Drive Axle, Trans

The 1st Gen Board is for general questions regarding the first generation of Neons (1995 - 1999.) Rumors, hints, tips-and-tricks, and all general maintenance and repair questions belong in this forum, as well as beginning modification queries.
anthony underwood
Neon Enthusiast

Drive Axle, Trans

Post by anthony underwood » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:33 pm

On my 95 there is some play in the case where the drive axles snap in place, when I let out the clutch after changing gears and also if I pat off and on the gas. The axles are almost new and they are Autozone Kung Fu axles and the car has 500,000 miles on it. I was wondering if anybody else with high miles has noticed this? Is it cheap axle splines, or wore out internals in the trans/diff. Also, I put it up on a rack and when I jerk the wheel fore and aft you can hear it inside the case.

Cragger
Neon Enthusiast

Re: Drive Axle, Trans

Post by Cragger » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:47 pm

There will be some play on drive axles as they are only held in with a C clip and after 500,000 miles I'd expect some wear on the splines as well. As long as it isn't excessive play I wouldn't be concerned.
Many are called, but few are chosen and many who are first, shall be fourth and many who are third will actually kick down into second. - James May

Professor_Brap
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Professor_Brap » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:59 pm

My 300k car has a little play, dont worry about it to much.
2001 R/T -Tabbie
1993 Build date Iris Sedan- Tamaryn
1996 Strawberry Sedan- RTVberry
1998 Neon R/T Coupe 2.4 swapped- aR/Tic
bunch of other FWD 80s-90s Mopars.

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:11 pm

Is the play more in and out, or like the shaft wobbles in the hole?

If it "wobbles", the diff may have some wear on it. The side gears are pretty much all that keeps the shafts centered.

The ATX in our '96 was pretty loose in that aspect. There was quite a bit of movement there, but it never seemed to impact much. I also had the same issue with the MTX that was originally in my '99. I was making a trip to MI one day, and about halfway there, it began making a sound like a CV joint was clacking pretty bad. I turned it around and limped it back home. I put a reman AutoZone shaft in, and it didn't change. A JY MTX cured it.
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

anthony underwood
Neon Enthusiast

Post by anthony underwood » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:59 pm

It makes the sound when I rotated the tire fore and aft. I was wondering if anybody has had this problem with auto zone axles, or it's just wore internal parts.

Cragger
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Cragger » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:36 pm

Is it a repeating sound when you keep rotating or just when you change direction?
Many are called, but few are chosen and many who are first, shall be fourth and many who are third will actually kick down into second. - James May

anthony underwood
Neon Enthusiast

Post by anthony underwood » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:25 pm

It's not direction, I know what bad cv joints sound like when you turn, this is a clunking as you let the clutch out between gears, or take your foot on, or off the gas.

Cragger
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Cragger » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:10 am

In what shape are your motor mounts? You will have one front, one passenger, one on the transmission, and one referred to as the 'bobble strut' on the back of a MTX transaxle.

anthony underwood
Neon Enthusiast

Post by anthony underwood » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:40 am

The bobble strut is early new and a Mopar part, the front mount is filled with RTV, the other mounts although maybe a little saggy are not broken.

Cragger
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Cragger » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:28 am

Saggy mounts will let the engine shift a lot more then it should. Which can cause noises if it is excessive. With nothing in front of the vehicle hold the brake with your right heel and add throttle with your right toes then feed in the clutch with your left foot and watch how much the engine shifts and if the sound happens as the same time it does.

anthony underwood
Neon Enthusiast

Post by anthony underwood » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:19 pm

I guess I'll try one thing at a time. First is mounts, then axles, then if it still does it, maybe I'll just leave it alone.

Cragger
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Cragger » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:22 pm

If the mounts are worn out you'll notice the shifting the most when in reverse gear I should add. It makes the metal sleeve in the mounts move up against the stops instead of just resting where they will normally sit.

russb wa
Neon Enthusiast

Post by russb wa » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:44 pm

On my 48 Ford 8N tractor the axles spline inti the cast iron hubs. IIRC the back yard fix was to slide thin strips of aluminum along side each spline.

Some replaced the hub (s), but that didn't. help much if the axles splines were too far gone.

This an interesting topic. I am curious if there is any cheap fix, like JB weld or other joe six pack solutions. One thing for sure, the worse it is the faster it gets even worse.

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:31 am

If it is the inner splines, the only reasonable cure would be to rebuild the differential (side gears, etc), and use new/unworn axles. I don't think anything "backyard mechanic" would hold the stresses. Or put in an OBX or Quaife.

Remember, whatever engine torque is made at the flywheel, is multiplied greatly, depending on what gear the transmission is in, and/or how much converter stall there is.

Keep in mind, dyno numbers at the wheels are not measured in the lower gears.
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

NickKo
Global Moderator

Post by NickKo » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:50 pm

These are replacement axles, right ?? Are these 'rebuilt' axles ??
Did the 'noise' develop right after the axles were replaced ??

My guess is that it may have something to do with loose fitment.
I have read that 'rebuilders' will 'mix and match' axle components from different axle manufacturers and vehicles; and the 'rebuilt' axles won't be exactly the same, as the originals that came out of your car.
The 'rebuilt' axles may have been recycled from a donor (junkyard) vehicle, with more wear in the splines, than your original did.
The splines may have gotten worn, due to corrosion / rust (if it was from a rust belt vehicle); dust / sand; or other reasons.

I don't know if there is an easy 'backyard' fix for this.
I don't think that this is harmful, unless it gets to be really excessive.

As a Side Note:
Once Upon A Time, I tried removing some of the 'slop' from' the bobble strut on my '98 MTX, by hose-clamping a piece of rubber hose (3/th ID) to the bottom of the bobble strut shaft. This gave it the effect of acting like a 'semi-solid' bobble strut.
After I did this 'mod', I noticed that the 'THUNK' factor was MUCH more noticeable, when letting out the clutch; or when stepping on (and off) the accelerator pedal.
I then cut down the piece of 3/8ths hose that I had, to allow the bobble strut, more movement. That, fixed the issue, and the 'Thunk' problem went back to 'normal' (at least for a 1st gen).
Something else to think about.

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 52mm TB; Maddog STS
-1999 4-dr DOHC ATX= went to car heaven (junkyard)
-2000 Ply.LX with MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; R/T muffler + Header
-2001 Ddg.ES ATX = UDP, Magnum Header; + Syked PCM 'pending'

-1971 Ply.Scamp SL6cyl. ('Horse Traded' away)
-1968 Chry.300 w/440 V8 (sold)
"MoPar or No Car"

anthony underwood
Neon Enthusiast

Post by anthony underwood » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:56 am

They were new axles when I put them in. It has nothing to do with the bobble strut. I think I'll try new mounts first.

russb wa
Neon Enthusiast

Post by russb wa » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:47 pm

occasional demons wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:31 am If it is the inner splines, the only reasonable cure would be to rebuild the differential (side gears, etc), and use new/unworn axles. I don't think anything "backyard mechanic" would hold the stresses. Or put in an OBX. ...//...
I agree completely. This is a "one size fits all" world. It would be possible for a manufacturer to make a couple of oversizes in splines ... too many head aches I guess.

Return to “1st Gen”