cowl plenum intake?

The Engine Performance Board is for detailed discussions of all mechanical aspects of engine performance, including intake and
exhaust, cam and crankshaft, and all other technical aspects of the Neon powerplant. Please refer all general maintenance and repair questions to the General Forums above.
dusterbd13
Neon Enthusiast

cowl plenum intake?

Post by dusterbd13 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:37 pm

not sure if its actually been done before. if so, I haven't found it by searching.

my thought:

98 Rt, 2.4 swap with an ebay warm air intake (came with the swap stuff), ported intake and throttle body, mopar tri-y header, thermal r&d exhaust, etc. in other words, absolutely nothing special. its a daily beater. (600 miles this week)

my thought, which may or may not be a horrible idea, is to build a box around the cone filter that seals off the engine bay air from the filter. then, cut or drill some holes into the cowl plenum (where the wipers reside) where it can draw in cooler outside air, with a possible ram air effect due to the high pressure area there.

horrible idea? been done? have pics or a thread about it that I cant find?
honestly, this thought exercise is really me procrastinating on pulling the trans back out of the car to fix the speedo ring gear....
Michael Crawford
1997 Lapis Blue ACR
1998 white r/t
1970 Plymouth Duster
1995 silverado stepside 5/7 dropped lowrider shop truck
1999 miata 3400v6 swapped autocross car

owner/operator of Hellbilly Hotrods in Albemarle, NC

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Re: cowl plenum intake?

Post by occasional demons » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:06 pm

I have thought about the idea (as far as it ever got), but I was thinking of having the filter in the cowl, fabbing a tube through the cowl, and a flexible duct section for engine movement.

As far as any ram air effect, there probably isn't a lot there.
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:58 am

dusterbd13 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:37 pm not sure if its actually been done before. if so, I haven't found it by searching.

my thought:

my thought, which may or may not be a horrible idea, is to build a box around the cone filter that seals off the engine bay air from the filter. then, cut or drill some holes into the cowl plenum (where the wipers reside) where it can draw in cooler outside air, with a possible ram air effect due to the high pressure area there.

It's been done before. I don't recall if there was much of a benefit other than having cool air. I'd have to think there might be some issues with water because it collectes there.
My True Story:
My older sister/husband sent me a selfie of them taking a test ride in a newer Corvette. They posted, "Going for a joy ride in our "dream car"
I immediately posted back......" Why dream small, I can put you in the driver's seat of a neon for a fraction of the price".......

U-Pulls are like a box of Chocolates.......you never know what you're going to find...... ;)

Oldest GUY on the .ORG with an ACR, a NYG, AND a R/T

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:47 am

PA ACR wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:58 am
dusterbd13 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:37 pm not sure if its actually been done before. if so, I haven't found it by searching.

my thought:

It's been done before. I don't recall if there was much of a benefit other than having cool air. I'd have to think there might be some issues with water because it collectes there.
Then you have a good excuse to clean it out now and then. :grin:

As long as the ends are kept free of debris, it drains pretty well. Just position the filter, or inlet below the closed off portion of the cowl screen, so heavy downpours, and 60 mph don't dump directly on it.

Of course if it's raining that hard, slowing down is best. I've been caught in some heavy duty rain fall, where the whole freeway came to a stop, and never had water come in the cabin. When the rain began swirling, I moved over to the median side of the road, and got out of there. Vision be damned! Well, I did have a decent coat of Rain X, so that probably saved me. :lol:

This was coming home from Carlisle one year. IIRC, it was in the Clearfield area.
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

LenAyala
Neon Enthusiast

Post by LenAyala » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:25 am

The Iceman intake location is still a better place than the cowl. Works better, and the only downside is sucking up water if you drive through a deep puddle after a rainstorm.

Professor_Brap
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Professor_Brap » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:26 am

Im on the iceman train.
2001 R/T -Tabbie
1993 Build date Iris Sedan- Tamaryn
1996 Strawberry Sedan- RTVberry
1998 Neon R/T Coupe 2.4 swapped- aR/Tic
bunch of other FWD 80s-90s Mopars.

dusterbd13
Neon Enthusiast

Post by dusterbd13 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:13 pm

I have an iceman for fhe acr. This was just a fleeting thought that semed like a good idea at the time, but doesn't really pass the cost/time/benifit ratio at this point.
Michael Crawford
1997 Lapis Blue ACR
1998 white r/t
1970 Plymouth Duster
1995 silverado stepside 5/7 dropped lowrider shop truck
1999 miata 3400v6 swapped autocross car

owner/operator of Hellbilly Hotrods in Albemarle, NC

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:25 am

It might be worthwhile, if you regularly drive into deep puddles....

:lol:
- Bill

CJDtech86
New

Post by CJDtech86 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:21 pm

I have been plotting a "ram air " setup using the iceman location but then using the factory filter box with a k&n filter on the end of the iceman scooping air from the radio support hole and bumper openings...thoughts?

NickKo
Global Moderator

Post by NickKo » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:30 pm

CJDtech86 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:21 pm I have been plotting a "ram air " setup using the iceman location but then using the factory filter box with a k&n filter on the end of the iceman scooping air from the radio support hole and bumper openings...thoughts?
It's not a bad idea, but I don't think the gains would be huge.
If you can do it without spending a ton ( Like using junkyard parts, modifying stuff to work for this application, etc.) I say, sure why not !!

If you try this, you may want to take a couple of 1/4 mile runs, 'before' and 'after'.
For such 1/4 mi. tests to be meaningful, it would be best if conditions were as similar as possible, assuming this is done on two different days. (I'm referring to temperature and humidity, fuel, spark plugs, etc.)

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 52mm TB; Maddog STS
-1999 4-dr DOHC ATX= went to car heaven (junkyard)
-2000 Ply.LX with MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; R/T muffler + Header
-2001 Ddg.ES ATX = UDP, Magnum Header; + Syked PCM 'pending'

-1971 Ply.Scamp SL6cyl. ('Horse Traded' away)
-1968 Chry.300 w/440 V8 (sold)
"MoPar or No Car"

vahispd
Site Supporter

Post by vahispd » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:12 pm

Allpar had a photo of a cowl air intake setup. Not sure if it's still up or not.
John

'99 Expresso sedan, DOHC, ATX, black - blown engine, parting out
'98 R/T coupe, white w/ stripe delete - new project June 2015, started working on her again Oct 2018

vahispd
Site Supporter

Post by vahispd » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:18 pm

Found it "https://www.allpar.com/neon/performance.html". Top of the page has a general pic and short write-up for a '95.
John

'99 Expresso sedan, DOHC, ATX, black - blown engine, parting out
'98 R/T coupe, white w/ stripe delete - new project June 2015, started working on her again Oct 2018

Return to “Engine Performance”