Ed Peters

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Ed Peters

Post by PA ACR » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:45 pm

I don't know if anybody heard but I just received this news in my messages..... :cry:

With a heavy heart I announce the passing of my best friend. Ed Peters died this morning of a heart attack. Ed is survived by his wife Mary Anne and son Scott. Ed was a hell of a race car driver. We met at the race track and became friends in short measure. He was an Engineer at Chrysler and ran production in Mexico during the early 90's. We were destined to be friends. In my teens, my favorite race series was Can-Am and the most famous car of that series were the Chaparrals. Ed fabricated the ground effects panels on the Chaparrals. Those cars were the first in the world to use ground effects. God speed my friend.
My True Story:
My older sister/husband sent me a selfie of them taking a test ride in a newer Corvette. They posted, "Going for a joy ride in our "dream car"
I immediately posted back......" Why dream small, I can put you in the driver's seat of a neon for a fraction of the price".......

U-Pulls are like a box of Chocolates.......you never know what you're going to find...... ;)

Oldest GUY on the .ORG with an ACR, a NYG, AND a R/T

Primus
Neon Enthusiast

Re: Sad News....

Post by Primus » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:54 pm

:cry: :sorry:
2003 Dodge Neon SE- RIP 4/11/17
2003 Dodge Dakota quad cab 4.7- 155,000 miles and counting :grin:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:59 pm

Here's several pics I took of Ed at the N2K06 in Texas....some old timers. Cory Haines, Matt Wiggins, Matt Laverty , Chuck Gregory, Mike Radowski, Doug and Erik VanDyke, Jimbo, Robert, Ben ..........He always called me Tommy like I was his little son even though I am just about as old as he is........ :blush: :cry:

I first met Ed shortly after purchasing my 1998 ACR at the Howell's Automotive Open House in Keyer, WVA. I was fortunate to get to know him better at N2K06 and then again at N2K12 in Denver, CO.

I'll never forget sleeping the first night in my car in the scorching Texas heat. When everyone heard about it, Ben and Robert made me sleep in their room on the couch...... :lol:

Rest in peace Ed........ :good:

My True Story:
My older sister/husband sent me a selfie of them taking a test ride in a newer Corvette. They posted, "Going for a joy ride in our "dream car"
I immediately posted back......" Why dream small, I can put you in the driver's seat of a neon for a fraction of the price".......

U-Pulls are like a box of Chocolates.......you never know what you're going to find...... ;)

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:47 pm

Even though I never met him, reading your post still gave me a bit of a shock, having heard so much about him.

R.I.P, as in Ripping around the track up there....
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:50 pm

At N2K12 in Denver........

Ed and his wife Mary Anne, Case Mazik, (chipdogg) aka Jake Kinnett,

My True Story:

Roger Ward
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Roger Ward » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:12 pm

Wow. A definite loss to the community, and to you as a friend. My condolences to you and his family.

Thank you for sharing.
Red 2002 R/T, named the "Speedy Little Devil" by my oldest daughter, who now drives it more than I do.

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy,
I'm not surprised that you agree

“Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl”

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:20 pm

He was definitely a treasure chest of "NEON" knowledge.....

My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:56 pm

Here's one more I found from his presentation at Howell's Automotive Open House way back in 2004.......WOW where has the time gone....so many fantastic memories..........he sure didn't have too many good things to say about Fram oil filters. From his drawing, if my memory doesn't fail me :scratch: , he was talking about oil viscosity...... :dunno:

My True Story:

Swankie40
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Swankie40 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:22 pm

R.I.P :cry: I never met him, but I remember you sharing lots of stories about him.
"There are no bad neons, just bad owners."

Main neons:
1995 Nitro-Yellow Green Sport Coupe
1996 Brilliant Blue ACR
1996 Black ACR
1997 Black Coupe
1999 Red Sport
1999 Deep Aymythyst ( Yellow Race Car )
Plus 16 more

ben
Neon Enthusiast

Post by ben » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:41 pm

Terrible news, he was a great guy. It made me smile to see him and Jacob. At n2k6 we were all introducing ourselves by screen name and Ed stops us and asks, “where is Chipdogg, which one of you is Chipdogg?” He definitely left a lasting impression on me.
Snapdragon wrote:102 are foes... and probably mostly on Ben's list.
<Insert rad one-liner>

lilviper
Neon Enthusiast

Post by lilviper » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:30 am

Well dammit. Someone needs transmission parts and ed kicks the bucket.

