'00 Neon having charging/P0622 issues

The 2nd Gen Board is for general questions regarding the second generation of Neons (2000 - current.) Rumors, hints, tips-and- tricks, and all general maintenance and repair questions belong in this forum, as well as beginning modification queries.
HikariStarshine
Neon Enthusiast

'00 Neon having charging/P0622 issues

Post by HikariStarshine » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:21 am

I've been fighting with my daily-driver for the last month or so, trying to figure out exactly what the issue it's having under the hood is. It's acting like the alternator is bad, such that I have the battery hooked to a trickle charger while it's parked at home, but having pulled the alternator out (an adventure for a novice gearhead, to say the least) and taken it to AutoZone to have them check it, where they found that it's perfectly fine, leaves me wondering where the problem actually is. Compounding this is that after my initial attempt at figuring out what the problem was, about three weeks ago, the issue went away for about 700 miles' worth of driving, before coming back this week.

The battery is brand-new, and I've checked to make sure the fusible link between the alternator and starter is still intact. When parked, battery voltage is at roughly 12.7V; while running in my driveway, it's at 12.4V.

The B+ wire got somewhat twisted when I was removing it initially (it didn't want to let go of the bolt), but I think any issue there would have shown itself when I was testing for continuity between the B+ post and the starter through the fusible link.

At this point, I'm seriously afraid that what I'm looking at is a PCM replacement as I'm getting the sense that what I'm looking at is a faulty voltage regulator; is there anything that anyone might be able to think of that is worth checking before I pull the trigger on ordering that?

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Re: '00 Neon having charging/P0622 issues

Post by occasional demons » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:47 am

P0622 indicates generator control field circuit, so that sort of eliminates my initial thought of the AIT sensor not acting right, and you don't have a code for that, or didn't mention it if you did.

Is the field connector corroded at all?

The AIT sensor controls the charging rate, depending on ambient temperatures, so it doesn't charge too aggressively in summer heat, or high underhood temps. This is to protect the battery. So technically it is part of the field control circuit, just to toss that out there. But it is more indirectly than directly.

If the wiring test good from the field connector wire to the PCM (DG), and from the field connector to the ASD relay (DG/OR wire), then possibly try a new AIT sensor (In the inlet elbow for the air box).

If the Voltage Regulator in the PCM is bad, you can get away with wiring in an electronic VR from the 1970's/1980's cars. You may still have a CEL though. But it would be less expensive than replacing the PCM, especially if your car has SKIM.

If you search the web for "2000 neon FSM" you will find a link for the 2000 FSM. There is a link in that link to the wiring diagrams. :wink:

Edit:
https://www.backyardmechanic.org/how-to ... -chrysler/
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

HikariStarshine
Neon Enthusiast

Post by HikariStarshine » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:40 pm

occasional demons wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:47 am P0622 indicates generator control field circuit, so that sort of eliminates my initial thought of the AIT sensor not acting right, and you don't have a code for that, or didn't mention it if you did.
The only codes I currently have are the P0622 and a P1684 (which I'm reasonably certain is my own fault from, y'know... disconnecting the battery in order to work with the alternator). I had a P0340 as well, but replacing the camshaft position sensor fixed that right up.
Is this the little plug, as opposed to the B+ wire? I don't think it looked corroded when I was under there, though it was pretty grimy so if there was corrosion under the grime, I wouldn't necessarily have seen it.
The AIT sensor controls the charging rate, depending on ambient temperatures, so it doesn't charge too aggressively in summer heat, or high underhood temps. This is to protect the battery. So technically it is part of the field control circuit, just to toss that out there. But it is more indirectly than directly.

If the wiring test good from the field connector wire to the PCM (DG), and from the field connector to the ASD relay (DG/OR wire), then possibly try a new AIT sensor (In the inlet elbow for the air box).
So... this sounds like something I might need to be jacking up the car and checking from beneath again? I probably need to disconnect the little plug again for that, right?

If the Voltage Regulator in the PCM is bad, you can get away with wiring in an electronic VR from the 1970's/1980's cars. You may still have a CEL though. But it would be less expensive than replacing the PCM, especially if your car has SKIM.

