Connecting Rod Orientation 2005 2.0L

The 2nd Gen Board is for general questions regarding the second generation of Neons (2000 - current.) Rumors, hints, tips-and- tricks, and all general maintenance and repair questions belong in this forum, as well as beginning modification queries.
Mooseman450
New

Connecting Rod Orientation 2005 2.0L

Post by Mooseman450 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:24 pm

Hi There, I am rebuilding my 2005 Neon's 2.0 L engine. When I took the pistons out of the engine i just expected there to be some indintation on the top of the piston as to the direction that they go back in. I was wrong. I cannot see or find find anything telling me specifically as to how the rods need to be orientated in the engine. I have not removed the pistons from the rods, but I need to KNOW that I am doing it right. I have taken a photo of the Rods and if anyone can assist me, I would appreciate it. I have a MOPAR shop manual and all they stress is that the lettering on the top of the piston, L, H, or S has to be nearest the front of the engine, it gives no indication regarding the Connecting Rod. There are two flat nobs on one side of the rods, does that go to the front (Timing belt) of the engine or the rearof the engine.

How do you insert pictures it will make it easier to explain the flat nobs

Mooseman450
New

Re: Connecting Rod Orientation 2005 2.0L

Post by Mooseman450 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:25 am

I know I am answering my own question, but after doing some digging and finding a Mopar Neon Repair manual, I have found the answer, so here goes. It states that when you remove the piston from the 2.0 liter engine block, ensure you mark which rod and piston assembly goes in which cylinder. After the pistons have been cleaned and prepped you need to identify the stamping marks on the piston top so that you can align the ring gaps accordingly to the manual guideline (Basically 90 degrees from each other and the expanders gap aligns with the #2 compression ring.)
There will be either a directional arrow (very hard to see on my pistons) or a weight identification for the assembly ( also hard to see). L is for light, H is for heavy. These piston assemblies should all be the same weight class, either light or heavy but not mixed. Service piston assemblies are marked with a S and can be used for either L or H production assemblies. The weight identification stamps and arrows should face towards the timing belt side of the engine. My pistons had both an arrow and weight designation of L, again they are really hard to see, and you have to clean them pretty good, but not to good, or you could remove the identifications.
One other point I would like to make, is in another thread a fellow said that there is an F on one side of the piston and it goes closest to the timing chain side of the engine, my pistons had that F, and the F is on the same side as the arrow, so it agrees with his thread. I couldn't find anything in the Mopar manual indicating how to install the connecting rods to the piston. I hope this helps someone at sometime with their 2.0 later rebuild.

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Re: Connecting Rod Orientation 2005 2.0L

Post by occasional demons » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:23 am

The connecting rod procedure is probably not explained in the FSM because Chrysler only sold the pistons and rods as an assy.

Edit:
And most likely, only the assembly would be replaced under warranty work in the dealership. The added labor to just replace either a rod or piston, would probably make it just as expensive as replacing both as a unit. The FSM is a great tool, but it does limit itself to only what a dealer would do as far as repairs. Another example: You'll also not find any info on replacing inner tie rods in the steering rack, because Chrysler only sold complete steering racks for the neon. :wink:

I'm not 100% sure that the orentation is critical, as 2.0 DOHC pistons (with valve reliefs) can be spun around to accommodate the 420A configuration.

But the wrist pins are a press fit in the rod end. You'll need to properly support the pistons to push the wrist pins out and in. And be sure they are centered...

Not that you had planned on going that far, or maybe you were.
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

Return to “2nd Gen”