My '99 Forest Green Plymouth Expresso Coupe DD

Tell your story about your personal project. Put together something no one else has? Show it off here with pictures and details! Project Logs are allowed within reason. Non Neon projects may be deleted at the Moderators whim. HINT: Keep it about Neons.
occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Re: My '99 Forest Green Plymouth Expresso Coupe DD

Post by occasional demons » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:02 am

Maybe try a different paint, if the adhesion promoter doesn't do it. Then paint over that paint. As long as the top layer is more resistant to the elements, it should be okay, other than possibly the impact of UV light.
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:34 pm

Well, the adhesion promoter didn't work. Looks like I get to sand them down AGAIN (3rd time) and need to try a different paint. This is getting frustrating. I wish they still made these stupid clear lens headlights. TYC/Depo still makes the turn signals (or at least they're still available.)

Jay
Black '97 Plymouth ACR coupe (Bought new...sold in 2005)
White '97 Dodge ACR Coupe (Stolen 2 weeks after I bought it, 2007)
Red '98 Dodge R/T Sunroof Coupe (Sold in 2009)
Green '99 Plymouth Expresso Coupe (Manual swapped...purchased 12/19)
(I only buy manual 1gn Neon coupes, lol)

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:00 pm

OK. I ordered some Spray Max 2k Glamour High Gloss Clear spray paint. I've used it before. On plastic. It worked great and was extremely shiny. It was supposed to come on Tues, but according to Amazon, it should be here by 9:00 tonight (1 min to go, lol).

Guess I'll wet sand them out AGAIN and give it a shot. Wish me luck.

Jay

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:37 am

97acrcoupe wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:00 pm Guess I'll wet sand them out AGAIN and give it a shot. Wish me luck.
Good luck..... :good:
My True Story:
My older sister/husband sent me a selfie of them taking a test ride in a newer Corvette. They posted, "Going for a joy ride in our "dream car"
I immediately posted back......" Why dream small, I can put you in the driver's seat of a neon for a fraction of the price".......

U-Pulls are like a box of Chocolates.......you never know what you're going to find...... ;)

Oldest GUY on the .ORG with an ACR, a NYG, AND a R/T

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:20 pm

Went to the JY today, and the white Sport I got the door panels off of, had been stripped of it's interior. Front and rear seats, side panels, carpet, console, rear deck, seat belts...everything but the dash. I grabbed the A/C compressor, both lines for it, well everything but the accumulator in the engine bay. I also got the good fog lights off of it. I found a really nice set of Chrysler floor mats out of a 2001 a couple rows over. Should work well since I have the 2gn console...too bad they don't have the "Neon" stitched on the sides.

Jay

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:21 am

97acrcoupe wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:20 pm Went to the JY today
I'd love to hit up the PA yards one more time before winter. I have a strong feeling there aren't going to be very many 1st GNs around in the future.
My True Story:
My older sister/husband sent me a selfie of them taking a test ride in a newer Corvette. They posted, "Going for a joy ride in our "dream car"
I immediately posted back......" Why dream small, I can put you in the driver's seat of a neon for a fraction of the price".......

U-Pulls are like a box of Chocolates.......you never know what you're going to find...... ;)

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:18 am

Yeah, they're getting harder to find. The yard I went to had 4 like 2 months ago, a week later they were all gone. Probably only in the yard a couple of weeks. The one I've been grabbing parts off is a low mileage DOHC car, I kinda want the engine as a backup.

Jay

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:20 pm

I'm on vacation this week, so I hit up some junkyards today. I got a nice passenger side "Neon" logo floor mat ($.99)
DOHC cam gears (stock) but not rusty like mine. PO left the outer timing cover off.

The third yard I hit had 2 1st gens. One is a base model (no power anything, no squiggly seats, no cruise) '99 R/T coupe. I grabbed the painted door handles and the Iceman intake tube lying on top of the motor. I was going to grab the rear disc setup (no rear sway bar to be seen), but I was running out of time. Was thinking of running back down tomorrow, but they were pretty rusty, so I don't know if it's worth it if I'd have to replace the backing plates anyway.
I got one of the calipers off easily, so even tho they look bad, they might be ok.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jMVLA5]Image

At one of the other yards I stopped at, in order to get the rear cam gear, I ended up having to cut the inner timing cover, and remove the cam from the head so I could use my impact. I felt very bad. The head looked great and the timing belt wasn't broken. The cluster (which is gone now) said 51k miles.

