My ten year plan..... going on a diet.

Tell your story about your personal project. Put together something no one else has? Show it off here with pictures and details! Project Logs are allowed within reason. Non Neon projects may be deleted at the Moderators whim. HINT: Keep it about Neons.
joesf
Site Supporter

My ten year plan..... going on a diet.

Post by joesf » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:26 am

(I may be starting this thread a little too soon but I thought I would go ahead anyway since I have pretty much found out every part I am going to use on my neon and I am simply waiting on the funds to buy everything I need. First off in 2004 I bought a Black 1998 R/T coupe I did very little to the car because I had many other projects and when I would finally get around to the neon I would always end up having to sell off everything I had acquired for the build(three times)
Now that I have a somewhat stable life I am back at it again and this car is pretty much all I think about. I have two goals in mind for this car, the 1st goal I have is a turbo 2.4 that is roughly 300hp and capable of running 11.5 in a 1/4 while still being able to drive it to town on weekends or for meets. The second goal is to have the same dependability and make somewhere around 600-650 hp. I have done a lot of research and I know I will have to do a lot more but since this project probably won't be done for another two years hopefully I will learn what I need to accomplish my goals. Oh and I have little to no interest in autocross I have always wanted this to be a straight line car and it probably always will be. Below I am going to list the setup I plan on running,what I have and what I need to get. Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated this list will mainly be for my 1st setup with little change when I decide that I want to go for my second goal mainly being turbo,manifold,wastegate,and BOV.

Ohhhhhhh yeah this car will being running nothing but E85

Things I already own for the build.
  • Custom box intake manifold
    Weld import 13x9 wheels
    MT 24.5x9x13
    MPx Underdrive Pulley
    2.7 Rockers/Followers
    PT Lash Adjusters
    Solid trans to k member mount
    1997 Dodge Stratus block with crank.
    Passanger side motor mount adapter
    1200cc injectors
    SRT4 turbofold w/turbo, Greddy BOV and forward motion WGA
    Elbow deleted/external gate Turbofold for later
    SRT Pistons and Rods with ARP bolts and new OEM Rings
    OEM SRT Main Bearings(had to buy undersized Kings)
    OEM SRT Rod Bearing (had to buy undersized Kings)
    OEM SRT Front Main Seal
    OEM SRT Rear Main Seal
    OEM SRT Main Bolt Set
    ARP Head Studs
    Cometic Street Pro Top end set
    Turned Down SRT Clutch
    SRT Oil Pan
    OEM SRT oil pump
    Stainless braided Turbo oil lines.
    AEM UEGO Wideband kit
    MS3x v3 board with external map.
    Ishihara-Johnson Dual Crank scraper w/ Windage tray,baffles and trap doors.
    Aeromotive a1000 FPR
    Aeromotive a1000 Fuel Pump
    Aeromotive Pre and Post Pump Fuel Filters
    Fuel Feed and Return
    5gal Fuel Cell
    3" SRT Downpipe
    3" 02
    New exhaust bolts
    EGR Block off
    Fully sequential injection/ignition
    K series COP
    Upgraded grounds and power wires
    Upgraded Fuel pump wiring
    Same side in/out intercooler and piping
    Deyeme Racing Engine and Trans Mounts
I will probably not buy most of this new I just like having the reference here for me and everyone else and again if anyone has any suggestions on anything please feel free to comment. It will take me quite some time to aquire everything on this list but I am a pretty patient person and I feel confident that I will reach both of my goals EVENTUALLY but in the mean time I will just keep researching and buying parts here and there I should be able to get a good bit of things for the car around October/November and then probably Megasquirt(hopefully more) in Feburary/March when taxes roll in.

This car came factory without stripes or any power options. I am currentlly in process of swaping in power mirrors,windows,and locks.
Last edited by joesf on Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:26 am, edited 30 times in total.
Black 1998 R/T Coupe - 2.4 Turbo Project finally going into motion after waiting for 8 years!
See the extremely slow progress of my build Here

Download Tapatalk for your smartphone or tablet Here
Tapatalk is a great app for people on the go or for those without home internet service.

jimbo in MI wrote:Yea, my advice is don't.

joesf
Site Supporter

Re: My ten year plan

Post by joesf » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:41 pm

Found several people selling AEM 1913 and 1910s reasonably cheap thinking of starting with one until i out grow the piggy backs capability and then upgrading to a MS unit since the MS II unit i want with all the features i want and accessories will cost around $500 more than the AEM units I am looking at. Also currently trying to work out deals for Mpx 3" 02 and underdrive pulley

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Black 1998 R/T Coupe - 2.4 Turbo Project finally going into motion after waiting for 8 years!

