srt4eh’s “LAST PROJECT” - War Machine 2.6L SOHC...yes you read that right.

Tell your story about your personal project. Put together something no one else has? Show it off here with pictures and details! Project Logs are allowed within reason. Non Neon projects may be deleted at the Moderators whim. HINT: Keep it about Neons.
PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Re: srt4eh’s “LAST PROJECT” - War Machine 2.6L SOHC...yes you read that right.

Post by PA ACR » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:20 am

srt4eh wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:07 am Image

Garage door broke so until housing comes to fix it...enjoy this front end shot.
There was a beautiful full strawberry moon the past few nights...... :grin:
My True Story:
My older sister/husband sent me a selfie of them taking a test ride in a newer Corvette. They posted, "Going for a joy ride in our "dream car"
I immediately posted back......" Why dream small, I can put you in the driver's seat of a neon for a fraction of the price".......

U-Pulls are like a box of Chocolates.......you never know what you're going to find...... ;)

Oldest GUY on the .ORG with an ACR, a NYG, AND a R/T

srt4eh
Site Supporter

Post by srt4eh » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:05 pm

Got the car out of the garage....so...the spring broke on the garage door and maintenance won’t be fixing it until the end of the month. Sweet. Anyways...as usual there’s always some stupid issue. Currently can’t get my computer to connect to the MS3. I guess I’ll try some more tomorrow to get it to work.
2002 Dodge Neon 2.6L SOHC Stroker
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
2019 Dodge Durango GT
[url]http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=354472[/url]

Midnight Rider
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Midnight Rider » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:59 pm

Digging the MP foglight deletes.
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4, Stage 2 with Toys- original owner!

srt4eh
Site Supporter

Post by srt4eh » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:03 pm

Since I still haven’t started the car up....I figure I’ll show a couple pics showing why I hate DCR. This is how they wired up the car after they hacked the harness.
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
2019 Dodge Durango GT

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:22 pm

srt4eh wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:03 pm Since I still haven’t started the car up....I figure I’ll show a couple pics showing why I hate DCR. This is how they wired up the car after they hacked the harness.
I know very little about wiring, but I would be ashamed to say I did that work....... :blush:

:puke:
My True Story:
My older sister/husband sent me a selfie of them taking a test ride in a newer Corvette. They posted, "Going for a joy ride in our "dream car"
I immediately posted back......" Why dream small, I can put you in the driver's seat of a neon for a fraction of the price".......

U-Pulls are like a box of Chocolates.......you never know what you're going to find...... ;)

srt4eh
Site Supporter

Post by srt4eh » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:01 pm

So...these are very exciting times....

I can’t share video on here....but the car starts. I’ll be posting a good running video on the org Facebook page and probably YouTube so I can link it here.
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
2019 Dodge Durango GT

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:04 pm

*Like*

Sent from my SM-A600AZ using Tapatalk

Black 1998 R/T Coupe - 2.4 Turbo Project finally going into motion after waiting for 8 years!
See the extremely slow progress of my build Here

Download Tapatalk for your smartphone or tablet Here
Tapatalk is a great app for people on the go or for those without home internet service.

jimbo in MI wrote:Yea, my advice is don't.

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:19 am

srt4eh wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:01 pm I can’t share video on here....but the car starts. I’ll be posting a good running video on the org Facebook page and probably YouTube
:morning:
My True Story:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:44 am

You need to swap that black PS cap out for a yellow one, so it matches the valve cover. Just send the black one to me for disposal. :grin:
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

srt4eh
Site Supporter

Post by srt4eh » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:27 pm

So...had a little setback...some things were not happy about unusual voltage. This week should have a good running car video. I did get my BKR7E spark plugs installed as well as my ATi Super Damper.

As for yellow...this valve cover is going away. Jeston has a gunmetal Powdercoated one for me that he is engraving 2.6 Turbo into.

2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
2019 Dodge Durango GT

srt4eh
Site Supporter

Post by srt4eh » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:29 pm

2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
2019 Dodge Durango GT

srt4eh
Site Supporter

Post by srt4eh » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:14 pm

So got all my issues fixed - just need Erick to help me out and get the tune finished up and I can get a video made of this bad boy idling and revving.