Thats very sad news.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

(\___/)
( ='.'= )
(")__(") This is Bunny.
Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

alpinegreenneon
Super Moderator

Post by alpinegreenneon » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:35 am

Wish he didn't get strange after the Colorado meet. He used to call me almost every week and wow did he have a lot to say.
Eternal rest!
Case

98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
98 Sport Coupe DOHC Amethyst ATX to MTX swap
95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
03 Dakota QC 4.7 4x4 ATX Patriot Blue stock (Sold)
16 Dart SE 2.0L Laser Blue Pearl stock
16 Dart SXT 2.0L TorRed stock
18 Ram 1500 standard cab 3.6L Delmonico Red stock

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:52 am

alpinegreenneon wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:35 am Wish he didn't get strange after the Colorado meet. He used to call me almost every week and wow did he have a lot to say.
Eternal rest!
Somebody on FB posted that it was just the way Ed was and you had to back off for a while and then he was friends again..... :scratch: Unfortunately, some guys on FB really ripped him with nasty comments. They never met him and didn't know how much valuable information he shared with the community.....not to mention for free.
My True Story:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:11 am

PA ACR wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:52 am
alpinegreenneon wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:35 am Wish he didn't get strange after the Colorado meet. He used to call me almost every week and wow did he have a lot to say.
Eternal rest!
Somebody on FB posted that it was just the way Ed was and you had to back off for a while and then he was friends again..... :scratch:
Obviously he was a pretty smart guy. Most times, lots of intelligence can come with it's little quirks. At least he enjoyed sharing his knowledge. I'm sure lots of it still went with him, but he still shared more than most.
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:19 am

occasional demons wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:11 am
PA ACR wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:52 am
Eternal rest!
Somebody on FB posted that it was just the way Ed was and you had to back off for a while and then he was friends again..... :scratch:
Obviously he was a pretty smart guy. Most times, lots of intelligence can come with it's little quirks. At least he enjoyed sharing his knowledge. I'm sure lots of it still went with him, but he still shared more than most.
If you attended any of his seminars, you'd realize how much info he shared. I think I still have the video from one. Plus from what I've heard, many guys spent hours and hours on the phone picking his brain.
My True Story:

chipdogg
Sponsoring Dealer

Post by chipdogg » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:58 am

Somebody DID have pics of the N2K12 tech talk, thanks Tom!
COME TO MY NEXT NEON MEET April 25, 2015

https://www.facebook.com/events/806870982695217/

PM me for custom wiring harnesses. FIC, MS, wire tucks, 2.4 swaps, circle track cars. Anything!

https://www.facebook.com/KinnetticKreations

chipdogg
Sponsoring Dealer

Post by chipdogg » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:01 am

ben wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:41 pm Terrible news, he was a great guy. It made me smile to see him and Jacob. At n2k6 we were all introducing ourselves by screen name and Ed stops us and asks, “where is Chipdogg, which one of you is Chipdogg?” He definitely left a lasting impression on me.
Haha yeah, he helped guide me from the total n00b I was in 2006 blowing up transmissions and engines left and right to blowing them up less frequently! Can remember the first phone call back in 2007, all the way up to the last one on January 23 this year when he was busting my balls about making more babies, another amusing story about him finding another car, this time the NYG ACR coupe with almost no miles on it that was filthy, and telling me how proud he was of how far I've come over the years again. Glad he called one last time.

