My 95 highline coupe is gone

The 1st Gen Board is for general questions regarding the first generation of Neons (1995 - 1999.) Rumors, hints, tips-and-tricks, and all general maintenance and repair questions belong in this forum, as well as beginning modification queries.
69Dartman
Neon Enthusiast

My 95 highline coupe is gone

Post by 69Dartman » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:55 pm

Well I've had that car since 2005 and 150k when my lil sister sold it to me and have hit here off and on over the years to find answers and share my experiences. In late August it finally ate the timing belt I put on it at 155k and was free wheeling after that. Car had bad paint and the recently replaced drivers door so was in kinda rough shape so I decided to cut my losses and not try to replace the belt and probably have to rebuild the head or replace it.
I should have replaced the tensioner while I was in it but at the time I was pretty broke and it was spinning smoothly without any noises. It had almost 190k on it and still wasn't using much oil or smoking but I guess all good things come to a end :sad: , I'll miss that little turd, I enjoyed driving it.
I have a almost perfect set of Depot projector headlights and a few leftover parts like a non dented standard deck lid, and mirrors and things.
I ended up with lil sisters next car she bought new, a 06 hemi Charger RT with 89k on it for a family price.
Horrendous gas mileage but very quick for such a heavy pig and a blast to drive. :grin:
It's been a fun ride, thanks guys. :good:

anthony underwood
Neon Enthusiast

Re: My 95 highline coupe is gone

Post by anthony underwood » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:31 pm

190,000, that car was just starting to live. Do you have a list of parts that you kept?

69Dartman
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 69Dartman » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:20 pm

Depot projector headlights
Trunk lid
One new passenger side electric remote mirror
manual remote drivers side mirror
driver and passenger side bump strips
Possibly two mounted studless snow tires, provided they turn up.
radiator with a cracked top tank, maybe could repaired, I replaced it.
The upper drivers side door hindge mount was pulled out a inch from the body when the door got over sprung and destroyed so I couldn't align it up right but it worked so between that and everything else it wasn't worth tearing down in my driveway to me anymore.

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:00 am

69Dartman wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:20 pm The upper drivers side door hindge mount was pulled out a inch from the body when the door got over sprung and destroyed so I couldn't align it up right but it worked so between that and everything else it wasn't worth tearing down in my driveway to me anymore.
I remember that thread, I think. Wasn't that the crazy neighbor issue?

I would be interested in the trunk lid, but shipping would be far more than it's worth.
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

69Dartman
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 69Dartman » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:20 pm

Yep, crazy neighbor attacked me and bounced me off the door destroying it and the mounting point on the upper one. I was seriously considering a PT cruiser turbo but sister offered me the Charger for a steal and it solved my immediate transportation problem. I used some of the money we both banked from the 600 unemployment bonuses we got so had plenty of money to cover buying it.
I think the headlights are worth more than my Neon was in the condition it was in so glad I saved them but should have saved the tires as well as they only had about 5k on them but it owed me nothing at this point and I didn't want a dead car sitting around while I decided what to do with it once I had it replaced.
The trunk lid probably would cost more to properly box up and ship than it's worth so I'll probably put it on the the local Facebook group for them here, and the headlights and other trinkets.
I still look at Craig's List for early Neons and PT's and I know I can't ever replace the headlights if I sell them but will I ever get another one at this point...Might be better to get a few bucks and let somebody that really could use them have them and clear some space.

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:29 pm

Time to move on.......... :yes:

20-25 year old cars being used for a DD don't make much sense unless it's running and still in excellent mechanical condition..... :nea:

Now having them as a "toy" is a whole other story. If they break, they can sit until money/parts can be found. A lot of people don't have the money/space for "toys".

A low mileage Focus ST can be bought for under $20,000 if you are looking for DD and toy. They are very similar to an old neon in size/handling/performance/price.
My True Story:
My older sister/husband sent me a selfie of them taking a test ride in a newer Corvette. They posted, "Going for a joy ride in our "dream car"
I immediately posted back......" Why dream small, I can put you in the driver's seat of a neon for a fraction of the price".......

U-Pulls are like a box of Chocolates.......you never know what you're going to find...... ;)

Oldest GUY on the .ORG with an ACR, a NYG, AND a R/T

69Dartman
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 69Dartman » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:11 pm

Well I only paid 3k for the Charger so that settled whether I'd upgrade to something newer and in way better shape. I was lucky to find a decent door at the local u pullit because they are old enough good parts are getting hard to get. If it was in better shape I might have taken the time and money to fix it again but probably the head was shot and if I paid a shop it would be more than it's worth. I don't have the budget for a 20k anything but 3 was doable for a decent quick car.
It was suggested I should sell the Charger and get something with less doors that is fun to drive but I'm enjoying ripping around in the RT and being able to really move when I want to. I only have about a 10 minute ride to work and maybe we'll replace the 300m with something a bit newer and more efficient as the family truckster, maybe that pt turbo I was thinking about.

