High output alternator?

The Interior, Exterior and Audio Board is for detailed discussions of all aspects of body modification, consumer electronics
installations, and audio systems. Please refer all general maintenance and repair questions to the General Forums above.
91CavGT
Neon Enthusiast

Re: High output alternator?

Post by 91CavGT » Fri May 12, 2017 6:51 am

greenmachineiijh wrote:An alternator or AC or power steering pulley sizes will have no effect on idle. I am not trying to sound disrespectful, but I am not sure where that information is coming from. Especially in relation to the Cams statement. The only way any of those would touch idle is due to load.

As for the UDP and 14.5v, The stock charging rates are anemic at best and under powered. I am using a little trick on the temperature sensor to get the voltage regulator to charge at higher rate. When it is cold in the morning it will charge up to 14.8v on this new alternator.

In my previous alternator that trick charges between 14.2v - 14.4v on hot days and up to 14.6v on 2K+ RPM. Idle it would sit around 13.6v - 13.8v.

This alternator came with a manual, installation instructions, Bosch stickers, warranty card, free T-Shirt and hat order forms. The manual says stuff about 15v charging and up to 200A current and to upgrade to a minimum of true 4gauge for the primary and ground connections. Basically doing the Big3. Really interesting stuff.

What trick did you do?

My '05 does not have a battery temp sensor. I've read the computer uses the intake air temp sensor on my model to adjust alternator charging voltage.
Due to economic reasons, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

greenmachineiijh
Neon Enthusiast

Post by greenmachineiijh » Fri May 12, 2017 10:04 am

I am not sure how the second gen vehicles work for this or if it will work at all, but I think so. See this post for a 1st gen:
viewtopic.php?t=396283

On a 2001 to 2004 it should be in the battery cover/surround. (Thermoguard) Look for a two wire connector that has one pink with yellow stripe wire, and one brown with yellow stripe wire. I do not believe that is an option for you as I cant find any information for a battery temperature sensor for a 2005. Someone else should chime in on that.

*DISCLAIMER* Be warned, as the linked post clearly states, this trick should only be used on an AGM type battery or in regions where the temperatures are not real high. It can overcharge and boil or damage a standard wet battery as they can't handle the constant higher voltages when it is real hot outside or under the hood. At a minimum use a lower value resister to not go so high a voltage, or at least have a lot of load most of the time to offset the high charge rate.

I have been doing this trick for years without any issues Running two Optima batteries or other AGM.
'98 Sport, 3.0 CAI, 55mm TB, MP PCM and Bobble, Booger Bushings, Prothane street inserts, 205/45-R16 on 14lb Konigs. Hedman Chikara SS header, MPx UDP, Dynomax exhaust, Kenwood KDC-X998 deck, more...

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Fri May 12, 2017 11:10 am

IIRC, 2004 was the only year they used the battery blanket sensor. Maybe 2003. All other 2gn's use the AIT sensor as both air intake and ambient air. My '01 has just the plastic bubble insulation around the battery. No sensor or wires. I recall someone posting that the sensor blankets were more of a cloth material.

The trick is to change the resistance value so the sensor says it's colder than it actually is. The PCM lowers the charging rate on hot days, so like said, the battery doesn't overheat. My '99 XJ always had about a half volt higher reading in the winter than in the summer.

Doing this on the dual purpose sensor, from the intake air perspective, may cause the PCM to initially add fuel to compensate for the "denser air". But in the end, the o2 output will likely override that false input. That's my theory anyways. To me, it would just create conflicting data for the PCM, to gain a little voltage/charging rate for those model years.

The 1gn's and the 2004's having two separate sensors, shouldn't have any impact on the speed density fuel calculation.
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

greenmachineiijh
Neon Enthusiast

Post by greenmachineiijh » Fri May 12, 2017 11:46 am

Excellent to know. I got the information from a post from somewhere around the forums about 2Gens. guess it was mistaken. Thanks for the clarification!

