It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sunroof Thread 3.0
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 8:52 pm 
Global Moderator

As the second sunroof thread (version 2.0) appears to have disappeared, I'm starting version 3.

Post your questions and concerns here, after reviewing the original Sunroof thread in the Archives. http://www.neons.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40031

For those of you who don't know, I've been fielding Sunroof questions for some time now, and can help step you through diagnosis, testing, and repair.

I'm currently around sporadically, but expect to be back on a every-other-day schedule here in the next month.

Jim
Sunroof Guru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:50 am 
Global Moderator

Maintenance Message

(Keeps the board software from deleting the thread)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:45 pm 
Can you answer this for me, My sunroof will open, but when i close it, it makes funny noises, then when it actually is closing it makes a really bad clicking noise, It used to just make the noise after i opened it up fully but now it does it pretty much all the time, and im too afraid to open it and see if it makes noises while opening fully. Thanks Kyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:47 am 
New

Mine makes a clicking noise no matter what, except when it is closed. If I hit a bump it clicks. I had it ajusted by Chrysler and it still clicks.

any tip on getting it to stop clicking?

Joshua B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 7:23 pm 
Global Moderator

First step, get a set of decent screwdriver-style Torx drivers.

You'll need, if i recall correctly, T-15 and T-20 for the sunroof.

For the loud noise (kerthunk) when it closes, make sure all of the sunroof guide rail torx screws are tight (hand tight, and DON'T CRANK HARD on them, just snug them down.) You can get to all of the screws with the sunroof open, or a little bit closed.

It's important to make sure that the screws which attach the little cast aluminum fixtures about 2/3 of the way back on the track are snug. The cast aluminum fixtures have a little peg, which is what the sunroof actually locks on to when it is closed.

Now, make sure the sunroof is aligned properly. Check the previous sunroof thread (in Archives) for a guide to that. Be *very* careful with the sunroof glass panel mount screws, as they screw into aluminum--too much torque, and they'll strip right out.

There's some more to it, but I believe it is covered in the archived post. What you're trying to do is equalize the strain on either track slider and drive cable, which will prolong the sunroof mechanism life and help it to operate quietly.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 1:44 am 
Global Moderator

Maintenance Post

(Disregard)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:38 am 
how can you tell what is broken on your moonroof? I pulled out my motor and i cant tell if its the problem thats wrong or the chain like things. It made that clicking soudn and then it finally woudl only work on the right side and the left side didnt work. Thanks Kyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:56 pm 
Global Moderator

I can almost gurantee you that the problem you experience is that the connection point between the left side drive cable and the left track slider has broken. That seems to be the common break point for the early design unit.

The way to tell for sure is to remove the glass (6 torx screws) and then remove the "J" shaped covers at the front of each track (2 or 3 torx screws each). The end of the drive cable is a metal piece shaped like a cylindrical dog bone : [----]----------(cable)-----

There's a snap-in-catch on the track slider that accepts the dog-bone end of the cable. The snap in catch often breaks.

The solution is a new left side track (the slider is not available as a seperate part). Regular tightening and alignment will help prevent this from happening in the future.

If you replace the motor with a new unit, the new motors run slower, and so impart less momentum to the sliding glass and have less inertia. It reduces the strain on the system as a whole. The drive motor mount, drive tube locators, and tracks have been also revised slightly to help.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 5:15 am 
Global Moderator

Maintenance post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:15 am 
Global Moderator

Maintenance post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:31 pm 
New

[/b][/i]I was wondering what to do with my sunroof.....It doesn't even open anymore...it stopped opening about 1 month after I got my neon....It was working fine at first then started being really hard to close to the point I had to pull it with one hand and hold the close button at the same time....it would make a loud noise like the motor was struggling really hard to close it or like it was stuck on something then finally one day it won't even open it just makes that loud noise when I try to open it....I can only vent it at this point :? .
Now I have a warranty through the dealer and they said it wasn't covered bc it is not the motor (they didn't even look at it) :roll: and I went somewhere else and they said to get a used motor and they would fix it.. Now I have been hearing a lot of different things......like that it's the motor...it's not the motor and that a bolt may be loose what is true? I want to know what it could be bc everytime I ask I'm getting different answers......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:44 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

Will 2nd gen sunroof parts fit in a first gen? Mine is currently broken for the 3rd time now. Fixed once under warranty (new motor, cables, rails) and fixed once by me from taking it all apart and cleaning everything good (worked for about 2 weeks). Now it just clicks a couple times and won't open at all. Oh and here's an interesting twist. Friend of mine was just here (has a 97 Saturn) and his sunroof, mounting points, and brakets/rails look identical to mine. Only difference is that all of his rails look to be pop-rivited down instead of screwed down like mine. I'm tempted to go to a junkyard and yank the motor, rails, cables out of a saturn and see if it works.