Tapatalk is a great app for people on the go or for those without home internet service.

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:56 am

Well I ended up grabbing an AEM 1913 FIC for a respectable price. It should be at my front door by the end of the day. The harness is already setup with a plug on the factory ecu side and wires already swapped for a 2.4 since that's the setup Flylike2kites was running so I lucked up there....btw thanks a ton man.

BlackRT?
Site Supporter

Post by BlackRT? » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:30 am

i have a slightly used semi solid booble strut if your interested
98 R/T Coupe 2.4L 6766 t4, billet 292 cams and e85 awesomeness
Because Racecar.. ASPturbo.com
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=291291

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:40 am

pm'd

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:23 am

Picked up a factory WGA for 20 bucks shipped yesterday so that's one less thing to worry about.

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:38 am

Made a deal for srt internals with ARP rod bolts ,srt oil pan with return line bung prewelded(10 an)and oil feed(4 an)/water return line(6 an) as well as the fittings for the block to attach them.

flylike2kites
Site Supporter

Post by flylike2kites » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:06 am

joesf wrote:Well I ended up grabbing an AEM 1913 FIC for a respectable price. It should be at my front door by the end of the day. The harness is already setup with a plug on the factory ecu side and wires already swapped for a 2.4 since that's the setup Flylike2kites was running so I lucked up there....btw thanks a ton man.

Not a problem.

You'd better go fast.

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:00 pm

Got some srt pistons and rods with arp bolt in today along with srt oil pan with 10 an return line fitting already welded into pan...also got braided stainless steel lines for oil feed and water return for the turbo. Still need a good bit but I am working my way there slowly(very slowly) but surely.....I should be getting a lot more parts within the next month or so...The inital list I posted will be my eventual setup and I will run the "cheaper" srt internaled setup untill I aquire all the needed parts to upgrade....baby steps lol I feel a lot more comfortable running the srt internals and all in the event my 1st crack at tuning turns out to be a disaster.

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:01 pm

Got the block checked yesterday it has a good standard bore so I will be able to use srt pistons for now, I was pretty happy about that also talked to a guy about getting a intake manifold built more to come on that later

NickKo
Global Moderator

Post by NickKo » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:50 am

I should say that this is a great name for a Project Log.

All of my Neons, seem to be on a ten-year plan. :grin:

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 52mm TB; Maddog STS
-1999 4-dr DOHC ATX= went to car heaven (junkyard)
-2000 Ply.LX with MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; R/T muffler + Header
-2001 Ddg.ES ATX = UDP, Magnum Header; + Syked PCM 'pending'

-1971 Ply.Scamp SL6cyl. ('Horse Traded' away)
-1968 Chry.300 w/440 V8 (sold)
"MoPar or No Car"

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:05 am

Got everything for the bottom end squared away I talked to my machinist this morning and I am getting them to make an oil restrictor for the block measuring 0.120". I will be taking the bottom end over to them next week and have them hone the cylinders,install the restrictor,polish the crank,clean the block and assemble the short block minus the oil pan because I will be installing a crank scrapper/windage tray before I close it up.

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:50 pm

Waiting on my daughter to get off the bus from school and we are heading over to the machine shop to drop off the block...I ordered everything the machine shop needs to get the bottom end back together and I am hoping it will be here before they get to my motor. I am pretty sure it will be because all the stuff I ordered from modern and from what I hear they have pretty quick shipping and my machinist says they have atleast a week wait on motors. If you guys see anything I missed let me know. I already had pistons and rods rod bolts. I won't be putting the pan on until I get my crank scraper/windage tray.