Weird why they would remove that sensor for a few years Then add it for just one.
'98 Sport, 3.0 CAI, 55mm TB, MP PCM and Bobble, Booger Bushings, Prothane street inserts, 205/45-R16 on 14lb Konigs. Hedman Chikara SS header, MPx UDP, Dynomax exhaust, Kenwood KDC-X998 deck, more...

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Fri May 12, 2017 1:26 pm

greenmachineiijh wrote:Weird why they would remove that sensor for a few years Then add it for just one.
Not sure why they brought it back in 2004, but probably decided it was adding too much cost, and eliminated it in 2005. It does create some confusion, noticeably in battery relocation threads.
HottRodd wrote:Like I mentioned in the other thread , that srt alt comes with a smaller pulley. Does it mess with your idle when loaded up? How many volts you get at idle, considering the underdrive pulley you put on it.
At ~900 rpm idle, voltage is 14.3 volts with nothing loading it other than the engine's electrical needs. With everything turned on, defroster, blower motor on high, cooling fan running, etc, it maintains 13.99 volts. When the defrost is turned on with all else already going, the idle will dip momentarily, but it recovers quickly via the IAC motor.

Remember, this is with a smaller crank pulley, and a larger alternator pulley that comes with the alternator. So it is turning considerably slower than it was intended to. At least in an SRT 4 application.

I don't have anything special as far as audio, so I really can't say how well it keeps up with that.
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

HottRodd
Neon Enthusiast

Post by HottRodd » Fri May 12, 2017 5:17 pm

A double underdrive and still getting 14.3 volts . Can't do better than that . We'll done. Since I seem to be hearing that pulley size shouldn't be messing with my idle , could my IAC be not performing to spec. Does the IAC have a works or doesn't work type function or could it be slightly deaf to increased loads at idle? My IAC is very clean as well as the rest of my intake (no dirt, no egr, clean.!)
By the way about the cam thing , Quote " 110° lobe seperation is more for carburetors and 112°lobe seperation is for injected and turbo charged engines and have a smoother idle , with a wider power band. About 100 rpm per 1° . So 2° difference in seperation is about 200 rpm difference (smoother idle) without drilling a hole in the throttle body butterfly. UNQUOTE.
Question remains is my IAC not responding to increased loads. Is there anyway to test it without replacement?

UPDATE . is it really true the pcm has to relearn idle after memory. YouTube guy said " wipe memory, start cold motor with no throttle for 2 minutes, then 2 more minutes in gear with foot on the brakes, then 2 more minutes with AC on. How accurate is this information? And what does it mean if it doesn't work?
The 2003 2.0sx guy, 30k original miles :dance:
30k is that possible, Yeah :good: :

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Sat May 13, 2017 8:07 am

HottRodd wrote:
UPDATE . is it really true the pcm has to relearn idle after memory. YouTube guy said " wipe memory, start cold motor with no throttle for 2 minutes, then 2 more minutes in gear with foot on the brakes, then 2 more minutes with AC on. How accurate is this information? And what does it mean if it doesn't work?
Never heard of that one.

I have reset the PCM quite a few times, having to disconnect the battery for various reasons, and never had any issue with idle from that.

The PCM only has a certain amount of leeway to what it can compensate for to maintain target idle. Rough idle doesn't necessarily mean it isn't in the target rpm range. My '01 will actually maintain idle going up a 15º to 20º grade in 1st or 2nd gear, but the funny thing is it will cut the A/C compressor to keep from stalling when just sitting there idling. Possibly the in motion VSS input gives it more of a window than when the PCM knows it is not moving. But I doubt your IAC solenoid has anything wrong with it.

You could unbolt it, And key on without starting. It should snap fully open*. It does this so there is enough air entering the engine to start. Then I imagine once it gets cam crank sync and begins firing the injectors and coil, it adjusts it down so it will idle normally. At full open, it can hit 4000 rpm; free revving. I know, because I had one stick at full open.

I have had people argue that, but when a brake booster hose comes loose, or is forgotten to be reattached, guess what happens? The hole in a brake booster hose isn't any bigger...

