Brake Prop Valve Leaking Working on custom Setup

The 1st Gen Board is for general questions regarding the first generation of Neons (1995 - 1999.) Rumors, hints, tips-and-tricks, and all general maintenance and repair questions belong in this forum, as well as beginning modification queries.
OCNeonJohn
Neon Enthusiast

Brake Prop Valve Leaking Working on custom Setup

Post by OCNeonJohn » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:15 am

since finding adapters for m16x1 to 3/16-24 and M18x1 to 7/16 are impossible to find

I'm planning on dis-assembling the prop valves and trying to rebuild them, but having my back up plan in place which will consist of a couple wilwood bias adjusters 260-8419 and a couple adapters so then I would just need to get a couple lines with 3/16-24 fittings on each side

{Details of the Plan}
An adapter to get from 7/16-24 (brake line) into 1/8-27 MNPT (wilwood thread size)and one for 7/16-24 to 3/8-24 (to reduce the size from the stock prop valve to make it easier to find the right brake line)

So basically has anyone got any better ideas parts wise?

If I can't get the right size o-rings to rebuild the stock prop valve, I'm just going to gut it and seal the weep holes

Any input is welcome
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
- Thomas Jefferson
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty - Thomas Jefferson
A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own goverment.
George Washington
<'(((><

NickKo
Global Moderator

Re: Brake Prop Valve Leaking Working on custom Setup

Post by NickKo » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:47 am

Questions:
Is this new set up, going to replace the existing factory proportioning valves ??
And Where will you be mounting it ??

I had something similar to the Wildwood 260-8419 mounted on my old '71 Ply. Valiant, but I used only one (to help control premature lockup on the rear brakes.)

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 52mm TB; Maddog STS
-1999 4-dr DOHC ATX= went to car heaven (junkyard)
-2000 Ply.LX with MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; R/T muffler + Header
-2001 Ddg.ES ATX = UDP, Magnum Header; + Syked PCM 'pending'

-1971 Ply.Scamp SL6cyl. ('Horse Traded' away)
-1968 Chry.300 w/440 V8 (sold)
"MoPar or No Car"

OCNeonJohn
Neon Enthusiast

Post by OCNeonJohn » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:04 am

This is to replace the factory valves, the secondary proportioning valve is now unavailable.

The proportioning valves are different sizes thread wise so even though you are using them on the rears the engineers felt the need to have different threads

I'm going to mount them on the Firewall
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
- Thomas Jefferson
A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own goverment.
George Washington
<'(((><

OCNeonJohn
Neon Enthusiast

Post by OCNeonJohn » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:49 pm

Does anyone know where to get SS Braided lines with 3/8-24 male ends? All I can find are female and I don't want to pay for 4 AN adapters and also want as little connections as possible

I can get these lines in various forms of metal at the auto parts store and I may have to end up going with hard lines from the Master cylinder to the Prop valves on the firewall
- Thomas Jefferson
George Washington
<'(((><

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:58 am

I think I would avoid as much flexible hose as possible. While braided aren't as bad as non braided, there is still some expansion, which takes up some amount of pedal travel, and response time.

While I have never looked for male ends on braided lines, I don't recall seeing any either.
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

OCNeonJohn
Neon Enthusiast

Post by OCNeonJohn » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:35 am

I'm going to use this master cylinder from a stratus to get rid of the stock prop valves
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 51&jsn=451
Then an adapter to get it to NPT (I found them on ebay and amazon) and then use these SS Braided Lines
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear- ... 4LEALw_wcB
Into the wilwood adjustable prop valves
https://www.wilwood.com/mastercylinders ... o=260-8419
and an adapter for the 7/16 line to 3/8 which is the size for the wilwood valves

I could save money and use hard lines from the parts store, but the SS lines will be a better install, and I'm not too worried about a little flex to the rears, albeit probably not much, I have the Russell SS brakes lines and they are awesome
- Thomas Jefferson
George Washington
<'(((><

OCNeonJohn
Neon Enthusiast

Post by OCNeonJohn » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:16 pm

Update on what I actually used

MC from a stratus
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 51&jsn=451

7/16-24 Male 3/8-24 Female Inverted Flare Brake Line Adapter

Russell brake adapters Male -3 AN to Male 3/8 x 24 Thread
I got 2 pairs for each end of the braided brake lines to go into the Master Cylinder and to go into the proportioning valves

Earls speeds flex brake line (could have been a little shorter, but these were cheaper, lol)

2 of the Wilwood Prop valves

I didn't even cut the lines IIRC I just bent the lines back a ways and mounted the prop valves on the studs that come out of the firewall, it has been working great for 9 months, I will take a picture eventually, just ashamed my car is so dirty
- Thomas Jefferson
George Washington
<'(((><

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:05 am

Thanks for the update!
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

Return to “1st Gen”