Jason

Post subject: sunroof stuck
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:18 am 
New

Here goes on my sunroof problem: Mine has been doing the clunk/grind thing for a while. I have avoided running it back all of the way because it would catch and stick (give it a little pull to get it started and it went ok, a little slow). I let someone borrow the R/T today for a trip and within hours I got the phone call...."Does this sunroof work?....it is stuck". Sigh. Apparently it is stuck in the moonroof position now, just barely open. Drivers side track? The dealer I got it from had some of the parts replaced before I bought it but admit they should have replaced one more track. I'll get back to you after we get a chance to look at it ("we" being my boyfriend...hehe). I won't get it back until Thursday. Any idea how much this is going to cost or is it too soon to tell. I think the dealer had a new motor put in but I will contact them to see if they have a record of the parts replaced. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:14 pm 
New

well- got my car back. The sunroof is stuck open a little bit in the back. The dealer is going to check to see what parts they installed but it will be a while (Monday) before they get the info together. It is most of the way shut with the passenger side sticking up a little higher then the drivers side. When I tried to open it the drivers side moves up a little really slow and the passenger side lifts up and stops. Then nothing. When I treid to close it again the drivers side drops down in front and the passenger side drops a little. When I got it both of the button to contol it had been wired together or something. One is supposed to tilt and the other slide back but they did something so that both buttons work the same- the back pops up and then it slides back. Any suggestions would be great. It started sprinkling for the first time in a long time last night. I am hoping it doesn't start raining until we get this figured out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:38 pm 
Global Moderator

luvmyr/t wrote:
well- got my car back. The sunroof is stuck open a little bit in the back. The dealer is going to check to see what parts they installed but it will be a while (Monday) before they get the info together. It is most of the way shut with the passenger side sticking up a little higher then the drivers side. When I tried to open it the drivers side moves up a little really slow and the passenger side lifts up and stops. Then nothing. When I treid to close it again the drivers side drops down in front and the passenger side drops a little. When I got it both of the button to contol it had been wired together or something. One is supposed to tilt and the other slide back but they did something so that both buttons work the same- the back pops up and then it slides back. Any suggestions would be great. It started sprinkling for the first time in a long time last night. I am hoping it doesn't start raining until we get this figured out.

If the Vent button doesn't work properly, it sounds like either they butchered the wiring harness, or more likely the motor was installed severely out of alignment. It never reaches the "vent" height stop position.

This is a situation where taking the assembly apart, and comparing it to how it should look (by a good sunroof or FSM diagrams, for instance) will give you the answers you need to fix it.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:06 pm 
New

I guess the Honda/Mazda dealer fixed the sunroof before I bought it so who knows what they did. My friend has a 97 neon w/sunroof so maybe she will let us look at hers sometime. My boyfriend worked on it yesturday. He took out the glass. tried to run back the arms that support the glass- pop- little piece of plastic flies off of the drivers side arm....no biggie...doesn't look too important anyways... :roll: ..hehe. Drivers side is sliding all the way forward like it should. Passenger side is stopping before it gets all the way forward. He played with the cable that runs it back and forth and screwed it in until both arms were even again....I have no idea if this is making sense to you, it went back down flat. We were just going to leave it shut but ont he way home last night he decided to give it a try. Clunk- passanger side is sticking up again, drivers is down flat and nothing is moving any further. I will try and call the dealer when they are open tomarrow to see what they did to it. Thanks for any advice.

