Group buy on Sunroof Doctor parts

The Interior, Exterior and Audio Board is for detailed discussions of all aspects of body modification, consumer electronics
installations, and audio systems. Please refer all general maintenance and repair questions to the General Forums above.
97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Group buy on Sunroof Doctor parts

Post by 97acrcoupe » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:03 pm

OK, so 2003silverSRT4 picked up a '99 R/T recently, and it has a broken sunroof.
He called Sunroof Doctor and they would be willing to make a run of the Neon kits,
if they can get 20 people to commit. He's not active on these forums anymore,
and asked me to see if anyone was interested. I'll hit the FB page as well.
He doesn't have exact pricing, but he expects the kits to be in the $140-150 range,
which is what they were before. If there's interest I'm sure we can pin down specific numbers.

So, anyone interested?

I don't want to have to buy 20 by myself. lol

Jay
Black '97 Plymouth ACR coupe (Bought new...sold in 2005)
White '97 Dodge ACR Coupe (Stolen 2 weeks after I bought it, 2007)
Red '98 Dodge R/T Sunroof Coupe (Sold in 2009)
Green '99 Plymouth Expresso Coupe (Manual swapped...purchased 12/19)
(I only buy manual 1gn Neon coupes, lol)

Midnight Rider
Neon Enthusiast

Re: Group buy on Sunroof Doctor parts

Post by Midnight Rider » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:52 am

Curious- will this kit work on 2nd gens as well?
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4, Stage 2 with Toys- original owner!

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:17 am

I highly doubt if you're going to get too much of a response here.......now FB will be another story. There are guys always moaning because their sunroofs don't work and are desperate for a fix. It will be interesting to see how many folks step up to the plate. My 1998 R/T doesn't completely close and shut securely (been that way since I bought it), but it doesn't leak so I've never even attempted to open it. I barely drove it last summer and didn't even take it out of storage this year, so it will be another year until it gets started/driven. I'll be closely watching to see where this group buy goes. It would probably be a good idea just to buy one.....sell it in the future for a small profit if I decide not to mess with it. Count me in if this works out.
My True Story:
My older sister/husband sent me a selfie of them taking a test ride in a newer Corvette. They posted, "Going for a joy ride in our "dream car"
I immediately posted back......" Why dream small, I can put you in the driver's seat of a neon for a fraction of the price".......

U-Pulls are like a box of Chocolates.......you never know what you're going to find...... ;)

Oldest GUY on the .ORG with an ACR, a NYG, AND a R/T

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:52 pm

Yeah, I posted in the FB group and got a ton of interest. I figured I'd come over here just to cover the bases.
I'm thinking of getting 2, for the same reason. I can hold on to one of them in case I buy another Neon later. lol

Jay

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:52 pm

Midnight Rider wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:52 am Curious- will this kit work on 2nd gens as well?
AFAIK, it's 95-99 only.

Jay

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:50 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but IIRC, this only repairs the cable attaching points. If the mechanism is trashed, it isn't going to help.

I have a replacement mechanism for my sunroof, but I don't know that I will ever get around to swapping it in, as I don't really care if it works or not. I have it sealed by a "hook" I made that uses the existing screw holes to keep it from opening.

The mechanism was broken beyond repair by the PO because my guess is they got mad at it. They busted the glass and twisted up the frame. I got a replacement glass/frame off eBay, attached it, and haven't really looked back. The PO claimed that the wind caught it and it was ripped from the car. But when you find bits of glass in the car, and in the area around the drains, it's pretty obvious it was broke while on the car.

Even if I replace the mechanism, I doubt the motor works properly.

They won't leak into the car if the drains are clear. They are not exactly water tight anyways.

I would much rather have the factory set up my Sundance had, just a hinge at the front, and a manual lift/lock mechanism in the rear. Simple and fool proof. The glass could also be removed if you wanted. But I hated it, because it had no way to block the sunlight, and you roasted in the summer, even with the air on. Even using a static cling blocker, the heat would still come through.