Spoiler alert - the turbo sounds wicked!!!!!
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
2019 Dodge Durango GT

srt4eh
Site Supporter

Post by srt4eh » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:14 pm

So...spent a month at Fort Polk. I’m back now. Time to take a look at the car tomorrow. Maybe now I’ll get some victory?
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
2019 Dodge Durango GT

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:35 pm

srt4eh wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:14 pm Maybe now I’ll get some victory?
Sure hope this saga has a happy ending....... :yes:
My True Story:

srt4eh
Site Supporter

Post by srt4eh » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:52 pm

She idles on her own. I’ve still got some noise issues with the crank signal but a running car is a good starting point. Waiting on Erick to get a free moment to mess with the tune some more and then I’ll get a video of it running posted up :)
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
2019 Dodge Durango GT

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:04 pm

:smile:
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

srt4eh
Site Supporter

Post by srt4eh » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:37 pm

She lives! I even got to drive her around the block a few times. Tune still needs a lot of work but this is amazing! First time running in what like 10 years?

https://youtu.be/sJbQbCwrRF8

https://youtu.be/QV_gnawgnYw
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
2019 Dodge Durango GT

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:36 am

srt4eh wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:37 pm She lives! I even got to drive her around the block a few times.
Congratulations......... :yahoo:

After reading one of your posts on FB, I thought you might give up on the project.
My True Story:

srt4eh
Site Supporter

Post by srt4eh » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:37 am

Yeah I was super frustrated. Initially the alternator control wasn’t properly set and pushed max voltage through the car. Popped a bunch of fuses and fried my radio. Replaced all that and reset the settings and then had crank signal loss. Not just a little loss but like 300 times in 30 seconds. Rechecked grounds and settings and everything. Finally turned off alternator control and it idled perfectly. So now I have an old school voltage regulator and learned my lesson lol.
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
2019 Dodge Durango GT

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:04 am

srt4eh wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:37 am Initially the alternator control wasn’t properly set and pushed max voltage through the car. Popped a bunch of fuses and fried my radio.
I had similar happen on my '79 Cordoba, except I think the VR failed, or shorted, and the fusible link fried.

The battery was essentially taken out of the loop, so the voltage had nothing to stabilize it. Chrysler ran a thin 18 or 20 gauge wire from the alternator to the (+) battery post for the amp gauge in the cluster. That wire immediately melted, along with everything it touched, and all the bulbs in the car got very bright and burned out before I realized what was happening, and got it shut off. Fortunately the radio was off, and I got the engine shut down before much else got damaged.

I put in a new VR, heavier fusible link in, and never reconnected the amp gauge wire. It was never really accurate anyways. Kind of a stupid attempt at keeping an amp gauge, and from running the heavy cable through the car for the gauge. It was one of those huge 100 amp alternators they used back in the 1970's, so the cable was probably at least 6 gauge. It was a pretty healthy wire. Not what you would want running through the dash in an accident.

Those alternators were about as big around as a paper plate. Thankfully they are able to make them a bit more compact these days.

But yeah, I know the feeling when the voltage goes off the charts, and things begin to blow the smoke gaskets. It really ruins the evening's mood.
- Bill

97acrcoupe
Neon Enthusiast

Post by 97acrcoupe » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:31 am

OK. I'm all caught up now. lol
In for dyno vids.

Gotta say, I like the R/T bumper better than the SRT one. CF hood=Good, CF fenders? Not a fan. I think it's too much.
You said you don't like the way they fit, do you have pics of the fitment issues?

This car is pretty sweet.

Jay
Black '97 Plymouth ACR coupe (Bought new...sold in 2005)
White '97 Dodge ACR Coupe (Stolen 2 weeks after I bought it, 2007)
Red '98 Dodge R/T Sunroof Coupe (Sold in 2009)
Green '99 Plymouth Expresso Coupe (Manual swapped...purchased 12/19)
(I only buy manual 1gn Neon coupes, lol)

srt4eh
Site Supporter

Post by srt4eh » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:20 am

I’m not a huge fan of the fenders still but I fixed the fitment. They’re much better now. I’ve got a pair of stock fenders here and if I ever get around to painting the whole car (not me...obviously I’ll pay some shop) then I’ll probably swap them out. Until then - I’m lazy and they can stay lol
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
2019 Dodge Durango GT

srt4eh
Site Supporter

Post by srt4eh » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:56 pm

So - fun fact - front turn signals don’t work if you don’t have a cluster. So you’ve got to splice together the two left signal and two right signal wires. Then boom - correctly operating turn signals. I was losing my mind checking bulbs, checking voltage at the plug, checking grounds, and checking the MFS.

