31TH Band Adjustments?

The 2nd Gen Board is for general questions regarding the second generation of Neons (2000 - current.) Rumors, hints, tips-and- tricks, and all general maintenance and repair questions belong in this forum, as well as beginning modification queries.
booter2004
Neon Enthusiast

31TH Band Adjustments?

Post by booter2004 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:51 pm

I finally got around to changing the fluid and filter on my 01 neon with the 3 speed automatic, it's at 106k miles. The fluid and filter change went well, with no problems. I didn't make any band adjustments bc I found a few people in the forums who suggest leaving it alone. What do ya'll think? Do the bands need to be adjusted? Or, only if there's problems?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Last edited by booter2004 on Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NickKo
Global Moderator

Re: 31TH Band Adjustments?

Post by NickKo » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:59 am

I just did this last weekend, on a 2001 ATX.
Yes -- It is a very good idea, to adjust the bands with every fluid and filter change. The Factory Service Manual recommends this.
To make the transmission last the life of the car, and avoid premature wear & failure -- Yes, adjust the bands.

The 'kickdown' band can be adjusted from outside the trans, so it is easier to get to.
The 1st gear / reverse band can only be adjusted, when the trans pan is removed.

The 'old school' of thought (back in the '70's / '80's) was that transmission band adjustments were not needed, and not required, as part of 'maintenance'.
But, that was back then.... On older Torqueflite 904's and 727's, etc.
HOWEVER.... The 31TH was designed, with regular maintenance and band adjustment required.
I think that people are confusing the recommendations on the 'older' transmissions, with the newer 31TH.
It's not like in the old days of the '70's, when everybody ran the same old transmission fluid (and filter) in the transmission, for the life of the car.
Yes, this was the accepted normal practice.... Back then.

It would not hurt -- And it would be a good idea -- To drain it and pull the pan, and do it the 'right' way, and perform the band adjustments.

* * I highly recommend using the Gray RTV to seal up the ATX trans pan, when the fluid change and band adjustment is done. * *
I finally tried it for the first time last week, after reading 'Jimbo from MI''s very positive recommendation of the Gray RTV. It is specifically made for this kind of application in mind.... The Automatic Transmission fluid pan. I thought, why not try it next time.
Previously, I have always used gaskets. They never sealed 'perfectly'. There were always drips, weepage, leakage, etc. ..... And this was after sealing the gaskets with 'High Tack' (another wonderful product.)

I am happy to report that I have ZERO drips or weepage from the trans pan after using the Gray RTV. :smile: I am a committed Gray RTV user for life now !!

- Nick

P.S. Special Thanks to Jimbo, for his recommendations on the Gray RTV.
I can't believe I never tried this product sooner, it is Awesome !! :yes:
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 52mm TB; Maddog STS
-1999 4-dr DOHC ATX= went to car heaven (junkyard)
-2000 Ply.LX with MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; R/T muffler + Header
-2001 Ddg.ES ATX = UDP, Magnum Header; + Syked PCM 'pending'

-1971 Ply.Scamp SL6cyl. ('Horse Traded' away)
-1968 Chry.300 w/440 V8 (sold)
"MoPar or No Car"

booter2004
Neon Enthusiast

Post by booter2004 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:38 pm

As for sealing it up, I always use "the right stuff". Every time I have used a gasket, it has leaked; unless it was a factory gasket. Every time I have used "the right stuff", it has sealed on the first try. I would recommend it to anyone.

MichNeon
Global Moderator

Post by MichNeon » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:28 pm

booter2004 wrote:I finally got around to changing the fluid and filter on my 01 neon with the 3 speed automatic, it's at 106k miles. The fluid and filter change went well, with no problems. I didn't make any band adjustments bc I found a few people in the forums who suggest leaving it alone. What do ya'll think? Do the bands need to be adjusted? Or, only if there's problems?

