Minnesota Neons Fall Cruise

For listing of Neon specific, or Neon related gatherings/events.
Midnight Rider
Neon Enthusiast

Minnesota Neons Fall Cruise

Post by Midnight Rider » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:35 pm

Thread now updated with info for Fall Cruise.
Last edited by Midnight Rider on Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4, Stage 2 with Toys- original owner!

Snapdragon
Server Administrator

Re: Minnesota Neons Spring Meet- any news?

Post by Snapdragon » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:45 pm

I am making plans to go through Minnaepolis the last week of April. Don't hinge anything upon me but it would be a neat coincidence and I might be able to meet some old time org'ers if it lined up.
[09:24] Snapdragon: Jesus christ
[09:24] Matt W: no, my name is matt. thanks for the upgrade tho

I finally own a 4 banger turbo, but it's a Mk7 Golf R :pardon:

Midnight Rider
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Midnight Rider » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:58 pm

The last week? Darn, I'll be back to work then. Shoot.

Midnight Rider
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Midnight Rider » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:23 am

Anyone?

loserlee
Site Supporter

Post by loserlee » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:29 am

Minnesota Spring meet is typically the 1st or 2nd weekend in May. It all depends on weather, really.. and how long it takes for snow to disappear and the temps to get decent. Nothing has been planned yet.

Midnight Rider
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Midnight Rider » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:32 am

Okay. Thanks for letting me know. I won't be able to attend if things happen in May.

loserlee
Site Supporter

Post by loserlee » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:25 pm

Currently cancelled/postponed due to current events. Hopefully we will be able to get a meet together sometime this summer.

Midnight Rider
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Midnight Rider » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:14 pm

Summer vacation for me is reserved for Carlisle but I have time off in October. Any chance for a fall meet?

Snapdragon
Server Administrator

Post by Snapdragon » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:47 am

Yeah, so, I obviously didn't make it. :cry:
[09:24] Snapdragon: Jesus christ
[09:24] Matt W: no, my name is matt. thanks for the upgrade tho

I finally own a 4 banger turbo, but it's a Mk7 Golf R :pardon:

loserlee
Site Supporter

Post by loserlee » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:18 am

The 2020 Minnesota Neons Fall Cruise is going to be held on Saturday, October 3.

Starts at Birkmose Park (50 Coulee Road) in Hudson, Wisconsin at 9 a.m. and ends at J&J BBQ (208 North Main Street) in Nelson, Wisconsin for lunch. Various stops will be made along the way for pictures.

Facebook Event page:

Midnight Rider
Neon Enthusiast

Re: Minnesota Neons Fall Cruise

Post by Midnight Rider » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:08 am

Does anyone know of a self-service car wash in Eau Claire? I called a dealership there are was told there are none. I would like to wash my car before the cruise.

loserlee
Site Supporter

Post by loserlee » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:13 pm

Midnight Rider wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:08 am Does anyone know of a self-service car wash in Eau Claire? I called a dealership there are was told there are none. I would like to wash my car before the cruise.
I did a quick google search and came up with Eau Claire Car Wash which appears to be self-service at 2925 Starr Ave, Eau Claire, WI 54703.

I know for sure there's one in Hudson because people used it at N2K, but I'm not sure which one... Croixland Cleaning Center popped up in google at 900 Industrial St, Hudson, WI 54016, which is 3 minutes away from the park where the cruise starts.

---

For anyone not interested in the cruise, there are a few people (mostly me) that just meet at the lunch spot. We usually cross the river and get photos under the bridge in Wabasha so there's time to check out cars and chat.

Midnight Rider
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Midnight Rider » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:03 am

Thanks for the info. I had spent some time Wednesday night, trying to find a car wash using Google but thought that calling the dealership might be a smarter move. I was really hoping that whoever I reached in the service department at the Eau Claire Chrysler dealership would have invited me to use their facilities- I did tell him that I have an SRT-4 and that this is for a car cruise but that didn't seem to make a difference. I did see that one you mentioned- I'll check again.

If I make the cruise, I will be arriving too late in Hudson to use the one there. As much as I don't want everyone to see my car when it is dirty after a long drive, unless I do it on Friday, scheduling a wash might be impossible. As it is, I had to take Friday off from work so that I can break up the drive and stay overnight before meeting up at Hudson.

I would really appreciate someone PM'ing me with his phone number (in case I get lost during the cruise!). I don't have a smartphone and my flip phone doesn't accept text messages. Or maybe I should follow your advice and just show up for lunch?

