Can I use Penzoil Synchromesh Fluid in my Neon

san26141
New

Can I use Penzoil Synchromesh Fluid in my Neon

Post by san26141 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:38 pm

I have a '96 Neon DOHC with a manual tranny. Can I use Pennzoil Synchromesh Fluid? It has a Chrysler part number of 4874464 and the spec on the Neon is 4874465.

GQ
Neon Enthusiast

Post by GQ » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:25 pm

I've been using it for 2 months now without any problems. I did not notice a difference over Mopar OEM fluid other than being cheaper.

Damnit, Laverty
Retired Moderator

Post by Damnit, Laverty » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:54 pm

Yes. The part numbers cross over.

I just found this out myself, I was shocked as all hell while reading on NASIOC to see a very familiar ChryCo part number cross my eyes. :)

Thank god, I don't have to spend 13/qt or 9 for MTL any more. w00t!

The information presented here is gathered from the documents listed in the References section below.

Pennzoil-Quaker State Synchromesh is a unique transmission and transaxle fluid that is not API "GL" rated. It has an approximate gear oil grade of about SAE 80W and can be used when temperatures range from -40ºF (-40ºC) to 300ºF (150ºC). According to Pennzoil's product description it is "formulated with high quality paraffinic base stocks, a fluidity modifier, multifunctional performance additives, corrosion inhibitors, a foam suppressor and a shear stable viscosity index improver additive. It provides excellent oxidation stability, low temperature performance, excellent synchronizer performance and compatibility with yellow metals, such as bronze, brass and copper components found in manual transaxles and transmissions." This description makes Synchromesh suitable for use in some transaxles or transmissions where GL-4 gear oils are specified.

A post on the message board at www.oilanalysis.com found Synchromesh to consist of a 5W30 non-detergent oil with a friction modifer and an EP (extreme pressure) additive. It is made under contract for General Motors by Pennzoil (APC 3378) or by Texaco (Code 1874 MTX Fluid).

According to Don Johnson, Synchromesh fluid was developed for use in the New Venture manual transmission used by Chrysler and General Motors. Specifically, Synchromesh is formulated for transmissions that require GM Part No. 12345349 (Specification No. 9985648), GM Part No. 12345577, or Chrysler Part No. 4874464 (Specification MS-9224). Owners of Diamond Star Motors (DSM) Eclipse, Talon, and Laser cars with MMC (Mitsubishi Motor Corporation) transaxles have reported positive experiences using Synchromesh. The same can be said for owners of the Mitsubishi 3000GT and Dodge Stealth cars with the Getrag-manufactured AWD transaxles. The main benefit to DSM and 3/S owners seems to be excellent synchronizer performance, with reduced grinding and easier shifting compared to using some other gear oils.

Pennzoil Synchromesh Fluid can be purchased as that brand or as the equivalent products: Quaker State Synchromesh (Quaker State is part of Pennzoil), Texaco Synchromesh, GM Synchromesh, or AC Delco Synchromesh (part number 89021808). GM Synchromesh retails for about $10 per quart bottle at GM dealerships. Pennzoil Synchromesh is sold at many Auto Zone auto parts stores for about $5 per quart and should be available from Pennzoil distributors. Texaco Express Lube stores use Synchromesh but the stores I contacted would not sell the product by itself to customers. Pennzoil Synchromesh can be purchased in 5-gallon containers from oil-store.com.

References
Lubrication Basics by Don Johnson
Noria Message Board - Synchromesh what is it?
Pennzoil Synchromesh Fluid Product Description
Pennzoil Technical Information P-21-C; Automotive Gear Oils
Texaco Synchromesh Transmission Fluid
Viscosity and Engine and Gear Oil Grades
-Laverty. OG BSM
'09 C63 AMG | '99 ACR | '00 Dakota | '00 Ducati M750 | '91 Kawi ZXR-250

So, when your Mexican motor explodes, will candy come out? -Reed
Less is more, and the big things are often the little things that someone would overlook. -Roysneon
Sometimes I feel like I'm reading what 800 monkeys wrote before they stumbled onto Shakespeare. -Me
Awesome, you figured out the keyboard. Now you can arrange letters to make words. -Ben

dmarino
Neon Enthusiast

Post by dmarino » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:18 am

I run this fluid as well, seems to be great.
08' Triumph Street Triple (675cc)
Currently Neon Shopping :)

GQ
Neon Enthusiast

Post by GQ » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:33 am

im still running it

Damnit, Laverty
Retired Moderator

Post by Damnit, Laverty » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:22 am

Hahah. wow. I somehow bumpd this thread from the dead! I don't even know how I SAW it!