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:17 pm

Well that didn't go according to plan ....on my way to the machine shop I guess I didn't see a stop sign on the old country road I was on and a state trooper pulled me over and made me wait just long enough to make it impossible to make it to the shop before they closed. Yes I got a ticket said I ran a stop sign at 20 mph which is untrue unless I completely missed the sign and a warning for speeding of which I'm sure was true but he couldn't clock me because he wasn't in his car so he couldn't get a reading which is probably why he gave a warning. Ticket for the stop sign I "ran" at 20mph but I was speeding in 35mph zone will be around 200 bucks lol oh well.

flylike2kites
Site Supporter

Post by flylike2kites » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:54 pm

Just wait until the car is done....

...yeah they'll be hounding you....

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:58 pm

oh yeah I remember those days

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:50 pm

Well got all the stuff I needed for the bottom end today it was like Christmas was already here

Forgot to mention somewhere in here I also got the motor mount adapter I needed.

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:48 pm

Got my bottom end dropped off at the machine shop friday, FINALLY, guy says it is atleast a week wait maybe longer so maybe I will have it back before Christmas. Also my ticket ended up being $206 for anyone wondering. Anyway just a recap the block is getting hot tanked,honed,0.120" Oil restrictor to the head,and short blocked with SRT parts. With me buying the parts it ended up being $290.

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:15 pm

Well machine shop called and apparently I have a good factory bore but not crank bad thing is I've already bought standard sized mopar bearings but I guess that was my fault for jumping the gun. I didn't want to use Clevite with the track record they have as of late but I may just end up trying out some King or ACL undersized rod and mains I haven't heard anything bad about them but then again the good things I've heard about them wasn't recent either.

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:43 am

Checked with the dealer on a crank for kicks since everyone seems to be saying how cheap they are for the srt4 HA! not the early 2.4s $483+tax and a week wait. Undersized bearings it is.

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:02 am

Got an MPx underdrive pulley from the fiance for Christmas so one more part down lol. I also lucked up and got a lot of tools I will need to work on the suspension for when I powder coat some of it and replace the worn out bushings but I still need a press before I do that. Got some pretty neat things coming in soon just taking my time with most of it so I don't get ahead of myself and make more mistakes than I have to......annnnnnnnnd money, yeah that too. I will probably be like most and make a lot of purchases after my tax refund until then slow and steady wins the race.

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:00 am

Got some 1000cc injectors to use later and still waiting on the bottom end from the machine shop not that I'm in a hurry but they said it would be done 12/21/12 guess they assumed the world would end.

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:46 am

Was supposed to start pulling get motor/trans this weekend but the only engine hoist I could borrow is about 4 hrs away sooooooo looks like that's not happening unless I can find someone selling them local

mopar2
Neon Enthusiast

Post by mopar2 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:06 am

You should be able to purchase one from a local parts store, Harbor Freight, any other Auto and Farm supply stores.
2001 Plymouth Neon, Borla/Mopar Performance Exhaust
1997 Dodge Neon Coupe, 2.4 Turbo

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:15 am

I found one at harbor freight about an hour away for $180 guess I didn't realize how much they were oh well I'll need it a lot more than one time

Every store near me only has 2ton for like $250+

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:19 pm

Talked to the machine shop again today and they said that the guy they order bearings from still hasn't got back with them so I told them I would just order them myself. I wish I could have seen it coming because I would have just ordered them a month ago. Anyway got the bearings ordered from MAPerformance today and hopefully they will be here by next Friday so I can take them to the machine shop and they can finish up the bottom end. I was talking to my mom and she tells me she has a friend with an engine hoist not to buy one so I guess I will wait till tomorrow before I go spending any money on one lol.

niceguy
Site Supporter

Post by niceguy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:18 pm

joesf wrote:Talked to the machine shop again today and they said that the guy they order bearings from still hasn't got back with them so I told them I would just order them myself. I wish I could have seen it coming because I would have just ordered them a month ago. Anyway got the bearings ordered from MAPerformance today and hopefully they will be here by next Friday so I can take them to the machine shop and they can finish up the bottom end. I was talking to my mom and she tells me she has a friend with an engine hoist not to buy one so I guess I will wait till tomorrow before I go spending any money on one lol.
What head you going to run? ;-)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:55 pm

niceguy wrote: What head you going to run? ;-)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Some trash head I got sitting in the corner lol

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:38 am

Not much of an update got the engine and trans pulled Saturday after I figured out a wiring issue so I could move it. Bearings should be here Thursday I'll take them to the machine shop on Friday since that's one of my off days. Thinking about selling my trans if I can ship it like I've seen the turbo dodge guys do or if it won't require a dock on the other end since I'll be going with a different upgraded unit. They ship them for around $100 apparently. Anyway Kevin Johnson @ Ishihara-Johnson Crank Scrapers told me they already have orders for three of the units I'm getting so I'm getting my order in to have it here asap since I'm sure with me forth in line it will be quite awhile. I am also ordering a Cometic streetpro top end set so once the bottom finally gets done they will be here.