* 2001 to 2005 model years.
- Bill

HottRodd
Neon Enthusiast

Post by HottRodd » Sat May 13, 2017 10:50 am

Checked the rpm this morning with obd reader the rough idle turns at same speed as a reg idle. So that's not it. That magnum head is looking better and better .
Bill you have one with a Magnum head without the MTV right if you were to check idle rpm with your obd 2 reader what is the exact number you get ? I'm curious if it is 200 rpm more than stock.

greenmachineiijh
Neon Enthusiast

Post by greenmachineiijh » Mon May 15, 2017 9:48 am

I have heard of the re-learn idle thing after resetting the PCM, but not all that stuff. I heard to just start the car and let it idle for two minutes. That way the PCM learns where the IAC sits at idle. The signal can vary slightly between solenoids. The rest is automatic.

At least that is what I have seen around the forums.

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Mon May 15, 2017 10:42 am

HottRodd wrote: Bill you have one with a Magnum head without the MTV right if you were to check idle rpm with your obd 2 reader what is the exact number you get ? I'm curious if it is 200 rpm more than stock.
I cannot check idle with an OBD tool, as the PCI bus issue does not let it connect. Idle per the tachometer never changed between the regular head and the Magnum. It can idle as low as 400 rpm, and as high as 800 rpm, depending on it's mood. Surprisingly, even when moving, 400/500 rpm is smoother than above that. But it really loads up the engine if you let it go too long. Low manifold vacuum = more fuel.

The head by itself cannot affect the amount of air entering the engine at idle. Once the throttle valve opens up, yes, it can have some impact, but the magnum head actually is no different on the intake side. It is all in the exiting gasses that it makes it's gains.

And at lower RPM's, it is probably a bit tougher getting spent gasses out, as you lose port velocity compared to the regular head. Remember, these were only used by the factory with 3.94/.81 MTX's, so the rpm's are a bit higher than the 3.55 and ATX transaxles.

Not that it isn't a worthwhile upgrade for either. But at low RPM's it isn't going to have much impact.
- Bill

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Tue May 16, 2017 8:00 am

greenmachineiijh wrote:Found another one, guys. 160A. Bosch AL6519HO High Output Alternator. The specs are hard to find, and that alternator does not come up easily when searched for. Amazon and Ebay do not indicate the 160A, only that is is HO. Summit racing and Napa have it spec as 160A. Not available through either source except special order through Napa for 500 bucks! And it is not shown as even a Neon part.

All kind of weird really. I just ordered the last one off of Amazon for $125. I will report back how it goes.

Available again on Amazon... if you can wait, and afford it.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-AL6519HO-H ... h+AL6519HO
- Bill

greenmachineiijh
Neon Enthusiast

Post by greenmachineiijh » Tue May 16, 2017 9:57 am

Holy cow!! That price skyrocketed a little bit... I know if you wait and watch it that price will fluctuate, typically go down until some are bought. I see that all the time on Amazon. Their products fluctuate in price due to supply and demand, almost like stocks. Seems like there is some algorithm automatically going on in the background.

A few years ago I watched some Depo Black Diamond headlights for months. They were $125 or so and I was just wishing. But one day I was buying something else and I saw the Amazon price change notice that said they were now $45!! I bought some and posted the sale on the forums. Two or three people got a few pairs at that price before it went up to the original price in a matter of hours.

Maybe the same will happen with these.

NickKo
Global Moderator

Post by NickKo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:46 am

occasional demons wrote:
greenmachineiijh wrote:Found another one, guys. 160A. Bosch AL6519HO High Output Alternator. The specs are hard to find, and that alternator does not come up easily when searched for. Amazon and Ebay do not indicate the 160A, only that is is HO. Summit racing and Napa have it spec as 160A. Not available through either source except special order through Napa for 500 bucks! And it is not shown as even a Neon part.

All kind of weird really. I just ordered the last one off of Amazon for $125. I will report back how it goes.

Available again on Amazon... if you can wait, and afford it.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-AL6519HO-H ... h+AL6519HO
160 AMP ?!?!? :wacko: COOL !!!!