...too strange. Sorry guys.
-Laverty. OG BSM
'09 C63 AMG | '99 ACR | '00 Dakota | '00 Ducati M750 | '91 Kawi ZXR-250

So, when your Mexican motor explodes, will candy come out? -Reed
Less is more, and the big things are often the little things that someone would overlook. -Roysneon
Sometimes I feel like I'm reading what 800 monkeys wrote before they stumbled onto Shakespeare. -Me
Awesome, you figured out the keyboard. Now you can arrange letters to make words. -Ben

Green96
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Green96 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:55 pm

Good to know! I used to use this stuff in my stangs and it really helped the shifting and overall feel of the trans, great stuff.
'96 4D Highline
SOHC, MTX, K&N, Mopar ECU
Dynomax Turbo muff, Boogers,
urethane filled FMM, New PT clutch, ATX TB.

2001 SOHC swap complete! Going Honda huntin... :)

rotoflex
Global Moderator

Post by rotoflex » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:14 pm

It's probably on the shelves at your local AutoZone.

Today I stopped at about 12 different auto parts places (including AutoZones, Advances, Pep Boys, NAPAs, O'Reilly's, Wal-Mart, Sears-formerly-KMart, & Target) looking at aftermarket 1 1/2" gauges & checking for the availability of Redline MTL or Pennzoil Synchromesh.

Most places had neither, a couple grudgingly said they'd "see" if they could order it if I brought in a part number, most just said they didn't carry either one.

The exception is AutoZone stores, each had Pennzoil Synchromesh on the shelves. Same line about MTL, though, don't carry it or "bring me a part number."

All these places seem ready to order any part you need as long as it's a radiator or something, but if it's some kind of lube they don't usually carry they start acting like it's game over.

Here's a link to an archived post about MTX lubes
White 1998 Dodge Neon R/T coupe, so OEM that it tickles
White 1999 Dodge Neon R/T coupe, Mopar Performance PCM, Mopar short shifter, Koni shocks, Booger bushings, shaved & ported head, Crower cams, AEM timing gears, PaceSetter header, ATX TB, Kirk CAI, Odyssey battery, dog hair under seats - wrecked, trying to get it back together

WhatTheNeon
Neon Enthusiast

Re: Can I use Penzoil Synchromesh Fluid in my Neon

Post by WhatTheNeon » Wed May 11, 2016 9:45 am

Could I mix this fluid with the factory mopar stuff?

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Re: Can I use Penzoil Synchromesh Fluid in my Neon

Post by occasional demons » Wed May 11, 2016 10:17 am

Mixing may, or may not have positive results. It comes down to what additives are in each oil, and how they react to each other.

Most times you are safe, but there is that chance. Probably more of a risk when you try blending different vicosities of the same or different brands to obtain a certain shift feel, etc. Yes, people actually do that stuff. Not necessarily "neon people" but it does happen.

If you are draining, and refilling, usually there isn't enough of the old to matter. If you are really anal, you will either flush it with the new oil and drain again, or let it set for a day or two to let any oil clinging to exit the drain hole.

I have used Redline MTL in my '01, and after the axle seal decided to begin slinging that all over, I refilled with Synchromesh after replacing the seal, and have not had any issue. I only drained it the first time, and I think I just topped off with synchro mesh with what didn't run out of the seal hole the second time.

That was 40,000 miles ago, so I think it's good. I mainly went with Pennzoil over the Redline due to it being readily available near the repair location, and it was $8/quart cheaper. I think I liked the feel of the Redline MTL a little better overall, but the Synchromesh has served me well.
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

Return to “Drivetrain, Driveline and Suspension Archived Posts”