Katie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:34 pm 
Site Supporter

So what would the diagnosis be on a sun roof that will not move much at all? The passenger side moves, and then stops while the drivers side does nothing at all. When you press one of the buttons it does click. What parts would I be looking to get? Drive belt? Drivers track? Any fixes I can do without the need of new parts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:27 pm 
Global Moderator

AJ Quick wrote:
So what would the diagnosis be on a sun roof that will not move much at all? The passenger side moves, and then stops while the drivers side does nothing at all. When you press one of the buttons it does click. What parts would I be looking to get? Drive belt? Drivers track? Any fixes I can do without the need of new parts?

I would almost gurantee that you have a broken drivers side track.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:24 am 
New

ok- I'm back. I haven't had time to deal with the sunroof much and it at least is not leaking (of course it is summer and not pouring buckets yet). It is back down pretty much flat. I just don't use it any more. Not really a solution though. The tracks themselves look ok, at least to me- but that may be because I don't know what ok looks like...hehe. My best guess is they got out of alignment. The glass was sitting fairly crooked when I got it back so maybe they pulled a little too hard trying to shut it. The cable that pulls them closed looks like it is out further on the passenger side track. That track doesn't come quite all of the way forward. We got it in a little further, basically just screwed it in, and it now closes most of the way but the front passenger side corner of the glass sticks up about 1/4" higher then the rest of the glass. You can push it down flat but as soon as you drive it is back up. Any ideas? Still think it might be the motor out of alignment? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:40 am 
Global Moderator

luvmyr/t wrote:
ok- I'm back. I haven't had time to deal with the sunroof much and it at least is not leaking (of course it is summer and not pouring buckets yet). It is back down pretty much flat. I just don't use it any more. Not really a solution though. The tracks themselves look ok, at least to me- but that may be because I don't know what ok looks like...hehe. My best guess is they got out of alignment. The glass was sitting fairly crooked when I got it back so maybe they pulled a little too hard trying to shut it. The cable that pulls them closed looks like it is out further on the passenger side track. That track doesn't come quite all of the way forward. We got it in a little further, basically just screwed it in, and it now closes most of the way but the front passenger side corner of the glass sticks up about 1/4" higher then the rest of the glass. You can push it down flat but as soon as you drive it is back up. Any ideas? Still think it might be the motor out of alignment? Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you can push down the corner of the glass, look at it from the inside while pushing down on it. Look at the glass-to-rail mount screws. Do they move around? If so, you need to align your glass.

The glass panel should be flush with the body (flush is good, +1/32 front -1/32 rear is about perfect).

Don't overtighten those screws--they screw into aluminum, they're small, and you can easily strip the holes.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:48 am 
New

Will take a look. Going to have to wait once again because the boyfriend just left for a few days and if I play with the damn thing myself and can't get it back down I am up the creek! I still think that the passanger rail is not getting pulled quite as far forward as the drivers. Not that it is necessarily getting stuck, but that the cable is pulled out some and just doesn't pull it in all of the way maybe. I can see what you are saying about the little screws though. Just checked and they do not wiggle or move around. The glass seems to be attached quite firmly to the rails with no play. So now what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 11:46 am 
New

my left sunroof track broke.
the cable snapped the little plastic tong and now i cant use my sunroof. i have been lookin for one since Jun2003 no oct of 2003
can you help??
kel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:41 pm 
Global Moderator

You can buy the sunroof track new from Fenton Dodge. It costs me, with shipping, after the enthusiast discount, just under $100.

I don't recall if the list of part numbers died with Sunroof 2.0, but you should be fine just asking for the drivers side sunroof track assembly.

www.neons.org/forumdodge

Jim

Last edited by plymouth_neon_1998 on Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:09 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

I want to put a sunroof in my car over this winter since one did not come wiht my car when i bought it. I know of a guy that is a professional that'll do it for me. Where can i go to buy a kit for it, or what not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:01 pm 
Global Moderator

Look in the yellow pages (for your city or whatever large city is closest to you) for Sunroof shops, or upholstery/trim shops (they often do accessories too).

An aftermarket sunroof is always possible--either manual (pop-up) or electrical.

Jim

Sponsor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:03 pm 
New

ha a little unde 100 dollars?
thats rediculous
kel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:16 pm 
Global Moderator

Why is that ridiculous? You want to buy it from "Joe's Dodge" dealer, they'll first try to tell you it isn't available as a part, and you'll just have to buy the $500 "Sunroof Assembly" complete from them.

