Tao's Calling

The Pits is where relaxed, off-topic, and random posts should go. This board is not Neon-specific and any topic is allowed as long as it meets the terms of the User Agreement: You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Administrators and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit.
PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Tao's Calling

Post by PA ACR » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:06 pm

I don't have any important things to do tomorrow and the weather is still holding out great in our part of the country......days in the 60's and nights in the 40's........ the leaves should really put on a good show because they are unbelievably beautiful right now around my house. :good:

I figured I'd make one more JY run in 2020 before the cold weather/snow settles in. I'm heading out in a few minutes for a long drive....sleep in the van over night so I can hit up Harry's at Opening Time....9:00 AM. Then swing south and hit up the yards around Harrisburg. I did see there were 2 1st GNs in York, but depending on what I find ( U-Pulls are like a box of Chocolates.......you never know what you're going to find) I may not be able to drive that far before 4:30 closing time. The traffic around Harrisburg/York will be crazy at that time of day too. Not really looking for anything special. Will most likely just be window shopping.... :lol:
My True Story:
My older sister/husband sent me a selfie of them taking a test ride in a newer Corvette. They posted, "Going for a joy ride in our "dream car"
I immediately posted back......" Why dream small, I can put you in the driver's seat of a neon for a fraction of the price".......

U-Pulls are like a box of Chocolates.......you never know what you're going to find...... ;)

Oldest GUY on the .ORG with an ACR, a NYG, AND a R/T

Midnight Rider
Neon Enthusiast

Re: Tao's Calling

Post by Midnight Rider » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:00 pm

Hope that you find some goodies! Be safe with all of the crazies on the roads these days!
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4, Stage 2 with Toys- original owner!

Swankie40
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Swankie40 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:34 pm

Usually when you are "Just window shopping" is when you find all the stuff that you don't have time to pull :lol:
"There are no bad neons, just bad owners."

Main neons:
1995 Nitro-Yellow Green Sport Coupe
1996 Brilliant Blue ACR
1996 Black ACR
1997 Black Coupe
1999 Red Sport
1999 Deep Aymythyst ( Yellow Race Car )
Plus 16 more

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:27 am

Terrible drive.........

I 80 closed for a wreck. Had to take a back road detour for about 20 miles, tons of 18 wheelers. Rained almost the whole way. Really tough to see with it being dark and trucks whizzing by at 70 MPH making the van shake and difficult to see with rooster tails.

Checked into the motel around 11:30. Forgot to throw in my sleeping bag. Thank goodness there was an old quilt and another blanket in the van. Got down in the low 40's but they kept me nice an toasty. Headed to Harry's now....about a 10 minute drive... :smile:
My True Story:
My older sister/husband sent me a selfie of them taking a test ride in a newer Corvette. They posted, "Going for a joy ride in our "dream car"
I immediately posted back......" Why dream small, I can put you in the driver's seat of a neon for a fraction of the price".......

U-Pulls are like a box of Chocolates.......you never know what you're going to find...... ;)

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:49 am

Hopefully Harry's is a better box of chocolates than the drive.
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:04 pm

occasional demons wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:49 am Hopefully Harry's is a better box of chocolates than the drive.
:rofl:
My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:05 pm

:cry:
My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:06 pm

Well, I always look on the bright side.....I found $0.26 in one of the cars...... :lol:
My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:08 pm

Update in the morning (just got home and tired) unless my granddaughter has other ideas....... :dunno:
My True Story:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:55 am

PA ACR wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:08 pm unless my granddaughter has other ideas....... :dunno:
Oh, they always do. I get nothing done when the grand kids visit. But I can't complain. Their interest in grandparents will wear off all too soon.

Or their parents will get a hair up their behinds and move across the country.
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:56 am

Granddaughter is on the IPad........ :smile: :smile:

Headed into Hazelton and spotted this eating place...... :mock:

The U-Pull is actually right on the edge of the city. Residential homes are located right up to the entrance....