From looking on Rockauto and cross referencing the backing plates they are also found on several other cars that I see frequently at the yard. PT cruisers, 300M, Caravans and Voyagers (1997 only, apparently) etc.

Jay

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:46 pm

97acrcoupe wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:20 pm I grabbed the painted door handles and the Iceman intake tube lying on top of the motor. I was going to grab the rear disc setup (no rear sway bar to be seen), but I was running out of time. Was thinking of running back down tomorrow, but they were pretty rusty, so I don't know if it's worth it if I'd have to replace the backing plates anyway.
Did the R/T by any chance still have the grille. I need one for my black R/T. I'll gladly pay you for the price of the grille (usually less than $10), admission, shipping and a few bucks for gas if you can help me out. That leather steering wheel looks pretty nice, too. They only charge $10 for them around here in PA. If it's in nice condition and you don't want it, I'll take it, too.
My True Story:

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:05 pm

I'll look for the grill. I didn't pay attention when I was there. The car is not in great shape. The steering wheel is not in good shape. A friend just picked up a '99 that he needs some parts off this one for. I bought a couple of Sebring Convertible steering wheels a while back for $7 a piece. I'm going to order a hyde of perforated leather, and I ordered some almost NYG thread to do the stitching. It should match my shift knob pretty well. My GF is going to do it eventually. I have some blue leather from a customer's car that she wants to practice on first.

I told her she could probably make some money redoing these if it works out, but she's not interested in doing them for anyone else.

Jay

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:38 pm

97acrcoupe wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:05 pm I'm going to order a hyde of perforated leather, and I ordered some almost NYG thread to do the stitching. It should match my shift knob pretty well. My GF is going to do it eventually. I have some blue leather from a customer's car that she wants to practice on first.

I told her she could probably make some money redoing these if it works out, but she's not interested in doing them for anyone else.
I'd really appreciate it if you can grab the grille depending on if it's still there...... :good:

I re-wrapped a 95 wheel last winter. I had never worked with leather before to do any projects. I watched several good YouTube videos which were very helpful......especially where you join the pieces together. The 95 wheels had 3 pieces. I thought you would just cut 3 straight sections and sew them together........ :nea:

There is a special way you have to cut them....the cut on the ends depend on the circumference of the wheel. Since the inside and outside of the wheel are slightly different circumferences, you have to use math to determine how to cut them...the videos do a good job of explaining it. One of the toughest things is punching the holes where you sew along the inside of the wheel. If it is punched too close to the seam, the leather will tear through when you pull the thread tight......punched too far from the seam and the two pieces of leather will not draw together to make a nice seam. I can't believe I only made one hole too close and the thread pulled right through the leather. It's almost impossible to see, but I know it's there.
My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:57 pm

97acrcoupe wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:05 pm I'm going to order a hyde of perforated leather, and I ordered some almost NYG thread to do the stitching. It should match my shift knob pretty well. My GF is going to do it eventually.
I would also advise you buy a special kind of thread. I bought a spool of NYG regular thread and it was just like the thread used for clothing. The kind needed to do a steering wheel is wax coated. The wax makes the thread seem a little stiff and when you draw it tight (I did the baseball stitch) it stays tight. A regular thread might pull back loose when making the next stitch......not sure why they recommend this kind of thread, but I'm guessing this is one of the reasons. I actually order a pre-made cover from this place...
https://wheelskins.com/

You get the cover, needle, and a small spool of thread (enough to do one wheel). You need 2 needles to stitch up the wheel. This company offers an additional needle and spool of thread for free if you run out, so I ordered it. I then had enough thread and 2 needles to do the job. I didn't like the kit because it just overlaps the steering wheel spokes rather than tucking under airbag/back plastic cover like the OEM wheel. I then bought a small piece of leather hyde. I found a nice piece on a remnants table and saved a ton of money.....leather isn't cheap. I lucked out....there was a chain leather store about an hour from my house...called Tandy Leather
My True Story:

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:43 am

I noticed in one of the previous pics that the grill isn't there. I'll look and see if it's in the car or something, but my guess (judging by how things were removed in the engine bay) that it's probably broken.
Also, grilles at this yard are made of gold, apparently. $12.99! lol

I watched several videos as well. And talked to FB friends who do auto upholstery and stuff. I ordered the thread from Relicate Leather. I've bought a few leather wrapped wheels and took the nicest one apart carefully for patterns.
My gf is way better at sewing than I am, so I'm going to leave it to her. I also picked up needles and a water based (IIRC) glue so that the leather doesn't rotate on the wheel. I have JUST enough leather leftover from a customer project to let her have a go at it before I spend upwards of $150 on a leather hyde.

