Ram 50 Sport 2.4 swap

MOPAR Projects. Got a MOPAR project and want to share? Here is your chance!.. FYI please realize that we will be lenient, but your base build must be around a MOPAR vehicle, engine, chassis etc.. If you dont know, please PM the mod group for approval. Non MOPAR project logs will be deleted.
redneckmoparman
Neon Enthusiast

Ram 50 Sport 2.4 swap

Post by redneckmoparman » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:41 pm

This
Is going to go into this
That is all
Last edited by redneckmoparman on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

"You sound confused, you start with "I have this what can I do?" and then wander off into turbo land."

OhioHomesteader
Site Supporter

Re: Ram 50 Sport 2.4 swap

Post by OhioHomesteader » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:43 pm

Pretty truck.

Did you have to make a bellhousing adapter or was it "close enough"?

Gonna tell us all the details?

Where is the turbo? :grin:

Suscribed.

redneckmoparman
Neon Enthusiast

Post by redneckmoparman » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:37 am

lol no turbo just a stock clean install of a dodge 2.4 into my dodge ram 50 instead of the garbabe 4g64 2.4 from mitsu its worse than an old 2.2 or 2.5 and its a dakota 2.5 transmission that i just picked up today on picknpulls sale! Some more pics since someone commented lol
So what these last few pics are is proof of a discovery i made at the jy. The dakota 2.5(and i would presume all 2.2&2.5 motors) have the SAME EXACT CRANK PATTERN!!!!! the bolt pattern and center bore are an exact match to the 2.0/2.4 motors! Pictured is the 2.5 dakota flywheel i snagged bolted up to my sbec 2.4 out of a 2000 stratus. The smaller flexplate is a neon t350 i have laying around and the bigger one is an srt4s t850 that is an exact match for size and starter ring gear with the dakota. My plan is to use the entire dakota setup with the starter flywheel clutch trans slave and possibly master that is still to be determined with the 50 being a cable clutch i have to modify that to make it all work. The biggest hurdle at this point is the crank difference is shallower where the input shaft meets up with it so the bellhousing doesnt sit flush when you bolt it on. More info to come later so you guys dont get bored with how little progress i make lol. The coupe is being put together so the truck cant get any fab work

"You sound confused, you start with "I have this what can I do?" and then wander off into turbo land."

KennyL
Neon Enthusiast

Post by KennyL » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:56 am

I'm in for this action. Be sure to let us know exactly what all was required to fully mate that trans to the 2.4 Chrysler. Looks like a good trans candidate for someone rear wheel drive swapping. Part of me is still tempted to do some sort of RWD swap in my Stratus.
I'm on neons.org...yet I drive a Stratus~
2000 Strat is in the process of modding.The Purple Beast "phase 2" on Stratusphere.net Getting ready for a complete teardown involving weight reduction, reinforcement and pulling the motor to do a performance-oriented rebuild for supercharging.
2004 Grand Prix GTP supercharged on 3800pro! http://www.3800pro.com/forum/gallery/40 ... x-gtp.html Near-stock DD, tweaks will be minor.

srt4eh
Site Supporter

Post by srt4eh » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:28 pm

Interesting...I'm in for the progress :)
2002 Dodge Neon 2.6L SOHC Stroker
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
2019 Dodge Durango GT
[url]http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=354472[/url]

vivix
Neon Enthusiast

Post by vivix » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:17 pm

this looks like fun :good:
1995 Light Iris Coupe- Magnum SOHC/ 5-speed
2019 Orange Spice Fiesta ST

Beater Status
Site Supporter

Post by Beater Status » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:28 pm

Don't keep us waiting too long, we have short attenti - wait, twat is this thread about?
http://www.beaterstatus.com

FEEDBACK http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 3#p3192373
Anonymous wrote: Imperfections on a neon are fine, so long as it's quick. Slowness only accentuates aesthetic flaws.

Mr Sabastian Half
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Mr Sabastian Half » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:37 pm

In for info, i have a mighty max i was wanting to do the same thing to & guess what? Mine has no engine just the oem trans!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It Fluttered Like A Pidgeon Having A Heartattack, But Even A Flutter Is Promising These Days

redneckmoparman
Neon Enthusiast

Post by redneckmoparman » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:49 am

Well the mitsu trans will not bolt up you need either this dakota trans or the jeep unit to make it work we will see how hard it is to fit under cause the stock crap is tiny so hopefully it fits in the tunnel lol i wolnt know until i get the stupid jetta out and my gfs car fixed and the rear main in my 01 replaced and then the coupe out of the garage lol and i still need megasquirt

redneckmoparman
Neon Enthusiast

Post by redneckmoparman » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:56 am