The street to Harry's was closed and ripped up everywhere....another detour. Finally was able to get to the front gate and it was blocked off too...... :bash:

Saw some vehicles coming in on a road through some trees.....didn't even know it was there and I've been coming here for probably 10 years.... :scratch:

Drove around on some more back streets and finally found the other entrance....I was about 15 minutes early and there was a slight mist in the air so the parking lot was pretty empty.....I parked beside the only other car there........I thought I was crazy but this is a long road trip for some parts........ :shock:

Harry's is a unique U-Pull.........I know a guy who has a white neon R/T from VA who restores these and would love to grab some parts.

Anybody need a block or ATX......and this picture is just a small part of the pile.....

My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:40 pm

Walked nearly 1/4 to the U.S. cars.....GM, Ford, Chrysler. Who would have ever thought. All the trucks, SUVs, vans, and Imports are located right beside the entrance...... :bash:

Quickly found an alpine in the first row.....sorry Case...it was in really nice condition and the trunk lid was mint....absolutely no rust....

Not much on it that I needed....grabbed the grille for my second grille collection...... :good:

Did find the 2 back floor mats which I also took.....

Somebody took both front mats out of the car and turned them upside down in the mud.......(they weren't in the best condition, but still) inexcusable...... :ireful:

My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:44 pm

Continued along the first row and found a 1998 Sebring convertible...... yep...... :dance:

Grabbed the mint wheel and control pods for $15.00 :yahoo:

:shock:

As I walked through the first several rows of cars, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. PT after PT with a MTXs. I saw 4 in the first half of the section......I really wanted to pull all of them for Chuck, but they charge $20 a piece for them. As I walked through the rest of the yard, I found 3 more. I decided to pull just one and all the shift knobs. They would've taken $140.00 from my pocket for all of them. Most places I go they get $10. I would've paid $70 for them, but instead I pulled just one for $20 (and they didn't charge me for the 6 shift knobs).....no way they got $50 for the other 6 for scrap and they're certainly not selling any of them any more. Oh well, their loss......

My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:59 pm

Saw another 1st GN...looked like an ACR from a distance except for the fog light bumper cover......nothing worth taking on it. I already have 2 white grilles so I didn't bother with it.

Couldn't resist pulling the hood scoop for my red ACR......... :good:

Just kidding........ :rofl:
My True Story:

alpinegreenneon
Super Moderator

Post by alpinegreenneon » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:01 pm

How were the fenders? I need both. Both of mine are no longer connected to the two bottom bolts. Rust all around those bolts and my fenders flop in the wind. :sad:
Case

98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
98 Sport Coupe DOHC Amethyst ATX to MTX swap
95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
03 Dakota QC 4.7 4x4 ATX Patriot Blue stock (Sold)
16 Dart SE 2.0L Laser Blue Pearl stock
16 Dart SXT 2.0L TorRed stock
18 Ram 1500 standard cab 3.6L Delmonico Red stock

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:08 pm

I found one more black 1st GN....at least that was what they had posted on their inventory. :wink:

Yep, opened the driver's side door and sure enough (I had previously checked out the vin #) amethyst..... the car was repainted and the wing looked really nice from the top. I need one for my R/T and I was really hoping maybe the owner had put an OEM one on it. The cable for the trunk was broken, so I pulled down the back seats and climbed into the trunk to remove the 4 nuts. I pulled the wing and no luck....repainted AND one of the tabs on the grille was broken too... :sad:

Also found a window sticker in a 2003 Solar Yellow....... :good:

I always try to grab something crazy each time I go to a yard.....found this wedged between the steering column and handle to release the column/driver's side dash panel. I couldn't even see it until I removed the dash panel to get the vent so it was a real surprise. Wonder how it ever got wedged into that tiny space.... :dunno:

My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:15 pm

alpinegreenneon wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:01 pm How were the fenders? I need both. Both of mine are no longer connected to the two bottom bolts. Rust all around those bolts and my fenders flop in the wind. :sad:
If I remember correctly, they were in pretty good condition. There might have been some surface rust on the lips and I didn't look down under it, but you can see from the rest of the car it was in really nice condition. They definitely wouldn't be flopping in the wind. The PCMs were in all 3 of the 1st GNs. I don't know if Modern is still giving credit for them but I was thinking about pulling them..... :dunno:
My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:21 pm

I was soaked from my knees down to my duck boot shoes from the mud, weeds, and mist which had fallen most of the morning. It was 11:30, so I decided to head out to the next 2 U-Pulls......total bill...$44.10...... :good:
My True Story:

Swankie40
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Swankie40 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:33 am

Sounds like a pretty good trip!