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:46 am

Midnight Rider wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:03 amI did tell him that I have an SRT-4 and that this is for a car cruise but that didn't seem to make a difference.
Maybe if you would've offered them a $100 tip, they would've squeezed you into their busy schedule........ :grin:
My True Story:
My older sister/husband sent me a selfie of them taking a test ride in a newer Corvette. They posted, "Going for a joy ride in our "dream car"
I immediately posted back......" Why dream small, I can put you in the driver's seat of a neon for a fraction of the price".......

U-Pulls are like a box of Chocolates.......you never know what you're going to find...... ;)

Oldest GUY on the .ORG with an ACR, a NYG, AND a R/T

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:41 am

Midnight Rider wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:03 am I did tell him that I have an SRT-4 and that this is for a car cruise but that didn't seem to make a difference.
You do realize we now own dinosaurs in the realm of the car world. I would imagine a huge percentage of the people working in dealerships don't even know what a neon is any more (unless you live in Mexico.... :grin: ).....kind of like the Plymouth models....gone for almost 20 years now.
My True Story:
My older sister/husband sent me a selfie of them taking a test ride in a newer Corvette. They posted, "Going for a joy ride in our "dream car"
I immediately posted back......" Why dream small, I can put you in the driver's seat of a neon for a fraction of the price".......

U-Pulls are like a box of Chocolates.......you never know what you're going to find...... ;)

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:49 am

Midnight Rider wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:03 am I was really hoping that whoever I reached in the service department at the Eau Claire Chrysler dealership would have invited me to use their facilities- I did tell him that I have an SRT-4 and that this is for a car cruise but that didn't seem to make a difference.
I'm sure with COVID, they are still limiting the number of people in their dealerships to only what's necessary to satisfy warranty and car sales/needed repairs. And might not even have the "courtesy" people there to do that stuff.

Not to mention the liabilities of letting a customer use their equipment. I'm sure if you had service done, they might wash it, but I kind of doubt it. When we recently took the wife's Forester in for the airbag recall, they didn't wash it. In the past, it got a wash no matter what.

Not that it ever really needed washed. It sits in the garage 95% of the time. But that was their policy, until COVID hit.
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:52 am

PA ACR wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:41 am
Midnight Rider wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:03 am I did tell him that I have an SRT-4 and that this is for a car cruise but that didn't seem to make a difference.
You do realize we now own dinosaurs in the realm of the car world. I would imagine a huge percentage of the people working in dealerships don't even know what a neon is any more (unless you live in Mexico.... :grin: ).....kind of like the Plymouth models....gone for almost 20 years now.
Yeah, it's not like a neon carries much clout anymore, in any trim level. Not that they really had much, as a whole anyways. The pros and cons of a niche market. They are important to us, but the other 99.99995% of people in the world could give a ...
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

Midnight Rider
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Midnight Rider » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:35 am

Received my WI state highway map in the mail today. Still waiting for the IL one.

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:23 am

Midnight Rider wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:35 am Received my WI state highway map in the mail today. Still waiting for the IL one.
:scratch:
My True Story:

Midnight Rider
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Midnight Rider » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:16 am

Yes, I still used printed maps- no smartphone or GPS.

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:38 am

Printed maps are generally reliable, but once I was using a fairly new back roads map, and there was an entire section of highway that had been changed, and it wasn't correct on the map. It was obvious that it wasn't brand new construction. It was more than a few years since it had been changed.

So getting to where I needed to be was pretty interesting. This was before I owned a cell phone or GPS. Had to use good old intuition, and some sense of direction....

At least now, I can use Google Maps on my phone, if an old map or my GPS doesn't quite do the trick. Usually between the three, a path can be found.

My phone is the last resort, because by then, I have pulled off the road...
- Bill

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:36 pm

Midnight Rider wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:16 am Yes, I still used printed maps- no smartphone or GPS.
:good:
I still take my Ipad everywhere (no internet connection so I have to stop at McDs to use their WiFi) and use Bing Maps if I have to. I usually write out a complete route on a piece of paper using that site before I leave. I've traveled so much, I always have a pretty good idea where I'm at and which direction I need to go. Plus Bing Maps has a Bird's Eye view in addition to the Road Map so I can see the names of all the addresses and buildings.
My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:46 pm

occasional demons wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:38 am My phone is the last resort, because by then, I have pulled off the road...
The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. My wife gave me her old IPhone and I've been using it for about the past year. It has a maps app which gives you your location and how to get to where you want to go. I was looking for a house south of Frederick, MD on a rural road/had the directions written out and it was closed because of construction. There were no detour routes posted so I was on my own. These rural roads were very windy and it was almost impossible to get a bearing of which direction I was going. Eventually used the phone to figure out how to get there.
My True Story:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:16 pm

GPS and phone apps are definitely a lifesaver when there are surprise detours. And the GPS gives you information without having to take your eyes off the road, you only need to listen to it in reality.
- Bill

loserlee
Site Supporter

Post by loserlee » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:12 am

A few pictures from the meet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

loserlee
Site Supporter

Post by loserlee » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:13 am

A few more...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

loserlee
Site Supporter

Post by loserlee » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:13 am

A few more...

loserlee
Site Supporter

Post by loserlee » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:14 am

and a few more...