Google is our friend.... It looks like this is still available from other sources, such as E-Bay.
I am sorely tempted. :grin:

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 52mm TB; Maddog STS
-1999 4-dr DOHC ATX= went to car heaven (junkyard)
-2000 Ply.LX with MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; R/T muffler + Header
-2001 Ddg.ES ATX = UDP, Magnum Header; + Syked PCM 'pending'

-1971 Ply.Scamp SL6cyl. ('Horse Traded' away)
-1968 Chry.300 w/440 V8 (sold)
"MoPar or No Car"

greenmachineiijh
Neon Enthusiast

Post by greenmachineiijh » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:37 am

Guernzilla
New

Post by Guernzilla » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:06 pm

I'm planning a build with a Crecendo 5500 on a 2005 neon and I need alot more power but I have absolutely no idea what to do about the alternator.
Last edited by Guernzilla on Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HottRodd
Neon Enthusiast

Post by HottRodd » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:21 pm

Call Mechman. They make to order . I'm sure if your willing to pay 400$ for an alternator they will steer you straight.
Maybe they can change the bracket and correct the size of the pulley to suit your car. After all its only 1 hole and a pulley, probably nothing for them.

Guernzilla
New

Post by Guernzilla » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:11 pm

HottRodd wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:21 pm Call Mechman. They make to order . I'm sure if your willing to pay 400$ for an alternator they will steer you straight.
Maybe they can change the bracket and correct the size of the pulley to suit your car. After all its only 1 hole and a pulley, probably nothing for them.
I'm willing to pay whatever. But I don't want to have to do any modifications, being that I'm not mechanically inclined I just want to plug and play. I planned on swapping the alt out durring my big three upgrade.

HottRodd
Neon Enthusiast

Post by HottRodd » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:41 pm

So you called them and they weren't able to accommodate your needs? See what I said is maybe the will make it fit for you , so you don't have to modify anything. I seen a 150 amp alternator on Amazon.com that was bolt on. It was an Eagle model . I tried to put the link in but it didn't work

greenmachineiijh
Neon Enthusiast

Post by greenmachineiijh » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:32 am

Hit up ebay. I have been running a high output for years from them without issue. 200A.

NickKo
Global Moderator

Post by NickKo » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:37 am

HottRodd wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:41 pm So you called them and they weren't able to accommodate your needs? See what I said is maybe the will make it fit for you , so you don't have to modify anything. I seen a 150 amp alternator on Amazon.com that was bolt on. It was an Eagle model . I tried to put the link in but it didn't work

THANK you for this lead, Richard.
Looks like I will be buying this for one of the Neons...

- Nick

"MoPar or No Car"

HottRodd
Neon Enthusiast

Post by HottRodd » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:54 am

No sweat glad to be of sevice.

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:32 pm

Legal Disclaimer
Please run 4 or 2 gauge wire from battery positive to behind alternator post and leave original wires too and you have highest core cranking heavy duty New battery or batteries ******
But does it have an output stud large enough to support an eyelet that is needed to crimp onto 4 to 2 gauge wire? The stock 83/85 amp alternator does not. The 136 amp Turbo alternator has a larger stud, which easily accommodates 4 gauge.

Comparison between the two:

I don't see it staying cool if it has a small stud like the oem alternator. There was one a while back on Ebay, I think, that had a high output, and that little bitty stud.

And really, as long as the battery is in good shape, I don't see the logic of having to upgrade it. The PCM is still going to dictate the charge rate via target voltage.

My smaller battery does just fine with the added 53 max rating output. It isn't anything special. Just a regular replacement battery for a Honda.

It seems to handle the increase in amperage that the 4 gauge provides quite well. Most of that amperage is going to run the load on the system, and not into the battery anyways. Only for a brief period of time after cranking, does the battery need the alternator.