So im not going to post every thing and every last picture of my truck i have lol but ill give you guys the link to the project log i started over on mightram50.net http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/sh ... 0-Sport%29

DOHC5spd2Dr
Neon Enthusiast

Post by DOHC5spd2Dr » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:39 am

This is awesome
38 1gn NEONS owned.
2013 Chrysler T&C Family cruiser.
1996 base coupe. Daily.
2009 Pontiac G8 GT. The fun car.

redneckmoparman
Neon Enthusiast

Post by redneckmoparman » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:49 am

not really but it will be one day lol anybody want to donate a 2gn starter so i can get my coupe out of the garage?

redneck_neongirl
New

Post by redneck_neongirl » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:33 pm

Get it in the garage already!

redneckmoparman
Neon Enthusiast

Post by redneckmoparman » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:37 pm

So I tried a test fit today....

Isn't going very well with this trans and I really don't want to cut up the body as in I refuse to lol so not too sure where to go from here but it may go back to stock for a while cause I miss drivin the damn thing!!!

redneckmoparman
Neon Enthusiast

Post by redneckmoparman » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:39 pm

Ps be jealous of all my space!!!!! Maybe I will have to put a turbo on just so I don't gave gobs and gobs of open space on a fully optioned truck lol

redneckmoparman
Neon Enthusiast

Post by redneckmoparman » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:52 am

Does anybody have a picture or access to a caravan 2.4? we never get any in the yards here but if you ever come across one take a pic of the drive belt system and locations of the accessories so i can try and figure out where im going to mount everything. Im trying to weigh my options of avaliability price and ease of installiation since space is not a worry and finding this jeep crap is damn near impossible there are 2 2.4 wranglers on ebay right now one 6 speed and the other an auto and neither have ac

redneckmoparman
Neon Enthusiast

Post by redneckmoparman » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:40 pm

Well i got it close to in place.....
Now i am leaning away from the 1gn intake just cause i want torque so the short runners are not in my favor but as you can see it fits pretty well and with a fabricated lower plenum you could put the tb on the front of the motor and be able to perfectly plumb in intercooler piping but im leaning towards a much longer runner with the stratus intake or maybe caravan idk yet but if you have a picture of a 2.4 intake manifold please post it here i have stratus and dohc intake and srt but that one is definately not going to work lol

KennyL
Neon Enthusiast

Post by KennyL » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:28 am

The Stratus manifold will produce plenty torque for you. Even if you plan on boosting it in the future, plenty of the old school Stratus guys used it in conjunction with turbo setups. With a Stratus intake manifold and a small, quick spooling turbo you'd have ALL the low end torque you'd ever want with your truck. I like the idea, if you can manage to fit it. I'm worried, though, since I know you gain several inches of space from radiator to intake manifold when you go to a Neon intake on a Stratus. You're going to loose those inches and towards the driver's side...space looks tight.
2000 Strat is in the process of modding.The Purple Beast "phase 2" on Stratusphere.net Getting ready for a complete teardown involving weight reduction, reinforcement and pulling the motor to do a performance-oriented rebuild for supercharging.
2004 Grand Prix GTP supercharged on 3800pro! http://www.3800pro.com/forum/gallery/40 ... x-gtp.html Near-stock DD, tweaks will be minor.

rojna
Neon Enthusiast

Post by rojna » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:09 pm

pt cruiser intake maybe :dunno:
N2k12 Pics

Now : 95 Coupe red - 01 NEON white - 04 SRT-4 black - 04 SRT-4 blue - 01 NEON SE silver - 02 NEON blue
Past : 15 NEON's

My Feedback

KennyL
Neon Enthusiast

Post by KennyL » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:20 am

rojna wrote:pt cruiser intake maybe :dunno:
AH, yes, that might work. It wraps up over top. You could even use the PT lower, which is kinda like the Neon intake half only wrapped upwards and not setup for a plenum, and build a custom box plenum. You'd have longer runners and plenty of driver's side clearance. In the truck, hood clearance shouldn't be an issue. Plenty of clearance and torque all day, err day...heh. The plastic might not hold up to much boost, though. If you're sticking to something the size of a T25 or T3 with a small compressor and very little boost (8 or less PSI manifold pressure), it could probably be made to work fine. You'd make 280 Ft./Lb. of torque or so by less than 5000 RPM, heh.

