Senior Project.. Update....May Have To Settle for GED

Tell your story about your personal project. Put together something no one else has? Show it off here with pictures and details! Project Logs are allowed within reason. Non Neon projects may be deleted at the Moderators whim. HINT: Keep it about Neons.
PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Re: Sad Day For Me...........

Post by PA ACR » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:34 pm

Even though I've never actually driven the car other than around town several times, I have a lot of fond memories from owning the car. A young kid on the next block had the car and was trying to get it running. Since I wanted something to learn how to fix, I traded him my running 1998 Plymouth Expresso Sdn ATX with well over 100,000 on it and in need of a timing belt/water pump replacement even up (he definitely got the better end of the trade). The transaction took place on November 14, 2007, one day before my birthday.

I'll never forget the night Chipdogg (Jacob Kinnett) showed up at my house after driving many hours from Wisconsin with a surprise for me. The neon community had collected parts to do a MTX swap in the NYG and sent them along with him. They wanted nothing in return except the hope the parts would find their way into the car. He took me for a ride in his NYG that he was driving and the extra set of keys for my neon I had in my front pockets unknowingly fell out on the floor underneath the seat. It's a long story, but Jacob was able to return them to me several years later........ :lol:

I had good intentions of doing it, but I wanted to get the car running and inspected before I started tearing it apart. I was sure there was something wrong with the bottom end of the engine and it either needed to be rebuilt or replaced. I didn't have the knowledge/experience/tools/help or money to do it at that time. I had no place to store the car so I parked it in a vacant lot next to my house . It has been sitting there ever since....... :bash:
My True Story:
My older sister/husband sent me a selfie of them taking a test ride in a newer Corvette. They posted, "Going for a joy ride in our "dream car"
I immediately posted back......" Why dream small, I can put you in the driver's seat of a neon for a fraction of the price".......

U-Pulls are like a box of Chocolates.......you never know what you're going to find...... ;)

Oldest GUY on the .ORG with an ACR, a NYG, AND a R/T

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:34 pm

I can't believe we were even able to move the car. I know it has been sitting in the same spot for at least 10 years. It had actually started to sink down into the blacktop parking lot so I jacked it up several months ago, filled up the tires with air, and was able to turn the back wheels after spraying them up with brake cleaner. I put pieces of plywood under the tires to keep them from sinking back into the holes. Noah got in the car and put it in neutral while his dad and I tried to rock the car. I was stunned when it actually started moving......... :shock:

We only had to rock it several times and were able to begin pushing it backwards in hopes of turning it around. We easily pushed it up a slight grade and Noah slammed it back into Park. Noah's dad lined up the trailer and the car almost coasted onto it without any assistance...... :good:
My True Story:
My older sister/husband sent me a selfie of them taking a test ride in a newer Corvette. They posted, "Going for a joy ride in our "dream car"
I immediately posted back......" Why dream small, I can put you in the driver's seat of a neon for a fraction of the price".......

U-Pulls are like a box of Chocolates.......you never know what you're going to find...... ;)

Swankie40
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Swankie40 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:46 pm

I know it is probably a bitter sweet moment... Once I get it done I hope to bring it back out for a " Kissing Cousins Reunion" :lol: . You can come visit it any time you would like! :grin:
"There are no bad neons, just bad owners."

Main neons:
1995 Nitro-Yellow Green Sport Coupe
1996 Brilliant Blue ACR
1996 Black ACR
1997 Black Coupe
1999 Red Sport
1999 Deep Aymythyst ( Yellow Race Car )
Plus 16 more

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:41 pm

Here are some pics I took of the NYG just before they got here.......... :cry:
My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:44 pm

My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:58 pm

:bye:

My True Story:

Swankie40
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Swankie40 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:38 pm

I noticed on the computer it says "95 ACR DOHC" did that come out of a true ACR or did someone just put that sticker on there?

