Motor Mount pictures?

The 1st Gen Board is for general questions regarding the first generation of Neons (1995 - 1999.) Rumors, hints, tips-and-tricks, and all general maintenance and repair questions belong in this forum, as well as beginning modification queries.
Skellibert
Neon Enthusiast

Motor Mount pictures?

Post by Skellibert » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:06 pm

I have been searching the Gen1 forum for info on motor mounts, but one thing I need which I have not been able to find, are pics that will allow me to confirm the position of the sleeves within the mounts.
I found the Excellent "Installing Prothane bushings" posts from Case (alpinegreenneon), which give me everything I need to do the job I am about to, but I need some photos which will clearly show me the positions of the "bolt sleeves" within each of the mounts.

Due to the excessive prices of getting such things from the US to Australia, I have had to resort to casting my own poly inserts.
I have all the materials I need, but I can't find any second hand mounts here, so I will have to use the mounts out of the car.

All of this means that I have no accurate measurements to position the sleeves, and I doubt I can trust the mounts out of the car for position (when I get them out). The front mount at least is basically non-existent now. Haven't looked closely at the others yet.... :scratch:

If anyone has some mount pics that are from directly side on (i.e. looking straight down the middle of the sleeves), I can then scale those pics from my mounts and set the position with reasonable accuracy.

For example, the last pic in the "passenger side mount" post is exactly what I would need for the other two.

If nothing comes up in the next couple of days, I will do my best to judge them of the other photos in Case's excellent write up.

My intention is to remove the mounts, remove all of the rubber material, clean the mounts and sleeves, and pour polyurethane resin into the existing mounts with the sleeves secured in position.

Nice little project for me.....

Oh yeah..... possibly important details...... 1997 SOHC manual

Thanks guys,

Dave.
This space left blank intentionally.

alpinegreenneon
Super Moderator

Re: Motor Mount pictures?

Post by alpinegreenneon » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:37 am

Front motor mount:
Case

98 Sport Coupe DOHC Alpine Green ATX stock
98 Sport Coupe DOHC Amethyst ATX to MTX swap
95 NYG ACR Coupe (restored)
03 Dakota QC 4.7 4x4 ATX Patriot Blue stock (Sold)
16 Dart SE 2.0L Laser Blue Pearl stock
16 Dart SXT 2.0L TorRed stock
18 Ram 1500 standard cab 3.6L Delmonico Red stock

Skellibert
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Skellibert » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:04 pm

Excellent - thank you very much.
The transmission side mount is the only I need now, but I think that one is in pretty good shape, so I don't know if I will do that one or leave it. (Will see when I am in process.
I don't have a good way to lift the motor, so I will be doing the mounts one at a time - I just don't want the motor floating loose, so it will sit on two (and the jack), while one is out being done.
Makes the job longer, but that's all I got.
Thanks!

Skellibert
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Skellibert » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:29 pm

:sad: :nea: :sad:
Took out the front mount, used a wire brush wheel on the drill to "grind" out the old rubber - bonus is that it nicely "Scuffs" the metal surfaces for the Poly to bond to.
Mashed together a "bracket" to hold it all while I poured the poly and waited for it to cure. Still had a leak out the bottom...... :blush: :grin:

Anyway, the mount is ready to go back in, but I discovered that the engine bracket that the mounts bolts to is broken.
One tab has broken clean off, but it will still do up nice and tight for now.

The problem is that nobody over here can get me another one.
Chrysler said not available, and no parts store around here has anything at all......
The wreckers just laugh.

It looks like I will have to take it somewhere to get one made......

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:01 am

If the tab is/was still bolted to the engine, have it welded back on. If not, have a thick washer welded in place. Might need to grind it to fit right, but it should do the trick.
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

Skellibert
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Skellibert » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:34 am

It is with a small engineering shop right now.
All the bolts were still in place but loose, hence why it broke....
But I have the two bits and all bolts.
The guy looked at it and said it should be no problem.
I have to trust him as the only other option is to buy a complete car for parts........ which my wife would never agree to. :lol: and I can't afford anyway.....
Pick up the repaired bracket in about half an hour. $50 for the job, which is better than I expected, assuming it goes to plan.
Then I should be back on the road.

Funny, I have three cars - the work one which is near new and working fine; the Neon, which is our daily and currently without motor mount; 1985 fj62 Landcruiser, whose clutch master cylinder failed yesterday.
1 out of three running currently....... :lol:

Skellibert
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Skellibert » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 am

OK then - I got the mount back yesterday arvo, but had other things to do, so I didn't get to put it in until this morning.
Not a perfect fit, but I got it on and tight - will check in a few a days for tightness.
Now for the results:
I was concerned about the "shore hardness" that was recommended by the poly shop - they gave me some shore A 80 resin, and I have seen and read some others complaining about harshness with that hardness of poly, but the shop was clear on it - this was the right stuff.

I am pleasantly surprised that there is almost no vibration from idle right through to speed.
But at this stage it is only the front mount. It may be different if I need to do the others.

Tight, and almost no engine movement as you rev it.

I am happy with the job at this point. We will see how long it lasts, but it should be long lasting.

This is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

Thanks for the help - especially Case with the previous write up. :grin:

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Post by occasional demons » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:17 am

Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 am

Some people don't know the difference. :lol:
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

Skellibert
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Skellibert » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:26 am

occasional demons wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:17 am

I do admit to 'enjoying' driving it as much as I can.... :lol:

mike_leahcim
Neon Enthusiast

Post by mike_leahcim » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:19 am

occasional demons wrote:

There is difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1996 Dodge Neon MTX - 2.0 DOHC/SRT-4 Turbo Swap - 36# injectors - 60mm MPx TB - Mopar Short Throw Shifter - Depo Lights - SRT4 Intercooler - Booger Bushings - OBX UDP- 'Race' Motor Mount Inserts - Running 5psi of boost with a Begi FMU

2005 Dodge Neon Srt-4
2015 Dodge Dart Rallye 2.4 Stock

My Project Log - http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=392625

Return to “1st Gen”