If you search the web for "2000 neon FSM" you will find a link for the 2000 FSM. There is a link in that link to the wiring diagrams. :wink:

Edit:
https://www.backyardmechanic.org/how-to ... -chrysler/
I found a service bulletin that seems to imply that as long as a replacement computer is flashed with the VIN, it'll throw a P0633 error code for the SKIM issue but won't actually affect operations. Is that not something that's being seen in general? I... would kind of rather not be kludging something together if I can avoid it (especially if, as that link you provided suggests, I'm going to have to include some other extras in order to make sure that it doesn't drain the battery while the car's off).

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:01 pm

HikariStarshine wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:40 pm
Is this the little plug, as opposed to the B+ wire?
Yes

HikariStarshine wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:40 pmSo... this sounds like something I might need to be jacking up the car and checking from beneath again? I probably need to disconnect the little plug again for that, right?
You might be able to access the field connector from the top. It would be tight though. Getting it reconnected might be simpler from underneath. Unfortunately, access can be an issue when ohm'ing out circuits :sad:

HikariStarshine wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:40 pmI found a service bulletin that seems to imply that as long as a replacement computer is flashed with the VIN, it'll throw a P0633 error code for the SKIM issue but won't actually affect operations. Is that not something that's being seen in general? I... would kind of rather not be kludging something together if I can avoid it (especially if, as that link you provided suggests, I'm going to have to include some other extras in order to make sure that it doesn't drain the battery while the car's off).
There will be no drain, because you would be tying the center post into the DG/OR from the ASD relay. The power will shut off from the field, just like it does stock. Like said in the comments in that link, the alternator output side is a separate entity.

If you don't have SKIM (Black or plain metal key), there is no need to flash the VIN/SKIM into the replacement PCM. IF you do, then yes, any reman PCM seller will be able to make it plug and play.
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:08 pm

The only potential issue with 2000, is it is a one off year for the PCM. So availability will run out sooner than other years.

You could probably make it run with little effort with a 1997 to 1999 PCM, but the gauge cluster would not function. Possibly only the fuel gauge. Everything else is activated vie one wire from the PCM. (PCI Bus)

2001/2002 will not work, due to the different style IAC set up.
- Bill

HikariStarshine
Neon Enthusiast

Post by HikariStarshine » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:31 pm

OK. So that I know for if I do end up ordering a replacement computer... I noticed that the part number on the physical component's label is 05293022AN, but there's a small "Authorized Software Update" label attached to the chassis near the computer that says P/N: 05293022AO instead. Is that something I need to be worried about/aware of?

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:13 pm

"AO" is probably just the superceded number for "AN"

Software updates are fairly common, and really nothing to worry about. Basically it was updated to PN 5293022AO's specs.

If you were to look up 05293022AO on an online dealer site, it might not come up as a valid pn. Calling a dealer would definitely say it was invalid. I'm not sure why they add the zero at the beginning, other than originally to discourage the general public from searching for PN's outside of the dealer.

I have had some dealer parts counter folks go all Nazi on me, because I was providing part numbers for pricing/availability. The one guy was demanding to know where I got the PN's. (I have the Chrysler PDF, but I just told the idiot that I bought the parts in the past, and was going off the receipt, which does have the PN on it, at least they used to. Haven't bought much since FCA took over. This was in the Daimler era.

Maybe they were getting annoyed by employees leaking parts PDF's :dunno:
- Bill

HikariStarshine
Neon Enthusiast

Post by HikariStarshine » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:36 pm

Well... another day of wrenching, and I think I've firmly nailed down the problem as 'voltage regulator' now. Replaced the AIT sensor, replaced the pigtail on the alternator just on the off chance that that was the problem, tested all the continuity everywhere... and the problem failed to be solved.

So basically, I'm looking at having to decide between the computer or the external voltage regulator, I guess.

Bvolks1
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Bvolks1 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:34 pm

I had a similar problem a while ago.
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=422406
I was pretty sure it was the PCM, but tried one last alternator on it anyways. I've been driving it for a month or so with no troubles.

HikariStarshine
Neon Enthusiast

Post by HikariStarshine » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:26 pm

I just dropped a new computer in there, and trying to get it to let me start the car now. Hoping that this will turn out to be the issue...

Of course, if I still get the P0622 with the new computer in there, I just drop the old one back in and I've already been told by AutoZone that I can return this for a refund.