PM me for custom wiring harnesses. FIC, MS, wire tucks, 2.4 swaps, circle track cars. Anything!

chipdogg
Sponsoring Dealer

Post by chipdogg » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:03 am

Eternal rest!
I'd say at least 3 times since then I'd get "Who is this? Chipdogg? I ain't peanut with you no more, don't call me again." CLICK

And then 3-4 months later he'd call me up and be like "Hey chipper. What's new? What you peanut with lately? Talk to anybody lately? How's your dad? Your grandpa? How's the weather" I 100% believe he had some dementia going on the last few years or something.

mluckey
Site Supporter

Post by mluckey » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:12 am

chipdogg wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:03 am
Eternal rest!
I'd say at least 3 times since then I'd get "Who is this? Chipdogg? I ain't peanut with you no more, don't call me again." CLICK

And then 3-4 months later he'd call me up and be like "Hey chipper. What's new? What you peanut with lately? Talk to anybody lately? How's your dad? Your grandpa? How's the weather" I 100% believe he had some dementia going on the last few years or something.
Yeah, he was certainly unique that way. I had been picking Eds brain for years about this and that, and I remember about 5 years ago when I was prepping for a mile-race event, we talked for the better part of three hours about race-prep. About a week later we disagreed (politely) and he ghosted me for a while. We picked up talking a couple weeks later like nothing happened.

I also remember when his pet goat broke his leg. He wasn't mad at the goat at all. He blamed himself, then we talked about various pets over the years that we'd had. A great guy.

I'm still running one of his custom 350HD tranmissions (6 years now), and it's officially outlived the original unit from the factory. It's handled triple the factory torque rating; 32, mile-racing passes, several club auto-x events and dozens of high-speed runs across Texas.

Ed will surely be missed...

Mark
'95' ACR Coupe with SRT-4 swap
18 PSI to redline
So much to break, so little time....

rojna
Neon Enthusiast

Post by rojna » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:50 am

God Speed Ed, it was a pleasure meeting you.
N2k12 Pics

Now : 95 Coupe red - 01 NEON white - 04 SRT-4 black - 04 SRT-4 blue - 01 NEON SE silver - 02 NEON blue
Past : 15 NEON's

My Feedback

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:06 am

chipdogg wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:58 am Somebody DID have pics of the N2K12 tech talk, thanks Tom!
Yea, I have around 70 from the tech talk....maybe I'll post them up on facebook. You are in several of them.... :good:

My True Story:

chipdogg
Sponsoring Dealer

Post by chipdogg » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:16 am

I searched yesterday, didn't see any. If I remember right, Ed banned any pics/video of the talk but leave it to you to not care about rules against pictures. At least you couldn't get arrested over it there! 😂

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:37 pm

chipdogg wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:16 am I searched yesterday, didn't see any. If I remember right, Ed banned any pics/video of the talk but leave it to you to not care about rules against pictures. At least you couldn't get arrested over it there! 😂
sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh..... :wink:
My True Story:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:16 pm

Psssh, don't be shocked if you get a boot in the tookus when you pass though the Pearly Gates!

I probably have a few coming my way. :grin:

Busted!
- Bill

Midnight Rider
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Midnight Rider » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:46 pm

All of these great stories... makes me sorry that I never had the chance to meet him.
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4, Stage 2 with Toys- original owner!

alpinegreenneon
Super Moderator

Post by alpinegreenneon » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:38 am

Big regrets not trying to keep in contact with Ed. When someone hangs up on me, I assume it's permanent. Suddenly he claimed he had no more T350 parts. Add to that he no longer posted here after that. At the time it really bothered me and it took quite a while to get over losing a friend and even worse losing a great resource for the .org.
Case

98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
98 Sport Coupe DOHC Amethyst ATX to MTX swap
95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
03 Dakota QC 4.7 4x4 ATX Patriot Blue stock (Sold)
16 Dart SE 2.0L Laser Blue Pearl stock
16 Dart SXT 2.0L TorRed stock
18 Ram 1500 standard cab 3.6L Delmonico Red stock

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:12 pm

More pics from 2gn.org
MyNeonSaysHi wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:53 pm Very sad indeed! Image
- Bill

Tyler
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Tyler » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:46 am

My condolences, I remember his name from way back. Never had the pleasure to meet him though.
Operation Boulder Shoulders....

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:26 pm

I got to wondering how old Ed was so I googled his obituary and found it.......turns out he was only 7 years older than me and Case.