rojna
Neon Enthusiast

Post by rojna » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:35 am

KennyL wrote:
rojna wrote:pt cruiser intake maybe :dunno:
AH, yes, that might work. It wraps up over top. You could even use the PT lower, which is kinda like the Neon intake half only wrapped upwards and not setup for a plenum, and build a custom box plenum. You'd have longer runners and plenty of driver's side clearance. In the truck, hood clearance shouldn't be an issue. Plenty of clearance and torque all day, err day...heh. The plastic might not hold up to much boost, though. If you're sticking to something the size of a T25 or T3 with a small compressor and very little boost (8 or less PSI manifold pressure), it could probably be made to work fine. You'd make 280 Ft./Lb. of torque or so by less than 5000 RPM, heh.
The GT is aluminium :wink:

N2k12 Pics

Now : 95 Coupe red - 01 NEON white - 04 SRT-4 black - 04 SRT-4 blue - 01 NEON SE silver - 02 NEON blue
Past : 15 NEON's

My Feedback

KennyL
Neon Enthusiast

Post by KennyL » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:34 am

HA, that was an oversight on my part. I actually knew that. But yea, the lower half would make a great starting point for such a build as this, but would still be fairly short runner. You'd about have to cut off the upper half and make a box somewhere over top to get good runner length, unless you fabricated custom runners that are vertical. Taking into account hood clearance, of course. Many ways you could pull off such a thing.

redneckmoparman
Neon Enthusiast

Post by redneckmoparman » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:17 am

Ive debated a couple ideas and i can move brake lines and such if i need more room but i love the input and for your ideas heres a couple pics
jeep 2.4 intake
stock engine and intake that came in the truck

Right now im leaning towards trying to find a jeep to use EVERYTHING out if it for the swap since the cam sensor is located on the exhaust cam wheel and bolts into the backside of the timing cover so i dont have a clearance issue with the cam sensor and the firewall and it would make it cheaper and easier to do the exhaust for now with a header down the road and you can also see the complete single belt system i want to use

redneckmoparman
Neon Enthusiast

Post by redneckmoparman » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:16 pm

I just posted a pic of the fb page and everybody is freaking out so YES i will update later tonight, but right now im gonna go back outside so check back at like 8pm pst or tomorrow

95neon95
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 95neon95 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:22 pm

this is a project I've considered for a long time, but I had too much crap going on when I had the truck, and the parts to do it
2013 dart limited 1.4t 6 speed- lightly modded
05 tahoe z71- hauler/winter warrior

redneckmoparman
Neon Enthusiast

Post by redneckmoparman » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:43 pm

Okay plans changed and im drinking out at the bonfire so updates will come tomorrow :p

DragsRockers
Neon Enthusiast

Post by DragsRockers » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:46 pm

I've wanted to do a rwd swap to a 80's Caravan with this combo. There's still hope lol. Except for finding a good van lol.

'96 SOHC/MTX to 2.6 stroker swap in progress.
Formerly HanSoloNeon
Previous - '98 SOHC Deep Amethyst Coupe ATX to MTX
Current - '96 SOHC Black Coupe, MTX
Build Page on FB - https://www.facebook.com/importkillerv2

Beater Status
Site Supporter

Post by Beater Status » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:26 pm

Still tuned... :good:

Anonymous wrote: Imperfections on a neon are fine, so long as it's quick. Slowness only accentuates aesthetic flaws.

redneckmoparman
Neon Enthusiast

Post by redneckmoparman » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:19 pm

I KNOW I KNOW no pictures yet, HOWEVER i am loading them onto the computer from my phone so that i can get them into photobucket so that i can post them here. So please, be patient. For now i will tell you what i have compared to the beginning, and what i am using. I got an entire 1999 stratus engine at the picknpull 50% off sale including alternator, AC compressor, power steering pump, intake and exhaust manifolds, wiring harness, and ecu. This allows me to get off the shelf easy to find parts for a stratus, with just some fabbed motor mounts and fuel system. All of the accessories on the stratus are in the same location that the trucks were originally, so only some custom lines to connect said systems need to be made. The new trans is the later dakota 2.5 transmission, the ax15. The bellhousing to trans pattern is the desirable one that is a rather universal pattern that aisin uses on a range of transmissions from the chrysler/jeep ax15, toyota r series(including supra r154) and chevy ma5 transmission. They are all the same basic transmission, granted some internal differences and external locations and lengths, and are all quite reliable. Also planned now is a 50 Trim or equilavent turbo on a 420A eclipse turbo manifold running 15psi and should be good for 300hp and be big enough to stay OUT of boost for 30+mpg but be more than adequate for towing a neon on a trailer. Now to go fix a buddys neon transmission and ill be back to finish

redneckmoparman
Neon Enthusiast

Post by redneckmoparman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:20 pm

redneckmoparman
Neon Enthusiast

Post by redneckmoparman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:27 pm