Looking at the computer a little sideways, though; the one I pulled out is a 3022AO, and the one they gave me in return is a 3022AC. Hoping that's not a problem.

alpinegreenneon
Super Moderator

Post by alpinegreenneon » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:37 pm

The last two letters are revision codes. AO is a much newer version than AC. The revision probably has nothing to do with the voltage regulator hardware in the PCM.
Have you checked voltage at the alternator stud while it's running? It should be at least 13.5 volts there.
Case

98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
98 Sport Coupe DOHC Amethyst ATX to MTX swap
95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
03 Dakota QC 4.7 4x4 ATX Patriot Blue stock (Sold)
16 Dart SE 2.0L Laser Blue Pearl stock
16 Dart SXT 2.0L TorRed stock
18 Ram 1500 standard cab 3.6L Delmonico Red stock

HikariStarshine
Neon Enthusiast

Post by HikariStarshine » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:00 pm

Well, I do need to get it running first.

I think I botched something and the SKIM decided to say hi. That or the replacement computer had the wrong VIN programmed in, which... would be decidedly vexacious, given everything. We'll see what happens after the car sits for fifteen minutes without the battery hooked up in an attempt to 'reset' it...

Where should I be checking voltage on the alternator stud? I mean, the stud, obviously, but where should I have the other contact? I mean, it connects to B+ so presumably... battery positive? I assume I don't want to check against ground, right?

alpinegreenneon
Super Moderator

Post by alpinegreenneon » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:15 pm

The stud obviously is the positive side, so any ground for the other probe of your multimeter. If you don't have 13.5 volts there, it's the alternator or the voltage regulator. If you do have 13.5 volts there, fusible link wiring or the battery isn't holding the charge.
Case

98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
98 Sport Coupe DOHC Amethyst ATX to MTX swap
95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
03 Dakota QC 4.7 4x4 ATX Patriot Blue stock (Sold)
16 Dart SE 2.0L Laser Blue Pearl stock
16 Dart SXT 2.0L TorRed stock
18 Ram 1500 standard cab 3.6L Delmonico Red stock

HikariStarshine
Neon Enthusiast

Post by HikariStarshine » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:00 pm

Aah, yeah, I think I'm past that phase of testing this thing out.

The new used PCM is definitely making the SKIM very, very unhappy; I think maybe they didn't clear everything properly when it was being programmed. That or they didn't get the VIN in there correctly. Either way, I'm not making the car move at all when it's in there; it's not even trying to turn over the engine. At least the old PCM let me do that.

I might need to go ahead and give the alternator another check here when I have some access to a safe wrenching place (sloped gravel driveway feels like a poor choice of location to jack up the car, after all). I'm kind of determined to get this thing running properly again, dang it!

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:15 am

If the round light in the instrument cluster is lit, then the SKIM is definitely activated.

Since you got it at AutoZone, did they program the VIN/SKIM there/or ask for VIN when ordered?

If they just handed you a PCM, then it is locked down, and nothing short of a DRB scan tool will unlock it.

The only way for the general public to unlock a PCM, is if you have tried to start it multiple times with the wrong key, and it locks out the starter. Then you can hook up a battery charger, and leave it keyed on to "Run" for an hour or so. With the correct key. Only then it should reset. But if the PCM is not programmed to your SKIM code, it will not work with the above method.

But that is the only circumstance I know of that it can be reset. Otherwise, once a non SKIM PCM sees the SKIM signal, it becomes a SKIM PCM, and there is no code for it, so unless it is professionally unlocked, it becomes a doorstop.

My advice when trying a different PCM, on 2000 through 2002 cars, is to unplug the SKIM module in the steering column, then install the PCM and see if it fires up and stays running. Only try it twice at the most. If it will not fire, then plug in the SKIM, provided the only thing that was done was remove and install the PCM/battery cable.

If it runs without the SKIM, never ever reconnect the SKIM with that PCM.

FWIW, non SKIM PCM cars do not need the VIN flashed. All non SKIM, correct model year/transaxle PCM's are plug and play. 2001/2002 MTX are compatible, but the ATX PCM's must match the car. There are some other minor details, but for the purpose of this thread, not important.

I mistakenly used the wrong key on my daughter's 300M and it locked out even at two attempts. But thankfully using the correct key, it cranked and fired right up. I didn't have to go through the hour long reset procedure. But if you keep trying, it will go into hard lock down.
- Bill

HikariStarshine
Neon Enthusiast

Post by HikariStarshine » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:59 pm

Well, here's some new developments...

