Unusual Project...Lower 48 in My 98 - Pics Are Up

Tell your story about your personal project. Put together something no one else has? Show it off here with pictures and details! Project Logs are allowed within reason. Non Neon projects may be deleted at the Moderators whim. HINT: Keep it about Neons.
PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Re: Unusual Project...Lower 48 in My 98 - Pics Are Up

Post by PA ACR » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:18 pm

Ended up in the small town of Red Lion where I pulled over to text the sellers........

Then on to Harve De Grace, MD

The sellers lived in an upscale housing district with many gated communities. I guess that's why the asking price was so high......$85.00 :sad: Laid down the passenger side seat and stuffed the bike with half of it in the back seat and the other half in the front seat. I talked to the seller for about 5 minutes telling him about my travels with the ACR and why I drove so far for the "neon" bike.

I was only a few miles north of US RT 40 which runs through the center of Baltimore and then heads north along the Chesapeake Bay and past Gunpowder State Park. I actually had the car there many years ago for an East Coast Neon Meet. It was way before I decided I wanted to try to get the ACR to every state and most likely the reason I didn't decide to drive just a few more miles and visit Delaware. Rt 40 crosses over the Susquehanna River on the Thomas J. Hatem Twin Bridges.......you can see the second bridge just to the right of the dark vehicle.

At 3:54 PM September 8, 2020 Tao finally entered the state of Delaware....... :dance:

My True Story:
My older sister/husband sent me a selfie of them taking a test ride in a newer Corvette. They posted, "Going for a joy ride in our "dream car"
I immediately posted back......" Why dream small, I can put you in the driver's seat of a neon for a fraction of the price".......

U-Pulls are like a box of Chocolates.......you never know what you're going to find...... ;)

Oldest GUY on the .ORG with an ACR, a NYG, AND a R/T

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:34 pm

I turned around after just passing Glasgow Park just north of Glasgow, Delaware and headed back for MD. Stopped for a photo shoot near Elkton, MD........

Not sure about the signifigance of the Phoenix Elk........... :dunno:

The Elkton Chrysler Dealer......... :good:

My True Story:
My older sister/husband sent me a selfie of them taking a test ride in a newer Corvette. They posted, "Going for a joy ride in our "dream car"
I immediately posted back......" Why dream small, I can put you in the driver's seat of a neon for a fraction of the price".......

U-Pulls are like a box of Chocolates.......you never know what you're going to find...... ;)

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:49 pm

Hit RT 222 just east of the Susquehanna River and took it north the whole way to RT 30 east of York, PA......beautiful drive, all rural with a few small villages and tons of historical spots.....talk about horsepower......8 of them..... and ended up in Lancaster where it intersects with RT 30.

Back over the Susquehanna River which looked pretty low to me..... :dunno:

My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:00 pm

Stopped for a few more pictures on the way home.....sun setting (gracing :yes: ) an amazing car full of tons and tons of memories......... :drinks:

A perfect picture on a perfect day............. :cool:

I pic from the top of a mountain ridge with Breezewood, PA at the bottom.....the "City that Never Sleeps" There are no residential homes here, just businesses that cater to the traffic which passes through the intersections all day and night from the PA Turnpike and RT 30/Interstate 70 which goes to Washington DC and Baltimore.

Pulled into home right around 11:00......long day.
My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:12 pm

Oh yea, the next morning...."killed 2 birds with one stone"......state #35 ......"neon" bike # 14.......... :good:

(I'm going to try to check about hitting up the state of Georgia on my southern trip in 2004. We took a shopping trip from Highlands, NC and crossed into Dillard in the northwestern tip of Georgia and I can't remember if we all jammed into our PT cruiser or if we also took my ACR or my daughter's 2000 ES neon)
My True Story:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:13 pm

PA ACR wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:00 pm Stopped for a few more pictures on the way home.....sun setting on an amazing car full of tons and tons of memories......... :drinks:

Hmm, I would like to think the sun hasn't set on the car yet.

Perhaps "The sunset gracing an amazing car full of tons and tons of memories".
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

bones_mcgregor
Neon Enthusiast

Post by bones_mcgregor » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:39 pm

Awesome read Tom. I'm glad you got to take Tao to Delaware. Inspiring, really.
1995 Dodge ACR coupe #18 Challenge
1995 Dodge ACR coupe NYG
1999 Dodge R/T coupe Bright White/Brilliant Blue

"The Tao exists in the mind of a Neon owner where no concern with resale value can be found. To him, it resembles calculating the resale value of his children."

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:46 pm

bones_mcgregor wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:39 pm Awesome read Tom. I'm glad you got to take Tao to Delaware. Inspiring, really.
Thanks, the only thing I regret is not getting the chance to sleep in it overnight at a Walmart...... :rofl:

I just filled up the tank........ :shock:

475.1 miles / 13.619 Gallons of Gas = 34.885 MPG :good:
My True Story:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:28 pm

PA ACR wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:46 pm \ I just filled up the tank........ :shock:

That's cutting it a bit close! :lol:

I don't know that I have ever ran it low enough to get more than 12 gallons in it.