I check every sebring at the yards I go to and haven't been lucky enough to find a wheel! :mad: :rofl:

Main neons:
1996 Brilliant Blue ACR
1996 Black ACR
1997 Black Coupe
1999 Red Sport
Plus 16 more

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:41 am

Possibly could have been an amp in the Sebring, like in my project log, but from my research, convertible Sebrings are the worst place to look, due to the top either being left down, or leaking. Apparently they are under the seat, and water pools there.

Not that the amp would be high on Tom's list of things to grab! :lol:
- Bill

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:42 am

Swankie40 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:33 am Sounds like a pretty good trip!
Yep..just wish that spoiler would've been black instead of repainted....... :yes:

And it gets just a little better..... :good:
My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:43 am

occasional demons wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:41 am Not that the amp would be high on Tom's list of things to grab! :lol:
What's an amp........ :scratch:
My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:45 am

occasional demons wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:41 am Possibly could have been an amp in the Sebring, like in my project log, but from my research, convertible Sebrings are the worst place to look, due to the top either being left down, or leaking. Apparently they are under the seat, and water pools there.
There must have been 20 Sebrings at this yard......... :shock:

Just checked their price list and they only charge $15 for an amp....... :good:

The only amp I knew about was the one I used for about 30 years to make the walls vibrate while I was DJing for weddings, parties, and class reunions...... :lol:
My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:47 am

Swankie40 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:33 am I check every sebring at the yards I go to and haven't been lucky enough to find a wheel! :mad: :rofl:
Your Tao needs to be stronger........ :wink:
My True Story:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:02 am

PA ACR wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:43 am
What's an amp........ :scratch:
An energy drink? :dunno:
- Bill

Midnight Rider
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Midnight Rider » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:40 pm

When you make trips like this, I really wish that I could go along to be a "go-fer" and have you direct which parts need pulling. Not really anything that I need but I would be able to help.
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4, Stage 2 with Toys- original owner!

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:22 am

Midnight Rider wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:40 pm When you make trips like this, I really wish that I could go along to be a "go-fer" and have you direct which parts need pulling. Not really anything that I need but I would be able to help.
You're welcome to tag along anytime. I probably won't be going back anytime soon unless I see something show up with some goodies. Two of the yards don't post their inventory online and that's the main reason I went because I wanted to check them out before winter. Snow/cold weather takes all the fun out of JYing from Nov-Mar here in PA...... :sad:
My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:56 am

I headed out for Ringgold around 12:00. The drive is on a two lane road and I knew it would be a beautiful drive....... :good: Unfortunately, I had no way of knowing it would also involve another detour....... :bash:

Thank goodness it probably only added about 10 minutes to the nearly hour drive. Even though it was slightly raining the drive was breath taking...leaves were spectacular..... :shock:

More problems just before I got to the U-Pull....

I couldn't tell what was going on.......but discovered what happened when I made the return trip about an hour later. Someone had driven off the road and missed everything..went between the fence and the barn...ended up between a fence and house. I could barely see the roof of the car. They were removing it with a crane...... :shock:

:cry:

Only 1 1st GN...think there was 2 or 3 the previous time. It was there the last time I visited and I had taken the top dash pad. It has the tan/chocolate interior. Nothing else was taken. The passenger side seat is really nice/clean with almost no wear. It's a coupe and I remember talking to somebody at Carlisle who was looking for this interior. I can't remember who it was, but I think he said something about being from the Columbus, OH area..... :dunno: It's a real shame to see this rarer color interior get crushed...... I'm sure it will be gone by spring :cry:

I found two more ATX PT Cruisers. One had a shift ball and the other one didn't. I decided to just take the one with the ball. Everything around the shifter in the other one was already removed and all I would've had to do is remove the 4 nuts to grab it. I probably should've taken it because they only charge $10 for them at this U-Pull. I was really cutting it close with time to get to the next yard and I already have over 10 shifters to ship to Chuck.

