Neon Challenge History

The Autocross, Rally, Road Racing, Circle Track Board is the home of detailed discussions of SCCA and other sanctioned competition, including handling and race dynamics, event discussion, and general SCCA babble.
plainrt
Neon Enthusiast

Re: Neon Challenge History

Post by plainrt » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:40 am

Lol wanted that car
Blah blah

Rookie38
New

Post by Rookie38 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:30 pm

I’ve procrastinated long enough. Time for a long overdue update on Celebrity Challenge #8. I purchased the car almost two years ago. Throughout 2015, I tried several times to get the car out on the track for performance driving events. Each time, some last-minute car problem would crop up, thwarting my efforts and forcing me to fall back on my ’97 ACR (street car).

Winter of 2015-2106, I pressed to get the car ready for racing in the 2016 season. The car has been prepped for SCCA T4—rollcage upgrade, stripped interior, new seat and harness. To the extent possible I’m trying to keep the changes “reversible”. In March, I took the car through driver’s school and got my novice competition license. Since then, I’ve participated in three race weekends and a few PDX events. My home SCCA region is WDCR (Washington DC), and so far, I’ve only participated in events at Summit Point Motorsports Park, West Virginia. In this region, T4 is grouped with ITA, ITR, SM5, SRX7, and T3. I’m pretty much a back marker. My best time is a 1:36.6. As a point of reference, back in 1995 Neil Sapp held the track record for SSC in a Neon at 1:34.5. Of course, that was probably a SOHC car with full interior, etc. These days the top runners in the group are turning upper 1:25’s/lower1:26’s.

Well, that’s all for now. Next (and probably last for me this year) race weekend is Oct 1.
1995 ACR Coupe (#8 Challenge, 2014-present)
1997 ACR Coupe (2003-Present)
Gone:
1995 Sport Sedan (April 1994-2004)

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:23 am

Rookie38 wrote:I’ve procrastinated long enough. Time for a long overdue update on Celebrity Challenge #8.
Thanks for the update...it's always nice to see what happened to some of the original Challenge cars. I have a ton of memorabilia and recently picked up a badge holder and tickets from the 1995 Grand Prix in Cleveland....I'd love to find the ticket for the holder, but I know the odds are almost zero..... :sad:

The race was won by the #5 car driven by Sean Patrick Flanery.......here are two web sites with info........

http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2015/01 ... lenge.html

Neon Celebrity Challenge Cleveland, OH July 21-23, 1995 Sean Won

http://sean_patrick_flanery.tripod.com/seanpatrickflaneryfansite/id18.html
My True Story:
My older sister/husband sent me a selfie of them taking a test ride in a newer Corvette. They posted, "Going for a joy ride in our "dream car"
I immediately posted back......" Why dream small, I can put you in the driver's seat of a neon for a fraction of the price".......

U-Pulls are like a box of Chocolates.......you never know what you're going to find...... ;)

Oldest GUY on the .ORG with an ACR, a NYG, AND a R/T

Rookie38
New

Post by Rookie38 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:23 pm

Cool stuff. Best as I can tell, looking back through this forum, #8 was driven by stars Lorenzo Lamas and Perry King. The best it ever did was a second place at the hands of Jay Ricci. Eventually, after I finish racing it, I'd like to restore it back to it's original, end-of-challenge-career form. I'd be interested in obtaining any appliques or decals if anyone has extras.
1995 ACR Coupe (#8 Challenge, 2014-present)
1997 ACR Coupe (2003-Present)
Gone:
1995 Sport Sedan (April 1994-2004)

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:54 pm

Rookie38 wrote: I'd be interested in obtaining any appliques or decals if anyone has extras.
:lol:

Good luck finding any....I haven't seen anything for years.
My True Story:
My older sister/husband sent me a selfie of them taking a test ride in a newer Corvette. They posted, "Going for a joy ride in our "dream car"
I immediately posted back......" Why dream small, I can put you in the driver's seat of a neon for a fraction of the price".......

U-Pulls are like a box of Chocolates.......you never know what you're going to find...... ;)

Dodgedave68
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Dodgedave68 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:57 pm

I have a February Build White 1995 ACR, it was number 73 in SSB category, it obviously wasnt a challenge car, but had the neon racing decal on the hood and rear quarters. SCCA decals too. looks like its last race was 3/27/98 at the mid-south region SCCA event

it seems like it may not have been titled until much later in life. Anyone know about the car.