Erick is hoping to be here in a couple weeks to tune the car in person. I hope to be able to get over to the local dyno and see what she puts down once I’ve got it dialed in.
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
2019 Dodge Durango GT

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:55 am

srt4eh wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:56 pm So - fun fact - front turn signals don’t work if you don’t have a cluster.
Wow, that's odd.

Can't say I have tried it, but that would have never occurred to me either. Good to know.

Not thinking about the high/low beam circuit on our 1gn, I pulled the turn signal switch out of our '96 years ago, thinking she could drive the car for a day while I fixed the switch. (70% of people don't seem know what turn signals are anyways...) It had quit cancelling the signals, or sometimes would not stay in place when turning.

But since the switch is also the circuit for both low and high beams, it had no headlights.

So back in it went, and I got a switch from a Jeep Cherokee and cleaned it up/relubed everything inside, and swapped them out.
- Bill

srt4eh
Site Supporter

Post by srt4eh » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:45 am

Ha - never would have thought about that being part of the circuit either. Wild.
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
2019 Dodge Durango GT

srt4eh
Site Supporter

Post by srt4eh » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:41 pm

Erick and I have had issues getting the car tuned but today went pretty smoothly. Got a lot of kinks worked out until I noticed some shakiness in the front end. One of the strut to spindle bolts had gotten loose and was allowing the wheel to wobble a little so we broke for lunch.

After I fixed that and ate we got back at it. Took the car off post to get some high rpm runs with some boost. Holy crap she pulls hard....until boost cut. We were only running wastegate pressure which was set at .5 bar but we were seeing 15-18psi. (Thank goodness for boost/fuel cut) I got her home and I see one of the hoses to the wastegate is barely attached....well then...

I also realized I never ran a vacuum line to the fpr so now Erick will likely have to start over with the fuel map. But hey - the car runs and she wants to go fast.
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
2019 Dodge Durango GT

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:47 pm

:good:

Erick is probably one of the few people who can figure out how to get it running....... :wink:
My True Story:

srt4eh
Site Supporter

Post by srt4eh » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:35 pm

Unrelated to going fast...found out the dome light runs through the cluster so...no dome light for me. I also noticed the windshield wipers don’t work today. I didn’t have time to troubleshoot it beyond checking the fuse. (Fuse is good btw). Guess I’ll look more into it tomorrow. I joked with Jacob that perhaps that runs through the cluster too. He assures me it doesn’t. Hahaha

Turn signals and dome light going through the cluster is enough...wonder if I’ll run into anything else randomly.

Then once I get the car going well I need to figure out the fuel level on the pidash. I drove to the gas station and filled up so I’ll be good for a while at least lol
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
2019 Dodge Durango GT

srt4eh
Site Supporter

Post by srt4eh » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:51 pm

Dome light and HVAC lights are functional now. Wipers are also functional - now to get tuned.
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
2019 Dodge Durango GT

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:05 pm

:good:

What was the issue with the wipers?
- Bill

srt4eh
Site Supporter

Post by srt4eh » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:36 pm

Well...it was weird. No power at the switch and when I pulled the fuse the radio would shut off. Ended up being a loose buss bar in the fuse box. I also tightened up all the fuse connections and magic it’s back working lol. Yet another weird issue with this car haha.

Oh also - I figured out why the dipstick doesn’t read any oil. I’ve got a srt4 dipstick but even with 7 quarts in the pan it barely gets the tip wet. I don’t know what dipstick tube they used but it’s longer. I found a longer dipstick in my stuff - I think from a PT. Oil level reads within the crosshatch now. Woohoo!
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
2019 Dodge Durango GT

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:38 am

srt4eh wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:36 pm Well...it was weird.
Oh also - I figured out why the dipstick doesn’t read any oil. I’ve got a srt4 dipstick but even with 7 quarts in the pan it barely gets the tip wet. I don’t know what dipstick tube they used but it’s longer.
Unfortunately this is what often happens when you start working on someone else's experiments..... :wink:
My True Story:

srt4eh
Site Supporter

Post by srt4eh » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:20 pm

I got auto tune working properly on my computer. Apparently there was an issue with Tunerstudio. I drove around base for about half an hour and got it driving pretty smoothly. I may try some spirited driving tomorrow and see what I can figure out :)
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
2019 Dodge Durango GT

Return to “Project Logs”