The computer has been returned; I was asked for the VIN when I ordered it, so it wasn't programmed in-store and it couldn't be fixed that way. I have the SKIM code (I think) from the sale documents for the car, so presumably I would've been able to maybe set it up if I was getting it programmed live? Alas. However, replacing the alternator has successfully sorted out the P0622 issue.

It has not fully sorted out the problem, however.

The car went two days without any issues, but then the battery light came on again today when I had to drive with the headlights on (thanks, rain!). Thankfully, it's not throwing P0622 again. Instead, I now have P1682.

So... what does this mean? Did I hook something up improperly when I was putting the new alternator in?

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:06 pm

Not much to connect incorrectly. Is the belt tight enough?

P1682 is "Voltage too low".

If the belt is tight, check the actual voltage if you have a multimeter. If it is not maintaining voltage with the headlights or other load, above idle, then the replacement alternator may be bad.

At idle, it may dip below 12.5 volts, with a heavy electrical load, but that is fairly normal, and probably wouldn't set a code.

If I were to get a replacement alternator, I would get a 2005 spec alternator. They are 120 amp units, and a bolt in.
- Bill

HikariStarshine
Neon Enthusiast

Post by HikariStarshine » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:39 pm

I did notice while I was driving that when I turned the headlights on, the odometer and clock/radio lights went so dim I could barely see them. I'll get out there with my multimeter once the rain stops (no covered workspace at home, alas) and see what the voltage is doing.

I thought the belt was tight enough (it's roughly the same 'tightness' as the other belt) but I don't really know how to test that other than just pressing on it to check the tension that way.

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:29 am

Normally a new belt will squeal a bit on start up if it is not tight enough. A used one might not.

It is easy to over tighten these, so I usually err on the looser side, and adjust as needed until it does not squeal when started. Obviously you don't want to start where it squeals for 2 minutes and then eventually stops, like you occasionally hear at Walmart. Or my neighbor...

I'm sure there is some deflection spec, but getting in there to make an accurate measurement is another matter.

You may have to tap into the PCM side of the field control circuit, and see what voltage to ground is on that wire when it is running, and the battery at least 12.5 volts or better.

If it is near battery voltage, and not making at least 13 volts with the lights on, then the alternator probably is not functioning correctly. If the field control voltage is significantly lower, then the PCM is probably not sending enough current through the alternator field.

Not perfect, but at least you will have some idea.

A bad IAT sensor could be telling the PCM not to charge at full rate, because it is falsely telling the PCM that the temperature is too high.

If the IAT sensor is unplugged, it should default to around 12.5 to 13 volts and stay there. You will get a battery light, and a CEL, but everything will otherwise seem normal.
- Bill

HikariStarshine
Neon Enthusiast

Re: '00 Neon having potential charging/P1682 issues

Post by HikariStarshine » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:20 pm

I replaced the IAT sensor during the previous round of repair work (when I fixed the camshaft position sensor), so that shouldn't be bad. I did not, however, replace the belt, as I was trying not to have to deal with the water pump belt while I was in there. It's possible that's the problem, in which case, I'll sort that out the next time I'm jacking up the car (which will be trying to find the power steering fluid leak I discovered after the last time).

I just went out and played with it a little, tried loosening/tightening things a little and didn't see any change in behavior, though admittedly it's a lot harder to adjust the alternator belt tension when the wheel's still on the car and it's on the ground than when the wheel's off and it's jacked up, and I don't know how far I actually loosened it when I was doing that. The belt is definitely running when the car's on, though. I'll try to give it a more thorough loosening a bit later, and see if that's the issue. The behavior as it currently stands is:

With nothing turned on in the car, the battery hangs out at 12.7v.

When I start the car, no headlights or anything, just idling in the driveway, the voltage starts out around 13.5v, slowly drops to about 12.5v, then climbs back up.

When I turn on the headlights, the voltage (no matter where it started) drops slowly down to about 12.18v, then appears to have a *very* slow drain from there; I stopped the experiment when it was at 12.14v.

At no point during this process did the battery light turn on, but I also wasn't actively driving, so it wasn't a 'normal' work load.

If I turn on the lights and allow the voltage to drop as far as 12.2v, then when I turn them back off, the voltage seems to get stuck at around 12.35v, even if I cut the engine and re-start it. I have to give it at least five minutes of sitting, off, before I'll get the previous 13.5v behavior.