LOve to buy a set of NEON Racing decals for it

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:57 am

Dodgedave68 wrote: LOve to buy a set of NEON Racing decals for it
There has been talk over the years about someone duplicating them, but I don't think it ever happened..... :dunno:
My True Story:

Dodgedave68
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Dodgedave68 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:59 pm

I have a guy thats going to try - he is trying to find a set he can look at - on or off a car.

we are going to put mine back how it looked in Feb of 1995. so lots of decals to collect. Id post a pic, but cant seem to do it LOL.

he wants to make the NEON windshield decal as well, even though my car didnt have one.

I just noticed mines a PLYMOUTH, with the Chrysler pentastar on the hood. (think the hood is aftermarket (not painted underneath, kinda a greyish color) - trying to find out and source and original white one.

Anyone out there trying to determine build dates to serial numbers? mines got to be a very early coupe

Dodgedave68
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Dodgedave68 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:00 pm

Just Picked up Ray Sjoberg's challenge car - #1 on the doors,

DJScorpio67
Neon Enthusiast

Post by DJScorpio67 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:47 am

Someone did successfully duplicate the neon racing decals. I'll if can member who it was...
95 Plymouth SC DOHC MTX
Plymouth- The name is gone, but it's legend lives on!!!
http://richweb.allpar.net/Neontao.htm
All must read of the TAO ^^^
http://www.autoblog.com/2005/10/07/look ... odge-neon/
PA ACR wrote:My neon was born and my heart is in Belvidere... :good:
ACR MAN wrote: It smells alcohol-y. The car gets the DUI, not the driver!
NeonNytes wrote:You should start some kind of Neon protection agency now :D Call it N.E.R.D. Neon Enthusiast Refurbishing Division.

DancingBearsRacing
New

Post by DancingBearsRacing » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:34 pm

Hi, Bob Kleinman here... Dancing Bears Racing... currently in Somers NY and NYC

I did own a few Neon ACR racecars along the way... as noted ...

I'm still alive... dealing with health issues but mostly happy...

Living with Lympohoma (now active treatment) and ALS (also in treatment)... I've lost use of my left hand ... but can still walk...

I do have oodles of Neon "stuff" much free to anyone coming to pick it up... rotors and parts

I do have livery decals still for NEON CHALLENGE... and lots of NEON things

Highest regards,

Bob Kleinman

DancingBearsRacing
New

Post by DancingBearsRacing » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:44 pm

How can I post a photo?

doerun
Global Moderator

Post by doerun » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:14 pm

DancingBearsRacing wrote:Hi, Bob Kleinman here... Dancing Bears Racing... currently in Somers NY and NYC

I did own a few Neon ACR racecars along the way... as noted ...

I'm still alive... dealing with health issues but mostly happy...

Living with Lympohoma (now active treatment) and ALS (also in treatment)... I've lost use of my left hand ... but can still walk...

I do have oodles of Neon "stuff" much free to anyone coming to pick it up... rotors and parts

I do have livery decals still for NEON CHALLENGE... and lots of NEON things

Highest regards,

Bob Kleinman
Bob i pmd you

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:37 pm

PM'd you Bob. To post a picture here you have to host it somewhere on the internet....a lot of guys are using Imgur right now, it's free too.....

https://imgur.com/

If you don't know how to do it that way, you can email me the pic and I'll post it for you. I just sent you an email.
My True Story:

bones_mcgregor
Neon Enthusiast

Post by bones_mcgregor » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:35 pm

Emailed you, Mr. Kleinman!
1995 Dodge ACR coupe #18 Challenge
1995 Dodge ACR coupe NYG
1999 Dodge R/T coupe Bright White/Brilliant Blue

"The Tao exists in the mind of a Neon owner where no concern with resale value can be found. To him, it resembles calculating the resale value of his children."

Dodgedave68
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Dodgedave68 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:00 pm

Did anyone ever remake the body graphics?

I have Neon Challenge car #1 and was thinking of changing a door with a dent - but not going to unless I can buy a Graphic for the new door

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Tue May 21, 2019 8:52 pm

Dodgedave68 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:00 pm Did anyone ever remake the body graphics?

I have Neon Challenge car #1 and was thinking of changing a door with a dent - but not going to unless I can buy a Graphic for the new door
:nea:

There was a guy up in Canada several years ago who had a complete original set. I was trying to buy them...not to use but for hopefully a template which could be used to make replicas. Somehow we lost contact with each other and I never heard anything about them after that...... :dunno:
My True Story:

Dodgedave68
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Dodgedave68 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:55 pm

HEY - My Challenge sedan #1 has the same #5 pics in its log book

GregsteNeon
Neon Enthusiast

Post by GregsteNeon » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:41 pm

PA ACR wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:52 pm
Dodgedave68 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:00 pm Did anyone ever remake the body graphics?

