Release Lever on SRT-4 seat

The SRT-4 Board is for general questions regarding the factory turbocharged Neon, the SRT-4. Rumors, hints, tips-and-tricks, and all general maintenance and repair questions belong in this forum, as well as beginning modification queries.
PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Release Lever on SRT-4 seat

Post by PA ACR » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:47 pm

I never thought I'd be asking a question in this section, but here it goes.....

I recently pulled a set of SRT-4 seats from a U-Pull. While I was cleaning them, I couldn't get the back of the passenger seat to recline. The cloth seat cover along the side of the seat was removed by somebody. I noticed there was a cable attached to the lever and the cable was kinked. I did some more searching and saw another cable running through the bottom frame of the seat and attached to a hook on the other side of the seat. When I pulled up on the lever nothing happened. I was able to manually move the hook and the back of the seat released. I'm guessing the cable is broken somewhere. The cable winds under/through the seat frame, so it's really difficult to see anything.

My question is.....would any cable/release mechanisms from a 2nd GN bucket seat work? :dunno:
My True Story:
My older sister/husband sent me a selfie of them taking a test ride in a newer Corvette. They posted, "Going for a joy ride in our "dream car"
I immediately posted back......" Why dream small, I can put you in the driver's seat of a neon for a fraction of the price".......

U-Pulls are like a box of Chocolates.......you never know what you're going to find...... ;)

Oldest GUY on the .ORG with an ACR, a NYG, AND a R/T

Midnight Rider
Neon Enthusiast

Re: Release Lever on SRT-4 seat

Post by Midnight Rider » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:01 pm

I'm guessing that any 2gn cable mechanism will work but Bill will have the definitive answer.
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4, Stage 2 with Toys- original owner!

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:56 pm

I have no idea. I have only removed the seats from my '01, and AFAIK, they are still in the rafters of my parents garage. Hopefully not infested by mice.

I never took them apart, but I assume they are more like 1gn sedan seat mechanisms than the SRT seats. :sad:

About all I did was remove the seatbelt latches to use on the Concorde seats, since the Concord latches are different.

I seem to recall the coupe hardware being swapped to 2gn seats installed into 1gn coupes, since the 2gn seats do not fold forward.
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:36 pm

occasional demons wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:56 pm I never took them apart, but I assume they are more like 1gn sedan seat mechanisms than the SRT seats. :sad:

About all I did was remove the seatbelt latches to use on the Concorde seats, since the Concord latches are different.

I seem to recall the coupe hardware being swapped to 2gn seats installed into 1gn coupes, since the 2gn seats do not fold forward.
I really don't care about them folding forward to have better access to the back seat. No one hardly ever gets in it anyhow. But sometimes people in the passenger seat like to adjust it a little for better comfort. It I put the seat into a car now there would be no way for adjustments because the console would be in the way to reach down along the seat to release the mechanism. The problem definitely has something to do with the cable. When I lift the handle there is no movement at all on the hook mechanism. I just don't know if I could grab one from a JY to swap it in. I have a 2nd GN bucket type seat in my black R/T but it's in storage so I can't even look at it to see if they are the same. I think 2nd GN seats have a plastic panel covering the sides of the seat where the SRT-4s have fabric and leather.
My True Story:
My older sister/husband sent me a selfie of them taking a test ride in a newer Corvette. They posted, "Going for a joy ride in our "dream car"
I immediately posted back......" Why dream small, I can put you in the driver's seat of a neon for a fraction of the price".......

U-Pulls are like a box of Chocolates.......you never know what you're going to find...... ;)

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:41 pm

occasional demons wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:56 pm I never took them apart, but I assume they are more like 1gn sedan seat mechanisms than the SRT seats. :sad:
I took apart a 1st GN leather seat to replace the material but I honestly don't remember if there was a cable system in it....don't recall seeing one.....I'll have to look again at my SRT-4 seat because I don't remember if there was a latch/hook mechanism operated by a cable on both sides of the seat or just the inside.... :dunno:
My True Story:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:53 am

standard 2gn seat mechanism.... (?)

PN's for the standard seat:

4797318 Right side $36.79

4797319 Left side $135.27

PN's for the SRT seat:

5093214AA Right side recliner $125.13

5093213AA Left side recliner $115.95

Unfortunately, there is only one illustration for all.

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts-l ... R;M=SRT-4)

Obviously there is a difference, or the PN would be the same. I doubt they are like GM, and give the same part different PN's depending on the model it was installed in, and adjust price accordingly...

The SRT seat PN's also come up as Viper part numbers, so that is pretty telling they probably don't share too much with a standard PL seat.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Mopar- ... SwkDtb-kAF

I don't see anything that has a cable in any pictures I can find though. :scratch:
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:19 am

Ok thanks Bill.....I'll have to take another look at it....maybe pull it apart to see what's broken. I know I won't have any luck finding another trashed one in a JY. That's why I was hoping other 2GN seats were the same design.
My True Story:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:26 am

The picture on eBay looks similar, but there has to be some difference, just whether or not it is a difference that matters is the thing.
- Bill

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:54 am

Yep no sign of a cable release here.....

Genuine Mopar Seat Back Recliner Driver Inboard 5093214AA

My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:55 am

I'll try to get some pics today.....
My True Story:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:28 am

Maybe someone tried to make it work from a different position than the factory set up?
- Bill

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:04 am

OK here it is...........

You can see the black cover which shields the cable. It is kinked but the cable doesn't look broken..... :dunno:

However, the cable sticks out at the back of the release lever pictured above. When I lift up on the lever it goes back to that little ball, but the cable doesn't move......that would be just enough cable movement to release the hook mechanism on the opposite side of the seat.

The cable runs above one of the seat supports to the opposite side of the seat.....

It attaches to release mechanism and there is no way to adjust it if there is slack in the cable....

My True Story:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:22 am

Wow, that is interesting... I am pretty sure there is nothing like that on a normal 2gn seat.

But I wonder if the covers are removed enough to get a look at things, if the 2gn hardware would bolt to the SRT/Viper seat frame and do the same thing, with the simpler 2gn/1gn(?) pieces.

The underside looks very similar to the normal neon seat.
- Bill

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:22 am

I'm thinking that part of the cable where the black shield is kinked has something to do with allowing the cable to move freely inside.... :dunno:
My True Story:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:36 am

viewtopic.php?f=124&t=275604&p=2246972

Scroll about halfway down for mechanism pics.
- Bill

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:38 am

PA ACR wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:22 am I'm thinking that part of the cable where the black shield is kinked has something to do with allowing the cable to move freely inside.... :dunno:
Very likely.

I wonder if bicycle brake cables can be adapted as a replacement? :scratch:
- Bill

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:31 am

I did some searching and found a complete factory manual for the SRT-4/03-05 neons posted on some foreign website...I was a little reluctant to open it...but did anyhow. My computers still working...... :good:

I couldn't locate the table of contents, so I began paging through it. Later discovered there were 600+ pages. If I remember correctly, I finally found the seats on pages 380-400........... :bash:

No mention of the cable release in the exploded pictures...... :mad:

Back to square one of tearing the bottom of the seat apart..... :sad:
My True Story:

srt4eh
Site Supporter

Post by srt4eh » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:30 pm

It looks like that cable is done for. I might have a spare cable here leftover from some beat up seats I disassembled.
2002 Dodge Neon 2.6L SOHC Stroker
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
2019 Dodge Durango GT
[url]http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=354472[/url]

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:10 pm

srt4eh wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:30 pm It looks like that cable is done for. I might have a spare cable here leftover from some beat up seats I disassembled.
PM'd you
My True Story:

Return to “SRT-4”