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:48 am

What's the story behind this........ :shock:
Surely can't be too safe....hope it was towed in.

See Wiggins made it with Mike's R/T......
My True Story:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:00 pm

The camber don't look so bad in this pic, if that's what you are talking about. I think it was just a trick of the camera.

The rot, I have seen far worse neons in my area being driven. There is one 2gn, that the driverside dogleg is so bad, they punched a hole through the door and body, and ran a ratchet strap to keep the back door shut. :shock:
- Bill

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:05 pm

occasional demons wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:00 pm The camber don't look so bad in this pic, if that's what you are talking about. I think it was just a trick of the camera.
Yea, I was talking about camber.....don't see how you can get that much with a trick of the camera, but I guess it's possible.... :scratch:
occasional demons wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:00 pm The rot, I have seen far worse neons in my area being driven. There is one 2gn, that the driverside dogleg is so bad, they punched a hole through the door and body, and ran a ratchet strap to keep the back door shut. :shock:
I've seen worse here in PA too even though we have annual inspection laws......no holes in the shell that you can see through..... :nea:

It wouldn't pass here without some patches.....
My True Story:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:36 pm

PA ACR wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:05 pm
occasional demons wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:00 pm The camber don't look so bad in this pic, if that's what you are talking about. I think it was just a trick of the camera.
Yea, I was talking about camber.....don't see how you can get that much with a trick of the camera, but I guess it's possible.... :scratch:
I think it is because it is such a wide picture. You can see it in the bridge also, how the image is bent to fit.

It is sort of common I guess with digital cameras?

I have noticed it with some pictures my phone takes, depending on the angles, etc. I didn't think it was intentional by any means.
- Bill

Midnight Rider
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Midnight Rider » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:09 am

I would have made it if the pandemic wasn't going on, I swear. I had reservations in Eau Claire and time off from work all scheduled. Sure looks like I missed a lot of fun. Please try again in the late spring.

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:45 am

Midnight Rider wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:09 am I would have made it if the pandemic wasn't going on, I swear.
I agree, but I don't think you have to give up living just because of it. We have been going to a lot of places and doing a lot of things all summer/fall, but being smart about it. Most of the events/places I've been to people are wearing masks and staying pretty far apart and they've been outdoor activities where there is less chance of getting any type of germ. Pretty much like driving a car....the more preventive and smart you are and follow the highway laws...the less chance of an accident....... :wink:

Hope this doesn't turn into another pandemic thread......... :grin:
My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:55 am

occasional demons wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:00 pm Image
The camber don't look so bad in this pic, if that's what you are talking about. I think it was just a trick of the camera.
After looking at this pic, I have to agree that it was probably camera angle. It's just weird none of the other pictures of the cars looked like this one did. I think another reason is the picture I was referring to, the car was much further away and I blew it up (I probably never would have noticed it,but I was using my computer trying to count the number of cars and when I clicked on the picture, it super enlarged it) which may have magnified the wheel angles.... :dunno:
My True Story:

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:16 am

According to my count......
ten 1st GNs
six 2nd GNs
two non neons.

It still amazes me how the popularity of the 1st GNs is still strong. I've been going to U-Pulls all summer/fall and been amazed at the number of 2nd GNs still there AND untouched. Tons of almost any part imaginable and for cheap. Engines, wheels, accessories, interiors, body parts, you name it, they're easy to find and still in great condition......

Unfortunately, I think there would still be a lot of 1st GNs in U-Pulls, but their success in circle track racing has completely decimated their numbers......almost impossible to find them here in Pennsylvania anymore....and from what I'm hearing almost any place in the U.S. too....... :cry:
My True Story:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:47 am

From what I see in my area, is while 1st gens do rust, they don't rust as quickly as 2nd gens. One a 2gn begins, it spreads like COVID in a crowed room. :lol:

My '01 was in great shape, until it wasn't. It only took about a year to really blossom. A lot of it goes undetected from inside, then burst out with a vengeance.

My '99 has had the same rust around the filler neck since I got it, in 2012, and has not really spread that much in the past 8 years.

Hope this doesn't turn into another pandemic thread......
:blush:
- Bill

Return to “Neon Events”