:nea:

There was a guy up in Canada several years ago who had a complete original set. I was trying to buy them...not to use but for hopefully a template which could be used to make replicas. Somehow we lost contact with each other and I never heard anything about them after that...... :dunno:
I got sent this thread.

I had copies of the Chrysler Corp decals and PPG on my car years ago. The Neon Racing decals I had were original.

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:11 am

GregsteNeon wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:41 pm I had copies of the Chrysler Corp decals and PPG on my car years ago. The Neon Racing decals I had were original.
Do you still have them...... :dunno:

PM sent
My True Story:

GregsteNeon
Neon Enthusiast

Post by GregsteNeon » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:57 pm

I'll have to check some boxes I have in storage. I might have a couple fridge magnets/helmet stickers and some Brookfield's models. Long story short I've not had a Neon since 2011 ish and sold off whatever parts I had to chumpcar guys. Since 2014/15 our time has been split between here and the UK/EU. With the current situation we are having a hard time adjusting to life in North America so I start getting ideas of trying to buy a 1st gen again for some late 30s midlife crisis adventure. However they no longer exist so I settled for a new Mini S with JB4/ Goodies and 19 C300 Wagon

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:58 pm

GregsteNeon wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:57 pm I'll have to check some boxes I have in storage. I might have a couple fridge magnets/helmet stickers and some Brookfield's models.
Let me know what you find....I might be interested in them..... :good:
My True Story:

bones_mcgregor
Neon Enthusiast

Post by bones_mcgregor » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:52 pm

I'm researching the original Challenge cars as thoroughly as I can, trying to be a sponge for information. Couple questions thus far:

Does anyone know who ACRucrazy is? Does anyone have a lead on how to contact him?

How were the tail lights "covered" on the '98 season R/T livery challenge cars?
1995 Dodge ACR coupe NYG

"The Tao exists in the mind of a Neon owner where no concern with resale value can be found. To him, it resembles calculating the resale value of his children."

Drakito
Sponsoring Dealer

Post by Drakito » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:10 pm

ACRuCrazy worked for Best Buy in Minneapolis on the Geek Squad secret weapon as national tech support for the automotive techs. I know his real name, but not going to throw it out there. Doing a real quick check he hasn't been online anywhere since 2016. His accounts on Viper owners, here at neons.org, Corvette forums, srt forums, etc have had ZERO activity since 2016. His facebook profile is the same for his real name, nothing since 2016.

Edit:
Clarification in post much further below.
I had the wrong Chris.
Last edited by Drakito on Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:18 pm

:cry:

Well that's kind of depressing...

You just never know most of the time when someone just disappears, if they just got burned out, or there was no one in their family that even knew (or cared) they were part of an online community.
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

bones_mcgregor
Neon Enthusiast

Post by bones_mcgregor » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:20 pm

Drakito wrote:ACRuCrazy worked for Best Buy in Minneapolis on the Geek Squad secret weapon as national tech support for the automotive techs. I know his real name, but not going to throw it out there. Doing a real quick check he hasn't been online anywhere since 2016. His accounts on Viper owners, here at neons.org, Corvette forums, srt forums, etc have had ZERO activity since 2016. His facebook profile is the same for his real name, nothing since 2016.

Edit:
Removed as I might have the wrong Chris.
1995 Dodge ACR coupe NYG

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:35 pm

Drakito wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:10 pm I checked in with some of our mutual acquaintances and it looks like he died from some random health issue that popped up in late 2016.
:shock:

First I heard of this........

There was a guy at N2K17 in Minneapolis with a Viper and went along on the Cruise along the St.Croix River. For some reason, I assumed it was him. Like I told Austin, there was a small group of MN guys who hung out together at the N2Ks. They didn't really mingle much with the rest of the group.

My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:48 pm

This is Jeff Ball's Hellcat and that's him looking at the Viper. I think the owner of the Viper is standing behind it.

My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:52 pm

Pretty sure this was Chris's car at N2K08........ :dunno:

My True Story:

Drakito
Sponsoring Dealer

Post by Drakito » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:54 pm

I think I got his last name wrong and asked about the wrong Chris to some old acquaintances. I edited my original post above until I can get some clarification.

Edit:
ACRucRazy is alive, but is dark everywhere online for whatever reason now. I've done it a few times in the last 20 years for personal reasons myself.
The person I asked about with some mutual acquaintances did pass away, but is not ACRucrazy, and was never on neons.org

bones_mcgregor
Neon Enthusiast

Post by bones_mcgregor » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:33 pm

New owner of #18 checking in! I want to restore 18 back to racing trim and the R/T livery. I'm going to have a pile of questions lol

1995 Dodge ACR coupe NYG

Return to “Autocross/Rally/Road Racing/Circle Track”