What happened? snapped rod? spun bearing? need some input ;)

The 1st Gen Board is for general questions regarding the first generation of Neons (1995 - 1999.) Rumors, hints, tips-and-tricks, and all general maintenance and repair questions belong in this forum, as well as beginning modification queries.
7angofragger
Neon Enthusiast

What happened? snapped rod? spun bearing? need some input ;)

Post by 7angofragger » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:01 pm

Okay all, heres what happened... First let me throw my specs down..

1995 Plymouth Neon (Base)
SOHC
Head Ported/Polished
Replaced all valves and springs with new stockers
JE low compression pistons on stock rods (yeah yeah dumb move, i get it :shock: )
Garrett T3/T04E turbo running ~16PSI
Tuned with AEM F/IC (was pulling timing off the motor but not sure how much)
Zeitronix Wideband holding ~13 driving around, 11.4's under WOT and full boost.

Okay... About four months ago is when it happened... drove about 50 miles, parked it at my house... Decided to run back to town... put it in second gear, brought it up to about 3000RPMs, brake boosted to about 14PSI, and let off the brake... Pulled fine up until about ~4800RPM's... Then something broke... Not sure what it was... But its metal lol, and its in the motor... I have left it sitting for about 4 months. Since then i have got a SRT4 :grin: but now i would like to start tinkerin with it... I checked the oil yesterday and its holding oil fine... so no chunks of block missing... the antifreeze looks nice and green... the oil looks pretty dark... at the time i was running royal purple 10W40 with about 3500 to 4000 miles on it... the outside temps were in the 80's, and the motor never got hot.... i cranked it up for just a fraction of a second yesterday and it started, but felt like it had a massive, loud cam in it :rofl: it was idelin at about 10lbs of vaccum... so when i get off work, i think i may pull off the oil pan and see if anythings layin down there... so what could the problem be? i know its a pretty loaded question.... burnt valves, warped rod, rod bearing... no telling... i can change some brakes, do oil changes, and i am pretty sure i could replace a valve cover gasket if i had to... so... whats up...
You Know You Drive An Srt 4 when you cant decide whether or not to call it a 'effin neon' or an 'SRT-4'. Depending on the last time it broke down.

2003 SRT4
1995 Turbo Base

JeffB#2
n00b

Re: What happened? snapped rod? spun bearing? need some input ;)

Post by JeffB#2 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:44 pm

7angofragger wrote: on stock rods (yeah yeah dumb move, i get it :shock: )
:lol:
12.31 @ 111.51 - 235WHP/186WTQ
all-motor 2.4 swap

http://www.boogerbushings.com

'95 Ply ACR sedan NYG
'96 Ply Coupe Lapis-junked
'01 ACR Stone White
'95 Ply Sport Coupe NYG 2.4 SOHC ATX
'95 Ply Sport Coupe NYG 2.0 SOHC MTX
'98 Ram Forest Green
'78 Aspen Super Coupe
'78 Volare station wagon
'03 GT Cruiser
'68 Chevelle SS 396 4-speed
'15 Dart SXT 2.4 no-swap
'16 Plum Crazy Hellcat Charger [email protected]

neonlarry
Neon Enthusiast

Post by neonlarry » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:18 pm

^^ Either that or you destroyed a piston.
83 Mercedes 300 SD 400K+ mi
95 ACR NYG SOHC 365K mi
96 Subaru Legacy Outback 400K mi
66 VW Beetle

crazzydiamond85
Neon Enthusiast

Post by crazzydiamond85 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:57 pm

JeffB#2 wrote:
7angofragger wrote: on stock rods (yeah yeah dumb move, i get it :shock: )
:lol:
x2 :lol:

would have been better off with forged rods, stock pistons and 2 Head gaskets
7angofragger wrote:i can change some brakes, do oil changes, and i am pretty sure i could replace a valve cover gasket if i had to... so... whats up...
whats up is you have no business building a turbo car if your not sure you can handle a VC gasket. but since your in it now, pull the oil pan and see whats up. if you sold me the car tomorrow i would be thinking early 2.4 w/srt rods/pistons, and sell the pistons you have if they arent shot. i think the stratus block and new srt rods/pistons would be cheaper than eagle 2.0 rods, and used srt rods/pistons are very cheap
"human beings...are semi-civilized beasts, with baseball caps and automatic weapons." - George Carlin

Return to “1st Gen”