The one in the neon is not nearly as bad, but since the slider is missing, you need to wear a ball cap depending on where the sun is, or you will have the sun in your eyes.
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

Midnight Rider
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Midnight Rider » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:58 pm

97acrcoupe wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:52 pm
Midnight Rider wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:52 am Curious- will this kit work on 2nd gens as well?
AFAIK, it's 95-99 only.

Jay
Thanks for answering. I kind of figured. I do have a complete 2nd gen repair kit, sealed from Mopar, just in case I ever need it. I had already replaced the mechanism once when I got a new sunroof glass years ago but thought it best to have a spare.
occasional demons wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:50 pm I would much rather have the factory set up my Sundance had, just a hinge at the front, and a manual lift/lock mechanism in the rear. Simple and fool proof. The glass could also be removed if you wanted.
Yes, this is what I liked about my Shadow. You could prop the glass open for ventilation in the rain and not get wet. Even had the "purple sack" (like Crown Royal) to store the glass in. :grin:
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4, Stage 2 with Toys- original owner!

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:16 am

I'm not really a sunroof guy because when it's open (and I'm driving) the sun is in my eyes. But, I'm kinda OCD about having things work like they're supposed to. It would be nice to cent it, and let air flow through since the A/C doesn't work either (it was a $550 car. lol)

Yes, it does repair the pieces the cables connect to, which is what's broken on mine. I have a backup parts assembly so I consider this a repair/preventative maintenance. Also, my sunroof lifts at the front and sinks in at the rear because it isn't held in place properly.

Jay

Doc Squanto
New

Post by Doc Squanto » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:45 am

I have a non-opening sunroof and might be interested... what does the kit fix/include?
Champagne Pearl 1999 Plymouth Style

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:28 pm

This is what I could find with a picture with the search function:
flylike2kites wrote: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:28 pm Adding onto the information in this thread, I installed the Sunroof Doctor Metal Tracks in Late August of 2011 along with a new sunroof motor. My sunroof always works. It's the most reliable thing on the car :lol: I know for a fact that my sunroof will always work. Even when my turbo doesn't feel like spooling, or my windows don't want to roll down, the sunroof works, lol.

Here's a pic I took of it 3 years ago. This is everything that it comes with. It seems like so little for so much money, but the price of doing it once and never looking back is a great feeling.

ALSO, it has DETAILED instructions, much more descriptive than a Haynes Manual. If you follow the instructions, you cannot fail.

Just a little word of advice...buy a box of rubber gloves and change them before you touch the headliner...That should have been common sense for me, but I was a SUPER NOOB then.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=412124&p=3473841&h ... r#p3473841

The link above will show the pic without PB's watermark on it. :wink:

EDIT: Here we go...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=324815
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

Doc Squanto
New

Post by Doc Squanto » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:38 pm

Thanks for linking the write-ups!
Yes, count me in!
Champagne Pearl 1999 Plymouth Style

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:41 pm

I'm working on it. The friend who got me involved hasn't replied to me in days. I'm going to contact the guy from Sunroof Doctor directly if I don't hear back by this weekend.

Jay

Silver2003SRT4
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Silver2003SRT4 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:55 pm

Hey all. Yes i did talk to the owner last week, he was certain he can get another run of them made for us and they still have the 2nd gen ones in stock as well. They recently updated the sunroof doctor website and multiple items disappeared off there. He said.if.anyone wants a 2nd gen kit to go to tg automotive and you can order the 2nd gen one on there.

He did mention the actual company that stamps the parts is.in the middle of a fairly large military contract so it may not be quick. I will get more details and share with Jay, 97acrcoupe, who is much more active than i.am on the forums and Facebook.

He did say if we can get 20-25 to commit for sure he will get another run made he said he did an additional run of first gen ones about 8 or 9 years ago and sold those out as well.

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:43 pm

Thanks for taking the time to log back in. I'll post up info in the FB group tomorrow.