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:43 am

69Dartman wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:11 pm I don't have the budget for a 20k anything but 3 was doable for a decent quick car.
Sounds as if you don't have the income for "toys"...most of us don't. Rent/mortgage, food, and other daily necessities eat up most of our pay checks..... :sad:

and besides, cars are expensive toys. Parts break/wear out, insurance, gas, storage, upgrades really add up for something you occasionally use/drive. Here in the northern states we're limited to 5-6 months out of the year at best to drive them.......how do I know, I have 3 of them.....one of them (excellent condition and drive-able) I haven't taken out of storage for 2 years and the other 2 I seldom drive because there always seems to be something more important to do :bash:

Have fun with the R/T because it sounds as if you have a fairly reliable DD and a "toy" which fits into your budget...... :good:
My True Story:
My older sister/husband sent me a selfie of them taking a test ride in a newer Corvette. They posted, "Going for a joy ride in our "dream car"
I immediately posted back......" Why dream small, I can put you in the driver's seat of a neon for a fraction of the price".......

U-Pulls are like a box of Chocolates.......you never know what you're going to find...... ;)

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:33 pm

PA ACR wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:29 pm
20-25 year old cars being used for a DD don't make much sense unless it's running and still in excellent mechanical condition..... :nea:
The way car companies seem to limit production to 5 years max before a major redesign, even 15 years old can get dicey, as JY parts are not as plentiful like the old days. And the manufacturers don't keep parts for 10 years like they used to either. There were neon parts that were no longer available from the dealer well before 10 years.

My Subaru is 10 years and counting, and there are a lot of parts "No longer available". With almost 219,000 miles, any big failure will be the end of it. Unless I can fix it for under $300, it's going to the JY.

They are succeeding in making it difficult to keep a car going beyond 15 years, by limiting the number of hard parts available, that you can only get either used, or from a dealer.

The sad part is the cost of new, and decent used cars is getting further out of reach for more people than ever.

The pricing of used lower mileage cars, steers me towards just spending a bit more for new with a full warranty. Or taking my chances with a higher mileage older used car.

Part of the reason why when my current employment ends in March, I am going to settle for a lower paying local job. If it keeps the miles off, all the better. A higher pay doesn't matter when the bulk of it is going towards keeping a car going to keep that paycheck.
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:26 am

occasional demons wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:33 pm Part of the reason why when my current employment ends in March, I am going to settle for a lower paying local job. If it keeps the miles off, all the better. A higher pay doesn't matter when the bulk of it is going towards keeping a car going to keep that paycheck.
It's amazing how much time many people spend commuting to work. I was offered a substitute teaching position back in the spring of 1975 in Meyersdale, PA which is only a few miles from the Maryland border. The drive was on some terrible back roads and were sometimes impassable during snowy winter days (huge drifts). I took the job because it got my foot in the teaching profession and I desperately needed a paycheck. It took about 50 minutes of driving one way. They offered me a permanent job for the 1975-76. At that time, if you accepted an elementary teaching job, you were almost locked into that school for the rest of your life because there were so many unemployed teachers with no seniority which they could hire at a starting salary. I told them to hold the job for me (I didn't want to drive that far and I didn't want to move to Meyersdale either) and I applied at 3 or 4 other local school districts which were only about a 15 minute drive. I really lucked out and the school district which I lived in hired me and I could walk to work (5 minutes)......... :dance:

I just figured it out and I would have spent nearly 40 years X 185 teaching days = 7,400 days X 2 hours driving time = 14,800 hours....... :bash:

vs 10 minutes each day walking....... :good:

I can only imagine how much money I saved on car expenses/gas........ :shock:
My True Story:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:18 am

Exactly.

Before we bought a house, my commute was 16 miles/30 minutes. (Work was on the opposite side of the city)

Now it is 35 miles/50 minutes. Just going off a 5 day work week, that's about 100,100 miles in the last 5 1/2 years, just for work.

That extra 20 minutes may not seem like much, but some days it does get old.

The only good part is I don't have to drive through the city anymore. It took me 15 minutes to get to town, and another 15 to get across town. That was if you hit enough green lights, and didn't get stuck by a school bus. They don't have a common pick up point, they stop at each house on the city street. And those kids aren't in any hurry to get on the bus.
- Bill

Return to “1st Gen”