-body knuckles on 1st gen neons. I'm racing in spec neon and according to the rules I can swap P-body knuckles, hubs, and bearings and still be in the class. I was wondering if anyone has done this and could share if they were a drop in or if they needed modifacations. Ive read about L-body having 26 spline drive shafts instead of 23 so I dont think theyre legal. Any help would be appreciated.