I can't say I have gotten that many miles from a fill up either, but then I usually only get 9 to 11 gallons between fill ups, mostly because I don't like to push my luck too far.

I could go 400 miles in my '01, and only get ~10 gallons in it. That was mostly driving to Flint, at 70 plus mph on the highway portions. The rest was a mix of 25 mph to 60.

Not bad for a 3.55/.81 t350. I credit a lot of it to the Kaminari Viper front fascia, as it doesn't have an opening right below the hood to scoop in air. The opening is down low.
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

Midnight Rider
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Midnight Rider » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:08 am

I still don't know how you sleep in the car! :grin:
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4, Stage 2 with Toys- original owner!

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:57 am

occasional demons wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:28 pm
PA ACR wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:46 pm \ I just filled up the tank........ :shock:

That's cutting it a bit close! :lol:
I don't know that I have ever ran it low enough to get more than 12 gallons in it.
I never try to get much below a half tank. I drove to MD, got the bike, drove into Delaware and started back for home. I was a little under half tank so I started looking for a place to fill up. Besides, there is about a 20 cent per gallon tax more in PA than all the states around us. I filled up near Elkton, MD. 6.854 gallons at $2.259 per gallon. When I got home, I filled up again. 6.765 at $2.439.
My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:59 am

Midnight Rider wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:08 am I still don't know how you sleep in the car! :grin:
It's actually pretty simple, I just close my eyes....... :rofl:
My True Story:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:16 am

PA ACR wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:59 am
Midnight Rider wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:08 am I still don't know how you sleep in the car! :grin:
It's actually pretty simple, I just close my eyes....... :rofl:
I mean, it's only a problem when cruising down the road! :lol:

But hey, the car has been nearly everywhere, so it knows where it's going. :grin:
- Bill

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:21 pm

occasional demons wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:16 am But hey, the car has been nearly everywhere, so it knows where it's going. :grin:
Every time I drive by Carlisle on the turnpike I have to really hang on to the steering wheel to keep it from turning off on the exit to go into the fairgrounds....... :lol:
My True Story:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:37 pm

PA ACR wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:21 pm
occasional demons wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:16 am But hey, the car has been nearly everywhere, so it knows where it's going. :grin:
Every time I drive by Carlisle on the turnpike I have to really hang on to the steering wheel to keep it from turning off on the exit to go into the fairgrounds....... :lol:

I bet you would be surprised if you let it have it's way, if you pulled in, and everyone was there. :shock:
- Bill

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:37 pm

PA ACR wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:44 am
occasional demons wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:50 am I imagine tracking the entire route on what's still left of Old Lincoln Way following the "Historical Byway" signs would take all day, and maybe part of the night. :lol:
Hear ya, Rt 30 is a mile from Boswell. It's the most direct route to Ohio from here, but it goes right through Pittsburgh and all it's suburbs...... :bash:
A bit of Route 30/Lincoln highway history...
At the front of the opera house building near the front door for
the opera house is the Lincoln Highway marker. While this marker
is not original to the building it is original to the Lincoln
Highway. Before there were highway signs, these markers showed
people how to find the lincoln highway and which way to go.

Usually you would look for the marker at beginning of intersections.
The marker would indicate the direction of travel for motorist following
the route of the Lincoln Highway.

The road in front of the opera house is the old Route 30. In 1913 the
Lincoln Highway was laid out. It started at Time Square in New York
City and ended at Long Beach, California. Along the route you would
see many interesting sights.
http://userpages.bright.net/~opera/hayesville/Hayesville%20Opera%20House%20Virtual%20Tour.html
- Bill

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:37 pm

occasional demons wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:37 pm A bit of Route 30/Lincoln highway history...
The first 19 years of my life I grew up living about 50 yards from Route 30. I walked across it every day to get to elementary school and back again at noon to eat lunch. Went into the service and away to college for a few years and have now lived exactly 1 mile from it for the past 46 years.
My True Story:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:25 pm

- Bill

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:41 pm

York, Pa. to Latrobe, Pa.: 170 miles

Central Pennsylvania offers a great mix of roadside attractions and rural pleasures. Starting in York, you pass an original 1950s diner and old motels on the way to Gettysburg, site of the best-known Civil War battlefield. To the west is Mister Ed's Elephant Museum in the middle of a state forest, then it's up, down, and over the Allegheny Mountains through Breezewood to Bedford. Look for an ice cream-shaped dairy stand, a restored coffee-pot cafe, and Dunkle's Gulf, an art deco station where the same family has pumped your gas since the 1930s. Stay at the Lincoln Motor Court's tourist cabins, then stop for pictures at wonderful murals painted on barns. The artwork is sponsored by the Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor. You'll find their little museum farther west in Ligonier near the town square.

This barn mural is about a mile from my house.......

My True Story:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:10 am

It's funny, because a co worker said something the other day about how he would rather travel the Lincoln highway across the country than Route 66.

I said "Exactly! :lol:
"
- Bill

Return to “Project Logs”