Some pictures of the avaliable locations to put any brackets or motor mounts with all the stratus accessories

redneckmoparman
Neon Enthusiast

Post by redneckmoparman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:31 pm

Stratus front motor mount bracket i tried on for size to see if it would line up on the bellhousing, which it does, but it will not be staying

redneckmoparman
Neon Enthusiast

Post by redneckmoparman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:40 pm

The solution to the missing bellhousing bolt
And Garretts opinion on turbos for 300hp lol

Sport Coupe Erik
N2kX 100k Club

Post by Sport Coupe Erik » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:04 am

The problem I see here is that you're using a transmission rated for what...150hp, hoping for it to surive with somewhere more than double that? I dont know squat about those parts-but its been my experience that 4 cylinder stuff doesnt like to double the power and have drivetrain components survive. Here's hoping yours does-because that gives me hope that my 727tf from a 340 car will hold up against my 350whp 2.4 plans.

*in for updates.

SCE
95 NYG "Kermit" = SOHC/3.55 Econobox mode for now. 2.4t/RWD future
99 IB SC "Trouble" = 2.4 NA
74 Baja (part beetle, part 92 Corsica-you guess which part of each car I used)
02 WRX Wagon = awaiting an STI engine build
71 GMC Jimmy 4X4, one owner yo!
13 Triumph Scrambler, because sometimes 2 wheels are enough!

redneckmoparman
Neon Enthusiast

Post by redneckmoparman » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:10 am

erik a tf727 can hold i think up to about 500hp bone stock, not that you should, and can easily be built to hold well over 2000hp so if you have a 8.75 or 9" rear end the motor WILL be the weakest big component lol. For my truck im not really worried since the "ax15" branded version is put behind 4.0 jeeps and is considered pretty strong. Plus worst case senario ill just find a r154 or ma5 to bolt in place of it, since theyre just rebranded versions beefed up from the ax15. now my original trans is like glass and would shatter, thats why only now i am even considering boost. The nv1500 i had before from the old 2.2 dakota that made 92hp wouldnt last long in front of a bone stock 2.4.

btw erik i have a stage 2 small block 727 sitting at my house that my dad bought for his charger and would never flinch at what you want to do with it. nos unit he bought and put in the garage years ago and has all the ports plugged

As for the whole gearing situatuon, the trucks stock km125(r5m21) is 3.74/2.136/1.36/1.00/.856 and either 3.909(standard)/4.222(optional)/3.545(automatics) in the rear, while the dakota is 3.83/2.33/1.44/1.00/.79 and came with 3.55(standard) or 3.90(optional). combined with 26" tires stock and room for 31" tires i can go either way for fun or highway cruising. Most likely with the shorter lower gears ill go with finding a 3.545 gearset and play with tire size from there. ill have 2 sets anyways so i can have some super short tires on my wide wheels for fun, and some taller skinny tires when im more worried about long drives. Benifits of trucks lol

forgot to add, factory the truck weighs approximately 2800lbs, fsm says 2825 but doesnt say if thats full fluids or what options, but that is for my extended cab manual, and the other option is for 2750 but i know i have the "premium" model lol finished weight im hoping to stay under 3200(adding air ride and stereo and a few other doodads) and before you say gas doesnt matter its an 18gal tank, and i know a 5ga gas can full isnt very light, much less almost 4 of them!

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:43 am

Gasoline weighs 6.3 pounds per gallon just for reference
Black 1998 R/T Coupe - 2.4 Turbo Project finally going into motion after waiting for 8 years!
See the extremely slow progress of my build Here

Download Tapatalk for your smartphone or tablet Here
Tapatalk is a great app for people on the go or for those without home internet service.

jimbo in MI wrote:Yea, my advice is don't.

redneckmoparman
Neon Enthusiast

Post by redneckmoparman » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:58 pm

then thats 113.4lbs in just gasoline

Beater Status
Site Supporter

Post by Beater Status » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:17 pm

I'm getting closer... all the time :grin:

redneckmoparman
Neon Enthusiast

Post by redneckmoparman » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:17 am

Well today was spent shuffling vehicles and yanking out the np435 from my 88w250. Talk about a heavy trans OMG lol but once its rebuilt and back in the 50 will be coming up for test fit and clearancing and mounts being built, then its making hard parts work, then wiring, then plumbing and start!

TY3
Neon Enthusiast

Post by TY3 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:12 am

I'm curious to see how the motor feels with that trans and if it will feel more like driving a neon or a truck when its all said and done. Very sweet project by the way!!

Return to “MOPAR Projects”