*edit* just went back and re read one of your other posts. I got my needles from Tandy Leather.

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:54 am

LOL, at the coolant overflow bottle being sawed off to get to (assuming) the A/C bolts. The factory bottle and the PS reservoir location makes getting to anything in that corner a PITA.

Doing the 2gn PS pump, and using a Honda overflow made adjusting the alternator, and replacing the crank sensor a breeze.

That air filter looks like it had been replaced fairly recently before the car was scrapped.
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:30 am

occasional demons wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:54 am Image

LOL, at the coolant overflow bottle being sawed off to get to (assuming) the A/C bolts. The factory bottle and the PS reservoir location makes getting to anything in that corner a PITA.

Doing the 2gn PS pump, and using a Honda overflow made adjusting the alternator, and replacing the crank sensor a breeze.

That air filter looks like it had been replaced fairly recently before the car was scrapped.
Yep. The last time I was there I grabbed the AC lines and compressor. First time I took my Milwaukee M12 Hackzall with me, and will certainly not be the last.

Do you have pics/info on the 2gn/Honda overflow bottle conversion? I plan on doing a lot of stuff in the engine bay (including upgrading to a BAN coded 2gn 120A alternator) and that would be something I'd be interested in.

I thought about grabbing the whole factory intake setup, but I have an Iceman in my car, so I didn't see the need.

The car had some damage to the passenger quarter panel, right behind the door. I'm wondering if it got totalled because of that. Since I saw no signs of broken timing belt (and it was a Mopar belt) and the cluster said 51k, I figured it was likely that was legit. I was going to grab the engine, but I can never get anyone to go with me to help, and the chain hoists are almost always in use.

Jay

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:13 am

Sorry for the PB pics. :blush:

occasional demons wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:09 pm It is made from, IIRC, a HP computer case. I used the 1gn bottle to make a template for the mounting points, and raised it away from the firewall, so i could use the oem path for the fuel/brake lines.

The strap is a piece of metal banding, that holds material to skids for shipping. I just bent it so it conformed to the bottle, riveted it at the other end, and put a stud/nut on the visible side.

There is a molded place in the bottle to slide it into a Honda mounting bracket, but I was lazy, and didn't feel like fabbing one of those. :lol:

PS Pump:
This is with a 2.4 swap, so making clearance for the reservoir might involve modifying the core support a little with the 2.0 2gn bracket.
I got the idea from an old thread on here. You need the PT high pressure line and some tweaking of said line to accommodate the plumbing side of this.
occasional demons wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:04 pm So, the MPX bracket in original form, ignore the notch, it's how I got it...

And modified...

Before

After

The bracket is a little cozier with the water pump, but does not make contact.

https://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61886
- Bill

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:01 pm

Thanks, Bill.

Also, the grille was gone. No sign of it. Sorry, PA ACR.

So, today was a good day at the JY. I didn't get *everything* I wanted, but I got the stuff I needed and a little more.

This car was strangely equipped. No power locks, no power windows, no cruise...BUT it was prewired for cruise. Had the cruise clock spring and overlay harness from what I could see. It had a glovebox light. (My friend took that.) It had the light by the key cylinder, too.

It also had a manual transmission tilt steering column (with leather wheel). So, I grabbed that. And the clutch/brake pedals. And the shifter assy, and the shifter cables (with a full compliment of Yellow Booger Bushings) but I gave those to my friend Jeremy (2003SilverSRT4) for helping. I also got the rear calipers, brake hoses, parking brake cables, and backing plates. I think I paid $135 w/ tax and cores for everything.

I tried to get the brake master, but it was fused to the booster. I got one bolt off, but the other turned round, and (by then) it was on the ground. lol

I want to go back and grab the manual K member and transmission, that would give me a complete manual swap (that I could sell) but I have other things I need to get done this week, and can't spend all week in rainy junkyards.

It's raining again, so I'll get pics when I pull the stuff out of the truck.

Jay

Edit: I just thought of something else. The car had 2gn seats in it, including the rear seats with detachable head rests. I think it must have belonged to an enthusiast at some point.

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:41 pm

97acrcoupe wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:01 pm Also, the grille was gone. No sign of it. Sorry, PA ACR.
:cry:

Good price for all the parts you grabbed.
My True Story:

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:09 pm

Are you looking for a black grill with or without stripes? I can keep an eye out.