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:19 pm

The belt being too tight won't cause any charging issues, it will just put undue load on the crank bearing, and the alternator bearing.

Just note though....The water pump is driven off the timing belt. The outer belt is for the power steering, and air conditioning if equipped. :wink:

I know the old school V belts had a tendency to glaze, and no matter how tight they were, the belt would silently slip. I haven't seen this on the poly belts, but anything is possible.

Either the belt is slipping, or there is an issue with the alternator/voltage regulator.

It can't hurt to double check every ground wire under the hood either. Also make sure every fastener on the alternator is tight, because that is the ground path to the engine block, and then from the block to the battery. if there is a poor connection on any of that, the current can't get to the battery/chassis ground.

The PCM uses the chassis ground as it's ground path. Without a solid ground, it cannot control the pulse with modulation to regulate the voltage. There are multiple grounds under the hood. if any of them are loose/corroded, it can cause oddball stuff to happen, even if it seems it shouldn't.
- Bill

HikariStarshine
Neon Enthusiast

Post by HikariStarshine » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:32 pm

OK, so it sounds like my next step ought to be replacing that belt, then? I can do that, certainly. I'm not sure how old the belt is; it's not OEM, I don't think (it has NAPA logos on it), but I don't remember that I've ever replaced it and I've been the primary driver of this car since 2010 or so.

The only ground that I think I noticed as an issue is that there's one running from the front passenger wheel to the chassis that had the ring connector on it get broken off the end at some point. I'll replace the ring connector next time I'm under the car, too.

HikariStarshine
Neon Enthusiast

Post by HikariStarshine » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:42 pm

Aaaaaand the belt didn't fix the problem. Drat it.

*sigh*

I fixed the severed ground on the passenger wheel, replaced the alternator belt (the old one was definitely looking a bit shiny), replaced the valve cover gasket (yay, fixed my oil leak!), had one of the valve cover bolts shear off on me at around 7 N*m while I was putting it back on (which I guess means it was already bad, given that those are supposed to be tightened to 12 N*m; I need to swing by the junkyard to get a replacement for it, once I get the half a bolt that's stuck in the block out, as none of the local 'new' parts places had anything that would function as a replacement), grumbled at the battery light coming back on when I was a mile down the road after leaving...

And then wound up stranded halfway home when the headlights made the battery drain too quickly to make it all the way back from my wrenching space, and had to have my dad make an emergency battery delivery for me. :|

I think I'm just about at the point of just giving up on figuring out where exactly the problem here is, on my own at least, and taking it to a professional mechanic to see if they can find the source.

... When you said to get a 2005 spec alternator, and it's 120 amps rather than 85 (which I guess means it's the SXT version and not the SE, right?)... Is the 2000's electrical system that's expecting 85-amp going to be happy with that? I guess I'm a little worried that it might fry the computer or something if I tried dropping one of those in there on the off chance that the 'new' alternator is still the problem.

Bvolks1
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Bvolks1 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:04 am

Is yours automatic? Mine would drop into 2nd gear when the voltage dropped to a certain point. I can't imagine it being good for it going into 2nd gear suddenly when you're going 80 or 90 km/h trying to get home before the battery goes dead like mine did.

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:55 am

A lot of people have upgraded to the 2005 alternator, with just bolting it in. I would maybe upgrade the output wire between the alternator and the starter from an '05 also, if they are in fact a different part. That would be the only part that might not like the added max amperage out put.

The only time it will make a difference is charging a heavily drained battery, or if there are things added to the elecrtical system that would require more electrical load. Otherwise, the current draw will be similar to the 85 amp alternator, as it is only going to put out what is demanded of it during normal use.

The current may be a bit more, simply because the alternator will be able to provide more.

When I had a belt glaze years ago on my dad's Omni, I was traveling on a 3 hour long trip. Fortunately I was traveling with another car, as it was night time.

About an hour and a half in, the voltage dropped low enough that the engine shut off. I flashed the lights to let the car in front know I was having issues. Each time I shut the headlights off, the engine re fired.

Okay...