If you press them hard enough, they may be willing to sell you the track assembly alone for $170 or so.

I'd say Forum Dodge's price is pretty nice.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:36 pm 
Neon Enthusiast

here is my delima. i have an 01 rt. the sunroof will only open partially, and whan it closes the passenger side rear sits about 1/2 inch to high. i can see when it opens that the tab at the rear of the glass seems to be apast the piece it locks into when the sunroof closes. any ideas on what might have happened or how to fix it. i started to remove the sunroof but decided not to just incase. thanks in advance for any help.
later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:53 am 
Neon Enthusiast

I'm in love with my new "sort of" 98 r/t. There are a few things it needs fixed including the sunroof. It doens't work at all, no sounds, no movements, nothing. Everything else works in the car so I'm not sure if it just might be a fuse? Can someone tell me what are the things that I should check out? thanks a lot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:11 am 
Plymouth_Neon_1998 wrote:
Why is that ridiculous? You want to buy it from "Joe's Dodge" dealer, they'll first try to tell you it isn't available as a part, and you'll just have to buy the $500 "Sunroof Assembly" complete from them.

If you press them hard enough, they may be willing to sell you the track assembly alone for $170 or so.

I'd say Forum Dodge's price is pretty nice.

Jim

I would have been happy with a $500.00 unit. My dealer gave me a written estimate of $2800.00 + to replace "entire sunroof assy". I took it apart and $139.00 from another local dealer, and it's fixed. (it needed the left rail).
BTW according to dodge parts the sunroof is NOT available as an "assembly", but only as individual parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:14 am 
Site Supporter

Any idea on how to remove the Sunroof switch? I pried on it and stuck a screw driver under it but nothings moving. Any particular way to get it off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:44 am 
Global Moderator

Use something like a putty knife. There is a spring steel catch (two of them, actually) under two opposite sides (front and back, I think). Pushing in on the spring "leaf" and simultaneously prying down will dislodtge the housing.

They are fairly stiff springs. It's in there good.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:57 am 
Site Supporter

I have a friend w/ a 98 neon. The problem is if you listen while he tries to open the sunroof it will make a clicking sound but nothing will happen. No movement at all. Just this weird noise. Now is it off track? obviously it has power and the motor works.

Thanks Plymouth_Neon_1998

noxneon wrote:
boost is for people that need to use lag as an excuse for being slow...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:57 am 
New

okay... my friggen sunroof just failed this morning. I don't use it much, but cycle it a few times open and close to lube thing up, today, it cracked opened and as it began to slide back, it cockeyed to the left side. Read the archive and I believe that I lost the left track cable as that side doesn't move back at all.

Now my question... Can I see the track cable without removing the head liner? Is my only option to replace the whole left track? or can I just swedge something to the end of the cable?

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, just happy I got it to close back with minimum effort. I don't use it much, but hate the idea of something on the car not working.

Oh.. I also get the click noise, use to be only when fully closed, but now I get it in both directions.

Thanks for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:49 pm 
New

anyone have the part number for the revised part to fix the clicking when closing the sunroof?

thanks

http://www.streetscene.ca
The artist formerly known as WeinerXXX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:11 pm 
New

dug deeper and found it..

anyone looking for it its part 5016539AA from tsb 23-49-99

thanks

http://www.streetscene.ca
The artist formerly known as WeinerXXX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:56 pm 
New

Hey Jim-

I just took apart my sunroof, took a few pictures, cried a bit, mowed some lawn, and cried a bit more. Looks like both left and right rails would have to be replaced for my glass to open up again. :(

Anyhow, if you ever want to use my little collection of pics as a reference to questions, these pictures are on my school server, so it costs me nothing. Feel free to link, link, link, whatever... :lol:

My Sunroof Pics: :twisted:
http://studentweb.uwstout.edu/lennonm/sunroof/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:38 am 
New

Well, my sunroof started acting up yesterday. It will open fine and close fine, but once it gets all the way closed, it doesn't stop like it is supposed to. It starts making a nasty clunking noise as if its still trying to close, even when the glass has fully seated. Any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks,

-justin