Jay

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:16 pm

occasional demons wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:13 am Sorry for the PB pics. :blush:

occasional demons wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:09 pm It is made from, IIRC, a HP computer case. I used the 1gn bottle to make a template for the mounting points, and raised it away from the firewall, so i could use the oem path for the fuel/brake lines.

The strap is a piece of metal banding, that holds material to skids for shipping. I just bent it so it conformed to the bottle, riveted it at the other end, and put a stud/nut on the visible side.

There is a molded place in the bottle to slide it into a Honda mounting bracket, but I was lazy, and didn't feel like fabbing one of those. :lol:
What year/model is that tank from?

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:17 am

97acrcoupe wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:09 pm Are you looking for a black grill with or without stripes? I can keep an eye out.

Jay
With..... :wink:
My True Story:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:22 am

97acrcoupe wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:16 pm What year/model is that tank from?
I honestly don't recall. Maybe an Accord? It has been so long ago. I think I just started searching for coolant expansion tanks, and bought what looked like it would work. I got a two pack, since it was oddly cheaper, and put the other one in our '96 we had at the time.

I didn't do the PS pump swap in that car, as it was my wife's, and she doesn't like her car messed with. I only swapped the coolant tank, because the original was beat up pretty bad, and was pretty badly gunked up inside.

The PO was shameless at jury rigging stuff on the car. Brake lines were run around the coolant tank, because apparently they could not get the last bolt out after breaking the other stuff.

The fuel line from the tank to the firewall was replaced with 1/4" line, not the 5/16" line like stock.

You will need a long skinny funnel to fill it, but those are cheap. I just left the funnel in the trunk, so it was always handy.

Okay, searched images for coolant tanks....

I think this is it:

- Bill

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:54 pm

Currently waiting for primer to dry, so here's an update.

I haven't managed to get the biggest thing done that I took vacation for. Rain and JY trips have cut into time with the truck. I had planned to button up the body work where I put new rockers/floors on it, and then paint and Raptor line the underside. I was also going to make my heater delete plate, and then button up the cab so I could put it outside without having to worry about animals getting in it. Instead, I've been working on the Neon.

I went to another yard yesterday, and found a no-wing decklid that (despite looks) was pretty rust free.

Someone had sanded the paint like they were going to paint it, and then didn't. The rust is of the light surface variety.

So, I sanded all the rust back to bare metal, sanded the whole trunk (it had clear coat issues) and hit it with 3 coats of etch primer. I then sanded out the one ding on it, and put some Bondo Professional Gold body filler over it (it was small, maybe 1/32" deep). After sanding that out, I sprayed any areas I went through with filler primer, wet sanded the whole thing and did 3 coats of filler primer.

While I was waiting on stuff to dry earlier, I decided to polish the headlight lenses before I try to clear coat them again.

The other lens had some damage on the inside where the lens glare deflector had been bouncing around. Not really anything I can do about that. Sigh. But I don't think I'm going to paint them. I'll see how they hold up first. I'm sick of not having headlights, and I want to drive it! lol

Yesterday I really thought I might go back and grab the 3.94 transmission, k member, bobble strut mount (engine side), axles and PCM from the '99 RT from above...but I don't NEED the parts, I just wanted them not to go to waste...so I talked to a friend who sells Neon parts to see if he was interested and he said "It isn't 10 years ago where you can sell them and make money."

Jay

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:22 pm

Well, I can't complain about Duplicolor's color match.

Bumper is original, trunk lid is (yet to be cleared) Duplicolor rattle cans. The first one had some leakage and dripped a little bit, the second can basically puddled at the base of the spray nozzle and dripped even worse. The third can was fine.

So, since it started to cool off, I decided to put it away, and work on lining up my projectors on my headlights.

I got a nice sharp cutoff without the lenses on, but when I put them on temporarily, it blurred a little bit because the lenses aren't optically clear. Debating if I want to clear the lenses as well since I'll be doing the trunk lid anyway.

Jay

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:27 pm

Well, I made another quick trip to the JY today. One of my favorite yards got in a '98 Sport and a 2000 Camaro.
I needed the spare tire out of the Camaro for my truck. I'm doing a 12" brake upgrade on it, and it won't clear the 14" wheels I have now. They don't show up in the local yards much (has to be 1998+) and they just put it out yesterday.
Grabbed that, amazed it was still there. Grabbed the front brake calipers from the Neon so I can clean and paint them before I do the rear disc brake swap. Has almost new pads, too!