While looking through the cars I noticed this one........ :bash:

Pizza wheels...... :smile:

I'm 99% sure I'll never purchase a Turbo car, so I decided to grab this just for displaying it --- if I could remove it in a short amount of time. I had no trouble removing the bolts in about 15 minutes so I grabbed it for $15....... :dance:

Total for the parts.....$26.50...... :good:

Quickly packed up and headed for Gribbles.
My True Story:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:11 am

I wonder if this has been in the yard forever, or if someone drug it there from their back yard...

You don't see a lot of 4 bolt stuff anymore. Probably ~1984 model year or older. I think everything except the N/A L bodies, became 5 bolt in 1985 and newer.
- Bill

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:20 am

occasional demons wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:11 am I wonder if this has been in the yard forever, or if someone drug it there from their back yard...
You don't see a lot of 4 bolt stuff anymore. Probably ~1984 model year or older. I think everything except the N/A L bodies, became 5 bolt in 1985 and newer.
I'm almost positive it wasn't there a few months ago when I visited last in July..... :nea:

Probably was sitting in somebody's back yard for years........ :sad:
My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:32 am

I got to Gribbles around 3:25....I couldn't remember when/what time the yard closed because they go to winter hours around this time of year. Turns out they are now using winter hours and they close at 4:00. Another 5 minutes and they would've had the gate locked......

I only had time to trot through the Chrysler section...only 4 rows about 100 yards long. There was only one trashed 1995 Sdn. I grabbed the "neon" plaque from the dash for my collection. Now have 137 of them....... :shock:

The dash actually exploded/shattered like a piece of plate glass while removing it......

Also saw the red coupe I got the door moldings from in July. I quickly grabbed the grille from it. I couldn't believe I only pulled one for my collection over the years...... :dunno:

Just finished getting it out as the siren for closing time was just going off........ :dance:
My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:41 am

Harry's U-Pull - 3 1st GNs
Ringgold Pull & Save - 1 1st GN
Gribble's U-Pull - 2 1st GNs

Total 3 yards......6 1st GNs......... :cry:
My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:54 am

I decided to take Interstate 81 the whole way from Harrisburg, past Carlisle, and on to Chambersburg. The traffic was insane. Both lanes packed and tons of trailer trucks. I saw an accident near a Carlisle exit.....traffic backed up for miles..........glad I was going in the opposite direction...... :shock:

Stopped near Bedford around 8:30 at Wendy's ....first time I ate all day. Got home about 9:30. It never fails to have another exciting/eventful/productive/interesting day........ :good:
My True Story:

Swankie40
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Swankie40 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:12 pm

Those pizza wheels are awesome! I'm sure they would bring a "pretty penny" to the right person. I know the 5 bolt ones are expensive :shock:

Main neons:
1996 Brilliant Blue ACR
1996 Black ACR
1997 Black Coupe
1999 Red Sport
Plus 16 more

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:05 pm

Swankie40 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:12 pm Those pizza wheels are awesome! I'm sure they would bring a "pretty penny" to the right person. I know the 5 bolt ones are expensive :shock:
I'm pretty sure all four of them were on the car.....$20 a piece and no core charge. I'm definitely not taking a chance on buying them... :nea:

I'm sure some might need refurbished and then shipping costs would probably make them too pricey unless somebody was restoring a car to it's original condition.

I'm pretty sure they should fit your 4 lugger...... :wink:
My True Story:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:05 pm

PA ACR wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:05 pm
I'm pretty sure they should fit your 4 lugger...... :wink:
:yes:
- Bill

Return to “Pits”