Jay

vwkaferman
Neon Enthusiast

Post by vwkaferman » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:11 pm

I would 100% be in for one kit. Only my '99 R/T has a sunroof and currently it does have the sunroof dr. kit on it, still works flawlessly years later, but would love to have a spare just in case.

James
'74 Beetle, 0-60: Probably
'93 Cummins
'99 neon R/T - Work in progress!
'05 Bandit 1216, stuff :)

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:38 pm

vwkaferman, I posted details on the FB group. Basically, give Rick at Sunroof Doctor a call. It may be 6-8 weeks because the companies that make the parts for him is in the middle of a military contract or something. I'm told if you give him your payment info, the card won't be charged until they ship. 417-488-2707. 8:30-4p central time.

I'm going to give him a call when I start my vacation this week.

Jay

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:26 am

97acrcoupe wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:38 pm I'm going to give him a call when I start my vacation this week.

Post up what you find out Jay. I'm still on the fence about getting one. What other parts may be broken other than the motor which wouldn't be included in the kit...... :dunno:

One of the biggest reasons I'd get one is to help out with making the quota for a group buy. I know I did that with a group buy on Thermal mufflers from Modern Performance. I ended up not using it and sold it years later.
My True Story:
My older sister/husband sent me a selfie of them taking a test ride in a newer Corvette. They posted, "Going for a joy ride in our "dream car"
I immediately posted back......" Why dream small, I can put you in the driver's seat of a neon for a fraction of the price".......

U-Pulls are like a box of Chocolates.......you never know what you're going to find...... ;)

Oldest GUY on the .ORG with an ACR, a NYG, AND a R/T

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:01 pm

I have a backup sunroof assy just in case. lol

Wolfemancola
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Wolfemancola » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:20 am

i would be interested but shipping anything to Canada is crazy expensive... But my 98' R/T sunroof recently jammed up again after my home made fix lasted only about 2 years
1998 R/T blue w/ stripes - Mopar ECU, Crane 12 cams, Mopar STS, Iceman, ATX TB, TTI "Mid-length" header
1995 ACR Plymouth Coupe
1999 Neon EX - 2.4L, Crane 18 Cams, Ported Head, JE 10.5:1 bored .020 over, eagle rods, no balance shafts, 2.7 followers
1998 Neon EX coupe - a lot of R/T stuff, 4 wheel disc, West Wings body kit (Future project)
2001 R/T black - (Sold)
1998 Coupe DOHC 5-speed - Mopar ECU, ATX TB, Header, Mopar STS, 2200lbs, fastest $400 winter beater i've seen

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:06 pm

Where are you located in Canada? Most of my Canadian friends know someone in the US and use their address for shipping, then drive down and pic it up. Of course, if the border is still closed, that's not really an option.

Jay

Wolfemancola
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Wolfemancola » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:08 am

97acrcoupe wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:06 pm Where are you located in Canada? Most of my Canadian friends know someone in the US and use their address for shipping, then drive down and pic it up. Of course, if the border is still closed, that's not really an option.

Jay
Moncton New Brunswick Canada. The Us boarder to Maine is about 2 hours and 45 minutes away according to Google maps but like you said, it's closed and I don't know anyone there anyways. I've only been out of Canada once and it was last year.
1998 R/T blue w/ stripes - Mopar ECU, Crane 12 cams, Mopar STS, Iceman, ATX TB, TTI "Mid-length" header
1995 ACR Plymouth Coupe
1999 Neon EX - 2.4L, Crane 18 Cams, Ported Head, JE 10.5:1 bored .020 over, eagle rods, no balance shafts, 2.7 followers
1998 Neon EX coupe - a lot of R/T stuff, 4 wheel disc, West Wings body kit (Future project)
2001 R/T black - (Sold)
1998 Coupe DOHC 5-speed - Mopar ECU, ATX TB, Header, Mopar STS, 2200lbs, fastest $400 winter beater i've seen

Return to “Interior, Exterior and Audio”