I grabbed a trunk release button out of a sebring convertible, just for the heck of it.

I also picked up 2 coolant overflow tanks from Honda Accords. I got one from an '02 and I'm not sure the other year.

Then I got home, wet sanded the trunk lid and clear coated it with 2K Glamour High Gloss Clear.

Before:

After:

I threw a little bit of the 2k clear on my headlights, but it ran out as I was spraying. Didn't seem to react like the Rustoleum did, but I didn't have enough to do multiple coats....so I wet sanded out the lenses AGAIN and polished them. The clear paint *did* seem to make the clarity improve quite a bit. Headlights are reassembled.

Only issue I found was the plug for the relay harness that plugs into the factory harness was wired backwards. It defaulted to High Beams, and went to Low when I turned the highs on. I de-pinned/re-pinned it so it works properly now.

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:12 pm

I put the car back together and installed the de-wing trunk lid.

I couldn't believe how much heavier the winged decklid was when I took it off. Now, when I pop the truck from the remote, it opens itself. lol

Here's the two overflow bottles I picked up, one came with a bracket (I think I can mod it a little bit and use it.)

If I use the V shaped one, I'll mod the bracket. There's a plastic nipple that fit into a hole on the core support/fan shroud. I think I could make a tab and weld it on to the bracket, and then space it off the firewall. That's the way I'm leaning.

Finally, my left front wheel cap doesn't fit. The threads on the axle stick out too far. I talked to the PO and he said he thought it was a stock replacement axle. I wondered if maybe it was a PT or Shadow axle or something. He didn't think it stuck out any further than the others.

It sticks out almost as far as the lug nuts. lol

Jay
Last edited by 97acrcoupe on Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:57 pm

Another question. I grabbed the stuff for my rear disc swap. But I couldn't get the master cylinder. I'm a little unsure if it's the master cylinder than is different between rear drum or rear disc, or is there a proportioning valve somewhere that I need to change. From eBay listings, the master cylinder *seems* to be the difference. I see a Raybestos brand one for a rear disc car, so I'm leaning toward grabbing it while I'm ordering some other stuff.

Thanks.

Jay

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:41 pm

Well, I ordered rotors, braided brake lines, rear disc master, and speed bleeders.

Jay

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:27 pm

97acrcoupe wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:12 pm Image
:good:
My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:28 pm

97acrcoupe wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:12 pm I couldn't believe how much heavier the winged decklid was when I took it off. Now, when I pop the truck from the remote, it opens itself. lol
A wing weighs 8.2 lbs on my bathroom scale..... :wink:
My True Story:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:53 am

As long as the master cylinder is a non ABS master (in a non ABS car), it will work. The ABS master has different outlet, IIRC.

The disc/drum difference is the disc master moves a little more fluid for the rear calipers vs wheel cylinders for the drum MC. So the rear calipers will engage slightly better with the correct MC.

I have read either MC works, but if you can match the parts, why not?

On 2gn's even the brake booster is different somehow. (SRT)

I got the disc MC for my 2000, but I'm just going to use the regular booster.

I bought the MC years ago, when Rock Auto had a clearance sale on them, and had to search for it in my parts storage... :blush:
- Bill

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:56 am

Well, I figured out where the proportioning valves go. So, I drove an hour+ down to the JY where the car was I got the rear discs from. And forgot they were closed Monday and Tuesday. Sigh. So, I wasted 2.5 hrs of my last vacation day.
Sigh.

Jay

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:22 am

The new MC I got, came with proportioning valves installed. :dunno:
- Bill

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:22 pm

I guess I'll go back and look. It's supposedly a reman rear disc brake MC, so maybe I'll get lucky.
I just kinda figured they wouldn't....but it has a reservoir.

Jay

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:45 pm

Well, the new master doesn't come with them...but I did have a stroke of luck that made up for it.

I had misplaced the tilt column and found it today. I didn't have the key from the car it came off of.
I knew I'd need it to remove the ignition cylinder so when I go to swap mine in, I don't have to mess anything up.

For fun, I grabbed a couple of glow keys I found at the JY months ago. And, wouldn't you know it...The first one I tried worked! These keys were from a different yard months ago. Ignition cylinder is out.

It also *almost* made up for having to cut open the floor on my S-10 to get 3 of the body mounts apart. Sigh.

Jay

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:10 pm

So, I shot out of work a few minutes early and made it to the JY before they stopped letting people in.
I hightailed it back to the Chrysler section, and found the Brake Booster/Master Cylinder assy we pulled off the 99 R/T sitting exactly where we left it. I unbolted the rear disc brake-specific proportioning valves easily, and the best part was that they didn't even charge me for them.