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:51 am

Bearings came in yesterday afternoon I'll drop them off this afternoon because I just got off two hours ago and I also just called the machine shop and asked for my machinist and was told he had to have a minor surgery on his arm soooo that's not promising and I really don't want to rush anyone to do precision work after surgery so I guess it's done when it's done not like I'm ready for it but I would like to get it on the stand.

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:43 pm

Well picked up the bottom end today from the machine shop, what a disaster. First of all I got there and they hadn't installed the oil pump, then WTF the bedplate isn't on, nope no rear seal either. ummmmmm why? So I had to wait for them to install everything after waiting over 2 months on it to be finished. The owner must have apologized about 1000 times while he finished putting it together and also knocked a little off the bill so I can't be too upset I guess the man has been fighting a terrible shoulder problem for about 2 yrs and just had surgery so I gave him the benifit of the doubt plus he is the best machine shop within several counties. ANYWAY I got it all over to my dad’s garage because mine is getting a little full with all the parts from tear down and my parts room is also with new parts coming in so i'll probably do all my engine assembly there. I have a IJ crankscraper, cometic head set, and a few other things coming in I didn't have time to pull my old head because I woke up late so I will probably drop it off a week from today and the owner assured me it won't take anywhere close to the same amount of time lol I sure hope not.

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:01 pm

Little delay on getting the head to the machine shop but I got it there early this morning and will pick it up next week just waiting in parts for now.

bshurden
Site Supporter

Post by bshurden » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:06 pm

Ready to see this one done...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
99 4dr 2.4 swap, Hahn s20g, ms2, 2 stage boost controller, s1 injectors for now, indy runners with box plenum intake, srt rods, arias 8.6 : 1 oversized pistons, port matched head, gaskets, and manifolds, 2.0 cams.... Buying more every day inching closer to that 400hp mark.

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:24 pm

bshurden wrote:Ready to see this one done...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Me and you both

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:46 am

Should be picking up head this afternoon if I can crawl out of bed in time I'm exhausted and I won't be home for at least another 2 hrs but I'm going to try and go. I will probably post a few pictures of the fresh head and bottom end.....Maybe

neonmike2000
Site Supporter

Post by neonmike2000 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:17 pm

Sound like this is going to be a great ride! Love to see more pics.
'99 Neon ACR "GR8WHYT"
'98 Neon 2.4 turbo "Lagzila" For Sale :cry:
'99 Neon R/T(SOLD)
'96 Neon "Green Hulk" Went to Neon Heaven.
'10 Dodge Caravan "wifes"
My Feed Back
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=365314

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:27 pm

neonmike2000 wrote:Sound like this is going to be a great ride! Love to see more pics.
soon to come lol I didn't want to use my cell phone for anymore pictures if I can help it.

niceguy
Site Supporter

Post by niceguy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:54 pm

joesf wrote:
neonmike2000 wrote:Sound like this is going to be a great ride! Love to see more pics.
soon to come lol I didn't want to use my cell phone for anymore pictures if I can help it.
Why not? My phone is nicer than the wifes old hand me down as long as I remember to wipe it off before I snap a pic lol.

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:55 pm

Poor lighting and my flash on my phone is way to bright to be taking pictures of freshly machined aluminium

joesf
Site Supporter

Post by joesf » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:55 pm

When I was taking the exhaust manifold off the head before I took it to the machine shop I broke off 4 studs. Well I got three out no problem then on the fourth everything seemed fine and the stud SEEMED to be coming out and then a really loud pop. I broke off my ease out in the stud, GREAT lol. Not sure what they will charge but I'm taking the head back to have the machine shop extract the stud/ease out. After I get it back I'll be installing new exhaust/head studs and start trying to get this motor finished off. Then the trans rebuild and/or the suspension etc etc.

Return to “Project Logs”