So I left all the lights off, and got on his bumper, and we put the pedal to the metal. Went by a State Patrol sitting beside the road, and I don't know if he didn't see us or what, but he never budged. :dance:

We made it about 15 miles to where we needed to be, and luckily we had a tow rope to get it the rest of the way. The next day, it got a fresh belt, and all was good.
- Bill

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:05 am

Bvolks1 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:04 am Is yours automatic? Mine would drop into 2nd gear when the voltage dropped to a certain point. I can't imagine it being good for it going into 2nd gear suddenly when you're going 80 or 90 km/h trying to get home before the battery goes dead like mine did.
A 2000 would not change gears, because the 31th is not electronically controlled like the 41te.

The Omni also had the A413/31th. If it hadn't, I would have never made it.

The nice thing with at least the 31th, is as long as the car is at speed, if it is left in gear, it keeps the engine spinning. This has saved my butt a few times. I used this feature to cool the engine coasting down hills when the radiator hose blew a hole in it. Key on to go up the hill, key off to coast down in gear. It actually worked pretty well. Probably didn't do much for the cylinder walls, being of the days before fuel injection, but it was only about 10 hilly miles, and got me to a gas station, where I was able to tape up the hose, and get some water in it. It didn't even erupt steam or anything pouring water in.

I was able to limp it home without further issue.
- Bill

HikariStarshine
Neon Enthusiast

Post by HikariStarshine » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:36 pm

OK, so is "bolt in" meaning that it fits into the same space/connections, or is this having to bodge something in place? I think I'm going to try swapping out the first replacement alternator and see if a second one sorts out the issue.

I drive a manual; what I've seen happening as I'm driving with headlights on is that the console slowly dims as I'm driving, then about a mile before it's going to die on me the airbag light comes on. From that point, I rapidly get to 'turn signals fail to work', 'headlights go out', and if I don't turn off the headlights so I have a little power to work with, the whole thing dies on me. If I turn off the headlights, I have power steering (but no turn signals still) long enough to come to a controlled park.

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:59 pm

Have you checked the cable from the battery (+) to the PDC? (Underhood fuse/relay box)

If that cable and/or the (+) battery cable is corroded, the alternator may be okay, but the power to everything else might be fading.

The only thing that that smaller cable to the PDC does not power is the starter. Everything else goes through the PDC.

The "Tee" in the positive cable has been known to corrode.
- Bill

HikariStarshine
Neon Enthusiast

Post by HikariStarshine » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:11 pm

I did check that cable, a couple of times now.

I yanked the alternator out and swapped in an '05 SXT one, today, and also replaced the serpentine belt. Tentatively hopeful; the battery light didn't come on again on my way home and when I tested voltage while idling, with the headlights on, I got 14.2V, plus the P1682 code is gone, so... I think I've got it licked this time.

Also did a *lot* of cleaning under there. Ordered a replacement valve cover bolt, too, so that I can replace the busted one. Good thing, too, as that spot on the cover is leaking oil after today's driving.

New question as part of this adventure:
While I was doing the cleaning, I noticed this underneath the battery holder. Not sure what system it's part of, so I don't know where to look in the FSM to find if it's as it should be, but it strikes me as... questionable? What is this?

wae
Neon Enthusiast

Post by wae » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:51 am

Those are the shifter cables which are missing their bushings. Get yourself a set of Booger Bushings and it'll be fixed forever and give the shifter a better-than-new feel.

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:33 am

- Bill

HikariStarshine
Neon Enthusiast

Post by HikariStarshine » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:27 pm

OK, that's neat. It looks from the service manual like there might not have actually been bushings in there at all, originally... probably explains a lot; I often have to double-shift to get into reverse gear, and I asked the car's original primary driver about it today and was told that it had acted like that from day one.

Ordered a set of those, for sure. :)

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:47 am

The factory bushings are soft rubber, that has little holes all the way around the center hole, allowng them a lot of give. The ones in the console are about the same. When those fail, you will be lucky to shift at all.

To get the console out, you need to pull the parking brake lever as high up as you can get it, then remove all the screws, and lift it off the brake handle.

The Boogers can be a bit difficult to install on the shifter, but it is doable with some channel locks or pliers.

I did not do the shifter bushings right away, just the ones that were gone under the hood.

One day coming home from work, the shifter got really loose, and I couldn't get it to go into any gear. I coasted it into a convenience store parking lot, and use the stubby screwdriver I keep in the console to take the console out. I had to use my fingers to keep the cable on the shift lever to get it the rest of the way home. Fortunately, that was only a couple miles.

It pays to keep a few basic hand tools in the car, just for instances like that. :good:
- Bill

Return to “2nd Gen”