Since the JY is about 14 miles from work (vs. 71 from home) this saved me from having to make a 2.5hr trip tomorrow.

On the down side, someone got the manual trans computer from that car.

Jay

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:45 am

Well, my pile of parts continues to grow.

Since I pulled the rear disc conversion stuff, I've ordered a full set of black coated slotted rotors, stock replacement brake pads, G2 Caliper paint, caliper rebuild parts for all 4 calipers (along with an extra set of front calipers), Green Technafit braided brake lines and a new rear-disc-brake master cylinder. I grabbed the proportioning valves off the R/T at the yard on Sat.

I also got a 2005 BAN code 120A alternator.

One of the backing plates on the R/T was in good shape, the other not so much. grabbed another one at the JY and will clean and paint them before the install. Every one who makes those new is awfully proud of them.

I'd really like one of Jacob's engine tuck harnesses, but at $550, it's hard to justify since that's what I paid for the car. lol I may go get a clean uncut engine harness from the yard and go through it myself at some point.

Once I get my truck back together enough to not worry about bare metal flash rusting if it's outside, I can push it out if I need to, and use my garage to bang the neon out over a weekend or two. I want to pull the motor to do everything and clean/paint stuff. There's also some engine bay cleanup I need to do.

Here's where the truck is at, right now:

Jay

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:43 pm

Started prepping my calipers for paint. One of the rears was in decent shape, the other was pretty crusty. The first one I chipped off a few more severe rust areas with a screwdriver and went over the whole thing with a wire brush on a drill. It cleaned up decent, and took about 15 minutes. The other was worse and took nearly 45 minutes to get to similar condition.

Today I started soaking the calipers in Evaporust (1 at a time, I don't have a lot of Evaporust so I have it in a small plastic food container just big enough for one caliper.) I wanted them to be as rust free as possible before I start painting them with G2 ceramic brake paint.

Here's the "After" of the nicer (probably replaced at some point) caliper, and the "Before" of the "been at the bottom of the ocean next to the Titanic for years" caliper.

I have new rotors:

New braided brake lines:

with green coating, just for fun. lol

I also have Russell Speed Bleeders (front and rear), new seals, sliders, boots, bolts, and Semi-Metallic OE replacement pads.

The G2 brake coating is a self leveling ceramic paint (also green) that you brush on and it is supposed to smooth itself out.

My truck has been getting some attention, too. I'm hoping to get the truck back together enough to be able to put it outside without anyone calling the cops. I ordered new bed and body mount bolts, as well as urethane body mount bushings. I was hoping they'd be here soon, but LMC truck takes forever to ship things. Once it can go outside and look relatively complete, the Neon's going to get a round of stuff installed.

Jay

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:05 pm

LOL, for parts that are rotted that bad, I am not proud, I'll use them for cores on reman units. Those are nice and clean when you take them out of the box. :grin:

Muriatic acid works great for dissolving rust, but you need A LOT of baking soda to neutralize it, and a well ventilated area to let the parts soak overnight in. Anything nearby will get destroyed by the vapors if you don't cover the plastic soaking container.

I use a plastic drain pan, and do it where I know animals can not get near it.

But something that needs a finished bore, I would not soak in acid anyways, hence why I would "cheat", and get a reman caliper. I have not had any issues with reman brake calipers, so for me, the $20 or $30 is worth saving the trouble to get a good painting surface.

Home Depot sells muriatic acid in gallon jugs, for etching concrete.
- Bill

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:33 pm

I checked, and (near me) reman calipers are $50/ea with cores anywhere from $20-40ea!
I had already ordered the rebuild parts, so I figured I'd clean them up and if I couldn't get any of them
clean enough I'd get "new" ones to replace them. So far, they seem to be cleaning up well. The rears are in WAY worse shape than the fronts. I picked up a set from the JY so I could do everything off the car and then hopefully do the whole swap in a day.

My brakes likes are rusty looking, but don't leak. If I found a source for replacements, I'd probably buy them.
I do have the tools to make my own, so I may just order some NiCopp brake line and do that too. If I do everything I have parts for the car will probably be down a week of work time (longer if I do it after work/on days off).

"Might as well do it while I've got it apart" is getting pricey! lol

BTW, the Evaporust is supposed to be safe on everything, including rubber! I threw them in with all the seals on and will take them off before paint.

Jay

Return to “Project Logs”