Edward G Peters Jr. of Fredericksburg, Texas | 1940 - 2020 | Obituary

March 15, 1940 - February 10, 2020

U.S. Veteran

Mr. Edward G. Peters Jr. of Fredericksburg passed away on Monday, February 10th at the age of 79 years.
Edward G. Peters Jr. was born on March 15th, 1940 in St. Louis, Missouri to Edward George and Dorothy Rudd Peters Sr.
He married Mary Ann Perry on December 26th, 1990 in Houston, Texas

Edward G. Peters Jr. is survived by his wife: Mary Ann Perry Peters of Fredericksburg
Three daughters, one son and spouses:

Kim Evetts of Houston
Scott Peters of Kerrville
Heather and David Marino of Washington
Charlene Baker of Houston

Five grandchildren: Zack Baldwin, Jonathan Peters, Hayden Hart, Jax Baker and Olivia Marino

As per his request Mr. Edward G. Peters Jr. will be cremated with a Celebration of Life at a later date
My True Story:

lilviper
Neon Enthusiast

Post by lilviper » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:07 am

LOL I'm 30 years younger than you and case.. lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

(\___/)
( ='.'= )
(")__(") This is Bunny.
Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

NickKo
Global Moderator

Post by NickKo » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:16 pm

chipdogg wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:01 am Haha yeah, he helped guide me from the total n00b I was in 2006 blowing up transmissions and engines left and right to blowing them up less frequently! Can remember the first phone call back in 2007, all the way up to the last one on January 23 this year when he was busting my balls about making more babies, another amusing story about him finding another car, this time the NYG ACR coupe with almost no miles on it that was filthy, and telling me how proud he was of how far I've come over the years again. Glad he called one last time.

Jake, glad to hear that you had an opportunity to talk to him recently, before we lost him.

The last time I saw him was at the Tech Talk in CO. back in 2012.
Unfortunately, that was the last time that I had the opportunity to speak with him, since then.

He Will Be Missed. :sad:

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 52mm TB; Maddog STS
-1999 4-dr DOHC ATX= went to car heaven (junkyard)
-2000 Ply.LX with MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; R/T muffler + Header
-2001 Ddg.ES ATX = UDP, Magnum Header; + Syked PCM 'pending'

-1971 Ply.Scamp SL6cyl. ('Horse Traded' away)
-1968 Chry.300 w/440 V8 (sold)
"MoPar or No Car"

Matt Wiggins
Administrator

Post by Matt Wiggins » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:43 pm

I'll admit that I was sad to see the news, its a loss.

After Denver he wasnt the same with most of that group. I am not sure what we did or did not do to provoke his not wanting to talk to us anymore. I've heard through the grapevine over the years that we didn't do enough for him or support him. Not sure how we could do more than what we did. I know that he didnt like the people who ran the SDAC group, he had a beef with them (we talked about it a few times in the 2-3 hour conversations we'd have prior to Denver 2012.) It seems that for some reason he had a beef with us as well after Denver.

For better or worse he was a good source of info, but thankfully not the only one that we've had to draw on. Lots of his info will live on, Chip, Case, Tom and others did absorb quite a bit.

He was very blatant about where he stood with you or with a group. He had good things going for him and he had bad things. Those of you who had talks with him know what kinda person he was, he didnt pretend.
Mods: Auto TB | Magnacore Wires (Red) | Red Valve Cover | Mopar PCM | Booger Bushings | Oil Pressure Gauge | | Neon Pedals | Embroidered Head Rests | Thermal Exhaust | Rear Strut Tower Bars | Chrome Radiator Brackets | Iceman Intake | Phrogman Short Shifter | 16x6 Snow flake wheels w/Goodyear F1 (205 50/ZR16)|[email protected]

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Thu May 28, 2020 9:44 pm

Is this video for real.....can't translate Spanish.......... :dunno:

My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:46 pm

I know you are not supposed to "bump" a post, but I want to save this thread to a permanent place on the org. Maybe another Adm can help me out.
My True Story:

Snapdragon
Server Administrator

Re: Ed Peters

Post by Snapdragon » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:59 am

This forum doesn't get purged. I've made the topic a sticky to keep it at the top.
[09:24] Snapdragon: Jesus christ
[09:24] Matt W: no, my name is matt. thanks for the upgrade tho

I finally own a 4 banger turbo, but it's a Mk7 Golf R :pardon:

Return to “1st Generation Archives”