Need fuel pump help

The 1st Gen Board is for general questions regarding the first generation of Neons (1995 - 1999.) Rumors, hints, tips-and-tricks, and all general maintenance and repair questions belong in this forum, as well as beginning modification queries.
Dylan3366
Neon Enthusiast

Need fuel pump help

Post by Dylan3366 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:54 pm

I recently bought a walbro 255 fuel pump for my 1996 neon ....I dropped the fuel tank changed it and put the tank back in and when I turn the key I can clearly hear the fuel pump kick on but wasnt getting fuel up to the fuel rail....so I did some research people said it might be the filter on the frame of the car....(so just to try) I bypassed the old filter on the frame and put a clear inline filter in the line to see if I was still getting fuel still nothing.....my question is can the fuel pressure regulator go bad while changing the pump?.....granted i only changed the pump itself with filters just as the walbro 255 comes....I made sure I hooked it up right all wires and everything but I checked and I'm not getting fuel out of the fuel pressure regulator ontop of the fuel pump module could the fuel pressure regulator be my problem? Or is it just my luck with this car?.....and my final question is.....are you supposed to be able to (just by using your mouth) blow threw the fuel regulator?

alpinegreenneon
Super Moderator

Re: Need fuel pump help

Post by alpinegreenneon » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:04 pm

Do you have at least 5 gallons of fuel in the tank? The pump will not prime unless it is immersed in fuel. The fuel regulator is also the fuel filter (It's a combined in one part, regulator and filter).
Case

98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
98 Sport Coupe DOHC Amethyst ATX to MTX swap
95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
03 Dakota QC 4.7 4x4 ATX Patriot Blue stock (Sold)
16 Dart SE 2.0L Laser Blue Pearl stock
16 Dart SXT 2.0L TorRed stock
18 Ram 1500 standard cab 3.6L Delmonico Red stock

Dylan3366
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Dylan3366 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:20 pm

I put atleast 5 gallon in the tank after I changed the pump the gauge says it's got just above quarter tank....and yes I kno its combined....when I changed the pump I took the regulator out to remove the old gas in it and put it back in after.....I put the tank in the car now no pressure I removed the line on the actual regulator/filter tried to prime and still not getting gas out of the regulator....I guess tomorrow I'm gonna try to pull the tank again and test the pump in and out of the car.....but is it supposed to be easy to blow threw the regulator?

alpinegreenneon
Super Moderator

Post by alpinegreenneon » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:44 pm

The regulator is spring loaded. Are all the o-rings in place on the filter/regulator?
Case

98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
98 Sport Coupe DOHC Amethyst ATX to MTX swap
95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
03 Dakota QC 4.7 4x4 ATX Patriot Blue stock (Sold)
16 Dart SE 2.0L Laser Blue Pearl stock
16 Dart SXT 2.0L TorRed stock
18 Ram 1500 standard cab 3.6L Delmonico Red stock

Dylan3366
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Dylan3366 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:17 am

All the o rings were there when I reinstalled.....I'll kno more after I drop the tank again....I'm just hoping its something simple

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:42 am

Take that inline filter out before you actually get it to work, unless it is rated for at least 60 psi. Otherwise it may burst.

Any filters with glass (if it is clear, and not opaque plastic) in them are not a good idea on a high pressure system. Which is why I doubt the integrity of the filter, as I don't know of anyone that would sell that style for a fuel system with higher pressure than ~13 psi. That's why all of the higher pressure units have steel cases.

Hopefully it is just the wires being the wrong polarity.

The can on the frame rail is just an empty can, to absorb the water hammer effect of the injectors shutting off. I doubt it even does a good job at that, unless it can efficiently trap air in there.
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

Dylan3366
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Dylan3366 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:53 pm

Yeah I'll most definitely take the plastic filter out.....it was mainly to see if I was getting fuel out that far.....which i wasnt.....but i dropped the tank again looked over everything again and felt like a complete dumbass when i realized i the wires were backwards....after I looked it over 100 times and made sure to even take a pic to make sure I still hooked it up backwards....luckily it didnt hurt nothing....but hooked everything back up and it fired right up

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:01 pm

It's better than forgetting to torque the cam bolt(s) when doing a timing belt . :lol:

Glad you got it sorted out! :good:
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

Dylan3366
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Dylan3366 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:32 am

Hahaha yeah i have a bad habit of over tightening things so I religiously torque to spec with just about every bolt lol....I've definitely learned a few things working one this car over the 3 years I've had it and I wouldn't trade it for the world! (No matter how much it makes me mad sometimes lol).....but thank you everyone for the help I'm grateful for it....there's just to many people out there putting down us new guys that just want to learn the tricks of the trade from the vets lol....again thank you all for the help

Snapdragon
Server Administrator

Post by Snapdragon » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:01 am

Dylan3366 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:53 pmthe wires were backwards
I've done it too. :mad: :wink:
[09:24] Snapdragon: Jesus christ
[09:24] Matt W: no, my name is matt. thanks for the upgrade tho

I finally own a 4 banger turbo, but it's a Mk7 Golf R :pardon:

Return to “1st Gen”