Upgrading the battery only makes the alternator look better, because it can better supplement keeping voltage up when the alternator is lacking. So that is a bit of a red flag to me. Maybe a bit of marketing hype...
- Bill

HottRodd
Neon Enthusiast

Post by HottRodd » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:48 pm

Nick I need a favor (please) when you get your Alternator, could you please tell me what the pulley size is (56 mm, 64mm or ?) I also would like to know what voltage you get at idle. Also if possible to take a load reading on your OBD2 reader before and after your installation. The load reading might tell me the effects on a system of this particular alt. ESPECIALLY with the AC on or off .
You say you have this model in two of your cars. Is there anyway I can get you to take a "load" reading with no accessories, and one with all accessories on .
I'm trying to figure something out about my car and would really appreciate this information.
Oh yeah I almost forgot . On the car you do have this model on what is your idle like with the AC on?

RICHARD

NickKo
Global Moderator

Post by NickKo » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:58 pm

HottRodd wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:48 pm Nick I need a favor (please) when you get your Alternator, could you please tell me what the pulley size is (56 mm, 64mm or ?) I also would like to know what voltage you get at idle. Also if possible to take a load reading on your OBD2 reader before and after your installation. The load reading might tell me the effects on a system of this particular alt. ESPECIALLY with the AC on or off .
You say you have this model in two of your cars. Is there anyway I can get you to take a "load" reading with no accessories, and one with all accessories on .
I'm trying to figure something out about my car and would really appreciate this information.
Oh yeah I almost forgot . On the car you do have this model on what is your idle like with the AC on?

RICHARD
On my other Neons.... I upgraded to the 'regular' 120amp N/A PT Cruiser alternator.
They were a complete bolt-in; and bolt on. ( If you do this, be sure to add a redundant charging lead to the battery positive, along with a fusible link, for the purpose of safety. Better safe than sorry.)
Both of these P/T Cruiser alternators, came with the 'smaller' 56mm pulley, If I Recall Correctly.

I will say that there is still a bit of roughness at idle, with the A/C on, even with these alternators; but nothing that I consider abnormal.
The P/T alternators did appear to smooth out the idle a bit.

occasional demons wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Legal Disclaimer
Please run 4 or 2 gauge wire from battery positive to behind alternator post and leave original wires too and you have highest core cranking heavy duty New battery or batteries ******
But does it have an output stud large enough to support an eyelet that is needed to crimp onto 4 to 2 gauge wire? The stock 83/85 amp alternator does not. The 136 amp Turbo alternator has a larger stud, which easily accommodates 4 gauge.
Thank you for that, Bill !!

For the record, I will state that I have not yet made up my mind, about going with the 'upgrade' alternator posted up on Amazon. :scratch:
And this is before Bill posted his comment, about the output terminal stud size ( I bet it's the larger one.)
I can always 'open up' the terminal lug to accept a larger stud, if necessary. But considering that the 'regular' N/A PT Alternator is already an upgrade - This Amazon unit, might be overkill. (At least for me)
Besides, I am not running a megawatt stereo or anything. If I was, then maybe it would be justified.

- Nick

"MoPar or No Car"

HottRodd
Neon Enthusiast

Post by HottRodd » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:03 pm

The alt's from the Pt with the smaller 56mm pulley give you how many volts at the battery at room temp ? I'm wondering if it's the alt giving more volts or the temp sensor on my dry cell battery not relating the proper information to the pcm because it was designed for wet cell batteries that relate their temp better to the wall of the battery.

I found by putting a washer ontop of the existing nut at the alt then the connector then another washer making sure the washer hole was 6mm just like the stud ,the a lock washer and another nut that it seemed to relate proper suface area for the connection and there was enough room on the stud . At least 4x more surface area than the original connection which was really wimpy. 2nd gens ....... unbelievable the stock connection. :shock:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:41 pm

IIRC, the SRT/GT alternator stud is 8mm.

!36 amps is also more than adequate for my needs. But It was less than $50 on ebay, so it was a decent bang for the buck. But only if you can get one with the field connector, and more realistically, have a 2.4 to hang it on. The upper alternator "Turbo" bracket was under $20 from the dealer. The bracket actually has "Turbo" stamped into it.
- Bill

Return to “Interior, Exterior and Audio”