Two Questions

The 1st Gen Board is for general questions regarding the first generation of Neons (1995 - 1999.) Rumors, hints, tips-and-tricks, and all general maintenance and repair questions belong in this forum, as well as beginning modification queries.
anthony underwood
Neon Enthusiast

Two Questions

Post by anthony underwood » Fri May 24, 2019 1:11 pm

1. On the weather strips for the door glass, has anybody found anything that can be put on them so it won't put black all over the side of the car when washing, or black on your hans any time you touch it? Besides putting news ones on? I think I bought the last new one around, but that was just side. Also, on the package tray in the back where the speakers are, was that some kind of special carpet that does not filter the sound?

occasional demons
Master Neon Mechanic

Re: Two Questions

Post by occasional demons » Fri May 24, 2019 1:18 pm

Are we talking a coupe, where the strips are at the bottom edge of the window (outside of course)?

I generally wax mine with liquid wax every now and then. You must wipe it off while still wet, and keep polishing until it dries. That takes off the chalky rubber, and keeps it decent for a while.

The carpet, I'm not sure. I don't think it hinders sound too much. I keeps crap from getting all over the speaker cone, so that's why I have never messed with it. Easier to vacuum carpet, than to clean a nasty woofer cone. And it keeps the sun light from degrading the cone too.
- Bill

desmodromic wrote:You have to remember what's important here, while they make New humans everyday, they'll never make another Neon.
Skellibert wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 amThis is a daily by the way, not a track car or fun buggy.

anthony underwood
Neon Enthusiast

Post by anthony underwood » Fri May 24, 2019 1:46 pm

On the weather strips, I'm talking 4 door. On the carpet, mine is starting to disintegrate.

vahispd
Site Supporter

Post by vahispd » Fri May 24, 2019 8:59 pm

I just read a tip a few days ago about keeping weather strips looking good. Now I have to find it again...
John

'99 Expresso sedan, DOHC, ATX, black - blown engine, parting out
'98 R/T coupe, white w/ stripe delete - new project June 2015, started working on her again Oct 2018

anthony underwood
Neon Enthusiast

Post by anthony underwood » Sat May 25, 2019 3:58 am

The weather strips look good and seal the glass, but the rubber is dead and everyttime you touch it you black all over you.

Midnight Rider
Neon Enthusiast

Post by Midnight Rider » Sat May 25, 2019 7:34 am

I've always used silicone spray on weatherstripping, usually applying it twice yearly.
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4, Stage 2 with Toys- original owner!

PA ACR
Achievements Unlocked

Post by PA ACR » Sat May 25, 2019 8:36 am

anthony underwood wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:11 pm Also, on the package tray in the back where the speakers are, was that some kind of special carpet that does not filter the sound?
Yes, if you lift that carpet up to the light, you can see right through it where the speakers are located.
My True Story:
My older sister/husband sent me a selfie of them taking a test ride in a newer Corvette. They posted, "Going for a joy ride in our "dream car"
I immediately posted back......" Why dream small, I can put you in the driver's seat of a neon for a fraction of the price".......

U-Pulls are like a box of Chocolates.......you never know what you're going to find...... ;)

Oldest GUY on the .ORG with an ACR, a NYG, AND a R/T

vahispd
Site Supporter

Post by vahispd » Sat May 25, 2019 6:40 pm

vahispd wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:59 pm I just read a tip a few days ago about keeping weather strips looking good. Now I have to find it again...
Well I can't remember where I saw the tip (darn CRS) but they used liquid shoe polish to improve rubber and plastic parts. The Kiwi type with the sponge applicator but I don't recall the exact procedure.
John

'98 R/T coupe, white w/ stripe delete - new project June 2015, started working on her again Oct 2018

NickKo
Global Moderator

Post by NickKo » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:05 pm

Midnight Rider wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:34 am I've always used silicone spray on weatherstripping, usually applying it twice yearly.
I do the same.

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 52mm TB; Maddog STS
-1999 4-dr DOHC ATX= went to car heaven (junkyard)
-2000 Ply.LX with MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; R/T muffler + Header
-2001 Ddg.ES ATX = UDP, Magnum Header; + Syked PCM 'pending'

-1971 Ply.Scamp SL6cyl. ('Horse Traded' away)
-1968 Chry.300 w/440 V8 (sold)
"MoPar or No Car"

vahispd
Site Supporter

Post by vahispd » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:26 am

vahispd wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:40 pm
vahispd wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:59 pm I just read a tip a few days ago about keeping weather strips looking good. Now I have to find it again...
Well I can't remember where I saw the tip (darn CRS) but they used liquid shoe polish to improve rubber and plastic parts. The Kiwi type with the sponge applicator but I don't recall the exact procedure.
Found it! Perhaps dusterbd13 can provide some application tips?
dusterbd13 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:33 pm
restored my rear window surrounds with a tip from GRM using shoe edge and sole stuff.

michael
I'm going to experiment with the shoe stuff and the silicone on my Expresso. Should be fun.
John

Return to “1st Gen”