The reason they say to leave it alone, besides the reason Nickko mentioned about maintenance, is that if you don't know what you're doing, you could cause some expensive damage to the trans. But, with some research, you can do it, the procedures have been written about many times, and it's not that hard to do. Granted, the first/reverse band is a little tougher to get to, but when doing a fluid and filter change, it is a good time to do it.
Lacking an inch pound wrench, snug it up, then loosen it the required number of turns. That will put the adjustment in the ballpark enough for the trans to shift properly.
Regarding the rtv, i love using it, as it does seal better than gaskets. The trick is to not goop it on, but also not to put too little on there, too.
Most engines, trans, and diffs are sealed with rtv from the factory these days.
Make sure that the rtv you pick up is rated for what you're using it on. For trans, it has to be atf compatible, and will say so on the tube. There's also a gray rtv used on diff assemblies, for the cover, it has to be compatible with the gear oil used in the diff assemblies. It will also say on the tube.
1995 Sport Sedan (The Frog), 2.0L sohc/atx, Bone Stock Canadian model, Belvidere built 4/94, 203,220 miles (327,052 kms) as of 01/30/16. Given to my brother. Sold, 07/01/2016. Was told it went to the junkyard in 2018, with more than 300,000 miles on it.
2004 R/T, Bone stock, 2.0L Magnum/mtx, Belvidere built 11/03, 246,157 miles as of 10/20/20, My current DD.
36 year Chrysler Tech.

nadarotty
Neon Enthusiast

Post by nadarotty » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:59 pm

NickKo wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:59 am I just did this last weekend, on a 2001 ATX.
Yes -- It is a very good idea, to adjust the bands with every fluid and filter change. The Factory Service Manual recommends this.
To make the transmission last the life of the car, and avoid premature wear & failure -- Yes, adjust the bands.

The 'kickdown' band can be adjusted from outside the trans, so it is easier to get to.
The 1st gear / reverse band can only be adjusted, when the trans pan is removed.

The 'old school' of thought (back in the '70's / '80's) was that transmission band adjustments were not needed, and not required, as part of 'maintenance'.
But, that was back then.... On older Torqueflite 904's and 727's, etc.
HOWEVER.... The 31TH was designed, with regular maintenance and band adjustment required.
I think that people are confusing the recommendations on the 'older' transmissions, with the newer 31TH.
It's not like in the old days of the '70's, when everybody ran the same old transmission fluid (and filter) in the transmission, for the life of the car.
Yes, this was the accepted normal practice.... Back then.

It would not hurt -- And it would be a good idea -- To drain it and pull the pan, and do it the 'right' way, and perform the band adjustments.

* * I highly recommend using the Gray RTV to seal up the ATX trans pan, when the fluid change and band adjustment is done. * *
I finally tried it for the first time last week, after reading 'Jimbo from MI''s very positive recommendation of the Gray RTV. It is specifically made for this kind of application in mind.... The Automatic Transmission fluid pan. I thought, why not try it next time.
Previously, I have always used gaskets. They never sealed 'perfectly'. There were always drips, weepage, leakage, etc. ..... And this was after sealing the gaskets with 'High Tack' (another wonderful product.)

I am happy to report that I have ZERO drips or weepage from the trans pan after using the Gray RTV. :smile: I am a committed Gray RTV user for life now !!

- Nick

P.S. Special Thanks to Jimbo, for his recommendations on the Gray RTV.
I can't believe I never tried this product sooner, it is Awesome !! :yes:

Could you please tell me how to adjust the 'kickdown' band, What is the steps ?

NickKo
Global Moderator

Post by NickKo » Sat May 05, 2018 7:59 am

nadarotty wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:59 pm
Could you please tell me how to adjust the 'kickdown' band, What is the steps ?
KICKDOWN BAND
The kickdown band adjusting screw is located on
left side (top front) of the transaxle case.
(1) Loosen locknut and back–off nut approximately
five turns. Test adjusting screw for free turning in
the transaxle case.
(2) Using wrench, tighten adjusting screw to 8
N·m (72 in. lbs.).
(3) Back–off adjusting screw 2 1/4 turns. Hold adjusting screw in this
position and tighten locknut to 47 N·m (35ft. lbs.)

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 52mm TB; Maddog STS
-1999 4-dr DOHC ATX= went to car heaven (junkyard)
-2000 Ply.LX with MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; R/T muffler + Header
-2001 Ddg.ES ATX = UDP, Magnum Header; + Syked PCM 'pending'

-1971 Ply.Scamp SL6cyl. ('Horse Traded' away)
-1968 Chry.300 w/440 V8 (sold)
"MoPar or No Car"

Return to “2nd Gen”