Main neons:
1996 Brilliant Blue ACR
1996 Black ACR
1997 Black Coupe
1999 Red Sport
Plus 16 more

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:52 pm

Swankie40 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:38 pm I noticed on the computer it says "95 ACR DOHC" did that come out of a true ACR or did someone just put that sticker on there?
I had some problems with blowing the fuel pump fuses while trying to start it and discovered a lot of problems with the wiring near the head where the harness wraps around it. If I remember correctly, it shorted out one time while trying to start it and I though maybe it caused some damage to the computer. I'm thinking I found a 95 ACR DOHC somewhere and swapped it in......... :dunno:

I should still have a project log somewhere........ :scratch:
My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:57 pm

Found it buried on page 8 of the project logs......I'll have to spend some time reading back through it. I haven't read it for years.

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=300073
My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:16 pm

WOW...... :shock:

Just quickly scrolled through my project log. Didn't realize how much I did with the car. It has a lot of photos/dates which is a great timeline of when I got a lot of parts. I now remember I got that computer from Tom Z who lived in Columbus, OH when I was at the MOPAR NATS one year and raced his neon on the strip.
My True Story:

alpinegreenneon
Super Moderator

Post by alpinegreenneon » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:19 pm

'95 DOHC ACR PCM part number is 5269718 or 4874164.
Case

98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
98 Sport Coupe DOHC Amethyst ATX to MTX swap
95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
03 Dakota QC 4.7 4x4 ATX Patriot Blue stock (Sold)
16 Dart SE 2.0L Laser Blue Pearl stock
16 Dart SXT 2.0L TorRed stock
18 Ram 1500 standard cab 3.6L Delmonico Red stock

Swankie40
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Swankie40 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:28 am

I do think I remembered you saying this was the car were the wires were all melted by the head? I will have to read the project log!

Main neons:
1996 Brilliant Blue ACR
1996 Black ACR
1997 Black Coupe
1999 Red Sport
Plus 16 more

Cragger
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Cragger » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:34 am

Sad, nah. Tis a good day. It gets to live on instead of being sold to salvage when that inevitable time when we make the final pit stop and our families have to deal with all our crap we leave on the track :)
Many are called, but few are chosen and many who are first, shall be fourth and many who are third will actually kick down into second. - James May

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:38 am

Psh, Tom will be out there junking when he's 90.... :grin:
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:17 am

occasional demons wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:38 am Psh, Tom will be out there junking when he's 90.... :grin:
I sure hope so.....but not for neon parts......... :nea:
My True Story:

vahispd
Site Supporter

Post by vahispd » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:30 pm

Cragger wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:34 am Sad, nah. Tis a good day. It gets to live on instead of being sold to salvage when that inevitable time when we make the final pit stop and our families have to deal with all our crap we leave on the track :)
Well said.
John

'99 Expresso sedan, DOHC, ATX, black - blown engine, parting out
'98 R/T coupe, white w/ stripe delete - new project June 2015, started working on her again Oct 2018

NickKo
Global Moderator

Post by NickKo » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:00 pm

Cragger wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:34 am Sad, nah. Tis a good day. It gets to live on instead of being sold to salvage when that inevitable time when we make the final pit stop and our families have to deal with all our crap we leave on the track :)
True !! :yes:

Years back, I had a 1970 Duster shell, that I hoped to make 'whole'.
After sitting for several years, I sold it to my brother's friend's dad, who was badgering me for the shell.
He is retired, so he had the time and space to put the car back together.... And put a 440 V-8 into it. :shock: (Which I sold to him as well)

Not only did I sell him a perfectly good car (shell), that he brought back to life....He also brought a 440 V-8 back to life, too.

So, we can take some comfort, when we know that the fruits of our labor, go on living. :smile:

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 52mm TB; Maddog STS
-1999 4-dr DOHC ATX= went to car heaven (junkyard)
-2000 Ply.LX with MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; R/T muffler + Header
-2001 Ddg.ES ATX = UDP, Magnum Header; + Syked PCM 'pending'

-1971 Ply.Scamp SL6cyl. ('Horse Traded' away)
-1968 Chry.300 w/440 V8 (sold)
"MoPar or No Car"

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:49 pm

Hi Nick.......... :bye:

Glad you chimed in with your experience....... :good:
My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:59 pm

NickKo wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:00 pm So, we can take some comfort, when we know that the fruits of our labor, go on living. :smile:

- Nick
Well said Nick....it's a good quote to end my days of owning this car knowing it will go on living for a few more years.
My True Story:

Return to “Project Logs”